ADVERTISEMENT

Marinelli vs Joesph Video; Overhooks/Trip Clearly Initiated By Joesph (6:40)

AT about 6:38 you see Marinelli punch his hand through and go for a bear hug. At 6:45 I see Marinelli sucking in Joseph.

What do you see different? All I can see is at 6:45 joseph kicks his leg. Having wrestled, I don't know if joseph was going for a move or reacting, but the 6:38 action tells me Marinelli was trying to set that up.

Banjo, if you don’t know what an inside trip is, no one will be able to make you see the point. It’s clear as day who initiated the throw.

Go watch finals match vs IMAR and earlier in year vs Massa. Same stuff. Obviously Maranelli defended much better in part due to I feel Cenzo “forcing it” compared to letting it happen (other guy pushing in)

Last edited:
AT about 6:38 you see Marinelli punch his hand through and go for a bear hug. At 6:45 I see Marinelli sucking in Joseph.

Marinelli doesn't do anything at 6:38. He briefly locked his hands under Cenzos left arm and over his neck at 6:42, but then quickly released it to defend what Cenzo was doing.

Cenzo clearly went for the inside trip first. Tom Brands coached Marinelli into being ready for it. Alex bulled him right to his back. Thanks for sharing the video FT. Fun to watch!

Marinelli locked up a bear hug, sucked in hips, and VJ's technique doesn't have the same form as the trip he hit. I think VJ reacted. I don't think he initiated.

I can appreciate that no one was in anyone else's mind and you may be right about his intention. This isn't clear as day he got countered. Maybe, maybe not. I hope you can see that AM welcomed this position instead of ran from it like he did previously, and he did suck in the hips and make actions indicating intent.

Marinelli locked up a bear hug, sucked in hips, and VJ's technique doesn't have the same form as the trip he hit. I think VJ reacted. I don't think he initiated.

I can appreciate that no one was in anyone else's mind and you may be right about his intention. This isn't clear as day he got countered. Maybe, maybe not. I hope you can see that AM welcomed this position instead of ran from it like he did previously, and he did suck in the hips and make actions indicating intent.

What do you see different? All I can see is at 6:45 joseph kicks his leg. Having wrestled, I don't know if joseph was going for a move or reacting, but the 6:38 action tells me Marinelli was trying to set that up.
It’s obvious now. We’re just being punkd...

I don't know why anyone cares who initiated that sequence. In the end it doesn't matter as Marinelli came out on top this time. Can't wait for Cenzo's revenge at Big 10s and Nationals. Confident that he gets the job done. Nothing has changed.

In the end, you are right, it doesn't matter and hopeful we won't have to wait too long to see a rematch. That being said, there were a few people basically making things up so I figured posting the match would be useful to clarify what actually happened.

Are you serious? We all know he welcomed the position. He wrestled himself into a spot where he needed a big move. No one is contesting that. It’s just unfortunate to us that Joseph gave him what he was looking for. He didn’t back down like most would and go into a shell. He was looking to bonus. Quite frankly I dig that...

Not at all what AM said, but believe what you want.

Reactions: Hotshoe
Not at all what AM said, but believe what you want.
Exactly. Even AM doesn't agree. VJ iniciated the trip. That is his right leg reaching forward to trip the left. AM was simply leaning forward too much for the trip.

The funny thing is, AM wasn't doing anything, VJ went forward and locked him up. VJ had his head clearly pushed down. AM was in no position to do anything from there. Lol

Best time for it to happen as well.. gets him back to realizing that trip won't be there EVERY time and just in time to finish the season strong and head into tourney action..

Reactions: Gebmo
Even one of our resident Hawkeye fan posters says Cenzo initiated and yet here we are xD :confused::)

Even one of our resident Hawkeye fan posters says Cenzo initiated and yet here we are xD :confused::)
“I was dreaming of this last night,” Marinelli said afterward. “In the first period, he hit me with a blast double, and I kind of gave it up too easy. I just need to get my hips down and finish shots. In the second period, I worked on riding, then he got out and went to an inside trip.

“So the next time he went upper-body with me, I had a lock and got ready for it. I was luckily ready for it and took him to his back.”

Vincenzo tried the inside trip and Marinelli was looking for it. Brands pretty much said he needed to do this before the match. He also talked about needing to go offensive on Joseph, and that didn't work too well.

Cenzo got a little cute, maybe underestimating his opponent a bit. What he needs to do next time he's up on Marinelli is start wrestling like Iowa and go on the defensive doing just enough to avoid stalling instead of trying to score more and he'll be fine.

http://www.press-citizen.com/story/...ut-iowa-wrestling-falls-penn-state/326773002/

“I was dreaming of this last night,” Marinelli said afterward. “In the first period, he hit me with a blast double, and I kind of gave it up too easy. I just need to get my hips down and finish shots. In the second period, I worked on riding, then he got out and went to an inside trip.

“So the next time he went upper-body with me, I had a lock and got ready for it. I was luckily ready for it and took him to his back.”

Vincenzo tried the inside trip and Marinelli was looking for it. Brands pretty much said he needed to do this before the match. He also talked about needing to go offensive on Joseph, and that didn't work too well.

Cenzo got a little cute, maybe underestimating his opponent a bit. What he needs to do next time he's up on Marinelli is start wrestling like Iowa and go on the defensive doing just enough to avoid stalling instead of trying to score more and he'll be fine.

http://www.press-citizen.com/story/...ut-iowa-wrestling-falls-penn-state/326773002/
Last year, Joseph lost to Subjeck 18-2 and then beat Subjeck at NCAA's 5-1. In the rematch with Marinelli it will be a similar approach and result.

“So the next time he went upper-body with me, I had a lock and got ready for it. I was luckily ready for it and took him to his back”)

Well, do you think his own words will finally put to rest whether he or VJ initiated? Give him credit, he was ready to take advantage of the opportunity. I think VJ will get a different result next time, but I do admit to having blue and white glasses!

Reactions: lionlover
Well, do you think his own words will finally put to rest whether he or VJ initiated? Give him credit, he was ready to take advantage of the opportunity. I think VJ will get a different result next time, but I do admit to having blue and white glasses!
Cenzo clearly started to initiate what was most likely an inside trip attempt. As soon as he started to shift his weight forward Marinelli sensed it and took him over with the bear hug.

Being realistic about it, Cenzo is quite strong, there is no way Marinelli is able to successfully bear hug him in that situation unless Cenzo's weight is going forward. Cenzo had to be initiating some kind of forward action.

Give Marinelli all the credit in the world, they scouted the move, devised a counter and then successfully implemented it and won the match.

Is Marinelli tall for the weight class? Sorry if this is a naive question. I’m just trying to think of additional factors for why he might be especially hard to trip. (I did not even watch the match.)

Is Marinelli tall for the weight class? Sorry if this is a naive question. I’m just trying to think of additional factors for why he might be especially hard to trip. (I did not even watch the match.)

i dont beleive so

he does however wear that 2" thick brace on his knee. which i still think its ridiculous that guys are allowed to wear something like that (and yes, that will inlcude being ridiculous for Nolf if he does as well)

No, he's just a very stout young man.

Reactions: Dogwelder
It's a shame Marinelli and iMar didn't have a dual bout. I think that matchup is very interesting. Ultimately, I'd give the (former) champ the edge because of his fantastic Hi-C, but otherwise.... ?

Are you serious? We all know he welcomed the position. He wrestled himself into a spot where he needed a big move. No one is contesting that. It’s just unfortunate to us that Joseph gave him what he was looking for. He didn’t back down like most would and go into a shell. He was looking to bonus. Quite frankly I dig that...

Fellas: The good thing is that with any hope we get to see them go at it a couple more times this year. Personally, I think Alex is still a step or two behind IMAR and Joseph, so any time Alex can spend on the mat with Joseph and IMAR will better prepare him fro next year. Wish more of our matches against PSU were this close...LOL!! :(

Marinelli has a wide base/stance and a low center of gravity! IMHO that is why Vincenzo could not execute the throw. He had to step too wide and AM just sagged his hips and lowered his level. Well done on his part!

Reactions: Dogwelder
As he demonstrated earlier in the match Joseph has a lot more then an inside trip. I think that this match will have him focusing on his other takedowns just as it did with Nickal in his matches with Martin.

I am sure Marinelli and Brands knew it might be coming and planned and practiced for it. But knowing it is coming a practicing what to do is only half of it. You also have to be able to execute what you trained for and Marinelli was able to execute.

Like the bow and arrow with Zain, the mighty duck with Hall, the cross face with Shraken, and the ankle pick with Cael. Even if you know it's coming you have to be good enough to do something about it. That day Marinelli was poised enough to execute his plan.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
I am sure Marinelli and Brands knew it might be coming and planned and practiced for it. But knowing it is coming a practicing what to do is only half of it. You also have to be able to execute what you trained for and Marinelli was able to execute.

Like the bow and arrow with Zain, the mighty duck with Hall, the cross face with Shraken, and the ankle pick with Cael. Even if you know it's coming you have to be good enough to do something about it. That day Marinelli was poised enough to execute his plan.
Nice to see many positive comments on Marinelli. Having a great coach to prepare you for such moves is also tremendously helpful!

Reactions: lionlover and JBott
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT