ADVERTISEMENT

Latest filing by Sandusky's attorney

Too funny, Sandusky's PCRA regarding Lack of SWIGJ Subject Matter JURISDICTION references your precise point in this statement:

There is no doubt that the OAG had powers to become involved under the "PA Commonwealth Attorneys Act" (http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/LI/US/PDF/1980/0/0164..PDF), especially as it relates to Sandusky abusing his victims via the TSM (and being the Founder and most powerful regulatory-listed "Control Person" at the charity) -- IOW, this Act has nothing to do with the SWIGJ Act, its provisions or the fact that the OAG already HAD THESE POWERS without the faulty and illegitimate SWIGJ Application! This Act speaks to the "powers of the OAG" in PA and has zippity-doo-dah-day to do with the clearly written and unequivocal SUBJECT MATTER JURISDICTION PROVISIONS of the "PA Investigating Grand Juries Act" and the applicable sections cited by Sandusky's PCRA which the OAG was COMPLETELY NON-RESPONSIVE to!:

Your "conflating" of two DIFFERENT PA Laws and the concepts of "General Powers" of one Act versus the very specifically enumerated "Subject Matter Jurisdiction" provisions of a wholly-separate Act is completely non-responsive to the point at hand and the one raised by this portion of Sandusky's PCRA - the SWIGJ's "SUBJECT MATTER JURISDICTION" which is ZERO in the instant case being discussed. Beyond all of those things, the OAG's authority to get involved WOULD NOT have removed V1's Case from the GOVERNING STATUTE it was filed under, investigated under and being prosecuted under when the OAG received the DPW's "Indicated Report" of CSA - CPSL (Pennsylvania Child Protective Services Law), nor would it give the OAG the power to violate the clear provisions of JUDICIAL JURISDICTION regarding V1's DPW-filed CSA Complaint also governed by CPSL which prescribed the JUDICIAL AND PROSECUTORIAL JURISDICTION to reside in the COUNTY COURT AND DA's OFFICE of the filing DPW County-Level Office, in this case CLINTON COUNTY COURT, not the court which the case was referred to by the illegitimate and contravening SWIGJ, which sent it to the PA Court of Common Pleas which has ZERO JURISDICTION under the governing statute of V1's DPW-filed CSA Complaint, CPSL - again, ZERO JURISDICTION under CPSL relative to both V1's DPW-filed CSA Complaint and the 1998 DPW-filed CSA Complaint which the OAG also illegitimately "re-opened" at variance with the governing statute, CPSL, in an illegitimate PA Court of Law due to LACK OF SUBJECT MATTER JURISDICTION!!! All of this stemming from the ILLEGITIMATE USE OF, AND IMPROPERLY PLEAD APPLICATION FOR, A SWIGJ under the "PA Investigating Grand Juries Act"!!!

Beyond all that, Corrupt Corbutt did not USE THE SWIGJ to investigate V1's DPW-filed Complaint as forwarded to him by DPW's "Indicated Report" of CSA and Request for Criminal Investigation and Prosecution......he used the SWIGJ to "bait, switch and target" PSU for political and "blame shifting" reasons -- PSU had NOTHING to do with V1 or his DPW-filed CSA Complaint - NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH IT. The Second Mile is prominently named by the DPW in their "Indicated Report" of CSA and Request for Criminal Prosecution and ALSO in Corrupt Corbett's seminal SWIGJ Application of 5/1/2009 (including references that Sandusky Founded the fraudulent charity, used it to access his victims and there were likely other victims, past & present, accessed via similar means.......and yet Corrupt Corbutt and his merry band of "Keystone Cop" investigators and prosecutors NEVER INVESTIGATED THE SECOND MILE OR WENT TO THE SECOND MILE IN SEARCH OF ADDITIONAL VICTIMS!!!! They sat on the investigation, buried it with bull$hit stunts like unnecessary SWIGJ Applications and then later our of nowhere some year and a half later start targeting PSU with all of their ILLEGITIMATE SWIGJ investigative resources WITHOUT EVER HAVING INVESTIGATED THE SECOND MILE AT ALL OR DETERMINED THEIR CULPABILITY IN THE MATTER despite not even needing a God D@mn SWIGJ to investigate when they got DPW's "Indicated Report" of CSA way back on 3/3/2009!!! And you don't find that the least bit odd, strange or abusive.....LMFAO!!!
Bushwood: I read through the above post twice, and mixed among the various acronyms, capital letters, and lengthy paragraphs, are some useful nuggets of information.

Boiling it all down, it appears to me that your basic points are: (1) the conviction of Sandusky is likely to be overturned because the investigative grand jury presentment against Sandusky will be quashed due to a lack of subject matter jurisdiction; and (2) double jeopardy precludes further prosecution of Sandusky because (using legal parlance) "jeopardy attached" at the point the DPW issued its "Indicated" finding back on 3/3/09. Am I summarizing your arguments correctly? No snark intended here. I want to make sure I understand your position clearly for future reference.

Reactions: colt21
Bushwood: I read through the above post twice, and mixed among the various acronyms, capital letters, and lengthy paragraphs, are some useful nuggets of information.

Boiling it all down, it appears to me that your basic points are: (1) the conviction of Sandusky is likely to be overturned because the investigative grand jury presentment against Sandusky will be quashed due to a lack of subject matter jurisdiction; and (2) double jeopardy precludes further prosecution of Sandusky because (using legal parlance) "jeopardy attached" at the point the DPW issued its "Indicated" finding back on 3/3/09. Am I summarizing your arguments correctly? No snark intended here. I want to make sure I understand your position clearly for future reference.

Umm, the SWIGJ referred the case to a court, the PA Court of Common Pleas, that has ZERO Subject Matter Jurisdiction under the applicable and governing statute, CPSL. CPSL clearly and unequivocally states that V1's DPW-filed CSA Complaint is to be prosecuted in Clinton Country regardless of whether the OAG is involved or not (and the OAG could have involved themselves on the grounds of TSM which is under the auspice of the AG - they didn't need a SWIGJ Application to get involved in regards to TSM, its Founder and most powerful regulatory-listed "control person"). The OAG's involvement and broad powers and authority across the state has NOTHING to do with the fact that the OAG caused this case to be investigated and prosecuted by a SWIGJ and Court that LACKED SUBJECT MATTER JURISDICTION in regards to the SEMINAL CASE - V1's DPW-filed CSA Complaint - which is UNQUESTIONABLLY governed by CPSL regardless of whether the OAG is involved or not. Under the Pennsylvania Constitution's Due Process Provisions, any ruling by a court that LACKS SUBJECT MATTER JURISDICTION under the governing statute is to be thrown out under appeal.

Too funny, Sandusky's PCRA regarding Lack of SWIGJ Subject Matter JURISDICTION references your precise point in this statement:

There is no doubt that the OAG had powers to become involved under the "PA Commonwealth Attorneys Act" (http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/LI/US/PDF/1980/0/0164..PDF), especially as it relates to Sandusky abusing his victims via the TSM (and being the Founder and most powerful regulatory-listed "Control Person" at the charity) -- IOW, this Act has nothing to do with the SWIGJ Act, its provisions or the fact that the OAG already HAD THESE POWERS without the faulty and illegitimate SWIGJ Application! This Act speaks to the "powers of the OAG" in PA and has zippity-doo-dah-day to do with the clearly written and unequivocal SUBJECT MATTER JURISDICTION PROVISIONS of the "PA Investigating Grand Juries Act" and the applicable sections cited by Sandusky's PCRA which the OAG was COMPLETELY NON-RESPONSIVE to!:

Your "conflating" of two DIFFERENT PA Laws and the concepts of "General Powers" of one Act versus the very specifically enumerated "Subject Matter Jurisdiction" provisions of a wholly-separate Act is completely non-responsive to the point at hand and the one raised by this portion of Sandusky's PCRA - the SWIGJ's "SUBJECT MATTER JURISDICTION" which is ZERO in the instant case being discussed. Beyond all of those things, the OAG's authority to get involved WOULD NOT have removed V1's Case from the GOVERNING STATUTE it was filed under, investigated under and being prosecuted under when the OAG received the DPW's "Indicated Report" of CSA - CPSL (Pennsylvania Child Protective Services Law), nor would it give the OAG the power to violate the clear provisions of JUDICIAL JURISDICTION regarding V1's DPW-filed CSA Complaint also governed by CPSL which prescribed the JUDICIAL AND PROSECUTORIAL JURISDICTION to reside in the COUNTY COURT AND DA's OFFICE of the filing DPW County-Level Office, in this case CLINTON COUNTY COURT, not the court which the case was referred to by the illegitimate and contravening SWIGJ, which sent it to the PA Court of Common Pleas which has ZERO JURISDICTION under the governing statute of V1's DPW-filed CSA Complaint, CPSL - again, ZERO JURISDICTION under CPSL relative to both V1's DPW-filed CSA Complaint and the 1998 DPW-filed CSA Complaint which the OAG also illegitimately "re-opened" at variance with the governing statute, CPSL, in an illegitimate PA Court of Law due to LACK OF SUBJECT MATTER JURISDICTION!!! All of this stemming from the ILLEGITIMATE USE OF, AND IMPROPERLY PLEAD APPLICATION FOR, A SWIGJ under the "PA Investigating Grand Juries Act"!!!

Beyond all that, Corrupt Corbutt did not USE THE SWIGJ to investigate V1's DPW-filed Complaint as forwarded to him by DPW's "Indicated Report" of CSA and Request for Criminal Investigation and Prosecution......he used the SWIGJ to "bait, switch and target" PSU for political and "blame shifting" reasons -- PSU had NOTHING to do with V1 or his DPW-filed CSA Complaint - NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH IT. The Second Mile is prominently named by the DPW in their "Indicated Report" of CSA and Request for Criminal Prosecution and ALSO in Corrupt Corbett's seminal SWIGJ Application of 5/1/2009 (including references that Sandusky Founded the charity for fraudulent purposes to use it to access his victims and that there were likely other victims, past & present, accessed or being accessed via similar means...) and yet Corrupt Corbutt and his merry band of "Keystone Cop" investigators and prosecutors NEVER INVESTIGATED THE SECOND MILE OR WENT TO THE SECOND MILE IN SEARCH OF ADDITIONAL VICTIMS!!!! They sat on the investigation, buried it with bull$hit stunts like unnecessary SWIGJ Applications and then later out of nowhere some year and a half later, AFTER Corrupt Corbutt had won the Gubernatorial Election, started targeting PSU with all of their ILLEGITIMATE SWIGJ investigative resources WITHOUT EVER HAVING INVESTIGATED THE SECOND MILE AT ALL OR DETERMINED THEIR CULPABILITY IN THE MATTER despite not even needing a God D@mn SWIGJ to investigate when they got DPW's "Indicated Report" of CSA way back on 3/3/2009!!! And you don't find that the least bit odd, strange or abusive.....LMFAO!!!
Bow to the master...Bear

Beyond all that, Corrupt Corbutt did not USE THE SWIGJ to investigate V1's DPW-filed Complaint as forwarded to him by DPW's "Indicated Report" of CSA and Request for Criminal Investigation and Prosecution......he used the SWIGJ to "bait, switch and target" PSU for political and "blame shifting" reasons -- PSU had NOTHING to do with V1 or his DPW-filed CSA Complaint - NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH IT. The Second Mile is prominently named by the DPW in their "Indicated Report" of CSA and Request for Criminal Prosecution and ALSO in Corrupt Corbett's seminal SWIGJ Application of 5/1/2009 (including references that Sandusky Founded the charity for fraudulent purposes to use it to access his victims and that there were likely other victims, past & present, accessed or being accessed via similar means...) and yet Corrupt Corbutt and his merry band of "Keystone Cop" investigators and prosecutors NEVER INVESTIGATED THE SECOND MILE OR WENT TO THE SECOND MILE IN SEARCH OF ADDITIONAL VICTIMS!!!! They sat on the investigation, buried it with bull$hit stunts like unnecessary SWIGJ Applications and then later out of nowhere some year and a half later, AFTER Corrupt Corbutt had won the Gubernatorial Election, started targeting PSU with all of their ILLEGITIMATE SWIGJ investigative resources WITHOUT EVER HAVING INVESTIGATED THE SECOND MILE AT ALL OR DETERMINED THEIR CULPABILITY IN THE MATTER despite not even needing a God D@mn SWIGJ to investigate when they got DPW's "Indicated Report" of CSA way back on 3/3/2009!!! And you don't find that the least bit odd, strange or abusive.....LMFAO!!!

Dem, you gotta put FRTT on your payroll. Heck, I think he'd advise you for free. Keep up the great work though Dem, we need you big time!

Hasn't Blehar argued that additional victims were held back by the OAG. And these victims could be presented in a new trial. Almost seems the OAG had thought this might happen. Perhaps Ray can weigh in.

Umm, the SWIGJ referred the case to a court, the PA Court of Common Pleas, that has ZERO Subject Matter Jurisdiction under the applicable and governing statute, CPSL. CPSL clearly and unequivocally states that V1's DPW-filed CSA Complaint is to be prosecuted in Clinton Country regardless of whether the OAG is involved or not (and the OAG could have involved themselves on the grounds of TSM which is under the auspice of the AG - they didn't need a SWIGJ Application to get involved in regards to TSM, its Founder and most powerful regulatory-listed "control person"). The OAG's involvement and broad powers and authority across the state has NOTHING to do with the fact that the OAG caused this case to be investigated and prosecuted by a SWIGJ and Court that LACKED SUBJECT MATTER JURISDICTION in regards to the SEMINAL CASE - V1's DPW-filed CSA Complaint - which is UNQUESTIONABLLY governed by CPSL regardless of whether the OAG is involved or not. Under the Pennsylvania Constitution's Due Process Provisions, any ruling by a court that LACKS SUBJECT MATTER JURISDICTION under the governing statute is to be thrown out under appeal.

How does a CPSL proceeding preclude a criminal proceeding for the same acts? CPSL is an administrative proceeding while criminal charges are in the judiciary. The Court of Common Pleas has subject matter jurisdiction to adjudicate criminal charges. Please explain.

I just read the filing. Lindsay could use an editor and a proof reader. Ugh.

"However, it is beyond cavil that the history of investigating grand jury's and intent of the Investigating Grand Jury Act was ..."

"Instantly, only be re-writing and ignoring the unequivocal language of the Investigating Grand Jury Act to justify upholding ..."

There are more.

How does a CPSL proceeding preclude a criminal proceeding for the same acts? CPSL is an administrative proceeding while criminal charges are in the judiciary. The Court of Common Pleas has subject matter jurisdiction to adjudicate criminal charges. Please explain.
Dude, we had an entire thread on this.

Well I didn't see it then. Please cut to the end and tell me what the conclusion was.
Sorry. Didn't mean to give you a hard time. Bushwood's premise was that the DPW (not sure what that stands for), but I believe it is a Pennsylvania state agency charged with investigating allegations of child/sexual abuse, had investigated the Sandusky matter and issued an "Indicated" ruling, which apparently means that enforcement action/criminial charges should be pursued. There was some debate as to whether double jeopardy could apply with respect to the rulings or actions of an investigatory agency (as opposed to the rulings and actions of a court), but Bushwood cited some statutes which, he believed, give the DPW a form of "judicial authority" sufficient for jeopardy to attach. I have no idea whether that is the case, but if you go back a page or two, you can find the thread and read his argument in full. I wanted to answer your question, but do not really want to speak for him.

I don't think Professor Bushwood is an attorney. Believe he is a member of the financial services industry. Could be wrong about that.
He's got the "wordy" part of lawyering down pat, but beyond that, he's just a "genius" sitting behind his keyboard in the comfort of his (mother's?) basement.

I haven't put him on ignore because I find the first two sentences of his diatribes semi-interesting.

Sorry. Didn't mean to give you a hard time. Bushwood's premise was that the DPW (not sure what that stands for), but I believe it is a Pennsylvania state agency charged with investigating allegations of child/sexual abuse, had investigated the Sandusky matter and issued an "Indicated" ruling, which apparently means that enforcement action/criminial charges should be pursued. There was some debate as to whether double jeopardy could apply with respect to the rulings or actions of an investigatory agency (as opposed to the rulings and actions of a court), but Bushwood cited some statutes which, he believed, give the DPW a form of "judicial authority" sufficient for jeopardy to attach. I have no idea whether that is the case, but if you go back a page or two, you can find the thread and read his argument in full. I wanted to answer your question, but do not really want to speak for him.

You were referring to this thread; I misunderstood. I've seen his position and, IMO, as the Brits would say; it's rubbish.

No it isn'tt, "CPSL" is a Pennsylvania Law - a Statute, and prescribes a Jurisdiction for the prosecution of a criminal complaint if the filing "Administrative Judicial Authority" investigates and marks their investigation as an "Indicated Report" rather than an "Unfounded Report". The Judicial Jurisdiction named by CPSL is the Law Enforcement Entity and Judicial Entity of the DPW County-Level CYS Office that files the DPW "INDICATED REPORT" of CSA and request for criminal prosecution. That would be the Clinton County District Court, not the PA Court of Common Pleas in Dauphin County (it was referred there after the "Centre County Court of Common Pleas" recused itself - V1 was a CLINTON COUNTY RESIDENT and FILED his DPW CSA Complaint with DPW's Clinton County CYS Office - CPSL prescribes Clinton County District Court, not Centre County anything! CPSL goes by the filing DPW CYS Office, not the Headquarters of the "Safe Hold Care" charity!!).

He's got the "wordy" part of lawyering down pat, but beyond that, he's just a "genius" sitting behind his keyboard in the comfort of his (mother's?) basement.

I haven't put him on ignore because I find the first two sentences of his diatribes semi-interesting.
He's almost in top shelf BODE, Bushwood CC form these days and headed for double secret probation. If his former evil nemesis (banned not long after Bushy) makes it back on board, he'll provide the impetus to send him hurtling off the precipice.

He's is almost in top shelf BODE, Bushwood CC form these days and headed for double secret probation. If his former evil nemesis (banned not long after Bushy) makes it back on board, he'll provide the impetus to send him hurtling off the precipice.
Do you, or anyone else, know what he was before "Beast of the East"? I'm guessing there had to be another moniker.

He at least used to expend the effort to go research statistics to support his diatribes, but he (in his 4th life) has seeming,y become too lazy to do that.

He just likes to type. Poor keyboard.

Reactions: Ski
Do you, or anyone else, know what he was before "Beast of the East"? I'm guessing there had to be another moniker.

He at least used to expend the effort to go research statistics to support his diatribes, but he (in his 4th life) has seeming,y become too lazy to do that.

He just likes to type. Poor keyboard.

I think it was "Get Real" or something along those lines.

La Jolla Lion at one point had a good list of his monikers.

People still hoping this monster gets out of jail??

There are people who are trying to actively hide The Second Mile cover-up by Corrupt Corbutt and his corrupt administrations - shielding a fraudulent charity, whose fraudulence was acting as a hunting grounds for the sexual abuse of child participants - and the malicious prosecution of PSU via severe prosecutorial miscoduct including the direct assistance of state-actor co-conspirators on the PSU Board, which Corrupt Corbutt had hijacked after becoming Governor and assuming his Board seat (first Governor in over 100 years to do so)???

Last edited:
I think it was "Get Real" or something along those lines.

La Jolla Lion at one point had a good list of his monikers.

BeastofDaEast, BODE, Bushwood, GetReal. I expect a FULL BLOWN meltdown post screaming at me, but I stopped reading his run on rants a long time ago. I just poke the bear and laugh from time to time.:D

It was "Get Real"
Yep. Indeed.
BeastofDaEast, BODE, Bushwood, GetReal. I expect a FULL BLOWN meltdown post screaming at me, but I stopped reading his run on rants a long time ago. I just poke the bear and laugh from time to time.:D
Sure is a lot of argle-bargle mixed in with some valuable info. Takes time to get to the good stuff. Like manually extracting veins of gold from a slab of marble. I do read each and every word though. Can't resist. Damn funny stuff sometimes and a style all his own.

Reactions: ThePennsyOracle
It's criminal law in a state in which I am not licensed. I have no idea, but it would seem to me that this is a pretty fundamental and basic thing to be only arising now, after appeal. The road to my own personal hell is littered with anecdotes about my thinking I knew what a court would do. In fact, the more obvious it seems, my experience is the more likely it has no merit.

Usually when I find myself saying "I don't understand how the other side could argue against this," it turns out to be literally true: I did not understand the argument in the first place. :)

Dem, I agree it seems late in the game to be raising this issue. It might be more appropriately argued as something Amendola should have brought up. And a previous Commonwealth argument against Curley and Schultz's motion to quash the presentment may apply. See my notes below GTACSA's quote, which brings up similar points. I'm interested in your thoughts.

In Pennsylvania if an Investigating Grand Jury believes that the evidence presented to it warrants the filing of criminal charges against an individual, a presentment will be issued. The presentment itself does not constitute the filing of charges. Criminal proceedings are instituted by written complaint or arrest under the Rules of Criminal Procedure..

I don't know how the charges against Sandusky were filed but the presentment was not it.

Sandusky seeks to have the presentment quashed, What does that accomplish? Assuming he made such a Motion at the time of the presentment in 2011, what would have prevented the charges from still being filed under the Rules of Criminal Procedure? If the answer is nothing then what's the point at this stage if the quashing doesn't invalidate the criminal charges as filed.

There is also a waiver issue and not to subject matter jurisdiction which can't be waived. If the presentment was the result of an improperly convened IGJ, which would be fatal to the filing of criminal charges, wasn't Sandusky at the time of the filing of the criminal charges required to raise the issue? There is no question that the Court of Common Pleas in Centre County had subject matter jurisdiction over the criminal charges.

Now is there an argument to be made that if the IGJ had no authority in this case then any criminal proceedings filed as a result of that defect are null and void similar to the fruit of the poison tree rationale? I don't know what the ivory tower answer is but I'd be very surprised if a court were to buy that argument since the defendant was not prejudiced by it in the legal sense. He had all due process rights preserved for the criminal trial.

I've been surprised before by judicial rulings but I'm skeptical that this argument is going anywhere.

Regarding Sandusky's brief on subject matter jurisdiction, there is one interesting difference between this 6/8/2016 reply brief and the initial 5/19/2016 brief on subject matter jurisdiction. The suggested remedy in the initial brief was a dismissal of charges. The suggested remedy in the reply brief was a quashal of the grand jury presentment - it says nothing of dismissing the charges.

-----
5/19/2016 - Sandusky brief on subject matter jurisdiction
http://co.centre.pa.us/centreco/media/upload/SANDUSKY BRIEF RE SUBJECT MATTER JURISDICTION CLAIM.pdf

6/8/2016 - Sandusky reply brief on subject matter jurisdiction
http://co.centre.pa.us/centreco/media/upload/SANDUSKY REPLY BRIEF SUBJECT MATTER JURISDICTION ISSUE.pdf

-----
There is potentially relevant case law regarding quashal of presentments. It seems a presentment would need to be quashed prior to a preliminary hearing where charges are bound over for trial. Curley & Schultz attempted to quash the same presentment Sandusky is attempting to quash. James Barker of the OAG wrote the commonwealth's opinion against their motion to quash. I was unable to find the court's order to that motion - many of the filings in that timeframe (2014) remain under seal. Regardless, it's safe to say the presentment was not quashed in those cases. Here's a link to the OAG's response, with relevant quote from p.3 below it:
http://www.dauphincounty.org/government/Court-Departments/Curley-Schultz-Spanier/Documents/February 18, 2014 - Commonwealth's Memorandum of Law Supporting Its Findings of Fact and Conclusions of Law.pdf

ANY ISSUE RELATING TO THE PRESENTMENTS RETURNED BY THE STATEWIDE INVESTIGATING GRAND JURY IS MOOT

The defendants argue that the Presentments returned by the Thirty-Third Statewide Investigating Grand Jury should be quashed and the charges against them dismissed. However, based on the fact that all of the charges have been held for court after preliminary hearings, any such argument is moot. In Commonwealth v. Chamberlain, 612 Pa. 107, 178, 30 A.3d 381, 423 (2011), our Supreme Court held that, because Commonwealth established a prima facie case at the preliminary hearing, a challenge to the affidavit of probable cause supporting a criminal complaint was rendered moot.

Last edited:
Reactions: WeR0206
It's criminal law in a state in which I am not licensed. I have no idea, but it would seem to me that this is a pretty fundamental and basic thing to be only arising now, after appeal. The road to my own personal hell is littered with anecdotes about my thinking I knew what a court would do. In fact, the more obvious it seems, my experience is the more likely it has no merit.

Usually when I find myself saying "I don't understand how the other side could argue against this," it turns out to be literally true: I did not understand the argument in the first place. :)

Dem, my first reply to your post is quoted below for convenience. This particular subject of jurisdiction is just one element of Sandusky's PCRA petition. I've added my notes below on all the elements that provide eligibility for relief under the PCRA law. I'd like to get your thoughts.

Dem, I agree it seems late in the game to be raising this issue. It might be more appropriately argued as something Amendola should have brought up. And a previous Commonwealth argument against Curley and Schultz's motion to quash the presentment may apply. See my notes below GTACSA's quote, which brings up similar points. I'm interested in your thoughts.

Regarding Sandusky's brief on subject matter jurisdiction, there is one interesting difference between this 6/8/2016 reply brief and the initial 5/19/2016 brief on subject matter jurisdiction. The suggested remedy in the initial brief was a dismissal of charges. The suggested remedy in the reply brief was a quashal of the grand jury presentment - it says nothing of dismissing the charges.

-----
5/19/2016 - Sandusky brief on subject matter jurisdiction
http://co.centre.pa.us/centreco/media/upload/SANDUSKY BRIEF RE SUBJECT MATTER JURISDICTION CLAIM.pdf

6/8/2016 - Sandusky reply brief on subject matter jurisdiction
http://co.centre.pa.us/centreco/media/upload/SANDUSKY REPLY BRIEF SUBJECT MATTER JURISDICTION ISSUE.pdf

-----
There is potentially relevant case law regarding quashal of presentments. It seems a presentment would need to be quashed prior to a preliminary hearing where charges are bound over for trial. Curley & Schultz attempted to quash the same presentment Sandusky is attempting to quash. James Barker of the OAG wrote the commonwealth's opinion against their motion to quash. I was unable to find the court's order to that motion - many of the filings in that timeframe (2014) remain under seal. Regardless, it's safe to say the presentment was not quashed in those cases. Here's a link to the OAG's response, with relevant quote from p.3 below it:
http://www.dauphincounty.org/government/Court-Departments/Curley-Schultz-Spanier/Documents/February 18, 2014 - Commonwealth's Memorandum of Law Supporting Its Findings of Fact and Conclusions of Law.pdf

ANY ISSUE RELATING TO THE PRESENTMENTS RETURNED BY THE STATEWIDE INVESTIGATING GRAND JURY IS MOOT

The defendants argue that the Presentments returned by the Thirty-Third Statewide Investigating Grand Jury should be quashed and the charges against them dismissed. However, based on the fact that all of the charges have been held for court after preliminary hearings, any such argument is moot. In Commonwealth v. Chamberlain, 612 Pa. 107, 178, 30 A.3d 381, 423 (2011), our Supreme Court held that, because Commonwealth established a prima facie case at the preliminary hearing, a challenge to the affidavit of probable cause supporting a criminal complaint was rendered moot.

PCRA notes

-----
The article linked below highlights that the key issue that needs to be addressed in a PCRA petition is whether the 'truth determining process' was affected. From that article: "The courts have stated that the issue must go directly to the truth-determining process. (Commonwealth v. Bennett, 2007)." Below is the text of the section of PCRA law that outlines eligibility for relief.

Here is a summary of things that may cause a PCRA petition to be granted, Eligibility for Relief, from Title 42, §9543 (a) (2):
(i) A violation of the Constitution of this Commonwealth or the Constitution or laws of the United States which, in the circumstances of the particular case, so undermined the truth-determining process that no reliable adjudication of guilt or innocence could have taken place.
(ii) Ineffective assistance of counsel which, in the circumstances of the particular case, so undermined the truth-determining process that no reliable adjudication of guilt or innocence could have taken place.
(iii) A plea of guilty unlawfully induced where the circumstances make it likely that the inducement caused the petitioner to plead guilty and the petitioner is innocent.
(iv) The improper obstruction by government officials of the petitioner's right of appeal where a meritorious appealable issue existed and was properly preserved in the trial court.
(v) (Deleted by amendment).
(vi) The unavailability at the time of trial of exculpatory evidence that has subsequently become available and would have changed the outcome of the trial if it had been introduced.
(vii) The imposition of a sentence greater than the lawful maximum.
(viii) A proceeding in a tribunal without jurisdiction
.​

The majority of the arguments in Sandusky's PCRA petition are related to items (i) and (ii). However, each of those items require that the issues complained of also affected the process such that no reliable adjudication of or determination of truth could have taken place. IMO, Sandusky's PCRA petition does not offer sufficient arguments to counter that requirement.

Item (iii) does not apply.

Item (iv) does not seem to apply and I don't believe the PCRA petition argues that point. Sandusky filed a post-sentence appeal which Cleland denied in an opinion and order. Sandusky then appealed to the PA Superior Court which was denied in an opinion and order. He then appealed to the PA Supreme Court which denied it in a one sentence order. Sandusky then filed his PCRA petition one year (as required, so it was timely) from the Supreme Court denial, on 4/2/2015.

Item (vi) regarding new evidence might apply. The PCRA petition offered up evidence that wasn't presented at trial regarding Victims 2 and 8. That does not mean that evidence wasn't available to Sandusky's counsel at trial (so this issue may simply revert back to item (ii), ineffective assistance of counsel). The PCRA petition also outlines potential financial motives of all of the victims and seeks discovery of the agreements with their civil attorneys. One potential issue is that this is not a really a new issue. Amendola asked each victim whether they had civil attorneys, if they signed agreements with them, and if they had paid them yet, and if they knew what the agreements said. Most but not all victims had civil attorneys, none of those had paid them yet, and none really knew what was in the agreements they signed. But the point is, the jury was fully aware of all this. Once the prosecution and defense rested, Cleland gave the jury instructions which included how to assess the credibility of witnesses and that they need to consider all the facts and issues including other potential motivations. A final note here - item 6 requires new evidence that would have affected the outcome of the trial. I do not know if "affected the outcome of the trial" applies to each individual conviction or whether the ultimate sentence must be affected. Both can be considered "outcomes of the trial". The point is Sandusky was convicted on 48 charges, but is serving time on just 4 charges (the remaining charges are being served concurrently).

Item (vii) does not apply. The sentence for each charge was in accordance with the law. In addition, Sandusky is only serving time (30 - 60 years) on 4 charges of IDSI against Victims 1, 4, 9, and 10. The remaining charges are being served concurrently. If he were serving time on all of the charges, it would have been 80 years 7 months to 161 years 2 months.

Finally, item (viii) can offer relief if "the court proceeding took place in a tribunal which did not have jurisdiction". The only court proceeding that Sandusky's PCRA petition argues against is the subject matter jurisdiction of the grand jury investigation. But it's worth pointing out that the grand jury did not determine guilt or innocence. The Centre County court did have the proper jurisdiction to determine Snadusky's guilt/innocence, since the majority of his crimes were committed in Centre County.

-----
Pennsylvania’s Post Conviction Relief Act (PCRA)
12/16/2011
http://www.mcdonalddefense.com/2011/12/16/pennsylvanias-post-conviction-relief-act-pcra/

The PCRA is an indirect method of appeal in criminal cases. A direct appeal is when a criminal case is appealed from the Court of Common Pleas, where the accused lost the case, and wants to challenge some aspect of it. For more on direct appeals, read my post here. An indirect appeal in a PCRA allows the person to have the case reconsidered when a direct appeal to the Superior Court has been denied.

The PCRA must be filed within one year of the denial of the final direct appeal, or after the conviction if the defendant chooses not to use direct appeals. The one year rule does have some exceptions. The basic exceptions include: where counsel effectively abandons the defendant in the PCRA process, where the petition is an extension of a previously filed petition that was within the one year limit, where the government blocked the petition in some manner, where the new evidence could not have been known within the one year limit, and finally, where the court has determined that constitutional rights are such that the extension must be given.

PCRA is limited on its grounds for appeal. The full text of the act can be read here, but I will summarize it briefly. Under 42 Pa.C.S.A. § 9541 et seq, you may only begin the process for the PCRA if your conviction or sentence resulted from:

• A violation of the Constitution of Pennsylvania or of the United states, or of the laws of the United States, and the violation occurred under circumstances which so undermined the process that no reliable adjudication of truth could have taken place
  • There was ineffective assistance of counsel such that no reliable determination of truth could have taken place
  • A plea of guilty was gotten under circumstances which make it likely that the defendant was induced to falsely make the statement and the defendant is innocent
  • Government officials wrongly obstructed the defendant’s right to appeal where an issue for appeal was present and capable of being appealed
  • New evidence has come to light which would have changed the outcome of the trial
  • A sentence was imposed which was greater than the lawful maximum
  • The court proceeding took place in a tribunal which did not have jurisdiction
Additionally, the statute requires that the allegation in the petition has not been previously litigated in court (it is a new issue) and it has not been waived by a failure to raise the issue (you didn’t bring it up and you were only permitted to bring it up at a certain point of the proceeding). The failure to litigate the issue cannot be the result of a rational or strategic move by the defendant’s attorney at trial.

You may notice the phrase “reliable adjudication of the truth” or “reliable determination of the truth.” These phrases are synonymous and mean that, because of what happened at trial, the facts or process was so distorted that no one could have discovered the truth. The courts have stated that the issue must go directly to the truth-determining process. (Commonwealth v. Bennett, 2007).

Another thing to mention is the process that a person must be given for the court to have properly reviewed the PCRA claim. Although the amount of due process required is less stringent than at trial, a defendant who petitions is still entitled to present his or her claims in a meaningful time and have them considered in a meaningful manner.

A petition for post-conviction relief must conform to certain processes and is subject to parameters defined by statute and the court. When you consider a PCRA, you also need to consider what attorney you will hire, and find one with the experience and the dedication to see the petition through. Failure to obtain the right counsel can result in the denial of your petition.

Call Shannon K. McDonald to discuss your potential PCRA petition today.

-----
Post Conviction Relief Act, PCRA
http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...M&ttl=42&div=0&chpt=95&mobile_choice=suppress

Title 42
Chapter 95. POST-TRIAL MATTERS
SUBCHAPTER B. POST CONVICTION RELIEF

§ 9543. Eligibility for relief.
(a) General rule.--To be eligible for relief under this subchapter, the petitioner must plead and prove by a preponderance of the evidence all of the following:

(1) That the petitioner has been convicted of a crime under the laws of this Commonwealth and is at the time relief is granted:
(i) currently serving a sentence of imprisonment, probation or parole for the crime;
(ii) awaiting execution of a sentence of death for the crime; or
(iii) serving a sentence which must expire before the person may commence serving the disputed sentence.
(2) That the conviction or sentence resulted from one or more of the following:
(i) A violation of the Constitution of this Commonwealth or the Constitution or laws of the United States which, in the circumstances of the particular case, so undermined the truth-determining process that no reliable adjudication of guilt or innocence could have taken place.
(ii) Ineffective assistance of counsel which, in the circumstances of the particular case, so undermined the truth-determining process that no reliable adjudication of guilt or innocence could have taken place.
(iii) A plea of guilty unlawfully induced where the circumstances make it likely that the inducement caused the petitioner to plead guilty and the petitioner is innocent.
(iv) The improper obstruction by government officials of the petitioner's right of appeal where a meritorious appealable issue existed and was properly preserved in the trial court.
(vi) The unavailability at the time of trial of exculpatory evidence that has subsequently become available and would have changed the outcome of the trial if it had been introduced.
(viii) A proceeding in a tribunal without jurisdiction.
(3) That the allegation of error has not been previously litigated or waived.
(4) That the failure to litigate the issue prior to or during trial, during unitary review or on direct appeal could not have been the result of any rational, strategic or tactical decision by counsel.

Dem, my first reply to your post is quoted below for convenience. This particular subject of jurisdiction is just one element of Sandusky's PCRA petition. I've added my notes below on all the elements that provide eligibility for relief under the PCRA law. I'd like to get your thoughts.

PCRA notes

-----
The article linked below highlights that the key issue that needs to be addressed in a PCRA petition is whether the 'truth determining process' was affected. From that article: "The courts have stated that the issue must go directly to the truth-determining process. (Commonwealth v. Bennett, 2007)." Below is the text of the section of PCRA law that outlines eligibility for relief.

Here is a summary of things that may cause a PCRA petition to be granted, Eligibility for Relief, from Title 42, §9543 (a) (2):
(viii) A proceeding in a tribunal without jurisdiction
.​

The majority of the arguments in Sandusky's PCRA petition are related to items (i) and (ii). However, each of those items require that the issues complained of also affected the process such that no reliable adjudication of or determination of truth could have taken place. IMO, Sandusky's PCRA petition does not offer sufficient arguments to counter that requirement.

Item (iii) does not apply.

Item (iv) does not seem to apply and I don't believe the PCRA petition argues that point. Sandusky filed a post-sentence appeal which Cleland denied in an opinion and order. Sandusky then appealed to the PA Superior Court which was denied in an opinion and order. He then appealed to the PA Supreme Court which denied it in a one sentence order. Sandusky then filed his PCRA petition one year (as required, so it was timely) from the Supreme Court denial, on 4/2/2015.

Item (vi) regarding new evidence might apply. The PCRA petition offered up evidence that wasn't presented at trial regarding Victims 2 and 8. That does not mean that evidence wasn't available to Sandusky's counsel at trial (so this issue may simply revert back to item (ii), ineffective assistance of counsel). The PCRA petition also outlines potential financial motives of all of the victims and seeks discovery of the agreements with their civil attorneys. One potential issue is that this is not a really a new issue. Amendola asked each victim whether they had civil attorneys, if they signed agreements with them, and if they had paid them yet, and if they knew what the agreements said. Most but not all victims had civil attorneys, none of those had paid them yet, and none really knew what was in the agreements they signed. But the point is, the jury was fully aware of all this. Once the prosecution and defense rested, Cleland gave the jury instructions which included how to assess the credibility of witnesses and that they need to consider all the facts and issues including other potential motivations. A final note here - item 6 requires new evidence that would have affected the outcome of the trial. I do not know if "affected the outcome of the trial" applies to each individual conviction or whether the ultimate sentence must be affected. Both can be considered "outcomes of the trial". The point is Sandusky was convicted on 48 charges, but is serving time on just 4 charges (the remaining charges are being served concurrently).

Item (vii) does not apply. The sentence for each charge was in accordance with the law. In addition, Sandusky is only serving time (30 - 60 years) on 4 charges of IDSI against Victims 1, 4, 9, and 10. The remaining charges are being served concurrently. If he were serving time on all of the charges, it would have been 80 years 7 months to 161 years 2 months.

Finally, item (viii) can offer relief if "the court proceeding took place in a tribunal which did not have jurisdiction". The only court proceeding that Sandusky's PCRA petition argues against is the subject matter jurisdiction of the grand jury investigation. But it's worth pointing out that the grand jury did not determine guilt or innocence. The Centre County court did have the proper jurisdiction to determine Snadusky's guilt/innocence, since the majority of his crimes were committed in Centre County.

-----
Pennsylvania’s Post Conviction Relief Act (PCRA)
12/16/2011
http://www.mcdonalddefense.com/2011/12/16/pennsylvanias-post-conviction-relief-act-pcra/

The PCRA is an indirect method of appeal in criminal cases. A direct appeal is when a criminal case is appealed from the Court of Common Pleas, where the accused lost the case, and wants to challenge some aspect of it. For more on direct appeals, read my post here. An indirect appeal in a PCRA allows the person to have the case reconsidered when a direct appeal to the Superior Court has been denied.

The PCRA must be filed within one year of the denial of the final direct appeal, or after the conviction if the defendant chooses not to use direct appeals. The one year rule does have some exceptions. The basic exceptions include: where counsel effectively abandons the defendant in the PCRA process, where the petition is an extension of a previously filed petition that was within the one year limit, where the government blocked the petition in some manner, where the new evidence could not have been known within the one year limit, and finally, where the court has determined that constitutional rights are such that the extension must be given.

PCRA is limited on its grounds for appeal. The full text of the act can be read here, but I will summarize it briefly. Under 42 Pa.C.S.A. § 9541 et seq, you may only begin the process for the PCRA if your conviction or sentence resulted from:

• A violation of the Constitution of Pennsylvania or of the United states, or of the laws of the United States, and the violation occurred under circumstances which so undermined the process that no reliable adjudication of truth could have taken place
  • There was ineffective assistance of counsel such that no reliable determination of truth could have taken place
  • A plea of guilty was gotten under circumstances which make it likely that the defendant was induced to falsely make the statement and the defendant is innocent
  • Government officials wrongly obstructed the defendant’s right to appeal where an issue for appeal was present and capable of being appealed
  • New evidence has come to light which would have changed the outcome of the trial
  • A sentence was imposed which was greater than the lawful maximum
  • The court proceeding took place in a tribunal which did not have jurisdiction
Additionally, the statute requires that the allegation in the petition has not been previously litigated in court (it is a new issue) and it has not been waived by a failure to raise the issue (you didn’t bring it up and you were only permitted to bring it up at a certain point of the proceeding). The failure to litigate the issue cannot be the result of a rational or strategic move by the defendant’s attorney at trial.

You may notice the phrase “reliable adjudication of the truth” or “reliable determination of the truth.” These phrases are synonymous and mean that, because of what happened at trial, the facts or process was so distorted that no one could have discovered the truth. The courts have stated that the issue must go directly to the truth-determining process. (Commonwealth v. Bennett, 2007).

Another thing to mention is the process that a person must be given for the court to have properly reviewed the PCRA claim. Although the amount of due process required is less stringent than at trial, a defendant who petitions is still entitled to present his or her claims in a meaningful time and have them considered in a meaningful manner.

A petition for post-conviction relief must conform to certain processes and is subject to parameters defined by statute and the court. When you consider a PCRA, you also need to consider what attorney you will hire, and find one with the experience and the dedication to see the petition through. Failure to obtain the right counsel can result in the denial of your petition.

Call Shannon K. McDonald to discuss your potential PCRA petition today.

-----
Post Conviction Relief Act, PCRA
http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...M&ttl=42&div=0&chpt=95&mobile_choice=suppress

Title 42
Chapter 95. POST-TRIAL MATTERS
SUBCHAPTER B. POST CONVICTION RELIEF

§ 9543. Eligibility for relief.
(a) General rule.--To be eligible for relief under this subchapter, the petitioner must plead and prove by a preponderance of the evidence all of the following:

(1) That the petitioner has been convicted of a crime under the laws of this Commonwealth and is at the time relief is granted:
(i) currently serving a sentence of imprisonment, probation or parole for the crime;
(ii) awaiting execution of a sentence of death for the crime; or
(iii) serving a sentence which must expire before the person may commence serving the disputed sentence.
(2) That the conviction or sentence resulted from one or more of the following:
(viii) A proceeding in a tribunal without jurisdiction.
(3) That the allegation of error has not been previously litigated or waived.
(4) That the failure to litigate the issue prior to or during trial, during unitary review or on direct appeal could not have been the result of any rational, strategic or tactical decision by counsel.

Good analysis.

People still hoping this monster gets out of jail??
I do not hope that anyone, including Jerry Sandusky, gets out of jail. What I hope for, actually demand, is due process and fair trial. Seems Jerry Sandusky got neither. He got screwed by the then AG, Corbett and then Kelly; he got screwed by PA Courts; he got screwed by poor defense council; he got screwed by the jury. Is he innocent? I don't know. Have not heard all of the evidence.

Jimmy, I would like to pretend I am qualified to speak to that, but I am not. Criminal appellate work has comprised 0% of my practice to date.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Jimmy, I recall there being a mention about possibly having to retry one of either C/S/S or Jerry in the future...whichever went first. It was a discussion amongst OAG....can't recall if it's in the Moulton report or if it was a court discussion. Do you remember and have it handy?

Jimmy, I would like to pretend I am qualified to speak to that, but I am not. Criminal appellate work has comprised 0% of my practice to date.
Dem, question for you as it relates to your new assignment. I don't expect you'll be able to share in detail what you are finding initially, but will you be able to fill us in from time to time in general terms? Thanks.

I do not hope that anyone, including Jerry Sandusky, gets out of jail. What I hope for, actually demand, is due process and fair trial. Seems Jerry Sandusky got neither. He got screwed by the then AG, Corbett and then Kelly; he got screwed by PA Courts; he got screwed by poor defense council; he got screwed by the jury. Is he innocent? I don't know. Have not heard all of the evidence.

Yes, IOW that the Pennsylvania Constitution is upheld - Citizen Due Process Rights have been violated here. To support tyranny and hope that it is ignored is abhorrent and an affront to the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Reactions: francofan
Jimmy, I recall there being a mention about possibly having to retry one of either C/S/S or Jerry in the future...whichever went first. It was a discussion amongst OAG....can't recall if it's in the Moulton report or if it was a court discussion. Do you remember and have it handy?

That was a court discussion on 6/18/2012 after the jury was dismissed for the day. It starts at p.168 of the transcript. There's a link to that transcript on my links page (there's a link to that in my sig below)

Reactions: didier

The only ones that got screwed were the innocent children by Sandusky. Shed no tears for that animal. Waste no further resources on him. If he wants to cry 'unfair', he can plead his case before the Creator.

That was a court discussion on 6/18/2012 after the jury was dismissed for the day. It starts at p.168 of the transcript. There's a link to that transcript on my links page (there's a link to that in my sig below)

Thanks!

How did he get screwed? He was found guilty by a jury of his peers on 45 counts, there is nothing that happened to him that was a screwing. It amazes me people think he got screwed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT