ADVERTISEMENT

Malcolm Gladwell calls for Penn State to bring back Joe Paterno statue

francofan

Oct 26, 2015
Nice article by Anthony Colucci in Onward State
-----------

Journalist and bestselling author Malcolm Gladwell visited State College to discuss the future of journalism and his latest book Talking to Strangers on Wednesday night at an event at the State Theatre hosted by the Centre Daily Times and Daily Collegian.

The premise of Talking to Strangers revolves around the dangers people encounter every day by “defaulting to the truth” and assuming the best in others they don’t know very well. One chapter, in particular, focuses on the Jerry Sandusky sex abuse scandal at Penn State, and Gladwell spent a bit of time during his talk discussing its implications and what, he believes, led university leaders to act as they did.

“People defaulted to the truth about Penn State and Joe Paterno because they believed that powerful institutions always cover up crimes,” he wrote in the book, which was released this past fall. “The misleading Grand Jury presentment led to a mismatched university response driving a media and society default to misplaced guilt.”

On Wednesday, he added that “Learning how to forgive people who’ve been deceived is really hard. Sometimes they’re negligent. Other times they’re not.”

When asked about the chapter on Wednesday, Gladwell answered with a question of his own, asking if Joe Paterno’s statue, which was taken down shortly after the scandal surfaced, had been put back up. When he was informed that it hadn’t, Gladwell affirmed, on two separate occasions, that he thinks it should return. Both times, Gladwell received a round of applause from the sold-out the State Theatre. He also went as far as to call the prosecution of university leadership “egregious.”

“I don’t know on what basis you’d take a man’s statue down for following his university’s policies,” he said. “Put the statue back up, because that statue is in honor of someone’s skill, integrity, accomplishments as a football coach. None of those things are in question here.”

Gladwell, who didn’t spend much time in the book discussing Paterno, elaborated that he believes that the late coach did what he was expected to do and shouldn’t be held to the same standard as someone with an advanced degree in clinical psychology.

“There’s a reason psychologists go and get years of training,” he said. It’s because human psychology is complicated. We default to truth when we don’t have the necessary training.”

Because the event was focused on promoting student journalism, Gladwell also discussed his opinions on the coverage of the Sandusky scandal. He said while the case was unfolding, he emailed several sportswriters to ask questions and could tell many hadn’t done all their research, which he described as reading every court transcript end to end and footnote by footnote.

“One of the things has always disturbed me about my profession, is in high-profile cases, journalists aren’t as scrupulous as they should be in their reporting,” he said. “Having read everything there is to read on this case, it’s not clear to me [Paterno] did anything wrong. He did everything he was reasonably expected to do.”

https://onwardstate.com/2020/01/30/malcolm-gladwell-calls-for-penn-state-to-bring-back-joe-paterno-statue-at-state-theatre-event/

Here is a link to the CDT article by Lilly Riddle.

“That statue is in honor of someone’s integrity, skills as a football coach, and contributions to his community. All of those three things are still intact,” Gladwell said. “None of those things were called into question by the events surrounding the case, so I think the statue deserves to go back up.”

https://amp.centredaily.com/news/lo...NankB8xqsX-Q6NGTxA8tw88sp8acCgsmhYULz2DenKRG0

Gladwell's interesting perspective and talk aside for a moment....

Just bringing back the wall and the year-by-year plaques and the players from the wall would be great, imo. Or some reasonable remake of it. That represents the whole point of Joe's career as a head coach.... it was about the players and their accomplishments on and off the field.

The old JVP statue itself can be displayed in the Sports Museum, or better yet imo, display a different statue at the Paterno Library. That idea has been discussed many times, with a lot of good input and ideas.

Beyond all that, honoring Joe in various ways in and around the stadium is the right thing to do. While he should be honored in the B1G and nationally, such as by having the National Coach of the Year Award named for him (or co-named along with Eddie Robinson), that is far less likely to happen.

Create a "Ring of Honor" to celebrate former players and coaches inside the stadium on the concourses. Names, videos, reasons why that person is honored, etc. Highlight a couple on the scoreboard screens every long timeout. Fans would enjoy that, I'm sure. ("The DelGrosso Red Zone Ring of Honor Moment! Brought to you by... DelGrosso! All the sauce that's fit to eat!". Ok, maybe the fans would throw up a little in their mouths if they use the wrong - or any - sponsor.)

But PSU can control how to honor Joe on campus. Just gotta grow a moderate-sized set to do it. (Another thing that won't happen).

I still advocate - using someone else's money! - a privately funded JVP museum downtown or in the nearby area, with a statue, with tons of memorabilia as donated by the family and his players and coaches and staff, with admission fees going to the Paterno Fellows program or other causes as designated by the family. And don't allow Ira or Dambly to bid on the building rights.

Just bringing back the wall and the year-by-year plaques and the players from the wall would be great, imo. Or some reasonable remake of it. That represents the whole point of Joe's career as a head coach.... it was about the players and their accomplishments on and off the field.

The old JVP statue itself can be displayed in the Sports Museum, or better yet imo, display a different statue at the Paterno Library. That idea has been discussed many times, with a lot of good input and ideas.

Beyond all that, honoring Joe in various ways in and around the stadium is the right thing to do. While he should be honored in the B1G and nationally, such as by having the National Coach of the Year Award named for him (or co-named along with Eddie Robinson), that is far less likely to happen.

Create a "Ring of Honor" to celebrate former players and coaches inside the stadium on the concourses. Names, videos, reasons why that person is honored, etc. Highlight a couple on the scoreboard screens every long timeout. Fans would enjoy that, I'm sure. ("The DelGrosso Red Zone Ring of Honor Moment! Brought to you by... DelGrosso! All the sauce that's fit to eat!". Ok, maybe the fans would throw up a little in their mouths if they use the wrong - or any - sponsor.)

But PSU can control how to honor Joe on campus. Just gotta grow a moderate-sized set to do it. (Another thing that won't happen).

I still advocate - using someone else's money! - a privately funded JVP museum downtown or in the nearby area, with a statue, with tons of memorabilia as donated by the family and his players and coaches and staff, with admission fees going to the Paterno Fellows program or other causes as designated by the family. And don't allow Ira or Dambly to bid on the building rights.

A Joe Paterno museum is a great idea! Joe deserves a museum for all that he did and for all that he stood for.

I am not a big fan of the statue that used to be outside Beaver stadium. A new improved statue either outside the library, the museum or outside the stadium is honor of the memory of Joe is definitely warranted.

Maybe I missed it, but what became of the Joe statue project from a few years ago. As I recall, a couple guys got together to design a new statue. Were they unable to get the money together to make it a reality?

Reactions: Bob78

I would gladly donate a large check for a Joe Paterno Museum. What a wonderful idea.

If (a massive if) the statue were ever to be put back up or a new one were to be created, it will almost certainly have to be inside a building where access can be controlled. A uncontrolled public statue in a high traffic location would almost certainly be a target for vandalism and would frequently be mocked via all sorts of social media posts and photos by visitors. Because of this negativity, I don't expect any statue to be put up anywhere unless it's a completely private endeavor. On the off chance that the university does decide to do something I do think it would likely end up inside the museum or something along those lines.

Maybe I missed it, but what became of the Joe statue project from a few years ago. As I recall, a couple guys got together to design a new statue. Were they unable to get the money together to make it a reality?
Meltdown the old statue and produce a ........commemorative coin to fund rebuilding............the wall. I think statues are..........no longer appropriate since someone in the future is.........always going to not like it. See Frank Rizzo. What?

I would gladly donate a large check for a Joe Paterno Museum. What a wonderful idea.

That's a wonderful sentiment, though Indiana Fats would prefer that your check go to the new art museum that will be named after him.

Reactions: step.eng69
That's a wonderful sentiment, though Indiana Fats would prefer that your check go to the new art museum that will be named after him.

I can see it now:

Joe Paterno Memorial Basement Corner Light Fixture in the Eric Barron Grand Cathedral of the Arts (and such)

Reactions: Achowalogan

It would take a moderate-sized set. Two things would have to happen because there would be a whole lot of social media blow back: (1) University "Leadership" would need to publicly acknowledge mistakes in a rush to judgement on Paterno's character and morality, and (2) disavow the Freeh Report's conclusions. Neither is going to happen anytime soon since "leadership" is unwilling to admit it was wrong and that it wasted $8 million dollars of other people's money.

On the plus side, however, I do think people are starting to realize that social media does not carry the weight that many of us thought it did years ago. I think many are starting to wise up that Social Media (Twitter, in particular) is not representative of most people.

I don't have the means to donate a large check, but I would gladly make a contribution. A Joe Paterno Museum would be a wonderful way to remember the legacy of the greatest person ever to be associated with Pennsylvania State University.
Maybe substitute it for Herr Onion Dip’s art museum?!

-----------

Journalist and bestselling author Malcolm Gladwell visited State College to discuss the future of journalism and his latest book Talking to Strangers on Wednesday night at an event at the State Theatre hosted by the Centre Daily Times and Daily Collegian.

The premise of Talking to Strangers revolves around the dangers people encounter every day by “defaulting to the truth” and assuming the best in others they don’t know very well. One chapter, in particular, focuses on the Jerry Sandusky sex abuse scandal at Penn State, and Gladwell spent a bit of time during his talk discussing its implications and what, he believes, led university leaders to act as they did.

“People defaulted to the truth about Penn State and Joe Paterno because they believed that powerful institutions always cover up crimes,” he wrote in the book, which was released this past fall. “The misleading Grand Jury presentment led to a mismatched university response driving a media and society default to misplaced guilt.”

On Wednesday, he added that “Learning how to forgive people who’ve been deceived is really hard. Sometimes they’re negligent. Other times they’re not.”

When asked about the chapter on Wednesday, Gladwell answered with a question of his own, asking if Joe Paterno’s statue, which was taken down shortly after the scandal surfaced, had been put back up. When he was informed that it hadn’t, Gladwell affirmed, on two separate occasions, that he thinks it should return. Both times, Gladwell received a round of applause from the sold-out the State Theatre. He also went as far as to call the prosecution of university leadership “egregious.”

“I don’t know on what basis you’d take a man’s statue down for following his university’s policies,” he said. “Put the statue back up, because that statue is in honor of someone’s skill, integrity, accomplishments as a football coach. None of those things are in question here.”

Gladwell, who didn’t spend much time in the book discussing Paterno, elaborated that he believes that the late coach did what he was expected to do and shouldn’t be held to the same standard as someone with an advanced degree in clinical psychology.

“There’s a reason psychologists go and get years of training,” he said. It’s because human psychology is complicated. We default to truth when we don’t have the necessary training.”

Because the event was focused on promoting student journalism, Gladwell also discussed his opinions on the coverage of the Sandusky scandal. He said while the case was unfolding, he emailed several sportswriters to ask questions and could tell many hadn’t done all their research, which he described as reading every court transcript end to end and footnote by footnote.

“One of the things has always disturbed me about my profession, is in high-profile cases, journalists aren’t as scrupulous as they should be in their reporting,” he said. “Having read everything there is to read on this case, it’s not clear to me [Paterno] did anything wrong. He did everything he was reasonably expected to do.”

https://onwardstate.com/2020/01/30/malcolm-gladwell-calls-for-penn-state-to-bring-back-joe-paterno-statue-at-state-theatre-event/

I believe that Gladwell gets it. Gladwell's best quote that sums up what heppened in the fiasco is:

“The misleading Grand Jury presentment led to a mismatched university response driving a media and society default to misplaced guilt.”

The guilt of Paterno, Spanier, Curley and Schultz is clearly misplaced. I believe the guilt of Sundusky is also misplaced and it seems that Gladwell knows that as well.

Maybe substitute it for Herr Onion Dip’s art museum?!

I am glad that Baron is stepping down. I am guessing that he will not speak his mind concerning the utility of the Freeh Report after his tenure. It does not put him in a positive light. I don't believe external reviews of his performance at Penn State will be that positive. I will be very surprised if he has any buildings named after him when he leaves.

Not a big statue fan. No one needs Ohio State or Pitt fans taking insulting pictures in front of it for the next three decades. If there has to be something associated with Paterno at the stadium, just change the stadium name to Paterno Stadium or Paterno Field at Beaver Stadium. Probably have to deal with some copyright and trademark issues, and the family would have to sign off on it, but that would probably be the easiest and classiest thing to do.

Reactions: CVLion
I believe that Gladwell gets it. Gladwell's best quote that sums up what heppened in the fiasco is:

“The misleading Grand Jury presentment led to a mismatched university response driving a media and society default to misplaced guilt.”

The guilt of Paterno, Spanier, Curley and Schultz is clearly misplaced. I believe the guilt of Sundusky is also misplaced and it seems that Gladwell knows that as well.
And remember, this was all done intentionally...

-----------

Since Malcolm Gladwell called for it, I'm sure it will be back up in no time. And I do mean "no time".

I am glad that Baron is stepping down. I am guessing that he will not speak his mind concerning the utility of the Freeh Report after his tenure. It does not put him in a positive light. I don't believe external reviews of his performance at Penn State will be that positive. I will be very surprised if he has any buildings named after him when he leaves.

It's obvious that the boondoggle art museum will bear his name. Book it Danno

Reactions: Fizz1
I could give 2,000 fu€&s less about that statue!
This program is waaaaaay waaaaaay waaaay more than 1 person!
I’d much rather have a statue of all of the players announcing their loyalty on that infamous day in July of 2012.

Good for him - squirrley little fellow that he is. I agree - only bring back one that doesn't have a finger in the air (unless a BWI poll decides which one) and doesn't look like Art Modell.

I believe that some day you will be wandering the streets of some town wearing rags and preaching the gospel of Sandusky's innocence.

I believe that some day you will be wandering the streets of some town wearing rags and preaching the gospel of Sandusky's innocence.

Did you read chapter 5 in “Talking to Strangers?” If yes, do you agree that Gladwell raises questions on the evidence surrounding the stories of v1, v2, and v4 (arguably the 3 victims whose stories provided the most damming evidence against Sandusky)?

Reactions: RussianEagle
If (a massive if) the statue were ever to be put back up or a new one were to be created, it will almost certainly have to be inside a building where access can be controlled. A uncontrolled public statue in a high traffic location would almost certainly be a target for vandalism and would frequently be mocked via all sorts of social media posts and photos by visitors. Because of this negativity, I don't expect any statue to be put up anywhere unless it's a completely private endeavor. On the off chance that the university does decide to do something I do think it would likely end up inside the museum or something along those lines.

Just put a camera close by and a notice that if any vandalism occurs, violator will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. As for social media, F them. They suck already. After a period of "outrage", most will get bored and move on while the rest of us will appreciate it forever. Put the statue, the plaques and everything else back. Embrace our history. Our history is why we pack the place. No Joe Paterno, no 107000 seat stadium filling up every week.

Just put a camera close by and a notice that if any vandalism occurs, violator will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. As for social media, F them. They suck already. After a period of "outrage", most will get bored and move on while the rest of us will appreciate it forever. Put the statue, the plaques and everything else back. Embrace our history. Our history is why we pack the place. No Joe Paterno, no 107000 seat stadium filling up every week.
It's fine if you feel that way as a fan. But I don't believe the school admins and BOT members are going to want to be held responsible for what would likely become a PR sh*t show. They'd be accountable for PSU getting drug through the mud for who knows how long and depending on how it turns out it could have implications on applications and so on. It's a lot easier to say you don't care if that happens as a fan, but a lot more difficult if you are the one that might someday have to stand up in front of the national media and explain why you thought it was a good idea after all of the negative repercussions have surfaced. Had they simply left the statue alone in the first place it may not have been as bad, but by removing it the BOT added to or confirmed a public perception that praising Paterno wasn't acceptable. Putting it back up would be backtracking on a very public decision that has already been made, and is unlikely to ever happen without some sort of smoking gun evidence in Paterno's favor that can be used as leverage to justify the change in the BOT's stance. If that smoking gun existed, we'd have already heard about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: WHCANole
They could enshrine some type of honorarium tomorrow (whether it be a statue or some other similar thing).

The rest is all static.

Anyone who abstains from doing what they believe is the right thing, because in the past they did the wrong thing, is a full blown "r word" :) of epic proportions. EOS.

The only relevant decision point is "What do we believe to be the right thing?"
The BOT already told us what they believe is the right thing by tearing it down, except for the alumni elected members. The issue people have is that they disagree and believe the right thing is something else. Unfortunately for those that disagree, the BOT is the decision maker and their opinion is the one that really matters.

It's fine if you feel that way as a fan. But I don't believe the school admins and BOT members are going to want to be held responsible for what would likely become a PR sh*t show. They'd be accountable for PSU getting drug through the mud for who knows how long and depending on how it turns out it could have implications on applications and so on. It's a lot easier to say you don't care if that happens as a fan, but a lot more difficult if you are the one that might someday have to stand up in front of the national media and explain why you thought it was a good idea after all of the negative repercussions have surfaced. Had they simply left the statue alone in the first place it may not have been as bad, but by removing it the BOT added to or confirmed a public perception that praising Paterno wasn't acceptable. Putting it back up would be backtracking on a very public decision that has already been made, and is unlikely to ever happen without some sort of smoking gun evidence in Paterno's favor that can be used as leverage to justify the change in the BOT's stance. If that smoking gun existed, we'd have already heard about it.
Well first of all, I would argue that you're exactly right! The BOT needs to stand up in front of the national media and admit what it did and why. They need to be held accountable. I don't care if they do it because it's the right thing to do or because the're being dragged kicking and screaming, it needs to be done. The narrative will then change.

Second, I would argue that the other guys needed the smoking gun, not Joe's defenders. Paterno clearly did exactly what anyone in his position should have done. Moreover, I would point out that the commonwealth was unable to prove even one of the original fifteen felonies for which C/S/S were charged. For the narrative to be true, they would have had to have been guilty of all of them. That means there was no PSU scandal. However, if you want a smoking gun, how about the email exchange between MM and Jonelle Eshbach which clearly proves the OAG fabricated the anal intercourse accusation, which was the basis for their entire narrative.

I'm afraid cowardice is not the only reason this has not been made right.

Reactions: AvgUser
The BOT already told us what they believe is the right thing by tearing it down, except for the alumni elected members. The issue people have is that they disagree and believe the right thing is something else. Unfortunately for those that disagree, the BOT is the decision maker and their opinion is the one that really matters.

Even if their opinion is wrong, self serving and based on an attempt to conceal illegal and unethical personal dealings with respect to TSM?

I would put it on campus as the Bear Bryant Museum is. No more, no less 409!

If the AX (The Alumni Elected Trustees) actually had some meaningful discoveries from their "review" of the Freeh Fiasco, now would be a good time for them to be all public and vociferous about those findings...…. wouldn't it?

Maybe I've been missing all of the meaningful information they have been getting out there?

:)
They were published and have already found their way to public domain.

It has been shown time and again that the BOT predetermined the outcome that FactFreeh published. There were illegal methods, coercive techniques and a crooked BOT jihad all involved.

The BOT already created the shit show in November 2011 by declaring guilt without facts or evidence. Then they paid $8M for someone to write the story. Whomever cannot recognize that is more dumb than a pile of rocks.

Don't put the statue back up. Instead put a monument where it stood. On the plaque put the names of the OGBOT and Corbett on it with a statement explaining how their selfish and misguided actions caused irreparable damage to PSU and JVP.

No I was not. I was referring to the actual report that happened to fall in to Ralph Cipriano's hands. What I was referring to when I commented to you first was the analysis and comments that were in the A7 report. They did some good work. They clearly illustrated the flaws, bias, prejudices, illogical conclusions and whatever else from the FactFreeh report. It is public knowledge via Cirpiano. Unfortunately, the vast public has moved on from considering that a real story.

I will agree with you that I am bewildered by the unwillingness of any BOTer to publicly state, as a BOTer, that the FactFreeh investigation is for shit. Anthony comes here and says as much, but I do not recall the vocal pronouncement on 'BOT letterhead'.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT