ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Millen

Prayers to my classmate. Went to the ‘78 Sugar Bowl to see them play Alabama. Clark and Miller are an all time great duo of d-lineman that would dominate games. C’mon Matt you got this! We’re praying for you!
BB

They were quite a pair.
wYKrE9X.jpg

Thoughts and prayers to Matt and Miles.

Scary that someone that big tough and strong can be ravaged by a disease at a relatively young age.

In the wake of the scandal, Matt Millen helped keep the program together:

July 31, 2012 – Penn State’s Letterman’s Club offer their support
Giving only five days notice, O’Brien sent 1,000 invites to Nittany Lion letterman, asking for their help in explaining what it means to play football for Penn State. Around 500 letterman attended the meeting, including former standouts Franco Harris, Todd Blackledge, Jack Ham, and Matt Millen.

Millen delivered the most powerful speech of the night, receiving thunderous applause from current and former players that lasted an entire minute.

“Forget about what you lost,” Millen said. “This is what you have. I can only promise you, you will have a brotherhood. You may not realize it now, but that’s worth more than anything.”​
Thank you for posting that. I had no idea. My best to Matt.

Prayers to my classmate. Went to the ‘78 Sugar Bowl to see them play Alabama. Clark and Millen are an all time great duo of d-lineman that would dominate games. C’mon Matt you got this! We’re praying for you!
BB

My classmate too. Hope he gets well.

Loved the 4 Briarwood Bashes I attended. One of the highlights of the school year.

Ditto the prayers for both of these Lions.

I remember that when Millin & Clark played, I actually felt sorry for opposing quarterbacks. If I remember correctly they did an absolute Eric Stratton on a freshman Schlichter (sp?) from Ohio State.

I remember Clark running over the Rutgers QB who was set up near the back of the end zone. Knocked him towards the stands. Clark was also quite a basketball player as well. Got into some games with him at Rec on Sunday nights. When the games broke up on one of those evenings I remember Clark hanging around and playing 1 on 1 with a 6'8"+ player from the varsity BB team.... What an athlete he was. Super nice guy as well. I'll be rooting for his walk on son.....

Last edited:
Ditto the prayers for both of these Lions.

I remember that when Millin & Clark played, I actually felt sorry for opposing quarterbacks. If I remember correctly they did an absolute Eric Stratton on a freshman Schlichter (sp?) from Ohio State.
I remember seeing them tag-team some poor sonofabitch from the Rut at about his own 15 one day.

The Rut QB got up slow and began weaving/staggering toward the PSU bench, before his own players guided him back toward his own sideline.

Life is a shooting gallery, we are the ducks. No matter what happens, I pray for Matt Millen and his family to hold closely and steadfastly to their faith.

Reactions: step.eng69
I remember Clark running over the Rutgers QB who was set up near the back of the end zone. Knocked him towards the stands. Clark was also quite a basketball player as well. Got into some games with him at Rec on Sunday nights. When the games broke up one of those evening I remember Clark hanging around and playing 1 on 1 with a 6'8"+ player from the varsity BB team.... What an athlete he was. Super nice guy as well. I'll be rooting for his walk on son.....
I remember well that hit on the Rutgers QB in the south end zone. In hundreds of games I’ve watched, that had to be the most violent tackle I’ve ever seen. During games when it rains, there’s a birdbath puddle where that QB got planted into the turf by Bruce Clark; not sure they’ll ever be able to fix that indentation. As Mike Lange would say “that QB’s kids were born dizzy after that hit”.

The guy in the film, Andy Melosky, is the father of Austin Scott's high school coach., Rob Melosky. Andy played quarterback at old Allentown High, and at Wyoming, for Bob Devaney. He is still one rough customer.
I know Matt since he was a skinny 117 lb freshman. He did work in fieldhouse at Whitehall, for which he had a key, because his strength coach got sick of driving over to open up. He was 185 as a sophomore, 235 as a Junior, and 255 as a Senior. There were no steroids. There was halushki, halupki, goulash, chicken paprikas, and iron. He worked his ass off for everything. I respect the guy tremendously. We, here in Whitehall and Coplay are praying for good health for Matt.

I know lots of you hate Matt's guts, but I am copying a text from a friend of mine who went to school with one of Matt's brothers. Any one who might care about him, please say a prayer for him.

"Are you aware that Matt Millen is in bad shape? He needs a heart transplant. He has a very rare blood disease, that destroys organ tissues. His disease is attacking his heart. His heart is only 25-30% fuctional. He is currently at the Mayo Clinic, in Minnesota. Will get transferred to a Los Angeles hospital where they will do the surgery, when a heart becomes available. This is very disturbing!"

Moderators, if this outside the rules, please delete.

This description of Millen's condition makes no sense:

1) why would he get transferred away from arguably the best hospital in the world?

2) if he has a rare blood disease that destroys organ tissues (whatever that could be), why would they put in a new heart, only to be destroyed?

This description of Millen's condition makes no sense:

1) why would he get transferred away from arguably the best hospital in the world?

2) if he has a rare blood disease that destroys organ tissues (whatever that could be), why would they put in a new heart, only to be destroyed?
Just passing on what I was told by a very reliable source.

I know lots of you hate Matt's guts, but I am copying a text from a friend of mine who went to school with one of Matt's brothers. Any one who might care about him, please say a prayer for him.

"Are you aware that Matt Millen is in bad shape? He needs a heart transplant. He has a very rare blood disease, that destroys organ tissues. His disease is attacking his heart. His heart is only 25-30% fuctional. He is currently at the Mayo Clinic, in Minnesota. Will get transferred to a Los Angeles hospital where they will do the surgery, when a heart becomes available. This is very disturbing!"

Moderators, if this outside the rules, please delete.

I believe this is the disease that took out Mayor Caliguiri from Pittsburgh in the last 70's or early 80's. Known to exist in those of European descent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT