ADVERTISEMENT

Mahon - Nelson

Internet article indicating Mahon and Nelson went out together with the second team at the end of the Nebraska game. Apparently great friends and roomies, wanted one last shot on the home field. Nice article, don't recall where I saw it.
here ya go psulongago
Column: The best Senior Day moment you missed
Why Penn State's final three offensive snaps Saturday will live forever in the memories of two offensive linemen

link: https://247sports.com/college/penn-...ith-Brendan-Mahon-and-Andrew-Nelson-110723585

Brendan Mahon overpowered defensive linemen and linebackers on his Senior Day. Bullied them and took joy in it, like any road grader worth his weight in pancake blocks would.

His offenses cored 56 points. His running back returned to Heisman form. And when the game's final second ran off Saturday, Penn State stood victorious.

Yet as Mahon reflected inside the bowels of Beaver Stadium on his afternoon, and all these moments and achievements that will remain with him forever, none registered as its chief highlight.

That arrived over three effectively meaningless snaps in the fourth quarter. Back-up quarterback Tommy Stevens was at the helm, fellow second-stringers scattered around him. And next to Mahon was an All-American friend; a friend who has shared his injury-torn journey since the two arrived in 2013.

The friend dug into the soggy turf because he'd earned the right to, and unknowingly received a little help from Mahon.

Minutes earlier, offensive line coach Matt Limegrover had asked his starting right guard if he'd prefer to sit out the upcoming garbage-time drive. As if he'd instead been offered a winter vacation in Greenland, Mahon quickly declined. He was going to play, and he was bringing his guy with him.

"I went over and I go, 'Let's take a series together,'" Mahon recalled. "He said, 'Alright."

6_7868640.jpg

Andrew Nelson (59) and Brendan Mahon (70) started Saturday's game helping honorary captain Tim Shaw to the opening coin toss. (Photo: Harvey Levine-FOS/247)
And as they crossed over from the sideline, Mahon and Andrew Nelson began to experience this trot, one they'd taken hundreds of times over their respective careers, like it was new again. For Nelson, it's easy to understand why.

Since a punishing first half at Iowa on Sept. 23, he's seen exactly zero offensive snaps. Even before the Hawkeyes hit, Nelson's last two campaigns were cut short by season-ending knee injuries.

“All offseason, all summer, I was walking to the stadium praying that I’d be able to get back out here,” said Nelson back in September.

Through this suffering not only has Nelson missed playing time, but playing time next to one of his closest friends; moments he truly treasures.

How much exactly?

"He told me he loved me probably three or four times," smiled Mahon post-game, detailing their final series together. "I probably told him the same."

Sitting behind Mahon's grin are all his Penn State memories. Most are tied to Nelson or at least shared. The two call each other roommates, as well as teammates and classmates.

There are the good times: wins, touchdowns, crushing blocks and a Big Ten championship. And the bad: carts, crutches, coaching changes and benchings.

"This, for both us, didn't go as we planned," Mahon said. "Our injuries really brought us closer together. And we always talked when we were getting recruited and during our freshman year, that we'd play next to each other at right guard and right tackle."

Brendan Mahon and Andrew Nelson starting this drive at RG and RT. As you'd hope on Senior Day.

— Andrew Callahan (@ACallahan_247)
November 19, 2017

Instead football took their script and ripped it repeatedly, right in front of their faces; near the end of 2015, then again two Octobers ago and lastly at the outset of this season. All the while, Mahon and Nelson were the two constants on an offensive line that for years has been among the criticized position groups in football.

But jointly picking up the pieces of their story is what has kept them reaching down each time to re-write it. And together, they grasped one more shred Saturday; the ending they'd always wanted.

here ya go psulongago
Why Penn State's final three offensive snaps Saturday will live forever in the memories of two offensive linemen

link: https://247sports.com/college/penn-...ith-Brendan-Mahon-and-Andrew-Nelson-110723585

Brendan Mahon overpowered defensive linemen and linebackers on his Senior Day. Bullied them and took joy in it, like any road grader worth his weight in pancake blocks would.

His offenses cored 56 points. His running back returned to Heisman form. And when the game's final second ran off Saturday, Penn State stood victorious.

Yet as Mahon reflected inside the bowels of Beaver Stadium on his afternoon, and all these moments and achievements that will remain with him forever, none registered as its chief highlight.

That arrived over three effectively meaningless snaps in the fourth quarter. Back-up quarterback Tommy Stevens was at the helm, fellow second-stringers scattered around him. And next to Mahon was an All-American friend; a friend who has shared his injury-torn journey since the two arrived in 2013.

The friend dug into the soggy turf because he'd earned the right to, and unknowingly received a little help from Mahon.

Minutes earlier, offensive line coach Matt Limegrover had asked his starting right guard if he'd prefer to sit out the upcoming garbage-time drive. As if he'd instead been offered a winter vacation in Greenland, Mahon quickly declined. He was going to play, and he was bringing his guy with him.

"I went over and I go, 'Let's take a series together,'" Mahon recalled. "He said, 'Alright."

6_7868640.jpg

Andrew Nelson (59) and Brendan Mahon (70) started Saturday's game helping honorary captain Tim Shaw to the opening coin toss. (Photo: Harvey Levine-FOS/247)
And as they crossed over from the sideline, Mahon and Andrew Nelson began to experience this trot, one they'd taken hundreds of times over their respective careers, like it was new again. For Nelson, it's easy to understand why.

Since a punishing first half at Iowa on Sept. 23, he's seen exactly zero offensive snaps. Even before the Hawkeyes hit, Nelson's last two campaigns were cut short by season-ending knee injuries.

“All offseason, all summer, I was walking to the stadium praying that I’d be able to get back out here,” said Nelson back in September.

Through this suffering not only has Nelson missed playing time, but playing time next to one of his closest friends; moments he truly treasures.

How much exactly?

"He told me he loved me probably three or four times," smiled Mahon post-game, detailing their final series together. "I probably told him the same."

Sitting behind Mahon's grin are all his Penn State memories. Most are tied to Nelson or at least shared. The two call each other roommates, as well as teammates and classmates.

There are the good times: wins, touchdowns, crushing blocks and a Big Ten championship. And the bad: carts, crutches, coaching changes and benchings.

"This, for both us, didn't go as we planned," Mahon said. "Our injuries really brought us closer together. And we always talked when we were getting recruited and during our freshman year, that we'd play next to each other at right guard and right tackle."

Brendan Mahon and Andrew Nelson starting this drive at RG and RT. As you'd hope on Senior Day.

November 19, 2017

Instead football took their script and ripped it repeatedly, right in front of their faces; near the end of 2015, then again two Octobers ago and lastly at the outset of this season. All the while, Mahon and Nelson were the two constants on an offensive line that for years has been among the criticized position groups in football.

But jointly picking up the pieces of their story is what has kept them reaching down each time to re-write it. And together, they grasped one more shred Saturday; the ending they'd always wanted.

Great stuff!

here ya go psulongago

6_7868640.jpg

How much exactly?

November 19, 2017

Thanks, thought it was a great article and should read for all PSU fans. Two tough guys who "gutted" it out and gave their all.

And THAT really is, as a player, what this game is about. When I recall my playing days, it's my friends and teammates that are forefront in my memories. Great story

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT