ADVERTISEMENT

Luginbil calls out CJF for negative recruiting

How can this be considered "negative" recruiting? Urban Meyer is a huge scum bag and it's now painfully obvious to the entire country. Coaches pointing this out to teenage kids is a "positive" IMO.

"Have you been to Ohio?" "Have you visited Columbus?"
Yes, I have been to Ohio. I have lived here for close to 57 years.
Yes, I have been to Columbass. Been them many many times.

Yes, I have been to Pennsylvania. Been there many many times NOT RELATED TO FOOTBALL.
Yes, I have been to State College, Pennsylvania. Many many times football related.

Ohio is a nice state. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of nice places here. However, given the choice of the flat lands of Ohio and the landscape of Pennsylvania. Hands down, I am eastbound.

I don't like the city life.
Give me State College life anytime.

If all CJF is doing when visiting recruits is asking those questions, Luginbill is reaching. Far reaching. Never cared for the guy, and care even less now if that is possible.

OL

Reactions: royboy
It depends on what he means by negative recruiting. I can imagine Franklin and other coaches saying to a recruit "hey, there seems to be new stuff coming out everyday about Meyer and his handling of Zach Smith. Do you really think he's going to last at OSU for your whole time there?" Is that negative recruiting? I guess it's in the eye of the beholder. Now compare that to what was likely said and still is said about us: "are you kidding me? You want to go to Penn State, where they rape kids in the showers and then cover it up? You want to be a part of that stink?" Now THAT'S negative recruiting.

Our BiG opponents never told recruits that Joe was old and probably wouldn't be there when they graduated. And none of our BiG opponents raided the PSU roster during Freeh agency. CJF should exercise more restraint.

Reactions: BBrown
Its 7 am and my right hand was shaking it off as I type. Are you that big of an asshole?

What can I say I have a piss poor state related school education.
Calm down Loyal. Roy wasn't calling out your typo. Just was making the point that there was no "IF" about the negative recruiting used in surplus against us.

Reactions: royboy
Yes, I have been to Ohio. I have lived here for close to 57 years.
Yes, I have been to Columbass. Been them many many times.

Yes, I have been to Pennsylvania. Been there many many times NOT RELATED TO FOOTBALL.
Yes, I have been to State College, Pennsylvania. Many many times football related.

Ohio is a nice state. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of nice places here. However, given the choice of the flat lands of Ohio and the landscape of Pennsylvania. Hands down, I am eastbound.

I don't like the city life.
Give me State College life anytime.

If all CJF is doing when visiting recruits is asking those questions, Luginbill is reaching. Far reaching. Never cared for the guy, and care even less now if that is possible.

OL
giphy.gif

Reactions: Mudge1026
Our BiG opponents never told recruits that Joe was old and probably wouldn't be there when they graduated. And none of our BiG opponents raided the PSU roster during Freeh agency. CJF should exercise more restraint.
Exactly - call me when Franklin camps out at the OSU Campus like other D-Bag coaches from the Big10 did to us and maybe I'll give 2 sh&t's.

Um, Tim Beckman says hello. Good grief. And how do you have the slightest idea what opposing B1G coaches were saying vav Joe's age?

Wait, was your post sarcastic? If so, I missed it and I apologize. If not...

It depends on what he means by negative recruiting. I can imagine Franklin and other coaches saying to a recruit "hey, there seems to be new stuff coming out everyday about Meyer and his handling of Zach Smith. Do you really think he's going to last at OSU for your whole time there?" Is that negative recruiting? I guess it's in the eye of the beholder. Now compare that to what was likely said and still is said about us: "are you kidding me? You want to go to Penn State, where they rape kids in the showers and then cover it up? You want to be a part of that stink?" Now THAT'S negative recruiting.

I would put money on the fact that Franklin doesn't do any of this ^.

These OSU guys are just threatened by him. And tbh I dont blame them, WE ARE on a roll. The future is insanely bright :cool:

I was listening to ESPN U on my way to work. They were discussing the Ohio State slap on the wrist for Liar and negative recruiting came up. Luginbill called out Franklin, inferring that he always negatively recruits and he is already on the negative recruiting "trail" with Ohio State.

Who is this douche canoe? Do you think CJF actually does this?

The real question is...who cares if Franklin does it? He's allowed to...all is fair in recruiting

I would be upset if Franklin hadn't reached out to OSU commits.

This is pretty simple. A kid is on the market until he signs with a school. Obviously coaches at other schools continue to talk with Penn State's verbal commits because verbal commitments are not final.

I'm sure Franklin is talking with Tosu verbal commits and verbal commits at other schools. That in no way means he is negatively recruiting.

I'm sure Franklin is talking with Tosu verbal commits and verbal commits at other schools. That in no way means he is negatively recruiting.

He probably is but who cares....he's allowed to. I'd be disappointed if he wasn't. I expect everyone to be doing that against Ohio State right now. That's the game

I was listening to ESPN U on my way to work. They were discussing the Ohio State slap on the wrist for Liar and negative recruiting came up. Luginbill called out Franklin, inferring that he always negatively recruits and he is already on the negative recruiting "trail" with Ohio State.

Who cares about negative recruiting? Everyone does it. It's the college way. There is no school supposedly doing it "the right way", whatever that is.

There is still a lingering "we are holier than thou'" attitude around here. There is no such thing as negative recruiting versus regular recruiting. There is just "recruiting" and that's how you get the Jimmies and the Joes. These threads are just plain silly

Franklin and 125 other head coaches are negative recruiting OSU right now
Bingo. +1.

Coaches are making the pitch why it's better to join them. If that's it, hardly seems out of bounds. If CJF is making up scandals and stories to steer young people with the truth-be-darned, he deserves backlash. OSU looted our list of commits and loads of prospects. Why? Because our program was under fire, they're competitors and it was reasonable to question why a kid wants to join a program under fire. I hated watching our recruits go there, but it was fair. And fair is fair.

The whole country is looking at OSU and questioning integrity, etc. That program is definitely under fire right now. Just weird that anyone is singling out CJF. Seems it's just more trying to churn a new scandal, fire people/rivals up, etc.

All this assumes CJF is staying in bounds. Haven't heard any recruit suggest otherwise.

Franklin doesn't have to negatively recruit. Every move OSU makes does it for him. :)

Even if he did, who the F cares. It was perfectly acceptable, even encouraged, when the Sandusky scandal was going on in full force.

Did he have any evidence?

If Franklin is citing fact, and the facts have negative connotations..... then that's because what's occurring around OSU right now is NEGATIVE . You shouldn't pretend it doesn't exist......gotta live in reality ....no safe rooms for snow flakes. -- I met and spoke with Franklin multiple times for some extended periods in 2015-2016 when he was recruiting my girlfriend's son. He was always above board, polite, high energy and positive/encouraging in every way. He and Gattis were awesome. At NO TIME, was anything ever stated or inferred by these 2 coaches that could be construed as negative. --all parents and coaches of recruits ( with whom I spoke ....and there were many), shared the same opinion. ---Have no reason to believe things have changed

There is still a lingering "we are holier than thou'" attitude around here. There is no such thing as negative recruiting versus regular recruiting. There is just "recruiting" and that's how you get the Jimmies and the Joes. These threads are just plain silly

Don't agree at all. Big difference between a coach pointing out to an OSU recruit all of the stuff swirling around Meyer and questioning whether he's gonna survive vs. a coach telling a recruit that the NCAA was getting ready to drop another round of sanctions on us. That's the crap we had to deal with. And if calling BS on that makes me holier than thou then so be it.

Agree with Madsol. If Luginbill is gonna accuse Franklin of negative recruiting, I think he is obligated to provide a bit of information indicating just what he means by that term. (In other words, tell us what Franklin supposedly said, and how Luginbill heard about it.) And then let everyone decide for himself or herself what to make of it..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT