ADVERTISEMENT

Mass Bleaching Hits Great Barrier Reef Again: Like Watching Louvre ‘Burn To The Ground’

You are claiming to be open minded and basing your opinions on facts but you seem to value personalities above scientific consensus. Here is one of thousands of articles published over the past 25 or so years focusing on the Earth’s 6th mass extinction. Of course that’s the one caused by humans. The prior one was caused by an asteroid and brought about the demise of the dinosaurs.

Ah yes, scientific consensus. Those are both loaded words. As if conventional wisdom is never wrong and “science” is never unduly influenced by monetary or political considerations. Have you ever used your own brain (rather than simply lapping up somebody else’s agenda so that you can remain in the cool kids club). I have no problem with reasonable (as in socially and economically viable) efforts to limit pollution, make our air and oceans cleaner, etc., nor (I think) do the vast majority of people. I don’t, however, believe for one second that if we don’t immediately eliminate all fossil fuels, switch entirely to solar and wind power, drive only electric cars, eliminate air travel, start sleeping in tents, and adopt all parts of the green agenda, the earth is imminently going to become uninhabitable, nor do I believe that adopting such measures would erase or meaningfully reduce the forces of nature that control our climate. The hubris of many amazes me. In the long run, nature is going to win out every time. George Carlin, a comedian for God’s sake, had a healthier perspective on man vs nature than you.

If your point is the reef is recovering you’re dead wrong. Try reading the link you posted. It’s full of data about warming oceans, acidification and permanent coral loss. It takes centuries for coral reefs to recover, not years.
I'm no climate scientist, but over time I've become skeptical about all the alarmism and predictions of doom that never play out.

Warming oceans and acidification are certainly related subjects, but my only point was to share the good news about the recovery of the Great Barrier Reef.

This 4-minute video captures my mindset, however I'm willing to reconsider with new information. Thanks in advance.

Also, great news about Polar Bears which should make everyone pretty happy.

polar-bear-population-1950-2018.png

1110905_orig.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JJTopp99 and Pride
I'm no climate scientist, but over time I've become skeptical about all the alarmism and predictions of doom that never play out.

Warming oceans and acidification are certainly related subjects, but my only point was to share the good news about the recovery of the Great Barrier Reef.

This 4-minute video captures my mindset, however I'm willing to reconsider with new information. Thanks in advance.

I posted an article that you clearly did not read. I read the article you posted and it made it clear that the Barrier Reef is not "recovering" at all but that there are ups and downs on the general downward trend. Bottom line is we are already in the 6th mass extinction. It's not a prediction, it's an observation.

Reactions: tgar
You are claiming to be open minded and basing your opinions on facts but you seem to value personalities above scientific consensus. Here is one of thousands of articles published over the past 25 or so years focusing on the Earth’s 6th mass extinction. Of course that’s the one caused by humans. The prior one was caused by an asteroid and brought about the demise of the dinosaurs.

Agree with your desire to preserve biodiversity as best as we reasonably can. Article doesn't, however, touch on the Great Barrier Reef. Also on board with limiting pollution and working for cleaner air and water.

Reactions: JJTopp99

failed-climate-predictions.jpg

5_0.png

1_2.png

Reactions: JJTopp99
Agree with your desire to preserve biodiversity as best as we reasonably can. Article doesn't, however, touch on the Great Barrier Reef. Also on board with limiting pollution and working for cleaner air and water.
We all want clean water and air. The question is how to accomplish that balancing the impact on the economy and quality of life. The point I keep making is that CO2 emissions are going to continue growing rapidly regardless of what we do. China is building 43 new coal fired power plants. Are we going to prevent a trillion people in underdeveloped areas from moving into the middle class?

I'm not a climate denier but I'm also smart enough to see that apocalyptic climate predictions have been wrong time after time. I suspect this is because there are so many variables that scientists don't really know, and also because research funding depends on convincing the public about the urgency and severity of the situation.

We all want clean water and air. The question is how to accomplish that balancing the impact on the economy and quality of life. The point I keep making is that CO2 emissions are going to continue growing rapidly regardless of what we do. China is building 43 new coal fired power plants. Are we going to prevent a trillion people in underdeveloped areas from moving into the middle class?

I'm not a climate denier but I'm also smart enough to see that apocalyptic climate predictions have been wrong time after time. I suspect this is because there are so many variables that scientists don't really know, and also because research funding depends on convincing the public about the urgency and severity of the situation.
Completely agree with all of that.

...and that growing CO2 won't make a small anthill of difference in the global climate....(rolls eyes). This focused "concern" on CO2 is all BS to keep the gullible and easily led sheeple in a state of anxiety and concern over little more than nothing!

Snippet from the following link: A few other graphs from the Wei et al. (2021) paper shows just how ordinary and unexceptional the modern atmospheric CO2 and ocean pH levels are relative to the past.

Also: https://climaterealism.com/2021/09/...e-crisis-as-production-keeps-setting-records/

I never know quite what to believe with this stuff but I'm pretty sure of one thing. CO2 emissions will continue to grow regardless of what we do in the U.S. and western europe. Those two countries have more than a billion people that will be moving from poverty to a middle class lifestyle in the next few decades. That means they'll want to drive cars, air condition their homes, use electronic appliances, etc.

Exactly, not a single one of the literally thousands of leftist media's doom and gloom articles on climate over the last 50-60+ years has come true (thinking now about the predicted "palm trees in Chicago by the year 2000"; that was a laughable gem of an article). It's all piffle to keep those devoid of any critical thinking skills, thus easily led, in a state of anxiety and alarm so that they will be quite malleable to giving up their rights and freedoms to the globalist totalitarians pushing various "mandates". Too many rely on such ludicrous (cough, cough) "experts" such as AOC or that 16-year-old Swedish schoolgirl (Greta Humbug). All laughable rubbish!

Last edited:
Exactly, not a single one of the literally thousands of leftist media's doom and gloom articles on climate over the last 50-60+ years has come true (thinking now about the predicted "palm trees in Chicago by the year 2000"; that was a laughable gem of an article). It's all piffle to keep those devoid of any critical thinking skills, thus easily led, in a state of anxiety and alarm so that they will be quite malleable to giving up their rights and freedoms to the globalist totalitarians pushing various "mandates". Too many rely on such ludicrous (cough, cough} "experts" such as AOC or that Swedish 16-year-old schoolgirl (Greta Humbug). All laughable rubbish!
I keep trying to understand the motives for this nearly global "scientific consensus" ... nobody has made it add up for me.

All they say is, "97% of scientists agree. Who are you to disagree??"

Reactions: bdroc and JJTopp99
I keep trying to understand the motives for this nearly global "scientific consensus" ... nobody has made it add up for me.

There is no "consensus", that's BS too.

There is no "consensus", that's BS too.
I think the green crowd latched onto a study that showed 97% of those surveyed believed the data that showed a warming trend. I don't think they all agreed that the cause was exclusively man made or that the trend would yield apocalyptic results.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
Here is an article by a diver explaining how healthy the reef is. The claim that the reef was dying was based on aerial surveys. Professor Peter Ridd told the truth and the Lefties at his university go about firing him. Par for the course by both Lefties and warmists.

"To lament the dying Great Barrier Reef is politically correct, to question this is to risk being labelled a climate change contrarian. Yet my experience over 50 years of diving at the Great Barrier Reef – since January 2020 I have had the opportunity to scuba dive almost the entire length of the Great Barrier Reef from the Ribbon Reefs to Lady Elliot Island including dozens of reefs in-between – is that they are still exceptionally diverse and beautiful. The 2016 bleaching event was reportedly the most severe on record, particularly in the northern section including at the Ribbons Reefs, yet most of the reefs appear to be fully recovered.

When university professor Peter Ridd explained the extent of the misrepresentation back in 2015 in an email to a News Corp journalist, specifically that there are still healthy live corals in Bowen Harbour, while calling out a colleague claiming otherwise, he was reprimanded by James Cook University. To publicly demand some quality assurance of claims the reef is dead and dying is professional suicide." https://spectator.com.au/2021/06/fighting-for-the-truth-about-the-reef/

Reactions: ChiTownLion
Exactly, not a single one of the literally thousands of leftist media's doom and gloom articles on climate over the last 50-60+ years has come true (thinking now about the predicted "palm trees in Chicago by the year 2000"; that was a laughable gem of an article). It's all piffle to keep those devoid of any critical thinking skills, thus easily led, in a state of anxiety and alarm so that they will be quite malleable to giving up their rights and freedoms to the globalist totalitarians pushing various "mandates". Too many rely on such ludicrous (cough, cough} "experts" such as AOC or that Swedish 16-year-old schoolgirl (Greta Humbug). All laughable rubbish!
You don’t really travel much to remote places and talk with locals ever I take it. Which is cool as most folks don’t and most folks have a global view point similar to yours. Provincial, limited but common for sure.

Stick to the articles that prove your viewpoint like others posting in this thread, most folks lack curiosity.

Good news about forest fires -- despite the headlines, they are down 90% from 90 years ago in the U.S.

FAc0-lPVICEUkQn

Good news about forest fires -- despite the headlines, they are down 90% from 90 years ago in the U.S.

FAc0-lPVICEUkQn

That's because we clear cut all the forests, killed all the wildlife, and built housing and malls everywhere. The forests we have left suffer from horrendous fire management. #caring

Not sure if this is good news or bad news, or proof of global warming or cooling, "climate change" or just weather, but what do WE -- the all-knowing board of Tom McAndrew -- make of this news about the "coldest winter ever" at the South Pole? 🥶

BTW, loved the win tonight and feeling good about this squad. A win in Iowa City next week would be a huge step forward in pursuit of our goal; a loss would send everyone reeling. Not expecting a win but my gosh would that be uplifting.

Last edited:

The current Globalist (aka Markist) "90+% Big Lie" is that 95% (or thereabouts) of all COVID-19 hospital patients that are dying are unvaccinated. Apparently, that one was made up by two leftist journalist while having lunch, LOL. Shortly thereafter everyone in the MSM and Joe Biden as well are spouting this unverified garbage. Whenever I hear 90+% of anything now being spouted by our untrustworthy MSM "propaganda outlets" I immediately get suspicious.

A recent refugee from Communist China could not understand why Americans bother to follow the MSM. He said very few bother to listen to the news in Communist China because everyone knows it is 100% government controlled propaganda (much like what we get from our MSM now). We are quickly getting there, daily viewership is falling fast, for example, less than 900,000 Americans bother to watch the rubbish spouted by CNN on a daily basis anymore.

Good news!

There is more coral reef today in the GBR than has ever been recorded in the history of mankind!

Who should we credit for this unexpected miracle?

The current Globalist (aka Markist) "90+% Big Lie" is that 95% (or thereabouts) of all COVID-19 hospital patients that are dying are unvaccinated. Apparently, that one was made up by two leftist journalist while having lunch, LOL. Shortly thereafter everyone in the MSM and Joe Biden as well are spouting this unverified garbage. Whenever I hear 90+% of anything now being spouted by our untrustworthy MSM "propaganda outlets" I immediately get suspicious.

A recent refugee from Communist China could not understand why Americans bother to follow the MSM. He said very few bother to listen to the news in Communist China because everyone knows it is 100% government controlled propaganda (much like what we get from our MSM now). We are quickly getting there, daily viewership is falling fast, for example, less than 900,000 Americans bother to watch the rubbish spouted by CNN on a daily basis anymore.
Yes. The most important casualty of COVID 19 is the media…. Followed closely by the medical profession

How can people see the failed doom saying predictions and YET STILL believe the predictors?

It is the most amazing thing.

I get that most people have no choice but to trust someone - having no ability to actually understand atmospheric dynamics.

But can people not at least see that the prophet's predictions do NOT come true? They're never realized? That we didn't have "10 years to save the earth", that "severe weather isn't getting worse", that "Miami isn't underwater, or even approaching it".

How can people not see that even the doom sayers don't believe it - they buy oceanfront property, and STILL fly private jets.

How can people be so gullible?

Reactions: 91Joe95
Good news!

There is more coral reef today in the GBR than has ever been recorded in the history of mankind!

Who should we credit for this unexpected miracle?

Peter Ridd used contradictory and inaccurate numbers/statements in his July 23rd report, and his report was discredited by the rest of the community. While there was some level of recovery recently, it was a result of an unusual low amount of disturbances last year, and it did not reach record high levels. Coral reefs are very sensitive to their direct environmental conditions; if ocean temperatures continue to rise and the pH of the sea water keeps changing as a result, coral will continue to bleach and die faster than they can regenerate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT