ADVERTISEMENT

Lost in all the Temple constrnation and STEP discourse.....

Did CJF have his PC today?

Any news???

I don't know that I have much interest in what he has to say at this point - would rather he let his actions do the talking. He said he put his best five guys out there on the OL. What he didn't say is that he failed to have them adjust to what Temple was doing. #excuses

Didn't exactly have a ringing endorsement of Donovan - said they are "always evaluating" the staff's performance and there were "specific things" teams are supposed to do to counteract what Temple was doing on Saturday. Said we need to run the ball more and take more shots downfield.

There's a pretty decent summary on BlackShoeDiaries, if you're interested - I'm just going from memory (I hope I'm allowed to use the name of TOS)

Sounds like there'll be a reshuffling on the o-line. Mentioned guys like Laurent and Sorrell possibly getting some playing time.

Didn't exactly have a ringing endorsement of Donovan - said they are "always evaluating" the staff's performance and there were "specific things" teams are supposed to do to counteract what Temple was doing on Saturday. Said we need to run the ball more and take more shots downfield.

There's a pretty decent summary on BlackShoeDiaries, if you're interested - I'm just going from memory (I hope I'm allowed to use the name of TOS)
Thanks for the heads-up Raffy....appreciate it.

I'm not a big "press conference" guy......less words - more action....but:

I did see a lot that I liked in the PC:

1 - Talking about moving the pocket (maybe because it is what I was screaming - repeatedly - as I watched the replay of the game). Gotta do this!!!!

and - along those lines

2 - Acknowledgement that there ARE THINGS THAT CAN (and should) BE DONE to mitigate the protection issues (including moving the QB's launch point). Now - it don't mean much until they actually do it. But recognizing that fact is the first step....and CJF apparently made that point repeatedly (are you listening Mr Donovan?). Gotta' get the offense out of the FETAL POSITION.

3 - "Burying the Tape". I know it sounds silly.....and I usually don't put any stock in those types of hijinks.....but I REALLY like the idea (especially if - as reported - it was Hackenberg's idea). As I have said repeatedly, the most important thing this team can do is get its head straight. The surest way to NOT accomplish that is by reliving that nightmare over and over.

4 - He acknowledged that "he saw what I saw" (which makes him a genius :) )...namely that the very first sack of the game destroyed the offenses confidence. It SHOULD NOT have happened....but it did. Again, recognizing it and preventing it are two different things....but it shows me he is aware of the reality (again, the "above the neck" issues).

5 - IIRC, CJF was a psychology major. I don't know if he really learned any of that stuff :) ......but, as much as anything, this team's correctable problems (particularly on offense) originate above the neck. One would hope he can be successful in addressing some of those items.

6 - He seemed pretty genuine in his statements to critically evaluate the staff. Again, "words vs actions", but at least there is recognition.....we have all seen times in the past where issues seemed to be obvious to everyone BUT the coaching staff.

7 - One of the things that wasn't talked about much in the Temple post-mortem - but which I felt was very evident, was the clear cluster-f&ck at the line of scrimmage. Seemed like everyone was completely confused - and changing the assignments along the LOS back and forth multiple times before the snap. Took FOREVER to actually get the snaps off. CJF talked about those communication issues, and hopefully that can be smoothed out (though, in all honesty, COMMUNICATION should not have been an issue with four returning starters).

8 - Also, though I am not sure there are any good answers there, he at least seemed to indicate a willingness to look at some personnel changes up front. Again....I don't know where we see any big upgrades.....but its certainly worth at least making sure there is not someone who might have the light come on if they are actually put into game action.

We shall see

Last edited:
The improvement between the first and second game is where the season is won or lost....

1 - Talking about moving the pocket (maybe because it is what I was screaming - repeatedly - as I watched the replay of the game). Gotta do this!!!!

and - along those lines

2 - Acknowledgement that there ARE THINGS THAT CAN (and should) BE DONE to mitigate the protection issues (including moving the QB's launch point). Now - it don't mean much until they actually do it. But recognizing that fact is the first step....and CJF apparently made that point repeatedly (are you listening Mr Donovan?). Gotta' get the offense out of the FETAL POSITION.

3 - "Burying the Tape". I know it sounds silly.....and I usually don't put any stock in those types of hijinks.....but I REALLY like the idea (especially if - as reported - it was Hackenberg's idea). As I have said repeatedly, the most important thing this team can do is get its head straight. The surest way to NOT accomplish that is by reliving that nightmare over and over.

4 - He acknowledged that "he saw what I saw" (which makes him a genius :) )...namely that the very first sack of the game destroyed the offenses confidence. It SHOULD NOT have happened....but it did. Again, recognizing it and preventing it are two different things....but it shows me he is aware of the reality (again, the "above the neck" issues).

5 - IIRC, CJF was a psychology major. I don't know if he really learned any of that stuff :) ......but, as much as anything, this team's correctable problems (particularly on offense) originate above the neck. One would hope he can be successful in addressing some of those items.

6 - He seemed pretty genuine in his statements to critically evaluate the staff. Again, "words vs actions", but at least there is recognition.....we have all seen times in the past where issues seemed to be obvious to everyone BUT the coaching staff.

7 - One of the things that wasn't talked about much in the Temple post-mortem - but which I felt was very evident, was the clear cluster-f&ck at the line of scrimmage. Seemed like everyone was completely confused - and changing the assignments along the LOS back and forth multiple times before the snap. Took FOREVER to actually get the snaps off. CJF talked about those communication issues, and hopefully that can be smoothed out (though, in all honesty, COMMUNICATION should not have been an issue with four returning starters).

8 - Also, though I am not sure there are any good answers there, he at least seemed to indicate a willingness to look at some personnel changes up front. Again....I don't know where we see any big upgrades.....but its certainly worth at least making sure there is not someone who might have the light come on if they are actually put into game action.

We shall see

Good recap...he basically said that a lot of miscommunication on defense was due to Wartman's injury and freshmen playing. He also said they needed to get TE involved. Finally, he said nothing T did was a big surprise; they just failed to execute against it. He also said that everyone, downstream, will watch the film and do the same until we beat it. Said VT played the same defense against tOSU and tOSU made them pay with big plays.

Good recap...he basically said that a lot of miscommunication on defense was due to Wartman's injury and freshmen playing. He also said they needed to get TE involved. Finally, he said nothing T did was a big surprise; they just failed to execute against it. He also said that everyone, downstream, will watch the film and do the same until we beat it. Said VT played the same defense against tOSU and tOSU made them pay with big plays.
Well....there is plenty of work to be done.....for sure.

and - along those lines

We shall see
I'm inclined to think #6 is not at all genuine. Don't get me wrong, I, like most, was excited with the hire. But, as time went on there was something intangible that bothered me about him (I guess the whole salesman approach). I've pretty much tuned him out of late and get the feeling he will wear thin sooner rather than later.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT