ADVERTISEMENT

Keystone Classic

...it appears individual tix are $12 but there is a group price of $5...

...I wonder how many constitute a group?...

...it seems the club bus trip of 40-50 should qualify for the $5 group rate...

With the marathon starting early in the morning many of the streets in the area of the palestra are closed off. Hopefully the club bus will be able to drop you guys off right in front of the Palestra.

...can anyone recommend directions to the Palestra that morning from southbound on the Shurkill Expressway that will not conflict with the race?...
...I usually just get off at South St. and merely swing past Franklin Field ... will that be a problem?...

Last edited:
Parking is difficult there when the streets aren't blocked. Recommend taking Septa:
Regional Rail to University City, or
Broad St Market-Frankford (blue) subway to 34th, or
Trolley to 33rd.

All will be within 4 blocks of the Palestra.

If weather is crappy, take regional rail or subway to 30th St Station and get a cab/Uber/Lyft from there.

At least the Eagles and Flyers don't have home games that day

EDIT: subway line corrected above.

Last edited:
Reactions: jtothemfp
Parking is difficult there when the streets aren't blocked. Recommend taking Septa:
Broad St (blue) subway to 34th, or
Trolley to 33rd.

If weather is crappy, take regional rail or subway to 30th St Station and get a cab/Uber/Lyft from there.

At least the Eagles and Flyers don't have home games that day.

I would recommend public transportation to go to this event. Depending on weather it could be a perfectly fine walk. You're looking at a 10-15 minute walk max to get to the Palestra from 30th Street Station.

...I realize the schuylkill is listed as
E-W but from where I get on at I-476 it definitely runs more N-S to Penn or to the Walt Whitman bridge...from out at King of Prussia it's probably a toss up...

476 does run northbound and southbound, I use it to go from Conshohocken to Allentown whenever I'm visiting family or friends. I don't consider that the Schuylkill Expressway.

Either way, if you're taking 476 south, then you'll need to get onto 76 anyway to get to Penn.

...I thought that was what I said - I get on the Schuylkill from I-476 and head South into Philadelphia from there...

...can anyone recommend directions to the Palestra that morning from southbound on the Shurkill Expressway that will not conflict with the race?...
...I usually just get off at South St. and merely swing past Franklin Field ... will that be a problem?...

I offer this with the caveat that I don't know for sure what is or is not closed for the race. However, I looked over the course of the race, and think I can make pretty good assumptions about closings.

You should be fine if you get off the Schuylkill Expy at South Street, and take that toward The Palestra. The Palestra is set back off of 33rd Street. The Schuylkill Expy is not part of the race, and neither is South Street, so I seriously doubt that either of them will be closed.

The race takes place on Chestnut Street, and then turns north at 34th street. As such, you're likely to be greatly limited in terms of looking for parking. You can take South Street to 33rd, and turn right, and if you're crazy lucky you'll be able to park on 33rd right in front of The Palestra (what I did at W#1 Duals last winter). More than likely, all of the spots will be taken. (If I remember correctly, there aren't parking meters on 33rd street. However, there is 2-hour parking, and the Parking Authority can be real pains about enforcing that, so even if you find street parking, you'd have to move every couple of hours.) If you don't find parking on 33rd in front of The Palestra, then you'll be able to continue past The Palestra to Walnut Street. You can turn left there. I doubt you'll be able to go past Walnut, as the next major street is Chestnut, where the race is taking place. I believe the parking on Walnut is also free, but limited to 2 hours.) You can take Walnut to 34th, and then turn left onto 34th. If you don't find any street parking, or don't feel like dealing with moving your car every 2 hours, I'd suggest that you go past Spruce Street (which is the continuation of South Street, that you got off on) on 34th, and park in the high-rise parking lot opposite HUP (Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania). That would leave you with a short walk to The Palestra.

I hope that helps, but remember the caveat that I listed.

Reactions: jtothemfp
Thanks; pretty good chance PSU dominates here, don't you think?
how many individual champs might we see? 7 or more?
Ask me again after Stanford. That will be a real good national perspective on some of our mystery weights.

Tom...thanks for the info...the last time we went to see wrestling at the Palestra we parked behind the building but I guess everything has changed ...are there parking lots at Franklin Field that might be available/...

Absolutely, I think PSU will do very well in this tournament, but I'll not predict a number of individual champs. The coaches wanted a tournament that gave the guys 4 bouts or fewer each (assuming they keep winning in this double-elimination format). Wouldn't surprise me if they pull any of the guys that tweaks something, though of course I don't want any injury, and I'm not just talking our guys.

I got bored enough to look up the other teams' rosters. Here's how we stack up:
- 149 (Zain), 157 (Nolf), 184 (Nickal) locks to win -- no point in even looking up the field.
- 125 Suriano - should win. Most notable in the field = Bentley (Pitt).
- 133 Cortez - should win, but could miss the finals if he slips up. Richardson (Penn), Forys (Pitt).
- 141 Gulibon - should win. Likely will face Zanetta (Pitt) in the finals.
- 165 Cenzo - real good test if Walsh (Rider) and Brill (NW) are both at this weight and he draws both. Wiercioch (Pitt) also here.
- 174 Rasheed/Mouse - good field: Kent (Penn) and Sebastian (NW) should be stiff tests. Campbell (Pitt) and Kee (App St) can't be ignored.
- 197 Stout - Wolfe (Rider) should win. Mattiace (Penn) probably should reach the finals. If Pitt's roster is correct and Rizzo is dropping here, I have no idea what to expect.
- 285 Nevills - should reach the finals vs. DeJournette (App St). Solomon (PItt) and Correnti (Rider) could push some.

TL;DR version:
- 9 finalists
- 6-8 champs = 125-165, 184, 285
- 1 runner-up = 174
- 1 3rd/4th who might reach the finals = 197
- 3 who could miss the finals with a bad match = 133, 165, 174
- Nobody finishes below 4th.

Wow! Thanks E-J, great work.

Roll call...me, NoVa, androcles, jto...who else?

Broad St (blue) subway to 34th, or
Trolley to 33rd.

At least the Eagles and Flyers don't have home games that day.
I screwed up the subway above. You do want the blue line, but that's not Broad St, it's Market-Frankford. Broad St is the orange line, which goes N-S from City Hall, approx 20 blocks from Penn's campus.

- 149 (Zain), 157 (Nolf), 184 (Nickal) locks to win -- no point in even looking up the field.
- 133 Cortez - should win, but could miss the finals if he slips up. Richardson (Penn), Forys (Pitt).
- 165 Cenzo - real good test if Walsh (Rider) and Brill (NW) are both at this weight and he draws both. Wiercioch (Pitt) also here.
- 174 Rasheed/Mouse - good field: Kent (Penn) and Sebastian (NW) should be stiff tests. Campbell (Pitt) and Kee (App St) can't be ignored.
- 197 Stout - Wolfe (Rider) should win. Mattiace (Penn) probably should reach the finals. If Pitt's roster is correct and Rizzo is dropping here, I have no idea what to expect.
- 285 Nevills - should reach the finals vs. DeJournette (App St). Solomon (PItt) and Correnti (Rider) could push some.

TL;DR version:
- 9 finalists
- 1 runner-up = 174

I looked them up also when I made my post. Good catch at 197 - I missed Mattiace when skimming the rosters and agree we may not have a finalist here, so I'm down to 9 also.

Disagree with slightly with 165. Although Walsh is very dangerous, I think Cenzo wins going away against him. Brill is at 157 I think, but I don't think he or Weircoch pose a threat.

I offer this with the caveat that I don't know for sure what is or is not closed for the race. However, I looked over the course of the race, and think I can make pretty good assumptions about closings.

You should be fine if you get off the Schuylkill Expy at South Street, and take that toward The Palestra. The Palestra is set back off of 33rd Street. The Schuylkill Expy is not part of the race, and neither is South Street, so I seriously doubt that either of them will be closed.

The race takes place on Chestnut Street, and then turns north at 34th street. As such, you're likely to be greatly limited in terms of looking for parking. You can take South Street to 33rd, and turn right, and if you're crazy lucky you'll be able to park on 33rd right in front of The Palestra (what I did at W#1 Duals last winter). More than likely, all of the spots will be taken. (If I remember correctly, there aren't parking meters on 33rd street. However, there is 2-hour parking, and the Parking Authority can be real pains about enforcing that, so even if you find street parking, you'd have to move every couple of hours.) If you don't find parking on 33rd in front of The Palestra, then you'll be able to continue past The Palestra to Walnut Street. You can turn left there. I doubt you'll be able to go past Walnut, as the next major street is Chestnut, where the race is taking place. I believe the parking on Walnut is also free, but limited to 2 hours.) You can take Walnut to 34th, and then turn left onto 34th. If you don't find any street parking, or don't feel like dealing with moving your car every 2 hours, I'd suggest that you go past Spruce Street (which is the continuation of South Street, that you got off on) on 34th, and park in the high-rise parking lot opposite HUP (Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania). That would leave you with a short walk to The Palestra.

I hope that helps, but remember the caveat that I listed.

Super helpful, thanks man.

Flattery will get you everywhere!

I live 25 min from Penn's campus, except that week will be living in SE Asia, 12 hrs ahead and thus asleep during the event. TIA to the board for helping me catch up the next morning (wifi permitting!). I blame United for the airfare sale back in May, long before the PSU schedule was announced.

Flattery will get you everywhere!

I live 25 min from Penn's campus, except that week will be living in SE Asia, 12 hrs ahead and thus asleep during the event. TIA to the board for helping me catch up the next morning (wifi permitting!). I blame United for the airfare sale back in May, long before the PSU schedule was announced.

VERY interesting...I'm guessing you probably need a housesitter...for that one pesky night prior to this tourney....and I'm further guessing you'd prefer it be a Penn State Wrestling fan...who can take housekeeping instructions via internet and appreciate timezone differences with southeast asia? I think I know a guy...

Good Parking Areas:

Penn Park (31 and Lower Walnut)
38th and Walnut
Penn Museum Lot (South & Convention Ave off 76 exit)

Tentatively planning on it. Was planning to just drive up and back from north of Baltimore, but may end up taking Amtrak if that last train home is doable.

I looked them up also when I made my post. Good catch at 197 - I missed Mattiace when skimming the rosters and agree we may not have a finalist here, so I'm down to 9 also.

Disagree with slightly with 165. Although Walsh is very dangerous, I think Cenzo wins going away against him. Brill is at 157 I think, but I don't think he or Weircoch pose a threat.
I wasn't clear enough: I think Cenzo dominates -- he'd need to have a bad match to lose before the finals, and possibly even in the finals. I'm usually a little cautious about freshmen until I see how they fare on bottom. And, yeah, Wiercioch is more of a pothole than a landmine.

VERY interesting...I'm guessing you probably need a housesitter...for that one pesky night prior to this tourney....and I'm further guessing you'd prefer it be a Penn State Wrestling fan...who can take housekeeping instructions via internet and appreciate timezone differences with southeast asia? I think I know a guy...
Sorry, The Boss already lined up a housesitter/dogsitter for the full trip.

Tom...thanks for the info...the last time we went to see wrestling at the Palestra we parked behind the building but I guess everything has changed ...are there parking lots at Franklin Field that might be available/...

No problem. Happy to help.

One correction. There are parking meters on 33rd Street, Walnut Street, and 34th Street. I remembered moving my car during WN1 Duals, but upon further reflection I recalled that I was also paying the meter each time I moved it.

As for parking, I believe there is a small lot (Lot #5) that is between Franklin Field and The Palestra, but that's frequently closed. You could see if it's open when you get there, but I believe it's pretty small, and also closed periodically.

In addition to the HUP parking garage, here is another suggestion:

University Museum Garage
corner of South and Convention Avenue
-it's across the street from Franklin Field, and you can get to it just after you get off the Schuylkill Exp. It primarily serves the Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, but it's rarely as busy as the HUP garage, and would leave you with a short walk (@ 2 blocks) to The Palestra.

There's a garage at 3201 Walnut Street, but due to the closing of Chestnut Street due to the marathon, I don't think you'll be able to get to it.

Similarly, there's a garage 3335 Chestnut Street (corner of Chestnut & 34th), but again, I don't think you'll be able to get to it due to the closing of Chestnut Street.

If the University Museum Garage is full, and you don't want to park on the street or in the HUP garage (which is pretty expensive), the next alternative that is accessible is a garage at 3801 Spruce Street (corner of Spruce & 38th; remember that South Street turns into Spruce Street at 34th Street).

Tom

Highly recommend using this (or the phone app) for parking options:
http://www.bestparking.com/

It's a little early to use it for pricing, but on game day its pricing for lots and garages should be good. For that reason I suspect it will capture lot/garage closures as well.

TL;DR version:
- 9 finalists
- 1 runner-up = 174
Nice writeup, not sure if you used this or not, but here's the participants for the tournament to help out (granted, these are just the starters from each team...)

http://www.wrestlestat.com/event/7253/participants/wrestlers

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT