ADVERTISEMENT

Last year Greg McElroy raised my blood pressure

Relayer

Jun 18, 2001
I won't go into details why, but most of you know. Just in the last week he is continuing the same trend. He stated the only thing Michigan has to do to win the the Big 10 is beat OSU, period.

Really? Oh, the only mention of PSU was how UM beat them by 39 last season. I hate this guy!

I won't go into details why, but most of you know. Just in the last week he is continuing the same trend. He stated the only thing Michigan has to do to win the the Big 10 is beat OSU, period.

Really? Oh, the only mention of PSU was how UM beat them by 39 last season. I hate this guy!

Most people under 30 don't see PSU as an alpha dog...but that will change soon enough. They were too young to remember or see PSU near or at the top of the mountain in most years.

Reactions: Howie'81

Not a fan of either of those guys on the "First Team", but it's the only thing worth listening to during the AM commute for me. One of them did say they were excited to hear what Neuheisel had to say about us later today. Sounds like Rick N IS actually visiting our camp today? I somehow missed that.

Last edited:
Not a fan of either of those guys on the "First Team", but it's the only thing worth listening to during the AM commute for me. One of them did say they was excited to hear what Neuheisel had to say about us later today. Sounds like Rick N IS actually visiting our camp today? I somehow missed that.

Those of you around town can probably catch him right now having breakfast at The Corner Room then. Long known to be his favorite spot in SC.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
I hear ya. I love music. I just got used to talk radio in the AM. I have a routine. First I find the traffic, then the news headlines, then sports talk radio. A lot of options on Sirius, so I tend to just flip around the channels. Nothing really grabs my attention.

Is McElroy the one with the girlfriend that had Musberger playing pup tent in the TV booth?

It's okay. I'd rather be underestimated...every.single.time

Not a fan of either of those guys on the "First Team", but it's the only thing worth listening to during the AM commute for me. One of them did say they was excited to hear what Neuheisel had to say about us later today. Sounds like Rick N IS actually visiting our camp today? I somehow missed that.

I really like Neiheisel on that show.... Sirius 84. Forget the name of the show, though (edit: Full Ride). But the other guy (edit: Chris Childers) is a horror show imo. To me, he is one of those "Seldom right, but never in doubt" guys who just sort of say whatever comes to mind, and without any depth of thought or any significant prep, and loves to interrupt a great point to state his nonsense. (Gorki on the Lions Den thread states that Childers is great, so to each their own. I'd guess the opinions would be split here on these boards).

Neuheisel is thoughtful, measured, gives great explanations for what he is thinking, and does not try to dominate the conversation.

They need to get rid of that horrible 1 second song segment they play every 37 seconds or so. It's like something a college kid would do as a DJ on the overnight college station gig.
And they need to stay off my lawn.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSUFBFAN

I'm not found of his brother Rory, either. :)

Hope you're having a great summer. Have you and Mrs Relayer been following the disturbing crime trend down in Provo TCI?

I really like Neiheisel on that show.... Sirius 84. Forget the name of the show, though (edit: Full Ride).

I listen that show whenever I get a chance, i.e., if I'm out at lunch. Childers never really moved the needle for me, but I guess you're right. IMO, at least it's fun to listen to college sports talk radio again.

Best thing about sports ... you get to prove yourself on the field or court. Let people talk argue debate all they want. The team just had to continue to work hard have fun and take care of details.

If only that were the case in the world of college football.... We saw how meaningless winning on the field was last year. Unfortunately media types like McElroy factor in to a team that makes the playoffs. The more stooge media touting you the better off you will be.

I love the media, I was the one that posted the Neiheisel was at the deli as a joke which eventually was picked up by USA Today and other publications and published as fact, and I have heard Rick talking about having to discuss the fact that he had not ever discussed backfilling Paterno with anyone at PSU and he went so far as to say back around 2010 that he had never even been to PSU.[/QUOTE]

Best thing about sports ... you get to prove yourself on the field or court. Let people talk argue debate all they want. The team just had to continue to work hard have fun and take care of details.

Except when one team passes the "eye" test and the other does not.

I really like Neiheisel on that show.... Sirius 84. Forget the name of the show, though (edit: Full Ride). But the other guy (edit: Chris Childers) is a horror show imo. To me, he is one of those "Seldom right, but never in doubt" guys who just sort of say whatever comes to mind, and without any depth of thought or any significant prep, and loves to interrupt a great point to state his nonsense. (Gorki on the Lions Den thread states that Childers is great, so to each their own. I'd guess the opinions would be split here on these boards).

Neuheisel is thoughtful, measured, gives great explanations for what he is thinking, and does not try to dominate the conversation.

They need to get rid of that horrible 1 second song segment they play every 37 seconds or so. It's like something a college kid would do as a DJ on the overnight college station gig.

Wow - I couldn't agree more with your thoughts. I really enjoy RN - he is very calm, rational, level-headed, and always has great personal stories to go along with the topic at hand. Although, I was annoyed at his PSU opinions last year. Immediately after the win over OSU, he was very complimentary towards PSU about the win. Then, as the season went on and it became apparent that PSU could possibly get into the CFP, he became very vocal and negative towards PSU and their "fluke" win over OSU and kept bringing up the UM loss.

He was very negative against PSU being chosen for the CFP all the way through the selection show. Then, after the Rose Bowl, he immediately jumped on the PSU bandwagon and stated that PSU definitely should have been in the CFP instead of OSU.

You are pretty much on target about Childers and I too can't stand that stupid brief song they play every 10 minutes. I don't even know what the song is or where it is from, but I get the sense it has to do with Childers voicing his opinion about the attractiveness of whichever woman happens to pop up in their current discussions. I've got no problem with guys and locker-room banter about good looking women, but out of respect to his wife and 3 year old daughter, he needs to knock that crap off when he is on national airways.

and stay off my lawn, too!

Reactions: Bob78
Just listened to the end of their daily live show (not the camp report) and Neuhiesel was really showing the love for Joe, Sue and all of Penn State. He visited Sue yesterday. Did not go into much detail. Mentioned how difficult it was to speak with Sue about the scandal and the way Joe was treated. Loved Sue's chocolate chip cookies.

Reactions: Alphabets and Bob78

I listen to college sports radio on morning drive, during lunch, and on the way home from work... I've found that there are some of these ex jock talking heads that are articulate and extremely knowlegable, but do not appear to have a clarity in their thought process. McElroy is one of these, but there are others. They have inside knowledge to provide insight, and can make statements without fumbling over their words, but they seem to be prone to saying things that are obviously flawed. I wonder whether this is because they are put on the spot or if they just don't ever think things through. The good news is that it's not a bias against Penn State, they make equally "dumb" statements related to lots of other teams.

It's not that I LOVE Childers, but he is entertaining. He is outspoken, but he also makes fun of himself more than anyone I've heard on the radio. Also, he has a great counterbalance to Neuheisal's calm demeanor.

It's not that I LOVE Childers, but he is entertaining. He is outspoken, but he also makes fun of himself more than anyone I've heard on the radio. Also, he has a great counterbalance to Neuheisal's calm demeanor.
Noticed today that they interviewed Narduzzi. He was sandwiched between all the Penn State discussion. Thought that was funny.

re: your post, I think Neuheisel is very, very good at the radio gig. Very knowledgeable, well thought out arguments. Relates his experiences very well.

Not that any of the above has any impact, but I am surprised he is not coaching somewhere.

I hear ya.
The ex-coaches are often the best at explaining things so us non-coaches can understand. What I think is interesting is that all the stuff so many of us (me included) criticized about JVP is really preached verbatim by these ex-coaches. E.g.: Securing the punt is the only thing that matters. Any yards via runback is gravy.

Ex-Rutgres coach Kyle Flood was pretty good last season with his breakdowns and explanations, but was about as low-key and bland as humanly possible. He's in the NFL this season. Neuheisel has a good personality for this to go with his expertise.

I don't mind not agreeing with these guys, unless it is clear they are saying something wacky just for the sake of being disagreeable. What I don't like about Childers is that he is not as well-informed as I am (very low bar) when it comes to college football history and overall info, including current stuff many times. It's his job; be prepared, know the history, be able to talk as an informed professional. He will at times state common older stereotypes as current facts (e.g. about some school who recently got good or bad as having always been good or bad), when the recent past shows a different story.
I want the fun and the personality, and I want quality, too. Especially for paid subscription radio. And online pay sites!

Dennis Dodd said today, and this is pretty much a direct quote "Ohio State will run away with the east, it's not close and nobody has anywhere near their talent."

Dennis Dodd said today, and this is pretty much a direct quote "Ohio State will run away with the east, it's not close and nobody has anywhere near their talent."
The talent gap between Penn State and tOSU last year was greater than this year and the game was close enough for us to come up with a "fluke" win... tOSU has been outrecruiting Penn State over the last few years, but Penn State is closing the gap.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT