ADVERTISEMENT

Major brawl between K State and Kansas tonight

PSURAHJ

May 29, 2001
Luckily someone knocked the chair out of De Sousa's hands before he did some serious damage. Some other player got stomped while on the ground. It's gonna be interesting to see how the punishments shake out for this one.

KSU/KU BRAWL

07151890-3cbd-11ea-a9b3-ef16dcc9fcdb

Major? Meh, I’ve seen much worse. Classless of course but come on, not major. It isn’t major until some asshat is beating someone in the stands with their own shoe.

Self will suspend De Sousa for at least a few games and I think Weber might suspend the first K-St players that came off the bench that confronted De Sousa.

I think Self & Weber will both act very very quickly on this tomorrow morning.

Hate to see this anywhere. KU was walking the ball up the court with 5 seconds left.....K-St player came from behind to steal the ball and took off for one last basket.....De Sousa blocked the ball cleanly and game s/b over but he stupidly stands over the K-St player. The K-St bench empties and everything escalated. Ultimately De Sousa was assessed a technical with .1 sec put back on the clock. Stupid stupid stupid. Rivalry game.

Reactions: royboy and psu00
IMO De Sousa should be gone for the year. He initiated everything by standing over the KSU player to taunt him but the kicker was him holding a stool over his head to use as a weapon (until a coach grabbed it from behind).

Absolutely. If someone wasn’t quick to grab the chair from that moron he could have killed someone. It was very similar to what Myles Garret did. Fighting is one thing. Running into the crowd is a whole other level of dangerous, but then picking up a chair and trying to use it as a weapon? I doubt Self or the university has the integrity to suspend the kid for more than a game or so. The Big 12 or NCAA should step in and suspend him for the season.

And this took place in the handicapped area. De Sousa should be done and hefty suspensions for 33? Of Kansas and the guy in street clothes that came off the bench.

Reactions: BBrown
This was scary and very rapidly spun out of control. There have to be lengthy suspensions handed out. I imagine the conference will act fast.

We would know how long the suspensions would have been if this had happened to Ohio State football....the suspensions would have been the number of games up to the PSU game. Then they would have been back at full strength just in time. Kansas and K State don’t play PSU in basketball so it’s hard to say how long the suspensions will be.

The refs lost control of that on the previous K-State possession. There were a couple of very physical plays by KU on defense that were unnecessary given the score and time remaining. You could feel something was brewing.

I'm not saying they are to blame, but refs should all watch how that played out and keep that in mind at the end of future blowouts when they see teams playing "too hard" at the end.

The guy in the black short-sleeved shirt, did he have a connection with either of the teams or was he just a spectator?

Supposedly a member of KState’s team in some capacity. Haven’t heard exactly what yet (grad assistant/operations maybe).

EDIT - Upon further review, it’s an injured bench player, James Love III, who has played in all of 1 game this season.

Last edited:
We would know how long the suspensions would have been if this had happened to Ohio State football....the suspensions would have been the number of games up to the PSU game. Then they would have been back at full strength just in time. Kansas and K State don’t play PSU in basketball so it’s hard to say how long the suspensions will be.

I don't know if the big 12 commissioner is inclined to protect the darling kansas the way delany loved to protect darlings um and Tosu, but this situation may be out of the big 12 commissioner's hands. Does the ncaa step in? I imagine so, and they are less interested in protecting kansas. Could anyone face criminal charges?

should both forfeit their next game plus added games for those involved

The refs lost control of that on the previous K-State possession. There were a couple of very physical plays by KU on defense that were unnecessary given the score and time remaining. You could feel something was brewing.

I'm not saying they are to blame, but refs should all watch how that played out and keep that in mind at the end of future blowouts when they see teams playing "too hard" at the end.

“Too hard” on KU for defending the rim? Give me a FXXKING break. How about K-St playing “too hard” by taking the ball to the rim down 22 pts and 15 seconds left? They were hard blocks but certainly not dirty blocks.

The game was over at that point when KU got the loose ball. But what about K-St trying to steal the ball as KU walked the ball up the court with 5 seconds left? Maybe they were the team playing “too hard”!

“Too hard” on KU for defending the rim? Give me a FXXKING break. How about K-St playing “too hard” by taking the ball to the rim down 22 pts and 15 seconds left? They were hard blocks but certainly not dirty blocks.

The game was over at that point when KU got the loose ball. But what about K-St trying to steal the ball as KU walked the ball up the court with 5 seconds left? Maybe they were the team playing “too hard”!

Right. Maybe K-State was playing "too hard". That's wasn't my point and maybe I didn't do a good job of making my point. I was just trying to say that you could sense some extra testosterone was brewing down the stretch that maybe the refs could have done something to stop. Or maybe not.

The only take away for me was that this should be something refs look at to see if it's something they might be able to prevent in the future. That's all. I wasn't meaning anyone did anything wrong right up until the first punch was thrown.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
De Sousa gets a 12 game suspension, McCormick 2 games.

Two K-St players get an 8 and 3 game suspension.

This was reviewed and addressed by the Big 12 more quickly than many in-game replay reviews!

Weak move by the big 12 IMO. De Sousa should have been gone for the year after waiving the stool as a weapon.

The Big 12 gave him a 12 game suspension. He’ll be back in time to knock off the cobwebs in the last game of the regular season and then play in the big 12 conference and NCAA tournaments. (Reminds me of big ten punishments where Ohio St is involved).

I have no problem with either playing Er playing until the whistle. K-State player wants to steal the ball while Kansas tries to run the clock out? Then by all means, block that shot. Standing over him afterwards is pretty embarrassing and immature though.
All in all, wasn’t really much of a brawl.

Last edited:
I'm more concerned about the Kansas player that actually used their foot as a weapon and stomped a person that was down on the floor.

I agree- suspensions all around (who were the players stomping on the guy on the floor?) The only thing that kept this from being a disaster is the Kansas assistant coach who came up behind DeSousa and took the stool away as he held it over his head. Otherwise we’re likely discussing a much uglier situation.

I have no problem with either playing Er playing until the whistle. K-State player wants to steal the ball while Kansas tries to run the clock out? Then by all means, block that shot. Standing over him afterwards is pretty embarrassing and immature though.
All in all, wasn’t really much of a brawl.
On that last possession the KSU coach was telling his team to back off and not foul, to let KU run out the clock. We’ve all seen this a million times, everyone relaxes and prepares for the end of the game. If the KSU player had simply listened to his coach, none of this would have happened.

On that last possession the KSU coach was telling his team to back off and not foul, to let KU run out the clock. We’ve all seen this a million times, everyone relaxes and prepares for the end of the game. If the KSU player had simply listened to his coach, none of this would have happened.
That’s fine, but I can’t blame a kid for playing to the whistle. The stolen ball didn’t start the brawl. The block didn’t start the brawl. The jackass standing over the guy after blocking the shot is what started the brawl.

Reactions: RU31trap
As well as the KState players coming off the bench to confront de Sousa. They stay on the bench and let the officials handle the business, we may not have had this.

As well as the KState players coming off the bench to confront de Sousa. They stay on the bench and let the officials handle the business, we may not have had this.
Obviously the brawl doesn’t happen with just one team but it was de Sousa’s actions that spawned the rest of it.

A very bad look for Kansas basketball, not college basketball. I think the Kansas AD and Bill Self may need to sit down and reevaluate their recruiting criteria.

We're not heading down a road of defending or even exonerating de sousa, are we? Sure, the k state player could have listened to his coach. Sure, the k state bench didn't need to join the fray. None of that excuses the way de sousa reacted. Lifting a chair over his head?

We're not heading down a road of defending or even exonerating de sousa's actions, are we? Sure, the k state player could have listened to his coach. Sure, the k state bench didn't need to join the fray. None of that excuses the way de sousa reacted. Lifting a chair over his head?
No, of course not. But nothing happens in a vacuum.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT