ADVERTISEMENT

Podcast Matt Zollers is gone, so where does Penn State go next?

These kids study depth charts and study their competition at the schools that are recruiting them. When you look at the PSU depth chart at QB right now, it’s a crowded potentially talented room. It’s not so much that the QBs recruits are afraid of competition, it just makes common sense to go where you have the potential quickest path to play.
So nice to have rational logical, reasonable posts. I have one four star QB in house and the next two up are extremely promising quarterbacks. Do we even need to get one more.....would be nice. I don't care where they come from as long as they are competitive. Never noticed Alabama over the last decade crying and whining because they didn't get quarterbacks from Alabama that got them from other states. Clemson, same way. There's plenty of grown up on 10th to be reported by those that follow Penn State. I'm ready, for more of that!

So nice to have rational logical, reasonable posts. I have one four star QB in house and the next two up are extremely promising quarterbacks. Do we even need to get one more.....would be nice. I don't care where they come from as long as they are competitive. Never noticed Alabama over the last decade crying and whining because they didn't get quarterbacks from Alabama that got them from other states. Clemson, same way. There's plenty of grown up on 10th to be reported by those that follow Penn State. I'm ready, for more of that!
Alabama is not crying and the premise is false. Stud players routinely go to schools with stacked dept charts. Clemson , Alabama. and Georgia can have three five stars in a row lined up at any position. OSU has five star after five star at wr. Psu has studs at safety and rb.

Reactions: GregInPitt
These kids study depth charts and study their competition at the schools that are recruiting them. When you look at the PSU depth chart at QB right now, it’s a crowded potentially talented room. It’s not so much that the QBs recruits are afraid of competition, it just makes common sense to go where you have the potential quickest path to play.
Not really true. The reality is they go to schools with great dept and if they don't play then they just transfer.

Alabama is not crying and the premise is false. Stud players routinely go to schools with stacked dept charts. Clemson , Alabama. and Georgia can have three five stars in a row lined up at any position. OSU has five star after five star at wr. Psu has studs at safety and rb.
Yeah, but Bama, UGA and OSU all have had QBs transfer because of stacked qb rooms. I’m thinking about Hurtz (Bama), Daniels (UGA), Ewers (OSU) and Fields (UGA), to name a few. So, those schools may get multiple “studs” to commit at qb, but very seldom do they all stay there when they see that their playing time is blocked or compromised.

Yeah, but Bama, UGA and OSU all have had QBs transfer because of stacked qb rooms. I’m thinking about Hurtz (Bama), Daniels (UGA), Ewers (OSU) and Fields (UGA), to name a few. So, those schools may get multiple “studs” to commit at qb, but very seldom do they all stay there when they see that their playing time is blocked or compromised.

Nobody is disputing that they transfer out. The difference is, OSU and Bama have 5*s competing with 5*s, somebody wins the competition and the other guy or 2 transfer out. This gives them the best chance of not missing out on great QB play.

Not getting Zollers stinks because 1. He was a top 100 QB 2. Apparently we desire a 2 QB class (or Zollers would have taken Kritza's spot, whichever way the staff hoped for). The PA thing is irrelevant or much further down the list. If NIL was the key thing, it probably needs addressed in the near future by either getting a high end kid next year or bringing in a portal QB that is high quality.

Currently we have an incumbent 5* competing with a 3*, a 3/4ish* (who is now hurt), and a 4*. Does that sound like a future playoff room by itself?

Nobody is disputing that they transfer out. The difference is, OSU and Bama have 5*s competing with 5*s, somebody wins the competition and the other guy or 2 transfer out. This gives them the best chance of not missing out on great QB play.

Not getting Zollers stinks because 1. He was a top 100 QB 2. Apparently we desire a 2 QB class (or Zollers would have taken Kritza's spot, whichever way the staff hoped for). The PA thing is irrelevant or much further down the list. If NIL was the key thing, it probably needs addressed in the near future by either getting a high end kid next year or bringing in a portal QB that is high quality.

Currently we have an incumbent 5* competing with a 3*, a 3/4ish* (who is now hurt), and a 4*. Does that sound like a future playoff room by itself?
I’m not trying to be overly optimistic because I’m a skeptic by nature, but PSU’s current qb room is about as promising and deep as all but the very elite programs. As. others have posted, PSU probably is an 8 to 12 program, so it’s not relevant to compare it to what the top 4 or 5 programs can do; PSU currently isn’t at that level and it never may get to that level, which doesn’t mean that it can’t have a season or two out of every five when it can be considered to be a top 5 program,

Reactions: NJPSU
I’m not trying to be overly optimistic because I’m a skeptic by nature, but PSU’s current qb room is about as promising and deep as all but the very elite programs. As. others have posted, PSU probably is an 8 to 12 program, so it’s not relevant to compare it to what the top 4 or 5 programs can do; PSU currently isn’t at that level and it never may get to that level, which doesn’t mean that it can’t have a season or two out of every five when it can be considered to be a top 5 program,

And it may very well be, but Zollers would have greatly improved it and forced better competition.

It's always relevant to compare unless we play down a level. We are after the same playoff championship they are. I don't expect their consistency, but they are the measuring stick.

When were we last a top 5 program? Franklin has had 3 teams that were close, but none were arguably top 5. Just curious: why do you think we will possibly have a season or 2 out of 5 where we could be top 5 in the future? What is your basis for this thought?

And it may very well be, but Zollers would have greatly improved it and forced better competition.

It's always relevant to compare unless we play down a level. We are after the same playoff championship they are. I don't expect their consistency, but they are the measuring stick.

When were we last a top 5 program? Franklin has had 3 teams that were close, but none were arguably top 5. Just curious: why do you think we will possibly have a season or 2 out of 5 where we could be top 5 in the future? What is your basis for this thought?
When it came time to select the playoff teams in 2016, wasn’t PSU considered to be the first team out, which essentially would’ve meant that they were considered to be a top 5 team? Also, PSU at least was in a position to be a top 5 team at the end of 2017, 2019 and 2022; it just would’ve taken one more victory. And let’s not forget that in several seasons since 2017, including this past season, PSU was ranked in the top 5 at some point.

Also, regarding the qb recruit in question, there’s probably a 1 in 3 or even 2 in 4 likelihood that he ends up transferring for whatever reason, and eventually may end up at a PSU with a lot more experience like Rucci.

Last edited:
When it came time to select the playoff teams in 2016, wasn’t PSU considered to be the first team out, which essentially would’ve meant that they were considered to be a top 5 team, Also, PSU at least was in a position to be a top 5 team at the end of 2017, 2019 and 2022; it just would’ve taken one more victory. And let’s not forget that in several seasons since 2017, including this past season, PSU was ranked in the top 5 at some point.

Also, regarding the qb recruit in question, there’s probably a 1 in 3 or even 2 in 4 likelihood that he ends up transferring for whatever reason, and eventually may end up at a PSU with a lot more experience like Rucci.
80% of 5* qbs transfer.

• Wow
Reactions: The Spin Meister

Greàtly improved? Maybe maybe not. The only way he improves the room is if he is really good himself. Of course if he jumps anyone on the depth chart then they transfer. That is reality. If zoller is a bust like MANY QBS then it was not even a loss. If his replacement is good or better then it was not a loss.

We might already have a better QB in THIS class.

Last edited:
You over value 5 stars particularly at this point in the process. PSU has 5 stars at safety? No, they don't. They are loaded with 4 stars. So, yours is the premise that is flawed.

Also, PSU at least was in a position to be a top 5 team at the end of 2017, 2019 and 2022; it just would’ve taken one more victory.
What part of in position and being is the same? I'm only replying to your words. JF has had us as a #6-#12 type of team about 50-60% of the time (I didn't Google this tho, so I could be wrong either direction).

Still, one more win is required and he just hasn't produced it. Im not upset. I just don't overrate it.

Greàtly improved? Not likely. The only way he improves the room is if he is really good himself. Of course if he jumps anyone on the depth chart then they transfer. That is reality. If zoller is a bust like MANY QBS then it was not even a loss. If his replacement is good or better then it was not a loss.

We might already have a better QB in THIS class.

Getting high end players does greatly improve your room. Only one can start, but you need as much quality depth as you can retain in the portal era.

A lot of ifs in your commentary. How about if Zollers is great? Just as likely as all of your ifs. We can hope our current commitment is great, but it's no different than Pitt fans hyping up their 2* Florida kids.

You over value 5 stars particularly at this point in the process. PSU has 5 stars at safety? No, they don't. They are loaded with 4 stars. So, yours is the premise that is flawed.
I never said we had 5 stars at safety. If you need to misquote me to make your point then your point is weak.

Getting high end players does greatly improve your room. Only one can start, but you need as much quality depth as you can retain in the portal era.

A lot of ifs in your commentary. How about if Zollers is great? Just as likely as all of your ifs. We can hope our current commitment is great, but it's no different than Pitt fans hyping up their 2* Florida kids.

Most schools don't retain depth at QB. Most of the top qbs transfer. 80% of 5*s transfer. 70% of top 50 QB recruits transfer.

If zollers is great then grunk and kritza probably hit the portal.

Most schools don't retain depth at QB. Most of the top qbs transfer. 80% of 5*s transfer. 70% of top 50 QB recruits transfer.

If zollers is great then grunk and kritza probably hit the portal.

Which is fine. At that point, you go get a journeyman type to be his backup.

The whole point is to get the best of the best and let talent and circumstance separate them. If you (as a staff) think Kritza is a diamond, you bring him in with a Zoller-type if you can (like the staff did with Beau).

Which is fine. At that point, you go get a journeyman type to be his backup.

The whole point is to get the best of the best and let talent and circumstance separate them. If you (as a staff) think Kritza is a diamond, you bring him in with a Zoller-type if you can (like the staff did with Beau).
I'll go on record. Zollers is just ok. Let's talk QB ranking in January. Then 2-3 years later.

Reactions: lazydave841
The staff wanted Zollers. He went elsewhere. Regardless of how hyped up people want to be for Beau and anyone not named Allar this was a miss and the staff wanting him proves that.

The staff wanted Zollers. He went elsewhere. Regardless of how hyped up people want to be for Beau and anyone not named Allar this was a miss and the staff wanting him proves that.
So? Didn’t Georgia also want him? Didn’t they also miss? Every time a recruit signs a letter of intent for a particular school, multiple other schools “miss”.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
So? Didn’t Georgia also want him? Didn’t they also miss? Every time a recruit signs a letter of intent for a particular school, multiple other schools “miss”.
Right. Georgia also missed. They shouldn't be happy either. It's worse though when your coach states we need to "dominate the state" then doesn't.

Right. Georgia also missed. They shouldn't be happy either. It's worse though when your coach states we need to "dominate the state" then doesn't.
Really. If the coach says they don't care about recruiting then everything is cool. Will you be happy or still complain?

Really. If the coach says they don't care about recruiting then everything is cool. Will you be happy or still complain?
Recruiting is always important regardless of what anyone says. I wouldn't care about keeping PA kids if he didn't claim that's his priority. If he's not doing that he's failing to meet his own expectations and what he has stated is vital to our success. He needs to recruit nationally and hopefully he changes his public stance off the "dominate the state" nonsense.

Recruiting is always important regardless of what anyone says. I wouldn't care about keeping PA kids if he didn't claim that's his priority. If he's not doing that he's failing to meet his own expectations and what he has stated is vital to our success. He needs to recruit nationally and hopefully he changes his public stance off the "dominate the state" nonsense.
Are you contributing to NIL?

Are we losing guys to Pitt like joe?

Why do you keep bringing up Joe with me? I criticize Joe all the time.
Who are you using for a comparison? Georgia/alabama? Didn't they lose zollers?
Missouri? Zollers was their first commit. Clemson? Had a worse record than psu last year.

The reality is you are not happy unless you are miserable and complaining.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
Who are you using for a comparison? Georgia/alabama? Didn't they lose zollers?
Missouri? Zollers was their first commit. Clemson? Had a worse record than psu last year.

The reality is you are not happy unless you are miserable and complaining.
Where am I complaining? We missed on a recruit. It happens all the time. The only thing I'm saying is Franklin needs to drop the "dominate the stare" rhetoric and, like Georgia, we missed on a recruit we wanted which is relevant.

Again, why did you mention Joe?

I would say that overall he has done real well recruiting Pennsylvania. I don’t think many people expected a 100% batting average. IMO, the only thing keeping him from getting some of the talent he has missed on is his poor record against OSU and Michigan which has kept him out of the playoffs. IMO, that’s a legitimate criticism, not losing this one recruiting battle.

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
I would say that overall he has done real well recruiting Pennsylvania. I don’t think many people expected a 100% batting average. IMO, the only thing keeping him from getting some of the talent he has missed on is his poor record against OSU and Michigan which has kept him out of the playoffs. IMO, that’s a legitimate criticism, not losing this one recruiting battle.
My issue with the "dominate the state" mantra is that if that's your stated goal you can't lose a top kid (arguably) to Mizzou. I'd rather him just focus on recruiting in general then to say that nonsense.

My issue with the "dominate the state" mantra is that if that's your stated goal you can't lose a top kid (arguably) to Mizzou. I'd rather him just focus on recruiting in general then to say that nonsense.
When did Franklin say that? Which decade? Do things ever evolve?

Who is dominating the state? Missouri? I will set the over under on 1.5 top 10 commits the last 10 years.

Who has the most top 10 commits from pa the last ten years? Who has the most this year. Psu is the only school with more than one. Psu will probably end up with about 5 of the top 11 on 247.

Pennsylvania only has 9 four stars on 247. Texas has 45 and Florida has 42. Should psu put all their attention on Pennsylvania or target some other more talented states?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
You are way overreacting to look at losing Zollers and then say Franklin is not living up to dominating the state because of it. We are not getting every top ten player in PA. If you thought that based on his statement then that was your mistake.

Is he dominating the state? He is getting a lot of the top players. I looked it up...

2022 6 of top 10
2023 6 of top 10
2024 4 of top 10
2025 2 of top 10 so far. If we get only 2 then that will be disappointing.

Pretty good overall especially factoring in that there are some players we just don't need and don't go after hard. OSU can swoop in and get a few and so can Michigan as well as others. Clearly PSU has gotten the most top 10 players from PA over the recent years. PA is a priority but given the drop in PA talent over the years we have to get guys in other states to try to keep up.

You are way overreacting to look at losing Zollers and then say Franklin is not living up to dominating the state because of it. We are not getting every top ten player in PA. If you thought that based on his statement then that was your mistake.

Is he dominating the state? He is getting a lot of the top players. I looked it up...

2022 6 of top 10
2023 6 of top 10
2024 4 of top 10

Pretty good overall especially factoring in that there are some players we just don't need and don't go after hard. OSU can swoop in and get a few and so can Michigan as well as others. Clearly PSU has gotten the most top 10 players from PA over the recent years. PA is a priority but given the drop in PA talent over the years we have to get guys in other states to try to keep up.
2025 is not that disappointing. We have 3 of the top 11. Probably the favorite of two more. Looks like we are holding those two off for higher rated out of state guys.

Who is dominating the state? Missouri? I will set the over under on 1.5 top 10 commits the last 10 years.

Who has the most top 10 commits from pa the last ten years? Who has the most this year. Psu is the only school with more than one. Psu will probably end up with about 5 of the top 11 on 247.

Pennsylvania only has 9 four stars on 247. Texas has 45 and Florida has 42. Should psu put all their attention on Pennsylvania or target some other more talented states?
You aren't dominating the state if you aren't getting the top guy every single year. Coaches at other schools aren't desperate enough to use nonsense like this.

Penn State shouldn't be focused on PA. The focus should be nationally.

2022 6 of top 10
2023 6 of top 10
2024 4 of top 10

In no way are those numbers "dominating"
We agree on the last sentence. Time to drop the mantra and just recruit.

There's no overreaction to not getting Zollers as long as they find an QB that's the equivalent in terms on potential. Pretending it's the end of the world or not a big deal is delusional. It's a miss for a potential elite QB in the state he claims he needs to dominate. You can't lose that guy if you're going to have that focus. It's that simple.

Pennsylvania only has 9 four stars on 247. Texas has 45 and Florida has 42. Should psu put all their attention on Pennsylvania or target some other more talented states
Your analysis is spot on ! I distinctly recalled when he said , it, was during a post recruiting interview and he caught up in the moment. And I thought that will haunt him for ever, and every year , we rehash it . I do not believe he has ever repeated that statement.

Last edited:
You aren't dominating the state if you aren't getting the top guy every single year. Coaches at other schools aren't desperate enough to use nonsense like this.

Penn State shouldn't be focused on PA. The focus should be nationally.
Is there a top guy every year?

If we should not focus on pa they why are you complaining when we do not focus on pa?

Who cares what he said like 7 or 8 years ago or whenever about PA recruiting. Just freaking beat OSU for God's sake.

Reactions: SR108
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT