ADVERTISEMENT

Mauti on the 24/7 podcast

PSUSignore

May 29, 2001
http://pennstate.247sports.com/Bolt/Lions247-PODCAST-Mauti-joins-to-talk-PSU-NCAA-and-more-107431316

Skip ahead to 17:12 to get straight to the Mauti interview.

Interesting stuff from Mauti, I could listen to him all day and I have a tremendous amount of respect for him. I wanted to hear more about the conflict between the team and the admins, especially the interactions with Joyner in that bowl game decision meeting and on the plane with the beer. This is the first time I've heard of the story with wanting to fight the USC coaches. Also I'm not surprised he essentially took a shot at the PSU admins by saying how a school like Texas would have reacted much differently, confirming that at least some of the players also feel that the school acquiesced to the NCAA when they should have stood up for the program.

Reactions: Bob78 and Sharkies
USC, eh? Does he talk about Silas in there? Asking for a friend.
Yep, that's the premise of the fight basically. His story was that USC coaches called Mauti to get Redd's phone number, which obviously pissed him off. He gave Silas the number, then later heard rumors that all of the USC coaches were meeting Silas at his home in Connecticut. So Mauti and Zordich were gassing up the car to drive there and kick their asses when O'Brien called and talked them down.

http://pennstate.247sports.com/Bolt/Lions247-PODCAST-Mauti-joins-to-talk-PSU-NCAA-and-more-107431316

Interesting stuff from Mauti, I could listen to him all day and I have a tremendous amount of respect for him. I wanted to hear more about the conflict between the team and the admins, especially the interactions with Joyner in that bowl game decision meeting and on the plane with the beer. This is the first time I've heard of the story with wanting to fight the USC coaches. Also I'm not surprised he essentially took a shot at the PSU admins by saying how a school like Texas would have reacted much differently, confirming that at least some of the players also feel that the school acquiesced to the NCAA when they should have stood up for the program.

To say that Joyner was disliked by staff, coaches, athletes, and former players is the understatement of the month. His time as AD should be stricken from the PSU records, and a "Vacant" sign posted for that period. Same with Erickson as Pres.

Reactions: Ski and BBrown

Good one. Thanks for sharing.

To say that Joyner was disliked by staff, coaches, athletes, and former players is the understatement of the month. His time as AD should be stricken from the PSU records, and a "Vacant" sign posted for that period. Same with Erickson as Pres.
Rodney was there to light the match after Kenny and company poured the accelerant.

I liked the part where he invited Joyner to meet with the team then made him wait outside while they voted to play in the bowl game. Seems it pissed him off and Mauti enjoyed that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT