ADVERTISEMENT

Let's kill some time. Name PSU's most important positive play and most devastating....

Howie'81

Gold Member
Aug 28, 2001
West Orange, NJ
.....play for the 2017 season. You can only name one play for each, no more. I know what mine are, but I'll hold my thoughts so as not to bias anyone. Go!

.....play for the 2017 season. You can only name one play for each, no more. I know what mine are, but I'll hold my thoughts so as not to bias anyone. Go!

The McSorley Barkley two second tango/tangle was the worst.
Wheel route to Barkley for the best.

Devastating: Punt block vs OSU. Totally changed game momentum. Also set tone for MSU game IMO.

Positive: Juwan Johnson last second TD catch on a laser throw from Trace vs Iowa. Kept us undefeated before the “ gauntlet”.

This is easily #1 choice...

#2 choice would be IMHO the roughing the passer play on Marcus Allen vs MSU

While the blocked punt was definitely a game changer, I would say a series of three running play up the middle with us having the ball first and goal at the three against O$U. Settling for a field goal instead of going for a TD changed the outcome of the game. Where was the Tommy Gun formation? A TD there seals the game.

Definitely McSorley to Johnson against Iowa hands down...not even close.

Last edited:

Positive: final play for the TD in Iowa.
Negative: Punt block against OSU.

How about all time?

Positive: "He's going for the thunder"
Negative: Bama's Sugar Bowl goal line stand

Devastating: Punt block vs OSU. Totally changed game momentum. Also set tone for MSU game IMO.

Positive: Juwan Johnson last second TD catch on a laser throw from Trace vs Iowa. Kept us undefeated before the “ gauntlet”.
Agree with this. Runner up was 4th down drop against MSU. We complete that we go in for the game winning FG.

Agree the with the punt block, second worst was the tOSU defender tackling both McS and SaSa at the same time. It wasn't devastating from a football perspective, but was simply embarrassing. If I was the OL coach, I'd have a photo of that handy for motivational purposes this summer in the weight room and next fall.

While the blocked punt was definitely a moment changer, I would say a series of three running play up the middle with us having the ball first and goal at the three against O$U. Settling for a field goal instead of going for a TD changed the outcome of the game. Where was the Tommy Gun formation? A TD there seals the game.

Agree on both counts.

I have a very different view of the "negative" play. It was actually a play where SB rushed for a first down. Unfortunately, Bates got hurt on the play. That one play was, IMO, ultimately responsible for both losses.

Devastating.....this for several reasons, same play USC hit on us in the Rose Bowl, and it, by definition, devastating can not be an offensive play, because you know, we averaged 41 points per game!

positive: here

Sounds like time for a new poll. The most important positive play was obviously the came winning TD pass vs. Iowa. The only question is which was the most devastating play(s):
  1. Punt block vs. OSU
  2. PSU running up the middle 3 times from 1st and goal vs OSU (I'll add 3 straight running plays on the next possession too).
  3. Thompkins 4th down drop vs. MSU
  4. M. Allen personal foul to put MSU into game winning FG position.
All good candidates. Get any one of those 4 plays back and PSU is probably in the playoffs.

Sounds like time for a new poll. The most important positive play was obviously the came winning TD pass vs. Iowa. The only question is which was the most devastating play(s):
  1. Punt block vs. OSU
  2. PSU running up the middle 3 times from 1st and goal vs OSU (I'll add 3 straight running plays on the next possession too).
  3. Thompkins 4th down drop vs. MSU
  4. M. Allen personal foul to put MSU into game winning FG position.
All good candidates. Get any one of those 4 plays back and PSU is probably in the playoffs.

#4 was not devastating. As soon as Hopkins missed the 4th down conversion, the only question remaining was whether or not MSU was going to score a TD or FG as time expired to win. They were moving through our defense like a hot knife through butter. The MA penalty was on 3rd and 4, I believe. Even if he doesn't make that penalty, I had no faith the defense wouldn't have given up the conversion on the next play (4th down) and MSU still goes on to score.

Obviously, we will never know, but I had zero faith the defense would stop them from scoring at that point in the game.

Positive is easy. Trace to Juwan for the win.

Negative. Disagree on the blocked punt. We weren't stopping them anyway. Driving 30 yards or 70 they were scoring.
I'll go with the missed 4th down against MSU. I think if we get that we win that game.
At the point of the blocked punt, they scored 3 total points in the second half. Best case scenario for the Buckeyes is they had to go 80+ yards. With no momentum, they weren't going to do that in 34 seconds. That's what got the defense back on their heels.

Throwing in three big plays that have not yet been mentioned:

1. McSorley to Blacknall on 4th-and-2 EARLIER in the game-winning drive. Obviously, if that doesn't happen, there is no last-second TD.

2, 3. McSorley hitting Johnson and Hamilton early in our last 1st half drive against Michigan. If that doesn't happen, we go into the half only up 14-13. That TD to make it 21-13 was huge - gave us some breathing room and positive momentum before the half (U-M had had the momentum).

One negative:

1. We had the infamous 4th-down-and-3 against MSU. We were in a 4th-down-and-3 because on 2nd-and-10 there was some sort of miscommunication between McSorley and Gesicki - MSU got a free rush, McSorley threw it to where he seemingly expected Gesicki to be but noone was there. Grounding and now it's 3rd-and-19. Gesicki got 16 on the next play but it would still be 4th down.

Last edited:
Reactions: psu2016
#4 was not devastating. As soon as Hopkins missed the 4th down conversion, the only question remaining was whether or not MSU was going to score a TD or FG as time expired to win. They were moving through our defense like a hot knife through butter. The MA penalty was on 3rd and 4, I believe. Even if he doesn't make that penalty, I had no faith the defense wouldn't have given up the conversion on the next play (4th down) and MSU still goes on to score.

Obviously, we will never know, but I had zero faith the defense would stop them from scoring at that point in the game.
Wrong. The PF was on 3rd down and we had stopped them on a nice play by Castro-Fields. They were not in FG range, they would have punted and played for OT. I didn’t particularly like our chances in OT given how bad the defense was playing, but to say the PF wasn’t devastating is wrong.

Reactions: psu2016
Wrong. The PF was on 3rd down and we had stopped them on a nice play by Castro-Fields. They were not in FG range, they would have punted and played for OT. I didn’t particularly like our chances in OT given how bad the defense was playing, but to say the PF wasn’t devastating is wrong.
It would have been 4th and 3 from our 37 with about 45 seconds left. MSU started their drive on their own 31. What makes you so sure they would have punted? Neither of us know, but considering the way they were moving the ball, I can see Dantonio trying to go for the win in regulation instead of playing for ot. He has a pretty good track record of being aggressive and playing for the win rather than playing not to lose.

What was more likely, picking up 3 yards on 4th and 3 and then picking up another 10-15 to kick the game winning fg (ie playing to win) or going for it, getting stopped, and having PSU drive 45-50 yards in 40 seconds to kick a fg as time expired?

Who knows, I can see the argument for either decision, but regardless, I had no faith in our defense by that point in the game.

While the blocked punt was definitely a game changer, I would say a series of three running play up the middle with us having the ball first and goal at the three against O$U. Settling for a field goal instead of going for a TD changed the outcome of the game. Where was the Tommy Gun formation? A TD there seals the game.

Until the day I die, I will swear that when we settled for that field goal, I knew we would lose. All game, I kept saying we had to get to 40, in fact I think i set the safe limit at 49. That sequence killed the season. They got away with settling for field goals in Iowa. But in Columbus, with the defense leaking oil all over the place,
A touchdown there would have sealed the deal and we would be talking about how we are going to crush Baker Mayfield!!!

TD at OSU rather than FG puts us by 15 rather than 11 with 5 mins 30 secs left. This means OSU needs at least one 2-point conversion after one of their TDs.

I suppose that you can argue that since OSU failed twice on 2-point conversions that they would have also failed with the game on the line. OTOH, they might have run a different kind of play knowing they lose if they don't convert.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT