ADVERTISEMENT

Last night I watched BATMAN vs SUPERMAN (I highly suggest watching this movie)............

Michael.Felli

Mar 19, 2013
Honestly, I went out of default. I knew sooner or later I was gonna go. So, I had some down time and went.

I tried to keep an open mind. Ben Affleck as Batman? I still see Keaton as Batman. And, no Christopher Nolan? I just knew this was gonna be a waste of time.

Boy, was I wrong! Quite an enjoyable movie. Of course, Batman vs Superman has to involve Kryptonite. I mean, how else could Batman have a chance, right? So, they did a good job with that.

Wonder Woman was awesome. Didn't disappoint.

Ben...well, I owe him an apology. He did an outstanding job considering he had to fill Christian Bale's Batman. He did as good a job as Roger Moore as 007 following Sean Connery. Sure, you miss Sean, but Roger fills the shoes nicely. Shockingly, so did Ben.

And, Jeremy Irons as Alfred was a solid casting move. All of the secondary actors were brilliant.

All things considered, I enjoyed this movie more than Star Wars: The Force Awakens. And, I think you will, too.

I love Batman, and I know its silly, but just never understood Superman. Here's a guy only susceptible to kryptonite and his unrequited love for Lois Lane so every story is exactly the same. Bad guy introduces Kryptonite while leveraging his love for LL.

Batman has this great undertone of good versus evil. More specifically, good turning into evil to fight evil.

I won't pay to see this movie. In fact, if it comes on free TV opposite the 99th viewing of "horrible bosses", I'll watch HB.

Honestly, I went out of default. I knew sooner or later I was gonna go. So, I had some down time and went.

I tried to keep an open mind. Ben Affleck as Batman? I still see Keaton as Batman. And, no Christopher Nolan? I just knew this was gonna be a waste of time.

Boy, was I wrong! Quite an enjoyable movie. Of course, Batman vs Superman has to involve Kryptonite. I mean, how else could Batman have a chance, right? So, they did a good job with that.

Ben...well, I owe him an apology. He did an outstanding job considering he had to fill Christian Bale's Batman. He did as good a job as Roger Moore as 007 following Sean Connery. Sure, you miss Sean, but Roger fills the shoes nicely. Shockingly, so did Ben.

And, Jeremy Irons as Alfred was a solid casting move. All of the secondary actors were brilliant.

All things considered, I enjoyed this movie more than Star Wars: The Force Awakens. And, I think you will, too.

_-I appreciate this....been wondering if I should take the time to see it.

This movie was an embarrassment to all concerned. Almost as bad as the Fantastic Four. Almost.

I haven't seen it, but I have also heard that it is horrible. I usually don't go to movie theaters based on principal of paying that much for a movie and concessions.

Totally agree! I went yesterday as well..kids wanted to see it...the reviews have been less than stellar..granted the acting tis subpar BUT the action and special effects are unreal...VERY cool movie in that respect...

I love Batman, and I know its silly, but just never understood Superman. Here's a guy only susceptible to kryptonite and his unrequited love for Lois Lane so every story is exactly the same. Bad guy introduces Kryptonite while leveraging his love for LL.

Batman has this great undertone of good versus evil. More specifically, good turning into evil to fight evil.

I won't pay to see this movie. In fact, if it comes on free TV opposite the 99th viewing of "horrible bosses", I'll watch HB.

Superman is very difficult to capture on film. Everyone always worries about 'who' Superman is, when really, it's the 'why' that is more compelling (and often ignored). In the right hands, he can be every bit as interesting as Batman. The best Superman story I ever read was in a comic book - 'All Star Superman' written by Grant Morrison. Here's the plot:

Dr. Leo Quintum and his team from P.R.O.J.E.C.T. are exploring the Sun when they are remotely sabotaged by Lex Luthor. Superman rescues them, and acquires the ability to project his bio-electric aura. Luthor has orchestrated this to overwhelm Superman's cells with massive amounts of solar radiation. Quintum determines that Superman's new power is also killing him, and he has one year left to live. Luthor is arrested, thanks to a Daily Planet article by Clark Kent. Superman decides to keep his impending death secret from the public.

However, Superman reveals his secret identity to Lois Lane, because he wants to spend his remaining time with her. Lois refuses to believe that Clark and Superman are the same person. For her birthday, Superman takes Lois to the Fortress of Solitude, where they have dinner in a stateroom of the RMS Titanic. During this visit, he also tells Lois that she can explore the Fortress save for one room he is constantly checking...

Superman as he appears on the cover of All-Star Superman #10 (May 2008); artwork by Frank Quitely

Reactions: WeR0206
Superman is very difficult to capture on film. Everyone always worries about 'who' Superman is, when really, it's the 'why' that is more compelling (and often ignored). In the right hands, he can be every bit as interesting as Batman. The best Superman story I ever read was in a comic book - 'All Star Superman' written by Grant Morrison. Here's the plot:

Dr. Leo Quintum and his team from P.R.O.J.E.C.T. are exploring the Sun when they are remotely sabotaged by Lex Luthor. Superman rescues them, and acquires the ability to project his bio-electric aura. Luthor has orchestrated this to overwhelm Superman's cells with massive amounts of solar radiation. Quintum determines that Superman's new power is also killing him, and he has one year left to live. Luthor is arrested, thanks to a Daily Planet article by Clark Kent. Superman decides to keep his impending death secret from the public.

However, Superman reveals his secret identity to Lois Lane, because he wants to spend his remaining time with her. Lois refuses to believe that Clark and Superman are the same person. For her birthday, Superman takes Lois to the Fortress of Solitude, where they have dinner in a stateroom of the RMS Titanic. During this visit, he also tells Lois that she can explore the Fortress save for one room he is constantly checking...

Superman as he appears on the cover of All-Star Superman #10 (May 2008); artwork by Frank Quitely
AllStarSuperman10.jpg
promo_Poluszny.jpg

I'm still mystified how this film has made almost $700 million worldwide in under 2 weeks, $52 million domestically in its 2nd week of release, and still be considered a "failure" by critics and industry experts

I really do think there is a concerted effort by Disney to trash this film . . .

I'm still mystified how this film has made almost $700 million worldwide in under 2 weeks, $52 million domestically in its 2nd week of release, and still be considered a "failure" by critics and industry experts

I really do think there is a concerted effort by Disney to trash this film . . .

As I understand it, as was stated on NPR two weeks ago, the break even for this film was $800,000,000. It also fell 68% on its second weekend. Ouch. Critics say that the first weekend was big due to a huge PR budget, second weekend due to word-of-mouth.

They don't need a lot of help - it's been mostly panned. I will say that people I know who like Batman and Superman really like the movie. Haven't seen it yet but will (at some point).

I know its silly, but just never understood Superman. Here's a guy only susceptible to kryptonite and his unrequited love for Lois Lane so every story is exactly the same. Bad guy introduces Kryptonite while leveraging his love for LL.

It is kind of silly. Did you only watch the superman films? In the comics Superman battles other extra terrestrials and has to deal with his power and being an outsider. In Man of Steel the story involved the prisoners coming back to earth. Each equally as strong as Superman.

With regards to this film, it is a Batman story. I haven't seen it but my understanding is it is pulled from the Frank Miller series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Knight_Returns

Batman has morphed a lot since Tim Burton was given a swing at it. Superman will as well at one point.

LdN

Reactions: Obliviax
They don't need a lot of help - it's been mostly panned. I will say that people I know who like Batman and Superman really like the movie. Haven't seen it yet but will (at some point).

seems like the biggest criticism of this film is that is not The Avengers . . . lol

I'm going to see it Wednesday. my stepson saw it and loved it. it is darker, more violent, and meditative than the Marvel films (according to him)

As I understand it, as was stated on NPR two weeks ago, the break even for this film was $800,000,000. It also fell 68% on its second weekend. Ouch. Critics say that the first weekend was big due to a huge PR budget, second weekend due to word-of-mouth.

just seems to me the people REALLY trashing it didn't see the movie THEY expected

I'll dig up Kevin Smith's SECOND review of the film (he trashed it upon first viewing, saw it a second time and realized it was a lot better than he gave it credit for)

just seems to me the people REALLY trashing it didn't see the movie THEY expected

I'll dig up Kevin Smith's SECOND review of the film (he trashed it upon first viewing, saw it a second time and realized it was a lot better than he gave it credit for)

Curiously enough, Harry Knowles at AICN did the exact same thing - much better review after a negative or mixed first review. I hate to call shenanigans, buuuuuuuuttt.....this seems pretty suspicious.

Bottom line is it made a ton of money and we'll get Batfleck solo next (he's already penned a script). I suspect that as long as Snyder doesn't direct it, and/or it doesn't involve Lex Luthor, it will be pretty good.

I wasn't going to pay for this movie because of the concept and the horrendous reviews. But I saw it instead of joining my family for an animated film.

I still cannot stand the concept (and very week plot / character development) and I am very disgruntled on a few things that occurred (which I cannot mention). I also thought it was too long but then again all of these types of movies are. But to my surprise, overall I enjoyed it. The special effects were powerful. The acting was very good (although I kept thinking of facebook when Lex was on screen) And even though I thought it was too long, I was never looking at my watch or thinking about hitting the head for a break. I was captivated the entire time.

If you like these types of movies, I suggest the matinee and bring your own water and snacks and you won't be disappointed. If you go in wanting to cut it to shreds you mise well save your money and wait for the $1 redbox or free library rental as I imagine you will be frustrated at a few things like I was. But I didn't let it bother me.

I told my wife that too bad she didn't see it as Benny would have gotten her all hot and heavy. He had to have done the eat chicken and work out 5 times a day routine as the dude is ripped!

Reactions: simons96
The trouble with comic book movies is comic book fans and their expectations . Every movie has to be the best epic opus extravaganza of all time .
It can't just be good . This movie was good. Fun, worth the time and money . It was a mish mash of a few different stories in one movie told comic style . I was okay with it and I'd say it's worth seeing .

Reactions: Michael.Felli
My favorite two comic characters, heck barely heard of half the marvel characters until the movies.

However, this has the biggest thing going against it due me, Zach Synder. Talk about a horrible director. Since his Dawn of the Dead I have hated all his movies.

Watchmen was self indulgent. 300, go read Gates of Fire not that garbage. Man of steel, such promise but totally missed the mark.

Guy is a Michael Bay knockoff, all effects, and nothing else.
I can appreciate mindless fun but this guy sucks!!!

My favorite two comic characters, heck barely heard of half the marvel characters until the movies.

However, this has the biggest thing going against it due me, Zach Synder. Talk about a horrible director. Since his Dawn of the Dead I have hated all his movies.

Watchmen was self indulgent. 300, go read Gates of Fire not that garbage. Man of steel, such promise but totally missed the mark.

Guy is a Michael Bay knockoff, all effects, and nothing else.
I can appreciate mindless fun but this guy sucks!!!

To be fair, Watchmen was considered 'unfilmable' for two decades. I'll give Snyder credit for doing the source material justice though (probably should have been a 12 hour mini-series to be honest). His newer stuff seems to suck though.

Reactions: Zenophile
Curiously enough, Harry Knowles at AICN did the exact same thing - much better review after a negative or mixed first review. I hate to call shenanigans, buuuuuuuuttt.....this seems pretty suspicious.

Bottom line is it made a ton of money and we'll get Batfleck solo next (he's already penned a script). I suspect that as long as Snyder doesn't direct it, and/or it doesn't involve Lex Luthor, it will be pretty good.

I am such a huge fan of Alan Moore's "Watchmen" comic that I was initially disappointed by the movie during the first viewing. It took me about 3 or 4 more viewings (and it is incredibly dense material) to appreciate and love it. Sucker Punch took me a few viewings to enjoy.

I am such a huge fan of Alan Moore's "Watchmen" comic that I was initially disappointed by the movie during the first viewing. It took me about 3 or 4 more viewings (and it is incredibly dense material) to appreciate and love it. Sucker Punch took me a few viewings to enjoy.

If ever there was a movie that I thought would F*CKING RULE SO HARD it was Sucker Punch. Soooooo disappointing......

I had low expectations for Watchmen to be honest; cast was great and Snyder did a nice job considering Watchmen is probably the holy grail of comic book writing/storytelling.

If ever there was a movie that I thought would F*CKING RULE SO HARD it was Sucker Punch. Soooooo disappointing......

I had low expectations for Watchmen to be honest; cast was great and Snyder did a nice job considering Watchmen is probably the holy grail of comic book writing/storytelling.

I think I liked Sucker Punch in segments, some really great visuals/music in it

but that is really Snyder's forte . . . with Watchmen, I had to first get over the massive change in the ending from the comic book. grrrrrrr!

but multiple viewings made me appreciate the difference between a visual/verbal medium like comic books, and a visual/verbal medium like film. some things just can't translate well. and wow did Jackie Earle Haley bring Rorschach to life.

finally saw BvS just now . . . very impressed! more convinced than ever there is a coordinated effort by the critics to bring this franchise down.

You can't do that... What's in the room!?!?!

I saw it last night after work and to quote Futurama - "We are reasonably satisfied with the events we have seen. Overall I would rate it a C+, OK, not great." I feel that the fanboys and critics on the internet have torn this one to shreds b/c it didn't live up to their expectations or the movie they expected to see, and because of that it has gotten word of mouth as a terrible flick. I would agree with some criticisms that this movie tried to do too much, and it felt that there were several movies going on at the same time leading to some disjointedness. I've also never been a fan of Henry Cavill as Superman and this movie did nothing to change that, but that's just my opinion. If anyone is on the fence I'd recommend going to see it. To the person asking if it's appropriate for a 6 year old - I'd say no. And as a point of order Christopher Nolan was tied to this film as an executive producer.

I've yet to see it, and doubt that I will watch it at the movies. I base that on two reasons:

1) long, long ago, when I actually read comic books, I hated the Batman vs. Superman comics. It made no sense to me that the two comic book heroes would suddenly have to fight each other.
2) as noted by others, the reviews for the film have been pretty poor.

I've yet to see it, and doubt that I will watch it at the movies. I base that on two reasons:

1) long, long ago, when I actually read comic books, I hated the Batman vs. Superman comics. It made no sense to me that the two comic book heroes would suddenly have to fight each other.
2) as noted by others, the reviews for the film have been pretty poor.

in regards to #1 . . . lol, you have to see the movie. there's a very well reasoned explanation for why they are fighting. and it goes to the core of what makes them "heroes" but remember in the Frank Miller comics, Lex Luthor was the POTUS and sent Superman to reign in Batman's vigilante crusade.

in re #2 - the reviews have been mostly inaccurate IMHO. or deliberately sabotaging the film.

I can understand why Batman hates/fears Superman. He's an alien that is nearly indestructible and killed upwards of a few thousand people during his fight with General Zod. Basically, he's a hero you have to fear and hope he's going to remain on your side. That's disturbing on many levels.

Had they cast anyone but Jessie Esienberg as Lex Zuckerberg (because that's pretty much what he was) and the movie would have been infinitely better. I gues he was cast to appeal to Millennials? A young tech. billionaire is maybe more relatable today than a tycoon of industry? I don't know. But his "hey look at me, I'm crazy" ticks were laughable and stereotypical of how an insane person is supposed to behave. Also smacked of laziness on his part in developing the character.

I liked the movie overall and agree that people are being way too critical of a comic-book/superhero movie. They all have plot holes at times and defy belief at times - sort of the nature of the material.

All in all I'd rather see a more serious take on superheroes that exposes their flaws and weaknesses and deals with weighty subject matter as opposed to the more family friendly Marvel fare.

I can understand why Batman hates/fears Superman. He's an alien that is nearly indestructible and killed upwards of a few thousand people during his fight with General Zod. Basically, he's a hero you have to fear and hope he's going to remain on your side. That's disturbing on many levels.

Had they cast anyone but Jessie Esienberg as Lex Zuckerberg (because that's pretty much what he was) and the movie would have been infinitely better. I gues he was cast to appeal to Millennials? A young tech. billionaire is maybe more relatable today than a tycoon of industry? I don't know. But his "hey look at me, I'm crazy" ticks were laughable and stereotypical of how an insane person is supposed to behave. Also smacked of laziness on his part in developing the character.

I liked the movie overall and agree that people are being way too critical of a comic-book/superhero movie. They all have plot holes at times and defy belief at times - sort of the nature of the material.

All in all I'd rather see a more serious take on superheroes that exposes their flaws and weaknesses and deals with weighty subject matter as opposed to the more family friendly Marvel fare.

SPOILERS ENSUE . . . .

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>

MANY of the reviews I had read are critical of Batman's motivations as unrealistic, but . . .

the film really laid the groundwork that this is a broken and damaged Batman.

he watched his employees and business die in a 9/11 type destruction from Superman's battle with Zod

Robin was killed, and he was taunted over it (presumably by The Joker)

he basically says 20 years of heroism in Gotham has yielded nothing but loss

he is borderline insane and consumed with rage, and Superman just happens to be the source of his rage at the moment (also prodded along by the trickery of Lex Luthor)

Couldn't agree more. Batman's motivations are the easiest to grasp and also the most developed in the movie. Lex Zucketberg's, not so much. Just a lot of rambling about Superman being God and he (Lex) wanting to kill God.

My friend is a huge Batman fan and didn't like the movie at all upon first viewing. Saw it a second time and liked it much more - still irritated by some plot holes, but I think that is largely the result of the movie trying to do too much in order to launch the Justice League.

I only saw it once and liked it. Thought the reviews were entirely too harsh and a bit vindictive - why I don't know. But they were merciless and criticized things that made perfect sense.

Couldn't agree more. Batman's motivations are the easiest to grasp and also the most developed in the movie. Lex Zucketberg's, not so much. Just a lot of rambling about Superman being God and he (Lex) wanting to kill God.

My friend is a huge Batman fan and didn't like the movie at all upon first viewing. Saw it a second time and liked it much more - still irritated by some plot holes, but I think that is largely the result of the movie trying to do too much in order to launch the Justice League.

I only saw it once and liked it. Thought the reviews were entirely too harsh and a bit vindictive - why I don't know. But they were merciless and criticized things that made perfect sense.

it's kind of funny that the movie was panned for being too long, and also trying to do too much . . . I felt it could have been about 15 minutes longer and more comprehensive

Oh, and my friend also couldn't get over Batman using guns, especially to the extent he did. Didn't bother me, but I guess that guns are a no-no for the character.

LOL! I like Batman better with guns. It makes him a more realistic superhero since he does met have any special powers.

LOL! I like Batman better with guns. It makes him a more realistic superhero since he does met have any special powers.

well again, not to spoil the movie for those who have not seen it . . .

SPOILER!!

one of the themes I picked up almost immediately is that Batman is doing a lot of things we don't "normally" associate with Batman, because he is a deeply broken "hero"

his journey to forming the Justice League is central to his character arc

how critics missed this is beyond me

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT