ADVERTISEMENT

Lunch suggestions in SC

iknojksht

Sep 14, 2011
Have not been in SC in awhile and have seen some new options. I see some new places, Happy Valley Brewing, Liberty Craft, Lettermans, Local Whiskey, anyone with tips on these or others?

Last edited:
Have not been in SC in a while and have seen some new options. I see some new places, Happy Valley Brewing, Liberty Craft, Lettermans, Local Whiskey, anyone with tips on these or others?

Drive to Pittsburgh, the options there are so overwhelming that people can't even make it to Pitt games.

Happy Valley Brewing is decent. The food is better than the beer. It's a really nice place though, they put a lot of effort in to the atmosphere. Pickles is always a nice place too.

Lettermans is still pretty much Damon's, but the food is better. Would second local whiskey for atmosphere.

Reactions: Zenophile
Have not been in SC in a while and have seen some new options. I see some new places, Happy Valley Brewing, Liberty Craft, Lettermans, Local Whiskey, anyone with tips on these or others?

If I were in State College I would eat lunch and dinner at HiWay Pizza every day! It is the best pizza anywhere! I lived on HiWay pizza during my undergrad days in the late 1960s.

I recently had lunch at Happy Valley. The place is really cool the way they have it tricked out. Good beers and the food was really good but it is not a cheap lunch. Bring an appetite though, they give you plenty.

I think HVBC is overrated. Other than atmosphere, each time I've gone, the food/beer has disappointed me.

Liberty Craft House isn't much to write home about unless you're into charcuterie.

Lettermans.....meh. It is what it is.

If it were me, I'd stick to the usual suspects.

Have not been in SC in awhile and have seen some new options. I see some new places, Happy Valley Brewing, Liberty Craft, Lettermans, Local Whiskey, anyone with tips on these or others?
I am a big fan of the food and beer at HVBC. Liberty has nice selection, but the music is bad and so loud cannot hold a conversation. Have not been to Letterman's and never heard of local whiskey? You cannot go wrong with food and beer selection at the Deli, same for the Irish Pub on CollegeAve, sorry name is escaping me at the moment. I see other suggestions for Pickles, but nothing special IMO. Have fun!

Reactions: step.eng69
LOL pandaczar12, that's beside the point ;) it is a very popular pizza joint. Overpriced-definitely- Not my favorite pizza, I'll can have it occasionally. My favorites are the Old Forge pizzas and a very inexpensive place in Dallas called Bernie's also the Bowling Alley Pizza in Dallas.

They really haven't expanded much into PA, just 3 locations in NEPA. Which is were the founder is from.

In general, their food is pretty good, just not their pizza. It's all overpriced though. Grotto's Pizza, like everything in life, is a lot like Pitt football. Some talk about how good it used to be, but that was so long ago most don't remember, and no one has a taste for it anymore.

Herwig's or Tadeshi on College Ave. Both are great if you're looking for something a bit different.

Doans Bones opened up a place on the corner of Atherton & Beaver where Boots used to be. No atmosphere, but the food is good.

Higher end best lunch spots IMHO: The Allen Room and Spats downtown, Carnegie House in Toftrees, American Ale House in Toftrees
Best pizza: Faccia Luna by far
Best sandwiches and burgers: Primanti Brothers, Otto's Pub and Brewery (on North Atherton). Great beer too. Black Mo is my favorite. As good as Guinness.
Best ethnic cuisine: either of the two Cozi Thai restaurants or India Pavilion
Liberty is great if you're just drinking lunch with 50+ beers on draft. They specialize in cheeses and are a bit overpriced on that. Also really noisy with music blasting.
The ambiance of Happy Valley Brewery is really nice, but the beers are served in 14oz glasses and overpriced, and the food is on the average side and also really overpriced.

Lot's of good suggestions. If you want to stay downtown I suggest Kildaire's, the Irish pub, for the fish and chips. Clem's BBQ at the autoport is fantastic. Further out, CC Peppers in Atherton Walmart Plaza. The wings at Lettermans were great.

Every time we are in town (which was a lot the last four years with a daughter at PSU), we always said we were going to try something different and always ended up at The Deli. It has a large menu and a great selection of beers. Other places that have been good (not great) are The Corner Room, Bill Pickles, Liberty, Mad Mex and Babies (if you want a milkshake instead of beer).

Every time we are in town (which was a lot the last four years with a daughter at PSU), we always said we were going to try something different and always ended up at The Deli. It has a large menu and a great selection of beers. Other places that have been good (not great) are The Corner Room, Bill Pickles, Liberty, Mad Mex and Babies (if you want a milkshake instead of beer).
The Deli is the best place for lunch downtown. Mad Mex is terrible, Corner Room is good, Liberty is OK nothing special, Babies is good, Ottos is OK, Happy Valley Brewing Company is way over-rated food isn't that good and neither is the beer.

If your in the mood for a pricy but outstanding burger, you can go the The Field. It's a new gourmet burger place in Toftrees where the down Under Steak House used to be. Also the All American Ale House if decent. Duffy's and Kelly's in Boalsburg are both pretty good.

Lots of good places.
Herwig's is pretty good.
Spats is good.
There is a Thai place on (Beaver I think) cant remember the name thats very good.
I always liked the Deli but haven't been there in a while.
Faccia Luna is excellent.
Clems's BBQ is pretty good.

A lot of good suggestions. Best burgers in my opinion are at PJ Harringtons. They are fantastic. The food at mountain view country club at the restaurant or bar is very good as well. They are run by the same people.

I always like Home delivery Pizza in atherton as well, never leave hungry. Facia Luna for pizza , awesome.

I have always loved Brother's pizza, but we now live in MN and can't get the good old fashioned Neapolitan greasy

You should have many great replies prior to this one, but I will offer anyway. Start on College Ave up by Hammond and walk down. Then follow your nose.

You might not get past Brothers...... Oh wait, I see posts above saying that Brothers isn't Brothers any more.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT