JustinTyme

Aug 23, 2020
Right here, Right Now
bwi.forums.rivals.com
Parker Washington - 95 yds, 2 TDs
Brenton Strange - 45 yds
Keyvone Lee- not a great day today but has emerged as the top back
Jaquan Brisker - 9 tackles, 6 solo, 1.5 TFL, INT
Shane Simmons - 7 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 2 TFL (great for him in his first start on senior day)
Curtis Jacobs - 4 tackles, all solo

I like seeing some of these younger guys emerging and maybe Brisker and Simmons have reason to return after all.

Brenton Strange - 45 yds
Shane Simmons - 7 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 2 TFL (great for him in his first start on senior day)

I like seeing some of these younger guys emerging and maybe Brisker and Simmons have reason to return after all.
Add Juice Scruggs and Caedan Wallace to that list.

Brenton Strange - 45 yds

Simmons is applying for social security. Brisker is rated the #3 safety in the draft....
Some young guys did get crucial PT and are progressing. All of this needs to be tempered with the knowledge that we didn't beat any good teams.
The best that can be said is our guys are largely young, should improve with the experience and unlike most fans here......didn't quit when the chips were down.

Simmons is applying for social security. Brisker is rated the #3 safety in the draft....
Some young guys did get crucial PT and are progressing. All of this needs to be tempered with the knowledge that we didn't beat any good teams.
The best that can be said is our guys are largely young, should improve with the experience and unlike most fans here......didn't quit when the chips were down.
1) Why the attack on Simmons? By all accounts he is a great kid from a good family and has been a great teammate. He is coming on and he should get credit for a great performance in his first start.

2) Show us where you are seeing Brisker as the #3 safety in the draft. I just looked at several updated drafts and his name doesn't appear in any of them. If he returns and performs like he is starting to now, then yes, he will be selected high.

I'll tell you who I am seeing in these updated mock drafts in the Big 10:

Justin Fields
QBOhio StateJunior
Micah Parsons
LBPenn StateJunior
Kwity Paye
EDGEMichiganSenior
Rashod Bateman
WRMinnesotaJunior
Jalen Mayfield
OTMichiganRS Sophomore
Wyatt Davis
IOLOhio StateRS Junior
Pat Freiermuth
TEPenn StateJunior
Rashawn Slater
OTNorthwesternSenior
Shaun Wade
CBOhio StateRS Junior
Josh Myers
IOLOhio StateRS Junior
Aidan Hutchinson
EDGEMichiganJunior
Chris Olave
WROhio StateJunior
Jayson Oweh
EDGEPenn StateRS Sophomore
Rondale Moore
WRPurdueJunior
Cameron McGrone
LBMichiganRS Sophomore
Daniel Faalele
OTMinnesotaJunior
Shaka Toney
EDGEPenn StateRS Senior
Haskell Garrett
IDLOhio StateSenior
Jack Sanborn
LBWisconsinJunior
Pete Werner
LBOhio StateSenior
Nico Collins
WRMichiganSenior
Nick Eubanks
TEMichiganRS Senior
Baron Browning
LBOhio StateSenior
Mohamed Ibrahim
RBMinnesotaRS Junior
Jake Ferguson
TEWisconsinRS Junior
Jeremy Ruckert
TEOhio StateJunior
Ihmir Smith-Marsette
WRIowaSenior
Ambry Thomas
CBMichiganSenior
Tyreke Johnson
CBOhio StateRS Sophomore
Master Teague
RBOhio StateRS Sophomore
Brenden Jaimes
OTNebraskaSenior
Tyler Linderbaum
IOLIowaRS Sophomore
Ronnie Bell
WRMichiganJunior
Tyreke Smith
EDGEOhio StateJunior
Peyton Hendershot
TEIndianaRS Junior
Whop Philyor
WRIndianaSenior
Tariq Castro-Fields
CBPenn StateSenior
Trey Sermon
RBOhio StateSenior
Carlo Kemp
IDLMichiganRS Senior
Josh Imatorbhebhe
WRIllinoisRS Senior
Alaric Jackson
OTIowaRS Senior
Dicaprio Bootle
CBNebraskaRS Senior
Naquan Jones
IDLMichigan StateRS Senior
Cole Van Lanen
OTWisconsinRS Senior
Lorenzo Neal
IDLPurdueRS Senior
Marcelino Ball
SIndianaRS Senior
Joshua Ross
LBMichiganSenior
Michael Penix Jr.
QBIndianaRS Sophomore
Xavier Henderson
SMichigan StateJunior
Jahan Dotson
WRPenn StateRS Junior
This was updated Dec 4th. 2021 NFL Draft Prospect Rankings | The Draft Network

If you prefer, CBS Sports (didn't use that one since it still included Journey Brown) 2021 NFL Draft Prospect - Position Rankings - CBSSports.com

Here is another updated Dec 11 with the top 10 at each position and no Brisker to be found. Daniel Garrett's December Positional Rankings « (nfldraftrite.com)

Reactions: royboy
I remember Brisker written up in the freak athlete article that also had Micah and Oweh in the write up. He may do well at the combine and move up some boards.......no knowledge but reading the articles today, if I was betting, I would bet on him leaving. He could be a nice mid round pick as a box Safety.

I remember Brisker written up in the freak athlete article that also had Micah and Oweh in the write up. He may do well at the combine and move up some boards.......no knowledge but reading the articles today, if I was betting, I would bet on him leaving. He could be a nice mid round pick as a box Safety.
Ranked 27 as a safety by at least 1 site. If he runs 4.6 at the combine he isn’t getting drafted as a safety maybe somebody thinks he can play LBer.

Could be interesting if a couple stay...
Menet - Think he moves on and gives NFL a shot and could be a depth player, not started. Brains will go a long way, FA signing
Fries - Ditto, however, with his size another year would really help. Don't see him drafted, FA signing.
Dotson - Hold on tight on this one, stock up. Could use another year of getting stronger; however, $ now? 4th / 5th round ... 40 time will determine round.
Brisker - My pick for most improved player and I think staying and working on his speed could get him into first round NEXT year. Intriguing player that is going to generate a lot of interest. Draft positions hinges strictly on his 40 time. 4.6 - FA, 4.5 - 5th/6th round, 4.4 - first two rounds
Wade - No shot at NFL; too small and too slow. Would not surprise me if he wanted one more year.
Shelton - No shot at NFL; was disappointed in his play. Very inconsistent and had high hopes for him.
Oweh - Another intriguing pick who needs another year, however, like Dotson, $ now? late second, early third round.
Castro Fields - If he wants to even dream of NFL he has to come back.
Simmons - Nice game yesterday. He's not an NFL future player but any help at DE next year is welcome. After five years in the program I don't see it.
Toney - Disappointing year. If he has aspirations he better stay, otherwise, FA.

Last edited:
I do hope that Brisker comes back.....I think with Brisker / Porter / Keaton Ellis/Hardy/Marquis Wilsom and some of the freshman coming in last year and this year.....would be perhaps a strength. I want to see more of Dixon and Jacobs at linebacker.

Would like to see Shelton come back and get more time for Beamon who really surprised me with his burst. The roster lists him as 6'3" and 298, he looks to be about 270 lbs......moves very well for such a big guy. Brandon Smith needs to make more plays next year but he looks like he will have a long NFL career. He can cover and blitz well, I want to see him make more plays when he is playing the run and navigating blocks and wrapping up the RB. Jacobs and Smith outside with Luketa inside would be ok.....Luketa has to work on seeing the field and recognizing plays along with his quickness. Luketa also has the bad habit of being that guy who flies up to hit the RB/WR as they are being tackled for him to get an assist when he does very little of the tackling and he often is close to being whistled for late hits/targeting...... Need to find DEs next year if Oweh is gone, not convinced that Simmons is the answer if he comes back, but he may be our best option. I do believe that Issac can be a productive starter. Would like Oweh to come back......most of the posters on this board seem to think that he is gone.........

Call me crazy but I think Shane Simmons could/should stay. I think he could contribute next year and who knows, if he can stay healthy, maybe he could work his way into the draft.

If Oweh returns, the other DE will be the most important part of the defense IMHO. PJ with Beamon will be a really good tandem inside. The LB's all return and the corners will be very good. I am concerned, however, with the safeties. Brisker would be a Godsend if he returns.

Call me crazy but I think Shane Simmons could/should stay. I think he could contribute next year and who knows, if he can stay healthy, maybe he could work his way into the draft.

It’s not unheard of - remember Michael Haynes became a first round pick after a stellar senior season. Simmons has to stay healthy.

Menet needs another year, and Fries is nfl ready. I want Dotson to stay as a fan, but he is better served in the draft. I think he runs closer to a 4.4 now with great hands. Our qb situation is so f’d up that there is no reason for him to stay. Brisker and castro-fields should stay to refine their games. Oweh is making a mistake if he jumps as he needs to convert that athleticism into more visible in-game results to get into the 1st round the following year.

Shelton outplayed Mustipher for most of the season.... IMO. Oweh had no sacks and for an “edge” rusher that is not good to the draft nicks. I see Brisker returning. Same with Dotson. Life as a free agent is difficult at best. There really isn’t a lot of room under the 85 ship limit for many of the seniors to return. Positions of need are on the defense so any help there will be looked at first.

I saw a mock that had Walker going late first. Hope Oweh and him return. They both need to get bigger and stronger. Plus work on technique. Also, hope Dotson returns. But, I think he will leave

If both Toney and Oweh move on, then Simmons could theoretically move into a starting role next year. The only other DE who has seen meaningful snaps is Adisa Isaac who is going to be a stud. The other guys on the depth chart have not done much to date, so maybe Simmons could stay if he is able to stay healthy. We saw how Simmons played yesterday and I would like to see more.

Reactions: LionsandBear
Menet - Think he moves on and gives NFL a shot and could be a depth player, not started. Brains will go a long way, FA signing
Fries - Ditto, however, with his size another year would really help. Don't see him drafted, FA signing.
Dotson - Hold on tight on this one, stock up. Could use another year of getting stronger; however, $ now? 4th / 5th round ... 40 time will determine round.
Brisker - My pick for most improved player and I think staying and working on his speed could get him into first round NEXT year. Intriguing player that is going to generate a lot of interest. Draft positions hinges strictly on his 40 time. 4.6 - FA, 4.5 - 5th/6th round, 4.4 - first two rounds
Wade - No shot at NFL; too small and too slow. Would not surprise me if he wanted one more year.
Shelton - No shot at NFL; was disappointed in his play. Very inconsistent and had high hopes for him.
Oweh - Another intriguing pick who needs another year, however, like Dotson, $ now? late second, early third round.
Simmons - Nice game yesterday. He's not an NFL future player but any help at DE next year is welcome. After five years in the program I don't see it.

Nice thoughts.

If Fries comes back and plays Guard at a high level I can see him being a late round draft pick.

It sure would be great to build PSU's 2021 WR corps around Dotson. But with Stubblefield in his 2nd year of developing the WR talent I believe Washington would have more help to open the 2021 season than Dotson had to open this season if Dotson decides to try the NFL.

I believe you are euphoric regarding Brisker. Although he is the player I would most like to see return from those on the list, that is because he seems to have the potential to improve the most due to his limited time at PSU getting B10 coaching and game experience, and his seemingly very good athletic talent, he can increase his measurable by returning and spending another year in the PSU S&C program but he will likely still not have day 1 measurables for a top NFL Safety. But coming back could very well give him the improved tools and resume to get a bigger contract and increase his chances to play in the NFL.

Pretty obvious that Wade does not have an NFL body. But when he returned a couple kickoffs yesterday he did show some very good speed. It's just that he doesn't seem to play fast as a DB. I don't see him coming back as he wants his chance at the NFL. Wish him well as he chases that dream.

Oweh has seemed to be an enigma this short season. He's had games with lots of tackles, seeming to show his improved ability to play the run, but as of now is not an elite pass rusher. He is too small to play much every down DE in the NFL, and doesn't seem to show the instincts to make a smooth transition to NFL LB. But PSU will direly need DE talent on the field in 2021 so I'm hoping he comes back, bigger and stronger and shows he can be a TJ Watt type of NFL pass rusher which would dramatically improve his NFL resume. I believe we won't have dominant DE play, as with C.Brown, Nassib, ..., until we have bigger, more physical DE's that can still rush the passer. 250 lb DE's just don't hold up consistently against top 10 team running games. Oweh seems to have the frame to be a monster DE, but he'll need to have a great year in the S&C program to get there. Isaac is pretty small as well and I see his ceiling more like Toney's. I hope there are some young DE's coming that have the frame to be dominant (Mostella?).

Simmons would have the opportunity for regular playing time at PSU in 2021, with Toney not in the lineup. But as you said he's already been at PSU for 5 years and it seemed like his good game yesterday was the end of his PSU career.

Shelton outplayed Mustipher for most of the season.... IMO. Oweh had no sacks and for an “edge” rusher that is not good to the draft nicks. I see Brisker returning. Same with Dotson. Life as a free agent is difficult at best. There really isn’t a lot of room under the 85 ship limit for many of the seniors to return. Positions of need are on the defense so any help there will be looked at first.
Get the total snaps for the year between the two and I'll bet you an adult beverage that the staff thought Mustipher was much better without a doubt.

Reactions: Carl Spackler
Toney - Disappointing year. If he has aspirations he better stay, otherwise, FA.

isnt Clifford also a senior by class, who could come back for 5th year?

Did every player get a free year this year? I thought Menet was already a 5th year player now.

Menet would get drafted in the 3rd or 4th round. He won't be a free agent.
Fries won't get better with another year. He might be a free agent.
I don't think Wade helped himself this year but he could still be a late round pick.
Shelton could be a 7th round pick or Free Agent.
I think Oweh goes early and will be drafted based on his athleticism.
I'd like Simmons to come back but I doubt he will.
Brisker has the most to gain by returning.
I'd really hate to lose Walker or Mustipher.

He's generally graded out well, but his stat sheet is pretty empty. When's the last time a guy with basically nothing to show for his college career went in the first 2 days?
I dunno, doesn’t matter. Teams draft based on grades, measurables and interviews and Oweh is in great shape on all 3

I saw a mock that had Walker going late first. Hope Oweh and him return. They both need to get bigger and stronger. Plus work on technique. Also, hope Dotson returns. But, I think he will leave
Why do you think he needs to get bigger?

Oweh 6’5 252
YGM 6’5 264
Vic Beasley 6’3 246
Von Miller 6’ 2.5 246
Montez Sweat 6’6 260
K’Lavion Chasson 6’3 254

Just my .02, there is very little value, either for the player or the program, to a 5th year kid coming back for year 6. In year 5 you are as good as you are going to get. The exception would be a kid who has been injured and needs that extra year to show what they can do. I don't envision anyone being invited back for year 6. I think it's possible Brisker and Castro-Fields could be back for year 5 and they should both have that option.
There is also a point when you have to open the door for younger players. That means guys like Vilbert, Vanover, Izzard, Beamon, Tarburton, etc... need to see a path to playing time, otherwise what is their incentive in the off season? I love Shane Simmons, and his mom, but next year should be Tarburton's time and I think he can be at least as effective as Shane, maybe more so.

Reactions: bison13
Why do you think he needs to get bigger?

Oweh 6’5 252
YGM 6’5 264
Vic Beasley 6’3 246
Von Miller 6’ 2.5 246
Montez Sweat 6’6 260
K’Lavion Chasson 6’3 254

Because he doesn't have the pass rushing motor of any of the accomplished pass rushers you listed......... and those elite pass rushers were elite pass rushers in college, which Oweh is not.

Reactions: Mister Magoo
Just my .02, there is very little value, either for the player or the program, to a 5th year kid coming back for year 6. In year 5 you are as good as you are going to get. The exception would be a kid who has been injured and needs that extra year to show what they can do. I don't envision anyone being invited back for year 6. I think it's possible Brisker and Castro-Fields could be back for year 5 and they should both have that option.
There is also a point when you have to open the door for younger players. That means guys like Vilbert, Vanover, Izzard, Beamon, Tarburton, etc... need to see a path to playing time, otherwise what is their incentive in the off season? I love Shane Simmons, and his mom, but next year should be Tarburton's time and I think he can be at least as effective as Shane, maybe more so.

The value to the program for a true Sr. or a 5th year Sr. coming back would be to address a position weakness. Most of the players you listed regarding DE depth are not DE's, and projecting Tarburton as a starting DE on a good B10 defense is still a projection and doesn't address the fact that a good B10 defense needs at least 4 good DE's. Isaac looks like he will be one. From what I have seen Smith Vilbert has shown very little ability to be a first team DE on a good defense. I don't believe Simmons would come back, but if Oweh leaves it would be a value to the team to have Simmons as the 2nd or 3rd DE.

The position that I see as even more dire depth wise is Safety, given that I can't see Sutherland as a starting Safety on the good B10 defense. That's why I'm hoping Brisker returns. From what I have seen I believe the other starting 2021 Safety will be JI'AYIR BROWN, who has made his share of tackles this season as a backup. It was his block on special teams that sprung Dotson through the 2 defenders on his way for a TD on the punt return yesterday as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT