ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like PSU just got closer to the 85 scholarship limit....

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC
Freshman OL Martin no longer listed on PSU roster

https://247sports.com/college/penn-...-longer-on-the-Nittany-Lions-roster-118227338

Penn State redshirt freshman offensive lineman Robert Martin is no longer on the Nittany Lions roster. The change came during a Monday update in which four summer enrollees were added to the official roster.
The 6-foot-4, 273-pound Martin redshirted last season and was listed on the White team for the spring game in April, but did not play. Martin never cracked the depth chart at Penn State and spent the 2017 season on the scout team. He was expected to be a deep reserve for the Nittany Lions as a redshirt freshman.
A three-star prospect out of Montvale (N.J.) St. Joseph’s Prep in the Class of 2017, Martin was one of the first commitments in the cycle, joining CJ Thorpe in committing at the 2016 Blue-White Game. He chose the Nittany Lions over scholarship offers from Duke, Kentucky, Maryland, Nebraska and Virginia Tech. Martin was a second team all-state selection as a senior in 2017.
His status doesn’t change anything for the Nittany Lions up front heading into the 2018 season. Martin was a deep reserve at guard, where classmates Thorpe and Michael Miranda have already appeared on the depth chart. The Nittany Lions will have 15 offensive linemen on scholarship this coming season, as well as walk-ons Zach Simpsonand Charlie Shuman as interior players.
The Nittany Lions will welcome freshmen Rasheed Walker, Nana Asiedu, Juice Scruggs and Bryce Effner to the mix this summer.

Not much to know about Martin during what looks like his short PSU career, although he was still listed in the 270's after almost a year in the S&C program, so he had a long way to go to build a body that could play OL for PSU. Wish Mr. Martin the best, and hope he finds a place where he can get on the field and also excel in the classroom!!

Edit: Looks like he lost his desire for football and my just give it up.

Recruiting profile:
1_4574054.jpg

Robert MartinSt. Joseph Regional (Montvale, NJ)
  • OT
  • 6-5
633 overall in 2017 class
65th rated OT
17th in NJ

Last edited:
Reactions: step.eng69
Best wishes to Robbie. I don't think they actually have to be at the 85 level until fall camp begins but don't expect it would be that late into the summer.

I think Art already did respond a while back; he said a school must be at 85 or less at all times. Thus, once all the new recruits arrive, PSU must be at 85.

If I am in error, Art, I apologize.

Maybe Mr. Martin stays at PSU and enjoys his college years???

i.e. having given up football and his scholarship...

I will assume that publication backs your remarks, but how could you have 86 or 87 enrolled, in school, and then get down to 85 in August? Are you going to tell them to start paying for themselves on August 2nd, or whatever?

Hope someone can clear this up.

August is when the final actual scholarships are signed, just prior to the pre-season practice. That’s when the numbers from the scholarships are increased for more incoming frosh for the fall semester.

So consider that those who have not signed the actual scholarship paperwork are not yet counted. Signing an LOI on signing day isn’t relevant to counting signed scholarships.

Last edited:
Clearing out the dead wood pile. I believe there's another member of the OL, an upperclassman, who may be a candidate to join Mr. Martin before fall practice. Guess we'll hafta wait and see.

If he was "processed" he wouldn't be saying he is completely done with football. He would simply move on to another school to play. Contrary to popular belief, some kids or humans just don't love the game as much as people think they should just because they are good at it.

Yeah I guess his tweet was posted after the original post.

Good luck to him.

Reactions: step.eng69
If he was "processed" he wouldn't be saying he is completely done with football. He would simply move on to another school to play. Contrary to popular belief, some kids or humans just don't love the game as much as people think they should just because they are good at it.
Maybe, but how did Franklin know that he had another scholarship to offer back in February? Seems like quite a coincidence.

I will assume that publication backs your remarks, but how could you have 86 or 87 enrolled, in school, and then get down to 85 in August? Are you going to tell them to start paying for themselves on August 2nd, or whatever?

Hope someone can clear this up.

Just the opposite.

15.5.1.8 Summer-Term Aid.
Institutional financial aid received during a summer term is not countable in these limitations and does not make a student-athlete a counter.
15.5.1.8.1 Exception—Football. [FBS/FCS]
In football, a prospective student-athlete who receives athletically related financial aid during a summer term prior to initial full-time enrollment at the certifying institution shall be an initial and overall counter for the ensuing academic year. (See Bylaws 15.02.3 and 15.5.6.) (Adopted: 1/14/12)

Clear enough now?

August is when the final actual scholarships are signed, just prior to the pre-season practice. That’s when the numbers from the scholarships are increased for more incoming frosh for the fall semester.

So consider that those who have not signed the actual scholarship paperwork are not yet counted. Signing an LOI on signing day isn’t relevant to counting signed scholarships.

So a kid who receives financial aid for the summer terms hasn't signed the relevant paperwork? Interesting, but if he's getting the money, I'm not sure the NCAA cares

That was my impression when i read the article earlier this morning, wish him well, and I hope he stays at PSU.

So a kid who receives financial aid for the summer terms hasn't signed the relevant paperwork? Interesting, but if he's getting the money, I'm not sure the NCAA cares

Could have been worded and edited better.

Art is the expert...... but I believe that when the rest of the freshman arrive (early June?) their scholarship clock starts...... so they would have to be down to 85 by then.

BTW: 4 Year Scholarships :)

Which raise an interesting question: if a kid is dropped from the football (or any other) program and remains at PSU on a full ride, is that scholarship charged back to the Athletic Department/football program?

IDK... interesting question (though another $40,000 per year is nothing... compared to what the 3 dozen AAADs cost :) keep them on scholarship

I would think the NCAA would be very interested...... 'cause I don't know how the kid could stay "on scholarship", and not count against the 85.
Otherwise, it would be the Wild West - with every guy who doesn't crack the 2-deep being placed on "non-athletic scholarship" :) .... even if - academically - he couldn't fog a mirror.

Then again.... this is the NCAA we are talking about :rolleyes:

My "best guess"....... these kids like Martin? Their "scholarship" is Kaput. But I couldn't say for sure.

Somehow, I won't be surprised when most of these kids who "give up football" at a major program wind up surfacing over the next year or so as a football player - on athletic scholarship - at a lower level program.

NCAA only cares about the number who are on the team and receive a scholarship. Coach could cut 3,000 kids, arrange to keep them on scholarship, and the NCAA wouldn't give two hoots. Actually, they'd probably spin it in a way to demonstrate dedication to academics.

Can a scholarship player drop down and become a walk-on player?

Yeah, but he'd better not be receiving a dime of financial aid from the school unless it wants a proctological exam from the NCAA. Their enforcement nimrods get major wood for stuff like this.

Reactions: ThePennsyOracle
That brings to mind a kid from a few years back named Erik Noll. He was a highly lineman rated coming out of high school. When he was growing up into a large human being I wouldn't doubt if some people were pushing him toward football because of it. It's like when a kid is tall some people think they should automatically play basketball. Anyway, IIRC Erik Noll was also an excellent student and had other interests beyond athletics. After a short time on the football team he announced his desire to give up the sport and pursue other interests. A person needs to follow their own path.

That brings to mind a kid from a few years back named Erik Noll. He was a highly lineman rated coming out of high school. When he was growing up into a large human being I wouldn't doubt if some people were pushing him toward football because of it. It's like when a kid is tall some people think they should automatically play basketball. Anyway, IIRC Erik Noll was also an excellent student and had other interests beyond athletics. After a short time on the football team he announced his desire to give up the sport and pursue other interests. A person needs to follow their own path.

I was curious about Noll. Looks like he had some academic issues.

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archives/article_b40c0372-5726-5347-a9ae-f2d2513bb3e8.html

Can a scholarship player drop down and become a walk-on player?

Yes, but he'd still be a counter.

There are provisions for someone who's been there at least one year and has at least a 3.0 GPA and receives legit academic scholarships to not count. But those are pretty rare situations.

Yes, but he'd still be a counter.

There are provisions for someone who's been there at least one year and has at least a 3.0 GPA and receives legit academic scholarships to not count. But those are pretty rare situations.

All of this is wrong. Sorry.

Reactions: stormingnorm
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT