ADVERTISEMENT

Matscout's TFW 5-16-23

82bordeaux

Nov 19, 2019
eriespecialty.com
Just listened to Willie's TFW this morning. He goes into the recent Iowa woes.
He just methodically disassembled their rebuilding plans. It's a good thing that the Ferrari sympathizers all canceled their Rokfin accounts. They wouldn't like it.
giphy.gif

Just listened to Willie's TFW this morning. He goes into the recent Iowa woes.
He just methodically disassembled their rebuilding plans. It's a good thing that the Ferrari sympathizers all canceled their Rokfin accounts. They wouldn't like it.
giphy.gif
Can you summarize it? Thanks

Can you summarize it? Thanks
Well, the crux of the matter was:
A. Cody Chittum was training in the HWC room for the better part of 8 months. During that time he was never offered a scholarship deal from TnT. So that and the recruitment of the Ferraris are what lead to Cody signing with Iowa State. They could have locked him up, but didn't whether it was the fact that the family had $ and maybe they could get him cheap, or TnT not being that impressed with what they saw of him, or any other reason. But the bottom line was they didn't lock up the #1 PFP kid in his class and left him a free agent.
B. Although Willie stated that the Ferrari parents have been nothing but great with his interactions, AJ and Anthony have had many issues stretching from trouble at Allen High, to Blair, and Stillwater High. Anthony has had issues with teammates, jumped Cael Hughes, and other scraps. AJ had the car wreck, His twig and berries ending up on social media, his sexual assault pending case, and his continuous social media confrontations. He went into the fact that Anthony had been previously training in Minnesota but not in the Gopher room. A Minny coach told him the fact that he was in town causing rumors was negatively affecting recruiting. He stated that Greg Kerkvliet's decommitt from OKST was due in part to AJ's recruitment by the coaching staff.

So then Willie offered some commentary on the rebuild that Iowa needs to do after losing Spencer, Teske, Woods, Murin, Brands, Assad, Warner, and Cass in a 2 year period and if they are hanging their hats on F3, then there may be some problems effectively doing that. He said they have some good guys coming in Like Arnold and Keuter and he hopes they wrestle well for them and that he hopes they are successful reloading being Iowa wrestling is fun to watch.

I was paraphrasing here and there because I didn't want to re-listen, so if I was inaccurate @smalls103 feel free to point out corrections.

He also mentioned the gambling investigation and though he did not name names, he stated it involves very important wrestlers to their lineup. He also states that if said athletes bet $500 or more, by the book, they would lose an entire year of eligibility. He stated that deals can be made to lessen the punishment but he believes the punishments will be significant.

He also mentioned the gambling investigation and though he did not name names, he stated it involves very important wrestlers to their lineup. He also states that if said athletes bet $500 or more, by the book, they would lose an entire year of eligibility. He stated that deals can be made to lessen the punishment but he believes the punishments will be significant.
Correct, and for the record Willie said he is not a fan of these kind of penalties for annual betting totals at these levels.

Yikes, their brutal offseason is about to get worse.

Last edited:
I’m about 20 minutes in. Pretty juicy. Sounds like a lot of college coaches are anticipating carnage if BNic’s Ferrari plan pans out. Essentially saying “good luck with that”

Reactions: goldenanimal
No doubt the Brands are pursuing the Ferarri's out of desperation. As with most human beings on earth, decisions made out of desperation usually don't end as originally planned.

I think Iowa lands the two younger Ferraris for sure. The program is boxed into a corner, and this (in their minds) is the only acceptable outcome.

I also suspect AJ's trial never happens. Either he takes a plea, or more likely they pay off the victim and the state drops the case without access to the key witness. There remains a small chance AJ returns to collegiate wrestling, I just don't see it happening.

Whether or not AJ wrestles for Iowa is somewhat inconsequential. I think the presence of the younger 2 changes the culture there for the worse, AJ will definitely be around his brothers, maybe remains in town training at the HWC to be near his brothers as he preps for MMA or WWE.

Iowa probably gets a full season or two out of the kids before some taudry event catches up with them, and the whole house of cards built on the crazies comes tumbling down.

It will be interesting to see if Bob feeds sizeable NIL to either but if the same $200k+ numbers get bandied about, that too could lead to disharmony amongst the vets on that team, let alone rumors that other current team members aren't high on the Ferraris.

The list of potential unintended consequences are lengthy enough, that if the relationship ends very badly due to an incident or string of incidents, even the Brands' could proove at risk at the end of this road.

Desperation or not, it's as clear as day to me that the Ferrari clan represents the most intense risk/reward tradeoff I have seen in a long time. I think Tom Brands is not dumb, but he is simplistic, and is blinded by the reward side of this equation.

I like the idea of a strong Hawkeye squad, that continues to push our team. The Ferraris will absolutely provide talent in some key weights for them. The Ferraris will also provide some twisted entertainment for us HVI faithful, and loads of new thread opportunities. It's just too hard to look away.

In the end however, I feel badly for the direction the Hawk's program has taken recently. From Jesuroga, to Spencer, to Chittum, to Nagao, to Truax, to the betting scandal. Has anyone seen a more painful string of bad karma? All the while PSU has enjoyed an ultimate string of great news during the same time period.

Spencer's mother's meme is symbolic for the program itself at the moment, and I don't consider that entertainment.

I don’t think there’s any way AJ gets into Iowa, TnT can try all they want but I don’t think that happens. So now we just have to hope the younger two brothers and the rest of the family choose Iowa. Please make it happen

Reactions: Ski
I don’t think there’s any way AJ gets into Iowa, TnT can try all they want but I don’t think that happens. So now we just have to hope the younger two brothers and the rest of the family choose Iowa. Please make it happen
How about Papa Ferrari as new strength coach?

Reactions: goldenanimal
Desperation or not, it's as clear as day to me that the Ferrari clan represents the most intense risk/reward tradeoff I have seen in a long time. I think Tom Brands is not dumb, but he is simplistic, and is blinded by the reward side of this equation.
Also, I do believe the Ferrari brothers are making a good initial impression on the team so far. They are in the Honeymoon phase though. Of course Anthony will be polite and well behaved just getting there and introducing himself to the team. Surely he isn't going to say "This is my team now, you need my help"

The blinders might be on (because he sees the potential) and Brands truly believes they are good kids and under his guidance, they can stay that way. He's ignoring all other evidence. The AJ Ferrari phase at Oklahoma State started out peachy as well, he was goofy and he was cringey but he actually was well liked for that. He was the face of a team that drastically overachieved and even John Smith was sticking up for him as "misunderstood but a good kid" after 2021 NCAAs.

But eventually they get comfortable and believe they're past the trial phase of behaving well. Candidly, I wouldn't rule out Brands taking Anthony knowing he likely won't ever get past the school part (apparently he has to do some kind of classes to get into Iowa in January) so he can land Angelo and say "we really tried with your brother" But I also don't think he's that cunning lol.

Last edited:
What about the sister? Hopefully we can get her involved in team activities some how.
What about Team Photographer?
Yeah. She was center stage for some of the Mastro/Middle Ferrari activities. Was it her, or AJs girlfriend's acticle of clothing that made it way onto the OSU modeling runway? Wonder if the GIA and Bob give her the new nickname they use for a girl that dates more than one guy in her life?

Well, the crux of the matter was:
A. Cody Chittum was training in the HWC room for the better part of 8 months. During that time he was never offered a scholarship deal from TnT. So that and the recruitment of the Ferraris are what lead to Cody signing with Iowa State. They could have locked him up, but didn't whether it was the fact that the family had $ and maybe they could get him cheap, or TnT not being that impressed with what they saw of him, or any other reason. But the bottom line was they didn't lock up the #1 PFP kid in his class and left him a free agent.
B. Although Willie stated that the Ferrari parents have been nothing but great with his interactions, AJ and Anthony have had many issues stretching from trouble at Allen High, to Blair, and Stillwater High. Anthony has had issues with teammates, jumped Cael Hughes, and other scraps. AJ had the car wreck, His twig and berries ending up on social media, his sexual assault pending case, and his continuous social media confrontations. He went into the fact that Anthony had been previously training in Minnesota but not in the Gopher room. A Minny coach told him the fact that he was in town causing rumors was negatively affecting recruiting. He stated that Greg Kerkvliet's decommitt from OKST was due in part to AJ's recruitment by the coaching staff.

So then Willie offered some commentary on the rebuild that Iowa needs to do after losing Spencer, Teske, Woods, Murin, Brands, Assad, Warner, and Cass in a 2 year period and if they are hanging their hats on F3, then there may be some problems effectively doing that. He said they have some good guys coming in Like Arnold and Keuter and he hopes they wrestle well for them and that he hopes they are successful reloading being Iowa wrestling is fun to watch.

I was paraphrasing here and there because I didn't want to re-listen, so if I was inaccurate @smalls103 feel free to point out corrections.
Sounds like a solid recap, it's appreciated.

Reactions: therod
Willie also added a bleak picture, he doesn't seem to think any of the Top 2025 kids have Iowa near the top.

It makes sense (my analysis, not Willie's) Most of the top kids are out East, have a hard time seeing them going to Iowa as is right now (if what is being said is true). LaDarion Lockett is at Stillwater, which you basically pencil in for Oklahoma State. Even if he likes Iowa, I'm sure he knows the Ferrari story especially well.

Good news for Iowa is those kids aren't even allowed to be contacted yet and wouldn't sign until late 2024 so situation can easily be rectified.

Reactions: Sullivan
Willie also added a bleak picture, he doesn't seem to think any of the Top 2025 kids have Iowa near the top.

It makes sense (my analysis, not Willie's) Most of the top kids are out East, have a hard time seeing them going to Iowa as is right now (if what is being said is true). LaDarion Lockett is at Stillwater, which you basically pencil in for Oklahoma State. Even if he likes Iowa, I'm sure he knows the Ferrari story especially well.

Good news for Iowa is those kids aren't even allowed to be contacted yet and wouldn't sign until late 2024 so situation can easily be rectified.
you have more faith in brands than i do apparently lol i think the goose is cooked

you have more faith in brands than i do apparently lol i think the goose is cooked
Well Ferrari's often rectify themselves also don't forget. They aren't ever at one place very long. If they're gone by next March, plenty of time for Brands to set up visits.

Well Ferrari's often rectify themselves also don't forget. They aren't ever at one place very long. If they're gone by next March, plenty of time for Brands to set up visits.
Idk if the program brand will recover though. The vibes have been pretty bad the last couple years and getting worse.

I still can’t believe they didn’t lock Kem dog up..
imo he’d be the best HWC addition even better than spencer since he could wrestle with the guys.
he has to be the one that got away..

I still can’t believe they didn’t lock Kem dog up..
imo he’d be the best HWC addition even better than spencer since he could wrestle with the guys.
he has to be the one that got away..
That was weird when it happened. Kem seemed all in.

Any idea why he left? Never really thought he was going to leave.

Hey, I've got an answer! So I logged in to share. I listened to the 2023 0206 / Ep 410 of Wrestling Changed My Life on a road trip home from a UVA Dual in Feb and loved it so much, I put it through the AI transcriber with hopes to write about / amplify it someday.

Here's the text of that clip:

Michael Kemerer 4:24 Yeah, so it was kind of a process you know, after season ended last year, I didn't really know what my next move was gonna be and back at Iowa I was kinda talking with the coaches and everything and they were like, you know, it's really up to you what you want to do. So I had some places kind of reached out, wanted to see if I was interested in coaching, competing or if I was gonna do something completely different. And so Frank Perrelli reached out to me and was like, What are your thoughts post college and I said, you know, I don't know I just got out, I have a master's degree in finance. I was thinking I might go a nonwrestling role, but I love wrestling. I might want to keep competing. I was coming off a shoulder injury so I didn't know if I want to keep competing and I was like, I might want to coach too, and he was like well, we got all three. We got a great RTC. You can compete here if you want. They have the frog program, the gray shirts that come by the traditional red shirt route. So it was like you know, we'd love to have you come coach those guys and he's like, and we got to contact you know that he has a big healthcare business, name's Tyke(?) Would love to take you on, if you want to be with us in a finance role? So that was pretty pretty entertaining, especially because I didn't know which route I wanted to go. So they kind of like gave a little sampling of all three. So yeah, went out and checked it out and it seemed like the best fit.

Ryan Warner 5:46 That Spartan combat room that's attached is beautiful, isn't it?

Michael Kemerer 5:51 Oh, yeah, it's an awesome facility. It's cool. They have that the front area and the back area there too, is awesome.

Ryan Warner 5:56 Now the company you are working at Joe Sylvester works there. Who's a he's a Chicago guy who wrestled with, with Coach Koll at UNC. He's like an SVP at the company or have you come across him yet?

Michael Kemerer 6:10 I haven't. No.

Ryan Warner 6:12 so it was Aviva Health or where are you at now? Yeah, yeah. He, yeah, he was a national qualifier at UNC when Rob Koll was there and he coaches a really strong program in Chicago. Marmion Academy. And yeah, he works there. I was like, that's interesting. So the owner of that is a big wrestling guy?

Michael Kemerer 6:33 Yeah, he wrestled for Cornell back in the day and he's a big donor has a ton of support. He's helped out a lot of the former Cornell wrestlers and I think wrestlers, even from other programs, but he's, he's got a ton of former Cornell guys working for him. So he's a he's a huge resource for these guys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT