ADVERTISEMENT

Kharchla

BruceK-PSU83

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
to Tan Tom and the Bucknuts, per a poster on ohiowrestliing.net forum. No confirmation, but there very little BS or trolling on that board, so I suspect it is legit.

No real surprise if true. And whatever you think of Ryan, he can really recruit and is amassing a crap-ton of top talent.

Last edited:
Reactions: fronk71
It is on his twitter.

HR isn't bytching about Ohio State and Ryan. Despite the obvious, like Penn State AND Ohio State are BOTH steps beyond the Hawkeyes, HR believes they are right there even with Nits and they need only to catch the Nits.

Reactions: diggerpup
The arms race is nice!! I still like our guys but this is two great 2019 classes

2019 true freshman
PSU tOSU

Brooks Kerklieviet
Beard Decatur
Nevills Karchla
Lee
Busiello

Any word on Starocci? Was hoping he'd commit since he was here a short time ago

After Moore and Hayes leave... though maybe Hayes gets a 6th

125- Heinselman
133- Decatur
141- D’emilio/Stickley
149- Kinner
157- Sasso
165- Romero/Kharchla
174- Kharchla/Romero
184- Jordan/Smith
197- Hoffman
Hwt- Kerkvliet

Looking good. Really happy they didn’t get Mastro for that 141 spot

Last edited:

Indeed! How do you think we stack up to them next year? Will Teske be our 125 next year with Teasdale, RBY, Nick Lee, Berge moving up a weight? Does Verkleeren factor in at 149? Please share your thoughts, LP.

125- Heinselman
133- Decatur
141- D’emilio
149- Kinner
157- Sasso
165- Romero/Kharchla
174- Kharchla/Romero
184- Jordan/Smith
197- Hoffman
Hwt- Kerkvliet

Starocci's Father and Tony Robie where High School Teammates (Football), He went on a visit to VT last year when they hosted a game against Clemson. Personally I think it is between VT and PSU, but who knows.

125- Heinselman
133- Decatur
141- D’emilio/Stickley
149- Kinner
157- Sasso
165- Romero/Kharchla
174- Kharchla/Romero
184- Jordan/Smith
197- Hoffman
Hwt- Kerkvliet

If Jaden Mattox joins the team as expected he will hopefully man 157 with Kinner at 141 and Sasso at 149 and Karchla 165.

I'm cool with both Iowa and Tan Tom's recent recruiting run. Impressive and should keep things interesting.

That said, get me some of that 2020 Howard, Bartlett, Hilegas, Ferrari and I will be ecstatic. A minimum of 2 with you know who at the top of my list.

The G fans are pretty bummed. Gotta admit, would've been cool to see him in MN, but anywhere other than tOSU would've sufficed.

Same. To me the priorities would be Amos, Ferrari, and Josh Saunders.

If we don't land Starocci, then Nijenjuis or Lawrence -- unless Cael thinks he gets Facundo in 2021.

Like Howard a lot but we already have a ton of guys at his likely weights.
Since you mention him, what's the general concensus on Starocci? Seem to recall reading that his stock has dipped a bit, limited upside, etc. Also no idea how hard PSU is going after him, or his interest in PSU.

:)
Since you mention him, what's the general concensus on Starocci? Seem to recall reading that his stock has dipped a bit, limited upside, etc. Also no idea how hard PSU is going after him, or his interest in PSU.
Good question, though I find the stock dipping, stock rising thing a bit presumptuous. Our coaches see things that average fans don’t. I’m including the ranking agencies. Might get a kid in the coach’s radar, but they evaluate talent (and character) in person. Pretty sure Starocci is on the radar :).

Personal opinion only, not consensus by any means:

I think he's been passed by a couple guys in his weight range -- Kharchla and Plott. That doesn't mean he stays passed, just current state.

Would not say limited upside -- rather that he may need help to reach his potential. Meaning that Erie isn't exactly a hotbed for top training partners. He sometimes struggles to find his offense, and allows himself to get sucked into defense-first matches. Those things can be worked out of him in the PSU room, and he'll take to the coaching. He's still very athletic and has shown he can dig deep when it counts. And Fargo double champs don't grow on trees.

If he stays as a college 174, then he's still the best available for a few years (Facundo in 2021 if he ends up at 174). He's listed at 182 right now -- which hopefully is merely because he wrestled 80 kg/176 lb for Junior World Team Trials and/or is challenging himself at a higher weight -- because if he grows into Brooks range, PSU might no longer be his best option.

He hasn't announced finalists but PSU and VT are the most likely choices. Mutual interest at each school. Has made several visits to PSU, and there's a personal connection with Robie.

Personal opinion only, not consensus by any means:

I think he's been passed by a couple guys in his weight range -- Kharchla and Plott. That doesn't mean he stays passed, just current state.

Would not say limited upside -- rather that he may need help to reach his potential. Meaning that Erie isn't exactly a hotbed for top training partners. He sometimes struggles to find his offense, and allows himself to get sucked into defense-first matches. Those things can be worked out of him in the PSU room, and he'll take to the coaching. He's still very athletic and has shown he can dig deep when it counts. And Fargo double champs don't grow on trees.

If he stays as a college 174, then he's still the best available for a few years (Facundo in 2021 if he ends up at 174). He's listed at 182 right now -- which hopefully is merely because he wrestled 80 kg/176 lb for Junior World Team Trials and/or is challenging himself at a higher weight -- because if he grows into Brooks range, PSU might no longer be his best option.

He hasn't announced finalists but PSU and VT are the most likely choices. Mutual interest at each school. Has made several visits to PSU, and there's a personal connection with Robie.
Good info, thanks.

Facundo (2021) looks to be the real deal, but doesn't he have some connection to the Michigan staff? Might to tough to pull away from the Skunkbears.

Meatchicken is the early favorite, but it's a long way off.

Facundo is from the same hometown as Metcalf, so Iowa State may have a hook.

In our favor: it's also Mark Hall's original hometown.

Geez. I saw another clip with a lightning fast duck - unfair for a big man.

I know he’s got Ohio connections. Are you hearing any news on him?
I heard he was training at the Ohio RTC, I think there is some reciprocity with West Virginia or something. Rowlands talked about it around a year ago on his podcast with Askren. Cant recall the details. I dont know if he still trains there. Not sure if Kerkvliet ends Amos' chances in Columbus..or if Braxton really wants to go 197 in college, in which the Kerk wouldnt matter. (If Hoffman can stay at 184 long term.)

I would assume West Virginia will give him the best package.

Heard he is close with Jared Haught (also from his area of West Virginia) and that V Tech is a real possibility for Amos.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT