ADVERTISEMENT

Law firm of ex-team doctor: Players who defended PSU’s James Franklin may not have whole story

Legion of Lions

Nov 16, 2011
Here we go again.....In today's PC-driven world, the most important thing is to make accusations FIRST and then let the media "spin it" into a "Story of Negativity" to the public. We live in a world where laws are abandoned and accusations have become public proof of guilt.

Unfortunately by now, PSU is the benchmark of this kind of public deception. So here goes a "method analysis" of how this lawyer plans to shape the public's opinion and therefore enter into the PSU "moneytrain".

Please note that the methods being used by this "lawyer" have been seen before (2012+) as a means to promote to the public what has a 99% chance of being a perversion of reality.

ALSO... funny that this "case" is being presented as another "whistleblower" case calling out the "corrupt PSU Football culture".

Lets look at what is now known and how this is being presented to the public - as is usual with "lawyer speak" these "stories" are a highly engineered set of messages to the public designed to hide reality and advance the PR pressure on PSU. Objective - to hand out a blank check.

Legal issues against coach James Franklin are "...he pressured a former team doctor of prematurely clearing injured players..." FIRST _ note the key words of the legal issue alleged - PRESSURED and PREMATURELY - totally open to individualized interpretations.

THEN - note the new specifics used in the latest public "story" told to the public by Steven F. Marino of Marino Associates in Philly. NOTE especially again how the following KEY terms were used by the lawyer to dispute player statements made after PSU football players universally came to Franklin's defense.

Per Marino - these players ".. MAY not have the whole story" as they may be unaware of "Dr. Lynch and his medical personnel under Dr. Lynch’s command..." had "...communications which athletes may not have had knowledge of, not fully appreciated..."

All of the key terms are TOTALLY speculative and COMPLETELY indefinite.

This case only has merit if WIDESPREAD instances of ignoring medial issues were part of Franklin and PSU's method of operation. -- NOT
one or two examples open for discussion, interpretation and debate on minor medical issues. This small number of debatable (and common interpretations) is what is most likely reality. I suspect that Dr. Scott A. Lynch is a control freak who wants to control what color band-aid is used on a player's paper cut - anything less and he feels "pressured".

So, the intent of this most current media story is to build public doubt on the validity of the defense of Franklin by PSU players (Also - notice ONLY Franklin is mentioned).

"...

Here we go again.....In today's PC-driven world, the most important thing is to make accusations FIRST and then let the media "spin it" into a "Story of Negativity" to the public. We live in a world where laws are abandoned and accusations have become public proof of guilt.

Unfortunately by now, PSU is the benchmark of this kind of public deception. So here goes a "method analysis" of how this lawyer plans to shape the public's opinion and therefore enter into the PSU "moneytrain".

Please note that the methods being used by this "lawyer" have been seen before (2012+) as a means to promote to the public what has a 99% chance of being a perversion of reality.

ALSO... funny that this "case" is being presented as another "whistleblower" case calling out the "corrupt PSU Football culture".

Lets look at what is now known and how this is being presented to the public - as is usual with "lawyer speak" these "stories" are a highly engineered set of messages to the public designed to hide reality and advance the PR pressure on PSU. Objective - to hand out a blank check.

Legal issues against coach James Franklin are "...he pressured a former team doctor of prematurely clearing injured players..." FIRST _ note the key words of the legal issue alleged - PRESSURED and PREMATURELY - totally open to individualized interpretations.

THEN - note the new specifics used in the latest public "story" told to the public by Steven F. Marino of Marino Associates in Philly. NOTE especially again how the following KEY terms were used by the lawyer to dispute player statements made after PSU football players universally came to Franklin's defense.

Per Marino - these players ".. MAY not have the whole story" as they may be unaware of "Dr. Lynch and his medical personnel under Dr. Lynch’s command..." had "...communications which athletes may not have had knowledge of, not fully appreciated..."

This case only has merit if WIDESPREAD instances of ignoring medial issues were part of Franklin and PSU's method of operation. -- NOT
one or two examples open for discussion, interpretation and debate on minor medical issues. This small number of debatable (and common interpretations) is what is most likely reality. I suspect that Dr. Scott A. Lynch is a control freak who wants to control what color band-aid is used on a player's paper cut - anything less and he feels "pressured".

So, the intent of this most current media story is to build public doubt on the validity of the defense of Franklin by PSU players (Also - notice ONLY Franklin is mentioned).

"...

Training a jury. Lynch is probably also a bit jealous that the football program gets more attention than his wrestling program.

Reactions: N&B4PSU

"...

I would find it extremely unlikely the players have the whole story. Nor should they.

LdN

Forget judges and juries. Lawyers simply need to win in the media.

COURT. OF. PUBLIC. OPINION. :eek:

The doctor's lawyers will continue to spin their narrative, and the media and general public will eat it up. For one, it's Penn State, so it must be true. Second, Franklin, at the advice of his lawyers (and probably with a strong urging from his bosses), will stay silent. Same for Sandy. Besides, Franklin has football games to get ready for. :eek: In time, the players in defense of Franklin will be forgotten and the media and general public will be hearing just the doctor's lawyers. One-sided narrative created. That's how I expect this to play out, of course, during the season.

I hate us.

This story is already out of the public consiousness. No need for Franklin to say anything further as that will only serve to resurrect it. The chances of this ever seeing the inside of a courtroom are infinitesimal so trying to argue to a jury at this point is a waste of time.

This story is already out of the public consiousness. No need for Franklin to say anything further as that will only serve to resurrect it. The chances of this ever seeing the inside of a courtroom are infinitesimal so trying to argue to a jury at this point is a waste of time.
I agree. This story will have no traction.

Let’s see if the doctor’s lawyers shut up about it or keep talking to the media. These lawyers could get it back into the public consciousness with a media lacking intellectual curiosity and that is all too willing to report the narrative. I’d love to see some of the media morons on Twitter call for the lawyers to name names. Which players?

That lawyer May be a trustworthy source.

u-g-PFFABM0.jpg

I suspect players wouldn't know about all cases being handled by a doctor, however the term "pressured" seems entirely subjective and would suggest to me that the doctor caved to the coach's request, which seems to me to imply the doctor did not stand their ground. Note if Franklin OVERRODE the medical opinion of the doctor THAT would be an issue.

this is a nothing burger now. it won't generate clicks with the doctors lawyer giving statements. and JFF can just point to all the testemonials from all the players versus the word of one doctor looking for a quick payout.
...not to mention that some of the player perspective is provided by those who were clearly impacted by injury, such as but not limited to Adam Breneman.

Reactions: BBrown
The doctor only complained AFTER he was canned. The HFC is the CEO of his program and has every right to choose those who work in and around it. The doctor and his legal prostitutes got blown out of the water by the support CJF received from those who DO know how he treated them during their injuries. I ask precisely HOW did CJF "pressure" Dr. Lynch? What sort of "pressure" would make a physician clear an athlete before he is healed? Cabinda said it best.....its all bullshit.

"...
The players and parents who defended Franklin were not being paid to do so. How about the doctor's lawyers? That's part of the story we all understand.

Is he a Judas appointee? Can Tsar Ira the Terrible be far behind?

Who Knows.... I guess his treatment of Nana and Minor are typical of what all other coaches do. All I can say is the doctor and his lawyers babbling in the press sounds like an attempt at jury or (pussy BOT) rigging to me.

As each day passes, my contempt for the American Injustice welfare system for those with Law degrees grows exponentially, similar to that of those that make the laws.

Once again where is the leadership supporting the coach? No Barron. No Barber. What does that tell you?
A. Cowards
B. Do not support CJF
C. There is substance to accusations
D. Stupid
I'll take A &D

Reactions: Hotshoe
Lawyers and the media are very similar in that they always fall back on the "We were only doing out jobs" mantra whether right or wrong. And so, so often they're on the wrong side of things. Two professions in which there is next to no ethical or moral accountability. They make me sick.

Lawyers and the media are very similar in that they always fall back on the "We were only doing out jobs" mantra whether right or wrong. And so, so often they're on the wrong side of things. The only professions I know of where there is next to no accountability.
After the player and parent support for Franklin, I hope Lynch likes the taste of his own foot.

Reactions: Dave1649
The doctor only complained AFTER he was canned. The HFC is the CEO of his program and has every right to choose those who work in and around it. The doctor and his legal prostitutes got blown out of the water by the support CJF received from those who DO know how he treated them during their injuries. I ask precisely HOW did CJF "pressure" Dr. Lynch? What sort of "pressure" would make a physician clear an athlete before he is healed? Cabinda said it best.....its all bullshit.

Seriously, if the Dr had any character he would not have cleared people he shouldn't have because the coach was asking player readiness questions.... then he felt pressure and abandoned his duty. In such a case the spineless Dr should be fired and the players involved sue him. Coaches don't clear Players Drs have the authority.... Having the balls to stand your ground and execute your job requirements are a genuine part of professionalism.

Last edited:
This stuff isn’t making a blip on the national scene...it’s a non-story.

Once again where is the leadership supporting the coach? No Barron. No Barber. What does that tell you?
A. Cowards
B. Do not support CJF
C. There is substance to accusations
D. Stupid

In all fairness, the university and Barbour are also named in the lawsuit. The doctor is suing Penn State, Sandy, and Franklin.

WHISTLEBLOWER. :eek:

Auto-felatio ..... that kind of whistle blower?

Then it should be considered in small claims court.

Last edited:
"Dr. Lynch and his medical personnel under Dr. Lynch’s command..."

Interesting choice of words.

CEO is a bad analogy. The HFC does not have bottom-line (financial) responsibility for the football program.

Putting definitions aside, HFCs generally do not have final decision on team physicians anywhere (O'Brien discovered that too late). That's not to say that they don't have input to greater or lesser degrees. It's important that the team physician is someone the HFCs can trust and work with. That's where I think the problem here lies.

Reactions: flash86

From what I read the doc did complain to Sandy and 3 others (IIRC) before being let go. I think it’s just one of those things that likely is very subjective (feeling pressured) and no real decision can be made until the accusation is heard in full context.

That said, he was let go in February/ March and didn’t file his lawsuit until August- in week 1 of the season for the most publicity. That raises some questions in my mind over motivations.

The players may not know everything but they certainly know much more than anyone else speaking on the subject so their comments do carry significant weight. It would be odd IMO for a coach to pressure a doc to clear players but not pressure the players to help make the doc clear them.

As for pressure, orthopedic surgeons are generally not wallflowers who are easily intimidated. They are very capable of holding their own and putting anyone who tries to interfere with their medical judgement in their place.

Last edited:
"Dr. Lynch and his medical personnel under Dr. Lynch’s command..."

Interesting choice of words.

CEO is a bad analogy. The HFC does not have bottom-line (financial) responsibility for the football program.

Putting definitions aside, HFCs generally do not have final decision on team physicians anywhere (O'Brien discovered that too late). That's not to say that they don't have input to greater or lesser degrees. It's important that the team physician is someone the HFCs can trust and work with. That's where I think the problem here lies.
HFC may not have bottom line responsibility (financial) however, if the program isn't making money......he's history. I should have said COO.

Last edited:
From what I read the doc did complain to Sandy and 3 others (IIRC) before being let go. I think it’s just one of those things that likely is very subjective (feeling pressured) and no real decision can be made until the accusation is heard in full context.

That said, he was let go in February/ March and didn’t file his lawsuit until August- in week 1 of the season for the most publicity. That raises some questions in my mind over motivations.

The players may not know everything but they certainly know much more than anyone else so their comments do carry significant weight. It would be odd IMO for a coach to pressure a doc to clear players but not pressure the players to help make the doc clear them.

As for pressure, orthopedic surgeons are generally not wallflowers who are easily intimidated. They are very capable of holding their own and putting anyone who tries to interfere with their medical judgement in their place.
If a player is not healthy, I fail to see why a coach would want him on the field. Injured players are not capable of performing at an elite level. The Dr. makes it sound like coach wanted guys on crutches gimping around the field. The only issue could be if Franklin saw "injured" players running, doing agility drills and lifting up to their healthy times and standards and Lynch was not clearing them.

Last edited:
HFC may not have bottom line responsibility (financial) however, if the program isn't making money......he's history.

Depends. If a football program loses money because it loses lots of games, the coach is gone. But that's because he loses games, not because of decisions regarding ticket pricing, media contracts, etc over which the coach has absolutely no involvement. Again, CEO is a bad analogy.

Reactions: step.eng69
If a player is not healthy, I fail to see why a coach would want him on the field. Injured players are not capable of performing at an elite level. The Dr. makes it sound like coach wanted guys on crutches gimping around the field. The only issue could be if Franklin saw "injured" players running, doing ability drills and lifting up to their healthy times and standards and Lynch was not clearing them.

True. These accusations are pretty much the equivalent of a ‘he said, she said’ situation. No one will really know who was in the wrong until the specific accusation is presented in full context.

I have a suspicion that much of this may be interpreting questions about injuries as challenges and maybe a personality clash between the 2 as well.

True. These accusations are pretty much the equivalent of a ‘he said, she said’ situation. No one will really know who was in the wrong until the specific accusation is presented in full context.

I have a suspicion that much of this may be interpreting questions about injuries as challenges and maybe some personality clash as well.

Not in anyway comparing my experience with what happens at the D1 level.....but here is an experience I had as a HS coach.... My starting QB sustained a rib injury and the team/school doctor sent him for xrays. The doctor called me the next day and said the boy had fractured ribs and was out for the remainder of the season. I was without my QB and the QB a senior, was in tears and broken hearted. I had no reason to doubt the diagnosis. Fast forward to halftime of the next game....as I returned to the field with the team, I saw my injured QB throwing 40 yard passes to the team managers. Now as a player, I had bruised ribs.....you don't run around throwing the ball like that, you don't even want to take a deep breath. I advised the parents to take their son to the best orthopedic physician in the area. Guess what? The QB did not have cracked ribs. If I had not intervened, he would have missed the rest of his senior year. The team/school doctor cleared the young man to play, based on the specialists call. Did I pressure the team/school doctor?Damn right I did.

Not in anyway comparing my experience with what happens at the D1 level.....but here is an experience I had as a HS coach.... My starting QB sustained a rib injury and the team/school doctor sent him for xrays. The doctor called me the next day and said the boy had fractured ribs and was out for the remainder of the season. I was without my QB and the QB a senior, was in tears and broken hearted. I had no reason to doubt the diagnosis. Fast forward to halftime of the next game....as I returned to the field with the team, I saw my injured QB throwing 40 yard passes to the team managers. Now as a player, I had bruised ribs.....you don't run around throwing the ball like that, you don't even want to take a deep breath. I advised the parents to take their son to the best orthopedic physician in the area. Guess what? The QB did not have cracked ribs. If I had not intervened, he would have missed the rest of his senior year. The team/school doctor cleared the young man to play, based on the specialists call. Did I pressure the team/school doctor?Damn right I did.

This is a big variable in the discussion- definitions and what different people think ‘pressure’ is.

I don’t consider what you did as pressure. You had a new data point that questioned the original diagnosis so you sent the player for a second opinion. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. No doc worth his salt would object to a second opinion. Medicine is often an ‘art’ as much as an exact science.

Don’t know the details of your situation but, (as a side note), there is a difference in getting a chest X-ray at those walk in clinics, (where you may or may not see a doctor), compared to a dedicated rib X-ray series read by a radiologist. Many variables involved, especially in high school sports. ;)

This is a big variable in the discussion- definitions and what different people think ‘pressure’ is.

I don’t consider what you did as pressure. You had a new data point that questioned the original diagnosis so you sent the player for a second opinion. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. No doc worth his salt would object to a second opinion. Medicine is often an ‘art’ as much as an exact science.

Don’t know the details of your situation but, (as a side note), there is a difference in getting a chest X-ray at those walk in clinics compared to a dedicated rib X-ray series read by a radiologist. Many variables involved, especially in high school sports. ;)

My definition of pressure is threatening to fire the doctor unless he accedes to demands. Short of that, it's all air.

Don’t know the details of your situation but, (as a side note), there is a difference in getting a chest X-ray at those walk in clinics, (where you may or may not see a doctor), compared to a dedicated rib X-ray series read by a radiologist. Many variables involved, especially in high school sports. ;)
It strained my relationship with the school doctor for a few weeks.......his feeling were hurt. He was a really good guy who helped me a great deal. My first obligation was to the player, who deserved a chance to finish his senior year, if healthy.

Reactions: colt21 and psu00
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT