ADVERTISEMENT

Lightening strike last night started a fire about 5 mile from our home.

MontereyLion

May 29, 2001
This picture from from our back yard. Called the River Fire. About 2000 acres and out of control.

117406457_10221286785936536_4268224509360819188_o.jpg

Reactions: PSU87
We drove through 68 and smoke was visible from Monterey Airport to Gonzales. Flames by Toro and along River Road. Fortunately, saw CDF aircraft landing at Salinas airport. That’s an immense help.

Stay safe.

Reactions: MontereyLion
Wow. Could be a brutal fire season out west. Used to live in SD and dealt with several of them. Scary. Also dealt with them at our resorts in Napa and Santa Barbara a few years ago. They seem to get bigger by the years and start earlier.

Reactions: BBrown
Wow...good luck with that.

CA is the most beautiful place on the planet (at least mainstream population centers) but is stricken with fires, droughts, earthquakes, riots, etc. Now we have rolling blackouts. With all of that, is still impossible to afford for most Americans.

Well, OK, in the meantime, 10,760 homes for sale in Manhattan right now.

Or Loyalton on the Nevada border? They happen a lot, I guess it’s more rare they get caught on camera though. Pretty sure there was one on the Lake Fire last week.

7, possibly 9 lightning starts on the Mendocino.

Reactions: GSPMax
This picture from from our back yard. Called the River Fire. About 2000 acres and out of control.

117406457_10221286785936536_4268224509360819188_o.jpg
Stay safe.
Despite living with hurricanes, one of my worst memories was Florida's really bad fire season in '98. With hurricanes you see them coming. With fires I never knew which day my wife would be calling and saying "come home so we can gather up our stuff and get out of here". We ended up evacuating for 5 days but returned to an intact house.
I hope the wind blows in the right direction for you.

Reactions: psu00 and LionJim
Had a bunch of fires started by lighting yesterday in Northern NV. Luckily we got a pretty good rain storm last night. Have lighting and thunder going on now, hope it is wet enough so no fires gets started. Had one start about a mile from the house.

Picture from our back yard last night.....
117610170_10221287607797082_4421123189164782749_o.jpg

Yikes.
I've been hiking in Joshua Tree the last few days and on todays hike came across a Joshua Tree that was smoldering and smoking pretty good. No idea what could have started it but it was too much for our bottles of water to put out so we had to mark the location, back track and then called 911 with the location as soon as we got a signal.
We waited for the firetruck and then showed them where it was. They doused the tree with a foam. Fireman did thank us because he said while it looked just like smoldering on the outside it was pretty hot inside.
But had no clue as to how or what started it.

Wow. Could be a brutal fire season out west. Used to live in SD and dealt with several of them. Scary. Also dealt with them at our resorts in Napa and Santa Barbara a few years ago. They seem to get bigger by the years and start earlier.
They most certainly have much greater coverage.

Picture from our back yard last night.....
117610170_10221287607797082_4421123189164782749_o.jpg
Be careful and take care of yourself. My sister lives in the southern most portion of Monterey County about 4 miles from Oak Shores on Lake Nacimiento. Apparently fire is not in that area, but undoubtedly there is a significant risk of fire where my sister lives.

Be careful and take care of yourself. My sister lives in the southern most portion of Monterey County about 4 miles from Oak Shores on Lake Nacimiento. Apparently fire is not in that area, but undoubtedly there is a significant risk of fire where my sister lives.
Yeah, it's hot and dry in the whole state. Fire danger is high.

Things are looking up today. The fire doesn't look as ominous from our house. 550 firefighters, 66 firetrucks, 8 air tankers, 2 helicopters, 18 dozers, 3,800 acres burnt so far and 10% contained.

We are about 3 weeks into the Pine Gulch fire here in Mesa County Colorado. It was also caused by a lightning strike. Its pushing 130k acres and is probably going to break the record for largest fire ever in Colorado. I live in the Grand Valley, no fire risk but the air quality is terrible. Every morning my truck is covered in ash and it looks like a volcano erupted. Its like nothing I have ever seen.

So we have been on evacation warning for most of the last week. The River Fire made a run at Toro Park, here in Monterey County. That is where the HQ to fight the fire was set up. It is also the staging area for the firetrucks. They used 10 bulldozers and backfires to beat it back. The fire got within a few hundred yards of jumping 68 and getting into our neighborhood. A big swath of area was on manditory evacuation, from River Road in Salinas Valley to Carmel Valley Village in Carmel Valley. Yesterday many mandatory evacuations and warnings were lifted. Including ours. Now back to our normal Covid life.

Not so lucky here. The aforementioned Hennessy became the LNU complex and burned a couple hundred thousand acres, the fires on the forest have mostly merged and are pushing 200k. Plus something burning over in Plumas where I was working last year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT