ADVERTISEMENT

Klatt calls Playoff Committee Corrupt

I think there is a lot at stake, but it is not direct money. -- Here is the payoff structure:

"Naturally the first place to look is the teams, but they actually have little to gain in terms of a direct financial reward. The College Football Playoff pays prize money to conferences, not teams, and the title game actually carries no reward money. The four conferences that participated in this year's playoff - the SEC, ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12 - received $6 million apiece for qualifying, and even those in the non-playoff Big Six bowls get $4 million per team, but there's no prize for making, or winning, the championship." See https://www.forbes.com/sites/chriss...ball-national-championship-game/#4a9568ba2777

OSU & Penn State only lost $2 mil each by not being in the playoff. However, the indirect benefits are large as mentioned in the article, and the potential for corruption is very much there. Essentially, a lot of money, power and influence is there to be doled out with no standards.

Understand about the direct $$$ however the intangibles like recruiting , status , Coaches Bonus ? etc are of course significant.

You lost to Pittsburg and Michigan. OSU only lost to PSU. OSU beat a very good Oklahoma team as well as the very good Michigan team that pounded you. OSU's resume was clearly stronger.
But I’m sure PSU woulda put some points on the board vs Clemson. Douche

You're still here?

And he still doesn’t care that OSU didn’t make the college football playoffs. He doesn’t care damn it!!!!

Great hearing from both of you. Your scintillating and creative posts are so enjoyable to read. You are both in top form and a credit to Penn State. However, Mix you forgot the typical name calling. Looking forward to that next time.

This argument is crazy, guys.

Penn State was looking awesome at the end of the year in 2016 and I think it would have been fun to see how they did in the CFP. I am an OSU fan, so I’m glad OSU got in, but I definitely see a strong argument for PSU also.

This year, OSU is playing ok. I see an argument for both OSU and Alabama, and I think choosing Alabama is more consistent with what the committee did last year.

I think the discussion between our fanbases could be constructive. Either OSU got “screwed” this year and PSU last year or the committee got it right in both circumstances. These years are now over. What do we want going forward? One or both of us may be in the same situation next year — how do we want the committee to choose? That’s the big question to me.

Reactions: Howie'81
The committee is going to do whatever they want to, and that can and does change year to year. They clearly overvalue games played at the end of the season, despite the silly arguments that an 8-team playoff somehow marginalizes the regular season. They already marginalize the regular season. The last 3 weeks of the season, they almost treat as 1-game seasons. Give it more weight sure, but they go way too far with it.

Last year and this year are not the same. There was no head-to-head game this year between OSU and Alabama, nor are they in the same conference and even division. I don't have a big problem with OSU getting in last year, but in no way did they deserve to get in this year. PSU deserved to get in more last year than OSU did this year, simple as that.

And OSU absolutely had no business getting in the playoff the year they won the whole thing. The fact they won it does not change the fact they did not merit getting in at all, that last game jumping was horrific.

The same crap will still happen when they go to 8 teams, but at least your argument gets weaker when you're crying about not being considered the 8th best team in the country.

Reactions: Howie'81
I know it’s not popular but OSU last year is nowhere near Alabama this year. Last year’s OSU team had four Top 20 wins - their only loss was on the road by three points to us. Bama this year has one Top 20 win and a joke of an OOC schedule (one of OSU’s ranked wins last year was against Oklahoma). We should have been in last year by virtue of head to head and conference championship - and OSU should have been in this year because they had better wins and a conference championship. Bama getting in is wrong and suggests games don’t matter - only how you look in them does.
I agree 100%. The CFP, and I'm sure in cahoots with the BIG (Delaney), set the unfortunate precedence last year. They would have had extreme amounts of egg on their face if they let OSU in and we all know that cannot happen. But, they sure do not mind continuing the pattern of corruption that they so often engage in and feel no $hame about whatsoever. Now let's see if they right the ship next year? We have a top four schedule, for sure, and cannot wait to see how '18 plays out.

Last edited:
One thing about the playoffs...only two conferences have never been left out of the CFP so far (ACC and SEC). Which are the only two conferences that only play 8 conference games? Hmm..

Reactions: itsofficial101
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT