ADVERTISEMENT

Kobe Bryant Wrongful Death Lawsuit

AvgUser

Jul 12, 2016
Kobe Bryant's widow has filed a wrongful death suit.

For me, I'm scratching my head saying why? Without googling I would say that she is probably worth $50M or more. So now she may have another $5M or $10M more that she doesn't have time to spend?

If I were ever involved of something like this (tragic accident of loved one), I hope that I wouldn't necessarily resort to a lawsuit and a "money grab". Accidents do happen. I'm pretty far removed and likely five degrees of separation from any of the deceased or their families. From a distance, I obviously think this is the wrong action. That's my opinion. Your thoughts, opinions, comments?.

For me, I'm scratching my head saying why? Without googling I would say that she is probably worth $50M or more. So now she may have another $5M or $10M more that she doesn't have time to spend?

If I were ever involved of something like this (tragic accident of loved one), I hope that I wouldn't necessarily resort to a lawsuit and a "money grab". Accidents do happen. I'm pretty far removed and likely five degrees of separation from any of the deceased or their families. From a distance, I obviously think this is the wrong action. That's my opinion. Your thoughts, opinions, comments?.
Needing the money isn’t her motivation imo. And I’ll guess her net worth I substantially higher.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
I saw on another board that this might be a formality with a life insurance claim, not her deciding to sue on her own?

Obviously she'd loaded right and she wouldn't stand to get much if any money in the lawsuit since the accused is dead.

I saw on another board that this might be a formality with a life insurance claim, not her deciding to sue on her own?

Obviously she'd loaded right and she wouldn't stand to get much if any money in the lawsuit since the accused is dead.

She is suing the estate of the pilot AND the company that owned and operated the helicopter. Can't say how much either is worth.

Is it normal to sue the estate of the dead defendant?
I certainly hope that it is insurance company driven. Seems a bit cold to sue the family of a dead person for something he allegedly did.
Just MHO. And, I have never been involved (pray God never involved) in anything close to this.

OL

Youre probably missing another zero on her net worth. This isnt about her getting money.

...the winners will be the attorneys...
...gotta find the deep pockets first...
... :(

Reactions: colt21
I certainly hope that it is insurance company driven. Seems a bit cold to sue the family of a dead person for something he allegedly did.
Just MHO. And, I have never been involved (pray God never involved) in anything close to this.

I believe, and I could be wrong, the reason they would sue the estate would be to collect from any liability policy the pilot would have maintained in case of an accident of some sort. I would hope nobody wants to ruin that family financially.

Reactions: OhioLion
I kind of thought the same thing - hopefully all the families share in any recovery. I would guess the Helicopter Company will probable declare bankruptcy and the Insurance will pony up all the policy limits pretty quickly since there will have a large obligation - better to settle quick before the lawyers eat up all the money that should go to the families - wait to you see the list of defendants - it will be very long and there will be some head scratchers names that are deep pockets in it.

Youre probably missing another zero on her net worth. This isnt about her getting money.
For sure. It’s likely about “justice” and putting some procedural issues (ex: insurance) to bed. I doubt she is trying to recoup lost future income with this. Kobe was worth $600 million at the time of his death. Money is not the issue.

No idea if this happened, their was speculation that Kobe could have pressured the pilot to fly in those conditions. Even if true, pilot is still at fault, however Kobe gets a black eye...never know what can happen in a lawsuit.

OL
I know a person who is 89 who was sued over an issue with a rental property, he and his estate were named in the lawsuit, he is still alive.

My father-in-law who is 87 was involved in an auto accident that he caused, I am just waiting for the lawsuit against him and his estate. I know if I was the victim I would have already filed a lawsuit against him and the estate. Thankfully the person is now ok.

Last edited:
I was just very stunned at the timing of the lawsuit, within hours of the Memorial Service.

Just cheapened the day from my perspective.

No idea if this happened, their was speculation that Kobe could have pressured the pilot to fly in those conditions. Even if true, pilot is still at fault, however Kobe gets a black eye...never know what can happen in a lawsuit.

Apparently it's quite common for pilots of VIP clients to push the envelope of flight conditions. Too hard to say "no"

Apparently it's quite common for pilots of VIP clients to push the envelope of flight conditions. Too hard to say "no"
It all comes back to the pilot. My father in law had a company plane and full time pilot for many years. I can remember a few times where my father in law wanted to fly in “iffy” conditions, but in every instance his pilot said no .... and explained why it was a no ....and my father in law listened. A good pilot makes( should) the final call every time....IMO. If said pilot is prone to only making his boss happy....then you have a serious issue.

I believe, and I could be wrong, the reason they would sue the estate would be to collect from any liability policy the pilot would have maintained in case of an accident of some sort. I would hope nobody wants to ruin that family financially.
Sure hope none of the other families of the deceased sue Kobe’s estate for inviting them to ride the helicopter with him!

That is definitely in the works.

LdN
I agree 100%. The estates of all non Bryant victims are looking aggressively at a possible action. They will look at two “ deep pocket” sources of funds.The liability insurance pool for the helicopter owner and a possible action against the Bryant estate. They would be remiss if they did not consider this. Of course in this sad loss of life one does not want to think in terms of money as they grieve. But any responsible estate executor and family attorneys would be expected to look at any and all remedies and present their findings to the various families for a decision to proceed further. Etc.

Reactions: LionDeNittany

OL
Yes, it is normal.
I think whether it is "cold" or not is dependent on the nature of what he did wrong. was he drunk? High? Just a terrible pilot?

Did he ignore warnings given him either by humans or the aircraft?

But in any event there is likely insurance.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
If Kobe were flying the helicopter or the owner I could see a potential claim, but this is somewhat similar to a case I was involved in. 3 people were killed and 1 injured in a limo crash for a birthday outing. The person who organized it, booked the limo and invited others to come was not found liable. One of the decedent's estate filed a lawsuit naming the organizer. In this case, Kobe provided others with the opportunity to come on the helicopter, like the organizer of the limo trip did, but if he was not the owner or the operator it is likely difficult to find wrongdoing and/or liability. However, I don't know all the facts of this one and I don't know California law.

This lays out some of the claims. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...l-death-suit-after-crash-killed-kobe-n1141741
EXCERPT.....
"The 72-page lawsuit filed in Los Angeles Superior Court alleges that Island Express Helicopters put the helicopter in the air when conditions were not safe for flying.

The company and the helicopter's pilot, Ara George Zobayan, had a "duty to use that degree of care that an ordinarily careful and prudent pilot would use under the same or similar circumstances," the suit says.

Instead, Zobayan failed to assess weather data prior to takeoff of the doomed Jan. 26 flight, the suit says.

The fog in Los Angeles was so dense on the morning the Sikorsky S-76B crashed into a hillside in Calabasas that the Los Angeles Police Department had grounded its helicopters until the afternoon, LAPD spokesman Joshua Rubenstein said at the time. The department requires 2 miles of visibility and an 800-foot cloud ceiling that weren't there, he said.

Bryant alleges in the suit that the pilot failed to abort the flight even though he knew of cloudy conditions. The suit also says Zobayan flew the helicopter into conditions in which he couldn't viably navigate using visual references, forcing him to use instrument flight rules (IFR), and failed to avoid or keep a safe distance between the aircraft and obstacles in the flight path.

NBC News previously reported that Zobayan had the proper federal certification to fly by IFR, but Island Express Helicopters did not, and he would have been restricted to the company's licensing."

Last edited:
If you are an individual with any kind of professional license for your occupation, be it doctor, pilot, lawyer, engineer.....whatever....then you are more of a target.
Especially if you cause people to die, even if they are not fabulously wealthy and beloved.

Yup. Having the license means you are a person who should know better. Especially negligence.
Yeah, that license usually has some rules along with it that require you to meet a certain standard. When you don't and people die, they's gon' be some trouble.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
Yeah, that license usually has some rules along with it that require you to meet a certain standard. When you don't and people die, they's gon' be some trouble.
We'll know more once the FAA report is released but that aircraft didn't belong where it was and in those conditions when it went down. The pilot was the pilot. And yes, this is likely insurance-driven.

Most already assume the more powerful aboard will be presumed to have pressured the pilot, whether that's true or not. And there's a good chance life insurance proceeds alone won't be enough to support the families of the more vulnerable aboard.

This was going to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT