ADVERTISEMENT

'Laz' cherishes days as Nittany Lion - San Diego sportcaster and former Charger

therod

Jul 9, 2002
"I said, ‘Mom and Dad, I’m going to Duke!’" And my mother said to me, " ‘No you’re not. You’re going to Penn State!’ ”

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/sep/25/jim-laslavic-penn-state-paterno/

Laslavic recalled a recruiting meeting with Paterno, and in one sitting the coach quoted Vince Lombardi, poet Robert Browning and St. Thomas Aquinas. Laslavic related that story at a banquet in front of Paterno, who quipped, “If you had seen Laslavic as a freshman, you wouldn’t be quoting St. Thomas, you’d be praying to him.”

“If you had seen Laslavic as a freshman, you wouldn’t be quoting St. Thomas, you’d be praying to him.”

Vintage Joe.

Reactions: T J and 91Joe95
Three years ago, when Paterno’s legacy was battered by the Jerry Sandusky molestation scandal, the legend losing his job and dying in the midst of the turmoil, Laslavic was deeply pained. Reticent to discuss it, he said, “I’d sum it up by saying I felt that Joe felt there was more he could have done. He said that to Franco Harris. And I think everybody thinks that.”

Howcum nobody ever gets that quote right? He said "With the benefit if hindsight...."

Three years ago, when Paterno’s legacy was battered by the Jerry Sandusky molestation scandal, the legend losing his job and dying in the midst of the turmoil, Laslavic was deeply pained. Reticent to discuss it, he said, “I’d sum it up by saying I felt that Joe felt there was more he could have done. He said that to Franco Harris. And I think everybody thinks that.”

Howcum nobody ever gets that quote right? He said "With the benefit if hindsight...."

I have no idea why people get the quote wrong. Only wish that he had not put that in his letter of resignation; every media talking head jumped on it and got it wrong. Thus we have this misquote today.

Reactions: 91Joe95
I have no idea why people get the quote wrong. Only wish that he had not put that in his letter of resignation; every media talking head jumped on it and got it wrong. Thus we have this misquote today.

It's horrible how that statement has been misquoted but the allegations of an intentional cover up are even worse.

Some people think Joe did exactly what he was supposed to do while others think he should have done more. Fair enough, but claiming that Joe covered up for Sandusky in order to protect the football program is simply absurd.

Reactions: therod and 91Joe95
Espn as a matter of fact all media can kiss my butt.I will never forget or forgive what they did to a good man and his family.

"I said, ‘Mom and Dad, I’m going to Duke!’" And my mother said to me, " ‘No you’re not. You’re going to Penn State!’ ”

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/sep/25/jim-laslavic-penn-state-paterno/

Laslavic recalled a recruiting meeting with Paterno, and in one sitting the coach quoted Vince Lombardi, poet Robert Browning and St. Thomas Aquinas. Laslavic related that story at a banquet in front of Paterno, who quipped, “If you had seen Laslavic as a freshman, you wouldn’t be quoting St. Thomas, you’d be praying to him.”
Thanks for posting. Worth reading despite the spelling of "Alleghany."

Reactions: therod
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT