ADVERTISEMENT

Losing this type of road game (PSU was a road dog) against #6 team happens & PSU is now 18-2...

CJF_Said_The_Great_Joe_Paterno

Oct 28, 2017
...in their last 20 games (with the loses coming to other top-ranked teams) & PSU is still very much in the thick of things and just needs to focus on its own business, so it is tough to be extremely critical or overly disappointed imho. These types of loses are inevitable - look at Alabama as a good example, easily the best team in the nation but have only gone undefeated 1 time over the past 5 years and have taken a regular season losses in 3 of those years (Clemson the last 2 years also another good example).

But the one play call that I really did not understand was the 3rd-&-2 play call on our final series of the 3rd Quarter when we were up 35-20 at the time (we had moved the ball from our own 6 yard line out to the 29 yard line). Effectively we ran a delayed RPO "draw play" to Barkley on 3rd-&-2 when you knew for sure OSU would be "run/pass blitzing" at the LOS - sure enough OSU flooded the LOS on the 3rd-&-2 and tackled Barkley as soon as TM gave him the ball for a 4 yard loss. The play call made zero sense IMHO and was way to conservative - essentially, PSU had to know that OSU would be flooding the LOS with 7 attackers and looking for Barkley to get the ball....and if he didn't, get to TM as quickly as possible. The call signaled that PSU was perfectly happy to punt the ball, play field position and put the game on the defense - why CJF was willing to gamble on having the defense make the win stand up is a bit baffling given that Barrett finished the game 33 of 39 for 328 yards, 4 Passing TDs and 0 INTs (and OSU ended up with 529 yards of Total Offense). I also didn't get the Barkley run on 3rd-&17 from the OSU 49 yard-line which went for 6 yards on our next series after recovering the OSU fumble....but this one was less egregious imho as a delayed run (i.e., an effective "draw play") has a better shot of working since the OSU defense would have been looking for a downfield pass and pass rushers would have been rushing straight up the field to get to the QB, which is what a draw is looking to exploit.

...in their last 20 games (with the loses coming to other top-ranked teams) & PSU is still very much in the thick of things and just needs to focus on its own business, so it is tough to be extremely critical or overly disappointed imho. These types of loses are inevitable - look at Alabama as a good example, easily the best team in the nation but have only gone undefeated 1 time over the past 5 years and have taken a regular season losses in 3 of those years (Clemson the last 2 years also another good example).

But the one play call that I really did not understand was the 3rd-&-2 play call on our final series of the 3rd Quarter when we were up 35-20 at the time (we had moved the ball from our own 6 yard line out to the 29 yard line). Effectively we ran a delayed RPO "draw play" to Barkley on 3rd-&-2 when you knew for sure OSU would be "run/pass blitzing" at the LOS - sure enough OSU flooded the LOS on the 3rd-&-2 and tackled Barkley as soon as TM gave him the ball for a 4 yard loss. The play call made zero sense IMHO and was way to conservative - essentially, PSU had to know that OSU would be flooding the LOS with 7 attackers and looking for Barkley to get the ball....and if he didn't, get to TM as quickly as possible. The call signaled that PSU was perfectly happy to punt the ball, play field position and put the game on the defense - why CJF was willing to gamble on having the defense make the win stand up is a bit baffling given that Barrett finished the game 33 of 39 for 328 yards, 4 Passing TDs and 0 INTs (and OSU ended up with 529 yards of Total Offense). I also didn't get the Barkley run on 3rd-&17 from the OSU 49 yard-line which went for 6 yards on our next series after recovering the OSU fumble....but this one was less egregious imho as a delayed run (i.e., an effective "draw play") has a better shot of working since the OSU defense would have been looking for a downfield pass and pass rushers would have been rushing straight up the field to get to the QB, which is what a draw is looking to exploit.
I believe this is the play in question. I also believe this is the play 52 got hurt? The question you have to ask is, if they bring 4 off the PS how are you going to block it?

I believe this is the play in question. I also believe this is the play 52 got hurt? The question you have to ask is, if they bring 4 off the PS how are you going to block it?

If a short slant or some other type of conservative pass play had been called instead of a delayed RPO handoff 5 yards deep in the backfield, Saquon would have been blocking #4 on the play! (this would be true even if TM first "play actioned" to Barkley and pulled the ball for a short pass). Take a look at the replay and stop it as #4 is coming off a safety blitz from the far right of OSU's side of the LOS - Barkley is in perfect position to lay a block on #4 after a quick play-action run fake by McSorley and no other OSU player is anywhere near TM.

Exactly why you need to change the offensive philosophy at that point or when you know something has changed. Adjustments are part of the game. They called timeouts. I don’t know why Franklin didn’t say to either coach on offense or defense that they need to adjust quickly. We went into conservative play that killed the offense and osu went into hurry up offense and we couldn’t get set and then were beaten several times with receivers getting behind us. It was evident live and then watched on tv last night and I noticed the same thing. I do hope they learn from this. Second time a top program came from way behind and beat us like we did with other teams last year.

Exactly why you need to change the offensive philosophy at that point or when you know something has changed. Adjustments are part of the game. They called timeouts. I don’t know why Franklin didn’t say to either coach on offense or defense that they need to adjust quickly. We went into conservative play that killed the offense and osu went into hurry up offense and we couldn’t get set and then were beaten several times with receivers getting behind us. It was evident live and then watched on tv last night and I noticed the same thing. I do hope they learn from this. Second time a top program came from way behind and beat us like we did with other teams last year.

How OSU's TE was running free behind the entire defense on OSU's last TD was rather baffling. PSU was leading by 5 (38-33) on the play, there was just under 2 minutes to play remaining and the ball was at the PSU 16/17 yard-line. No way should an OSU Eligible Receiver be able to get behind the entire defense and be running free in the end-zone in this situation given that PSU has a 5 point lead, a FG does not help OSU and a TD is the only thing that potentially loses the game for you. Simply no way on earth that PSU should be in a "Cover 0" defensive alignment (i.e., no deep Safety help) in this situation that allowed an OSU Eligible Receiver to be well behind our entire defense, running by himself in the end-zone with no PSU defender within 20 yards of him -- should not happen, no way, no how and there is no way a Defensive Formation that could permit such a thing should have ever been called (i.e., all eligible receivers being guarded "match-up man" with ZERO safeties on the deep hash-marks to read for deep help on either side of field). How PSU was not in some form of "2 Deep Coverage" on that play is baffling....but our pass defense schemes sucked all day long, not just that play.

How OSU's TE was running free behind the entire defense on OSU's last TD was rather baffling. PSU was leading by 5 (38-33) on the play, there was just under 2 minutes to play remaining and the ball was at the PSU 16/17 yard-line. No way should an OSU Eligible Receiver be able to get behind the entire defense and be running free in the end-zone in this situation given that PSU has a 5 point lead, a FG does not help OSU and a TD is the only thing that potentially loses the game for you. Simply no way on earth that PSU should be in a "Cover 0" defensive alignment (i.e., no deep Safety help) in this situation that allowed an OSU Eligible Receiver to be well behind our entire defense, running by himself in the end-zone with no PSU defender within 20 yards of him -- should not happen, no way, no how and there is no way a Defensive Formation that could permit such a thing should have ever been called (i.e., all eligible receivers being guarded "match-up man" with ZERO safeties on the deep hash-marks to read for deep help on either side of field). How PSU was not in some form of "2 Deep Coverage" on that play is baffling....but our pass defense schemes sucked all day long, not just that play.
I assume you are talking about this play. PSU was not in cover ZERO, they actually were in cover 3, that said, I dont know why #28 was so influenced by the run fake, and he maybe he needs to be a little deeper. for me, I wish one of the underneath guys would have hit him on his release.

I think you mean ...
16-2 in last 18 games or
17-3 in last 20 games or
18-4 in last 22 games ...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT