ADVERTISEMENT

Knoebels

marshall23

May 23, 2013

Grew up a neighbor of the producer's father
(Chad Evans) of this video. Not his real last name. He was a couple of years ahead of me at Southern Columbia.
They also have a neat little Youtube song about Shamokin.
I miss the fries with vinegar, fried dough and the burgers at Jennings Knoebel's Stand.
What about you? My wife and I took our boys there (about a 3 hour trip one way) 3 or 4 times per season minimum. Great memories. Have not been back since she passed.

They used to have dances during the week in the Roller Rink. Kids from Shamokin, Mt. Carmel, Sunbury, Bloomsburg, Catawissa, Elysburg etc. Sometimes it was better than the Gillette's Friday Night Fights.

I enjoy that place. No admission fee. Buy ride tickets as you go. I usually only want to ride the roller coasters and a couple other rides. Mostly I just enjoy the atmosphere, eat some junk food, watch a few shows and head home after a few hours.

I enjoy that place. No admission fee. Buy ride tickets as you go. I usually only want to ride the roller coasters and a couple other rides. Mostly I just enjoy the atmosphere, eat some junk food, watch a few shows and head home after a few hours.
Don't know about now....but at one time was pretty much a family owned and operated business. My father was a class mate of Jennings....my brother a classmate of Ronnie and Diane was in my class at Southern. When I worked their in the 60's Dick pretty much ran the show and he IMO could be a little surly.

Don't know about now....but at one time was pretty much a family owned and operated business. My father was a class mate of Jennings....my brother a classmate of Ronnie and Diane was in my class at Southern. When I worked their in the 60's Dick pretty much ran the show and he IMO could be a little surly.

I think it’s still family owned. Another reason we’d go there is they would let dogs in the park. Not in restaurants or on rides obviously. But they were (I assume still are) allowed in the park.

We were there in July for my daughter's birthdays. My oldest and I took our dogs, Her dog loved the train ride. Mine hated it. My dog was 17 at the time and decided she was too tired to walk. I ended up carrying her most of the day.

Reactions: marshall23
I ended up carrying her most of the day.

We have a dog stroller. Comes in handy on vacations. Restaurants will let us sit outside with the dog in the stroller (some let him sit on the ground if leashed, but the stroller is simpler for us to control him while eating). We take it to Knoebels for when he gets tired of walking. And we can toss our stuff in it too. So works well all around.

Maybe once every other summer as a kid. More immediate and important were the local Volunteer Fireman Carnivals for our young social scenes.

Used to take our kids there when they were little back in the early 90's.

On my side of the state, Kennywood Park used to be that way. Some Spanish company bought out the original family ownership team a few years back and totally ruined the family orientation of the park. Still a great place. But a significant step down from its hey day.

Went there with grandchildren several years ago. Great place! As said, free parking, no admission charge, pay as you go for rides (which are great) and swimming. Things for people of all ages!

On my side of the state, Kennywood Park used to be that way. Some Spanish company bought out the original family ownership team a few years back and totally ruined the family orientation of the park. Still a great place. But a significant step down from its hey day.

Probably Palace Entertainment. They bought Dutch Wonderland in Lancaster about 10 years ago. The place isn’t the same from what I’m told. But I’ve never actually been there, so can’t give a first hand evaluation.

Thank you, brightened my day, that place means so much to my family and extended family. I picture our kids riding the carousel reaching out for brass rings. My son at 2 laughing as he rode the kiddy whip (between his older sisters who were holding his head so it wouldn't whip around too much). I could go on and on. Magical place and I'm so grateful the Knoebels family keeps all the traditions. A lot of the best things about PA can be found at Knoebels. Way, way cooler than a Disney park could ever be.

Grew up a neighbor of the producer's father
(Chad Evans) of this video. Not his real last name. He was a couple of years ahead of me at Southern Columbia.
They also have a neat little Youtube song about Shamokin.
I miss the fries with vinegar, fried dough and the burgers at Jennings Knoebel's Stand.
What about you? My wife and I took our boys there (about a 3 hour trip one way) 3 or 4 times per season minimum. Great memories. Have not been back since she passed.

Been there twice and still talk about it to this day. Great memories there. Would love to take the wife and kids there some day. Hope it stays open long enough for the kids to be old enough to go

someone mentioned fireman’s carnivals. In my neck of the woods we had the Mason-Dixon fair and the Solanco fair, and the much bigger York fair. We loved going to those things as kids (me, three brothers and sister). The local tractor dealerships would park tractors there for sale and we’d play tag and hide and seek amongst the tractors. We also loved seeing all the livestock (of course we were raised on a dairy farm so it was more interesting to us). I have yet to find the same atmosphere at any of the “fairs” or “carnivals” I’ve been to outside of PA.

Love Knoebels. Many happy memories there as a kid and then with my own children. Looking forward to my next visit. Has anyone ever tried camping there?

Here are some more images... Knoebels can make any amateur look good... my kids were old enough to explore the park on their own - i decided to explore some effects on my Nikon...

Took my kids there 1-2 times a summer, still going with my grand kids. Always went to Cesari's for a pie for supper and The Old Mill for ice cream for desert.

Love Knoebels. Many happy memories there as a kid and then with my own children. Looking forward to my next visit. Has anyone ever tried camping there?

Have never tent camped, but we try to take our small trailer every summer for 3 or 4 days. My kids are getting older, but they still enjoy for a long weekend. They really love the pool. I've been going since a wee lad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT