ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Shorter now a 247 Five Star; #7 overall, #1 WR in 2018 class

Judge Smails

May 29, 2001
The new five-stars
justin-shorterjpg-ba4f870038113fc0.jpg

Justin Shorter – Shorter needs to cut out the concentration drops but the Penn State commit is the most physically talented wide receiver in this class and he dominated The Opening like he should with those traits. For that he's now the top ranked wide receiver and No. 7 nationally.

http://247sports.com/Article/Updated-Top247-for-2018-includes-new-No-1-player-53509397

Not that its rocket science that a kid with these measurable has the potential to be great, but the staff does such a good job identifying players early. I mean, Fields was like a 3 star when penn state offered him and now he is "the best QB at this level in 10 years." The staff seems to see something in these kids way before the recruiting services and many other schools do. I don't know if that is an indictment on the recruiting services or a feather in the cap of our staff, Id say both I guess. It seems that we offer kids and they only continue to move up the recruiting rankings.

He is a definite stud. I know I am getting older every year but he looks really young at least in that pic. That is always one of my favorite looks of a recruit.

Reactions: Judge Smails
I can't get over how well Franklin and Co evaluate talent, and early at that. So refreshing to know that PSU is set for a very long time.

It's also awesome to not have to worry about getting the best recruits for what PSU wants to do both on and off the field.

I for one, have zero worries in regards to recruiting. End of rant

I can't get over how well Franklin and Co evaluate talent, and early at that. So refreshing to know that PSU is set for a very long time.

It's also awesome to not have to worry about getting the best recruits for what PSU wants to do both on and off the field.

I for one, have zero worries in regards to recruiting. End of rant

Players have also kept up off-field behavior and classroom work. I know that wouldn't matter if he lost. But, I give Franklin credit for keeping PSU football what it's always been. Knockonwood #upcomingArtsFestival

When is he going to decommit? Seriously, CJF has been on top of these kids before they were famous and that is a good place to be.

If i am Fields, and I see kids like Shorter, Slade, Reed Kuntz, Freiermuth, and Asiedu coming to PSU I may just have to decommit my decommitment.

Reactions: Hotshoe and bmw199
If you get 6, you get 7. Extra points are almost automatic.

I do have one quam though, how do they drop Slade to 80th when it appears that he dominated at the event as well?
247 seems to be giving Slade a little bit of the Lamont Wade treatment where they under-rank him because he's a little on the short side, even though he shows up big time at camps and combines. Like Wade, Slade is still very highly ranked on all other services.

The new five-stars
justin-shorterjpg-ba4f870038113fc0.jpg

Justin Shorter – Shorter needs to cut out the concentration drops but the Penn State commit is the most physically talented wide receiver in this class and he dominated The Opening like he should with those traits. For that he's now the top ranked wide receiver and No. 7 nationally.

http://247sports.com/Article/Updated-Top247-for-2018-includes-new-No-1-player-53509397
Well, let's hope that Shorter stays loyal to Penn State; unlike the last 2 verbal 5-Star players who verbally committed to Penn State for the 2018 season. I still think we'll get 2 out of 3 of these kids, which as Meatloaf says...ain't bad!

Not that its rocket science that a kid with these measurable has the potential to be great, but the staff does such a good job identifying players early. I mean, Fields was like a 3 star when penn state offered him and now he is "the best QB at this level in 10 years." The staff seems to see something in these kids way before the recruiting services and many other schools do. I don't know if that is an indictment on the recruiting services or a feather in the cap of our staff, Id say both I guess. It seems that we offer kids and they only continue to move up the recruiting rankings.

And hopefully now that he is getting hyped, he doesn't decide to go to Bama. ;)

When is he going to decommit? Seriously, CJF has been on top of these kids before they were famous and that is a good place to be.

If i am Fields, and I see kids like Shorter, Slade, Reed Kuntz, Freiermuth, and Asiedu coming to PSU I may just have to decommit my decommitment.

One lesson he should take away from this summer - surround yourself with talent if you want to be successful. I just hope he doesn't try to recruit our verbaled talent to wherever he ends up.

One lesson he should take away from this summer - surround yourself with talent if you want to be successful. I just hope he doesn't try to recruit our verbaled talent to wherever he ends up.
right! hey that is my sig pic!

247 seems to be giving Slade a little bit of the Lamont Wade treatment where they under-rank him because he's a little on the short side, even though he shows up big time at camps and combines. Like Wade, Slade is still very highly ranked on all other services.
Honestly I think it is an advantage for a RB to be on the shorter side. Low center of balance is so important for a back.

Well, let's hope that Shorter stays loyal to Penn State; unlike the last 2 verbal 5-Star players who verbally committed to Penn State for the 2018 season. I still think we'll get 2 out of 3 of these kids, which as Meatloaf says...ain't bad!
U had to go there lol

Honestly I think it is an advantage for a RB to be on the shorter side. Low center of balance is so important for a back.
Agreed. I'm not terribly concerned about his height. He'll probably need to put on a little weight and strength to really be an every down back in the B1G, but Slade has the tools to be a very, very good back at this level at 5'9, ~205 instead of the 180-185 that he plays at now. And if he stays at 185 or so, his *floor* is basically a Mark Allen type of player - just way, way more talented.

Reactions: Obliviax and royboy
Agreed. I'm not terribly concerned about his height. He'll probably need to put on a little weight and strength to really be an every down back in the B1G, but Slade has the tools to be a very, very good back at this level at 5'9, ~205 instead of the 180-185 that he plays at now. And if he stays at 185 or so, his *floor* is basically a Mark Allen type of player - just way, way more talented.
Even a guy like Warrick Dunn -- at 5-9 187 -- ran for 10,000 yards in the NFL. Can't wait to unleash Slade and Shorter in Big Ten play.

As loaded as PSU's normal recruiting area is in 2018, 2019 looks pretty shallow. Opening up the south in 2018 should actually pay bigger dividends in 2019.

Maybe Mr. Dotson isn't happy to have Shorter in front of him, hence his recent pullback of sorts.

Doesn't matter if you consider the PAT automatic. He is not a kicker, so he can't score 7pts.
Sounds good. Not everything has to be an argument. I'm just excited about Shorter and the other offensive skill players he is coming in with for the good guys.

If you get 6, you get 7. Extra points are almost automatic.

I do have one quam though, how do they drop Slade to 80th when it appears that he dominated at the event as well?
So to my point on Slade, he was dropped by 247 from #25 in the country to #80 following the Opening where he won RB MVP over Ohio St's Jaelen Gill (formerly #33 in the country, don't know what it is now). It makes no sense. He was #25, goes out and wins MVP at his position at this national camp and drops like a rock in their rankings. ????

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT