ADVERTISEMENT

Just back from the game

mn78psu83

Nov 10, 2011
Not much to say. The game was very entertaining. Sloppy too. 300 yards of O in the first half. Second half. Oh well. The O is just a little better when Barkley is in the game. Just a little. A helluva lot better actually. Hack looked better today overall. At least he looked some guys off and found Carter for 35 yards. Also threw a couple of other good long balls to Blacknall and Godwin. He did miss a fairly easy TD to Godwin and an easy TD to Lewis - did not get air under the first and had an adrenaline rush rolling out on the second. He also just does not see Lewis when he's on the field. Lewis was wide open two other times. Special teams? Mixed bag of tricks. Obvious issues on kickoff coverage. Fumbled punt looking into the sun, but at the game it appeared that #3 took his eye off of the ball too. Punting was good and bad, Julius is a pretty good kicker. The defense played well for the most part. Reid had a tough time on the series that resulted in the second SDSU TD. He lost contain on the 55 yard run and was beaten - so was his help - on the TD throw. Secondary had a problem when #19 lined up as a WR too. Our DBs are much better at staying with the ball though. Hard to believe that Austin Johnson ran that all the way back. Does not usually happen that a 300 lb. + dude makes it to the house. I love the aggressive play of the LBs. Brandon Bell played with a chip on his shoulder today. By the way, why did SDSU not get a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty when one of their players (#20) was on the field woofing at Brandon Bell without his helmet on in the 4th Q? They missed Jordan Lucas a little out there. Apke was in good position though and looks like a decent sub. The receivers overall? They got more separation today. Some of the routes, however, are a bit telegraphed it would seem and SDSU jumped them a few times pretty good. Looks like PSU would successful having the WRs sell the slant and run the corner. Not sure anyone would expect it at this point. At the very least, it will draw a hold because the corner will be beaten by being surprised and confused. TE? Gesicki looks like potential all-world. Still hasn't put it together though. He had two penalties today too - chop block and a false start. Refs more than gave PSU a fair shake today. I would just repeat that SDSU should have gotten an unsportsmanlike penalty for having guys on the field woofing on Bell, especially since at least one had his helmet off and was on the filed talking trash. Four passes to the backs - 2 TDs (Barkley, Allen), good positive yardage (Allen) and one drop (Allen) that had potential for positive yardage. OL - overall improved and still a work in progress. This post is in honor of Bushwood (currently suspended, I think - rambling without paragraphs). I'm also having some wine.

Last edited:
Not much to say. The game was very entertaining. Sloppy too. 300 yards of O in the first half. Second half. Oh well. The O is just a little better when Barkley is in the game. Just a little. A helluva lot better actually. Hack looked better today overall. At least he looked some guys off and found Carter for 35 yards. Also threw a couple of other good long balls to Blacknall and Godwin. He did miss a fairly easy TD to Godwin and an easy TD to Lewis - did not get air under the first and had an adrenaline rush rolling out on the second. He also just does not see Lewis when he's on the field. Lewis was wide open two other times. Special teams? Mixed bag of tricks. Obvious issues on kickoff coverage. Fumbled punt looking into the sun, but at the game it appeared that #3 took his eye off of the ball too. Punting was good and bad, Julius is a pretty good kicker. The defense played well for the most part. Reid had a tough time on the series that resulted in the second SDSU TD. He lost contain on the 55 yard run and was beaten - so was his help - on the TD throw. Secondary had a problem when #19 lined up as a WR too. Our DBs are much better at staying with the ball though. Hard to believe that Austin Johnson ran that all the way back. Does not usually happen that a 300 lb. + dude makes it to the house. I love the aggressive play of the LBs. Brandon Bell played with a chip on his shoulder today. By the way, why did SDSU not get a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty when one of their players (#20) was on the field woofing at Brandon Bell without his helmet on in the 4th Q? They missed Jordan Lucas a little out there. Apke was in good position though and looks like a decent sub. The receivers overall? They got more separation today. Some of the routes, however, are a bit telegraphed it would seem and SDSU jumped them a few times pretty good. Looks like PSU would successful having the WRs sell the slant and run the corner. Not sure anyone would expect it at this point. At the very least, it will draw a hold because the corner will be beaten by being surprised and confused. TE? Gesicki looks like potential all-world. Still hasn't put it together though. He had two penalties today too - chop block and a false start. Refs more than gave PUS a fair shake today. I would just repeat that SDSU should have gotten an unsportsmanlike penalty for having guys on the field woofing on Bell, especially since at least one had his helmet off and was on the filed talking trash. Four passes to the backs - 2 TDs (Barkley, Allen), good positive yardage (Allen) and one drop (Allen) that had potential for positive yardage. OL - overall improved and still a work in progress. This post is in honor of Bushwood (currently suspended, I think - rambling without paragraphs). I'm also having some wine.

When I first started reading this post, I got, from a reading standpoint only, irritated at the complete lack of punctuation, but then I recognized something... the complete lack of punctuation. At first I thought Bushwoid C.c had been released and he was once again diatribing, But then I noticed no FLO's or Disparaging Hack references and I knew I wasn't dealing with the real thing.

Well done. I got fatigued after typing all of the above run-on paragraphs. I do t know how he was able to do that, but you do make one heck of an imposter.:)

When I first started reading this post, I got, from a reading standpoint only, irritated at the complete lack of punctuation, but then I recognized something... the complete lack of punctuation. At first I thought Bushwoid C.c had been released and he was once again diatribing, But then I noticed no FLO's or Disparaging Hack references and I knew I wasn't dealing with the real thing.

Well done. I got fatigued after typing all of the above run-on paragraphs. I do t know how he was able to do that, but you do make one heck of an imposter.:)
Bushwood is inspiring. As they say in the UK, he's a real one off.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
I believe it was Apke that came busting up inside on SDSU's first big run.....he had deep coverage on the near sideline and came straight upfield inside the hash marks. Took himself out of the play and turned maybe a 15 yd play into a 55 yd play.

Excellent post. Nice to see some football insights on game day when the malcontents and whiners take over the board, as usual.
SDSU put out a good effort and did not make me comfortable until late in the game. Their QB made some excellent throws when he had time. That mighty mite RB showed amazing power on a couple rushes for first downs. And why is it that a long kickoff return is always a ST collapse as opposed to an excellent play on their part? Congrats to them.
If Barkley returns, we will be fine.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
I believe it was Apke that came busting up inside on SDSU's first big run.....he had deep coverage on the near sideline and came straight upfield inside the hash marks. Took himself out of the play and turned maybe a 15 yd play into a 55 yd play.
Thank you for that. It was on Reid's side too. They were all sucked in and beaten on that play. At one point in the 3rd quarter, I looked up at the stats and saw that SDSU had a total of 63 yards rushing. 55 on that one play. Several times later in the 2nd half SDSU was able to get outside and upfield for good yardage. #22 had an 18 yard run on a pitchout.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Not much to say. The game was very entertaining. Sloppy too. 300 yards of O in the first half. Second half. Oh well. The O is just a little better when Barkley is in the game. Just a little. A helluva lot better actually. Hack looked better today overall. At least he looked some guys off and found Carter for 35 yards. Also threw a couple of other good long balls to Blacknall and Godwin. He did miss a fairly easy TD to Godwin and an easy TD to Lewis - did not get air under the first and had an adrenaline rush rolling out on the second. He also just does not see Lewis when he's on the field. Lewis was wide open two other times. Special teams? Mixed bag of tricks. Obvious issues on kickoff coverage. Fumbled punt looking into the sun, but at the game it appeared that #3 took his eye off of the ball too. Punting was good and bad, Julius is a pretty good kicker. The defense played well for the most part. Reid had a tough time on the series that resulted in the second SDSU TD. He lost contain on the 55 yard run and was beaten - so was his help - on the TD throw. Secondary had a problem when #19 lined up as a WR too. Our DBs are much better at staying with the ball though. Hard to believe that Austin Johnson ran that all the way back. Does not usually happen that a 300 lb. + dude makes it to the house. I love the aggressive play of the LBs. Brandon Bell played with a chip on his shoulder today. By the way, why did SDSU not get a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty when one of their players (#20) was on the field woofing at Brandon Bell without his helmet on in the 4th Q? They missed Jordan Lucas a little out there. Apke was in good position though and looks like a decent sub. The receivers overall? They got more separation today. Some of the routes, however, are a bit telegraphed it would seem and SDSU jumped them a few times pretty good. Looks like PSU would successful having the WRs sell the slant and run the corner. Not sure anyone would expect it at this point. At the very least, it will draw a hold because the corner will be beaten by being surprised and confused. TE? Gesicki looks like potential all-world. Still hasn't put it together though. He had two penalties today too - chop block and a false start. Refs more than gave PSU a fair shake today. I would just repeat that SDSU should have gotten an unsportsmanlike penalty for having guys on the field woofing on Bell, especially since at least one had his helmet off and was on the filed talking trash. Four passes to the backs - 2 TDs (Barkley, Allen), good positive yardage (Allen) and one drop (Allen) that had potential for positive yardage. OL - overall improved and still a work in progress. This post is in honor of Bushwood (currently suspended, I think - rambling without paragraphs). I'm also having some wine.
I hope the hype about Gesicki is justified. He has not played well at all in any of the four games. If Brenneman makes it back I think Mike will be the odd man out. Am also somewhat surprised Reid has gotten as many snaps as he has the past two weeks. Right now it looks like Haley would be the better option.

Excellent post. Nice to see some football insights on game day when the malcontents and whiners take over the board, as usual.
SDSU put out a good effort and did not make me comfortable until late in the game. Their QB made some excellent throws when he had time. That mighty mite RB showed amazing power on a couple rushes for first downs. And why is it that a long kickoff return is always a ST collapse as opposed to an excellent play on their part? Congrats to them.
Yes. I should have mentioned that #19 took some punishment. For a dude that size, though, he showed tremendous leg drive on finishing a couple of his runs. He was dangerous and I'm surprised he didn't break one. A tribute to the PSU D.

Thanks for posting. Since you could obviously see the entire field, one question - can our young WR's get open? Seriously, i know they have a lot of upside, but Millen commented several times over the last 2 weeks that they can't get separation. Did you notice the same thing?

I'd love to hear different in game music year over year. It seems we picked the same lame 20 songs +2 popular songs with the students and we play them every year. If we're going to pump in terrible music, at least mix it up. It's like there is a 90 year old assistant athletic director in charge of pumped in music with 20 buttons and he just goes down the line every week. We are FAR from the best show in college football. We don't even try, because STEP and loans from the university make it appear that we're making money. Wasting $35,000 on 10 seconds of fireworks every week doesn't change this.

I hope the hype about Gesicki is justified. He has not played well at all in any of the four games. If Brenneman makes it back I think Mike will be the odd man out. Am also somewhat surprised Reid has gotten as many snaps as he has the past two weeks. Right now it looks like Haley would be the better option.
One thing I've noticed about Haley is that he is always near the ball in coverage. Seems to have the knack.

Thanks for posting. Since you could obviously see the entire field, one question - can our young WR's get open? Seriously, i know they have a lot of upside, but Millen commented several times over the last 2 weeks that they can't get separation. Did you notice the same thing?
When opposing defenses watch PSU's film they are probably a bit surprised about our passing game. It is consistent in a very predictable way. The DBs are locked in on the routes we run. Nevertheless, PSU had a lot of one on one opportunities on the outside today and made some big plays and had chances to make some more. The thing that was disappointing was that Hack had some time on occasion to survey the field and guys seemed to stop if their initial route was unsuccessful. Those are the times when a receiver can really make something happen by finding a seam somewhere or just coming back to the ball on a deeper route. One of the problems is that Godwin, Lewis and Hamilton are not real burners. They are all really more possession type receivers, especially Hamilton. His speed is below average for a WR. Blacknall was able to stretch the field today with good results. In all fairness, Godwin did too. He just doesn't seem like a speedster either.

We had plenty of receivers running with separation.....unfortunately several were overthrown and several others weren't seen by Hack.

The lack of separation is often due to PSU's habit of running so many routes near the sidelines. The sidelines are a defensive back's best friends and makes their job so incredibly easier.

Also just got back from the game. At my brothers house ready for the first of several refreshments.

Our WR's absolutely have difficulty getting open.

There is nothing more enjoyable than victory. Of whatever stripe.

Reactions: mn78psu83
We had plenty of receivers running with separation.....unfortunately several were overthrown and several others weren't seen by Hack.

The lack of separation is often due to PSU's habit of running so many routes near the sidelines. The sidelines are a defensive back's best friends and makes their job so incredibly easier.
Hack did have two bad misses and in addition to not seeing Lewis, my wife pointed out Hamilton standing all by himself at the end of a play. He really was all alone. There were other times when they were not open at all too and did not keep the play alive by breaking off their routes and giving Hack a target. It's all for one and one for all. Plenty of room for all to improve.

Hack did have two bad misses and in addition to not seeing Lewis, my wife pointed out Hamilton standing all by himself at the end of a play. He really was all alone. There were other times when they were not open at all too and did not keep the play alive by breaking off their routes and giving Hack a target. It's all for one and one for all. Plenty of room for all to improve.

On the first bad miss Hack should have hit the trailing PSU receiver....he was about 10 yds behind the play, going down the sideline and no defender anywhere near him. A shorter, easier throw that also would have been a TD.

I'd love to hear different in game music year over year. It seems we picked the same lame 20 songs +2 popular songs with the students and we play them every year. If we're going to pump in terrible music, at least mix it up. It's like there is a 90 year old assistant athletic director in charge of pumped in music with 20 buttons and he just goes down the line every week. We are FAR from the best show in college football. We don't even try, because STEP and loans from the university make it appear that we're making money. Wasting $35,000 on 10 seconds of fireworks every week doesn't change this.
My problem is the way they break in and out of tunes sometimes. It is also an odd mix. The Black Eyed Peas?

Last edited:
Agree that SDSU has some players. It's hard to understand how they would loss to S Alabama at home.

Yes, he has been a real disappointment with his drops and penalties.

So even the guys who are not pure burners can have excellent game speed and instinct for route-running. Who is jumping out to become "that guy"? Godwin shows flashes, and I'd like to see more of Blacknall....eventually someone has got to get on the same page as Hack, and allow this offense to fully open up.

Exactly. Took a real bad angle and that enabled a big play. He did the same thing later that also resulted in a pretty big gain for SDSU

So even the guys who are not pure burners can have excellent game speed and instinct for route-running. Who is jumping out to become "that guy"? Godwin shows flashes, and I'd like to see more of Blacknall....eventually someone has got to get on the same page as Hack, and allow this offense to fully open up.
It appears to me that Godwin has the potential to be the best all around receiver in that group. I liked seeing Blacknall getting downfield too. Godwin is a good receiver in traffic, is very physical, and can get deep.

Yes, he has been a real disappointment with his drops and penalties.

I really really really thought he was going to have a breakout kind of year at tight end, similar to the breakout kind of year Nassib is having at defensive end.

Well hopefully he'll get his act together and play to his potential in the next eight games.

The receivers are very disappointing. Not fast, bad routes, out of position, poor blocking, etc. On several plays hack was scrambling and two or three are just standing around watching. On another play sdsu shows an obvious blitz, hack has to get rid of the ball fast and the receivers aren't even looking. Then hack misses Lewis for an easy touchdown but Lewis had stopped/delayed his route.

Going to be a long season.

Everything. is for the best in this best of all possible worlds. OK?

I noticed many long distance throws down field that were completed. Do you watch or just repeat what announcers say?

Reactions: Bobpsu
My problem is the way they break in and out of tunes sometimes. It is also an odd mix. The Black Eyed Peas?

Like I said, same freaking songs every week for 20 years. They'll be playing like a prayer every week until 2300. Sweet Caroline until 2400. The old people eat that ish up. Everyone under 40 thinks it is lame. Not going to sell season tickets to young people like this. Luckily enough old people keep donating like clockwork to keep the money train going. When they die, sandy and her 37 assistant ADs that do her job are in a heap of trouble.

Our radio team said Bell was getting jawed at because SDSU felt he had hit the QB late.

I noticed many long distance throws down field that were completed. Do you watch or just repeat what announcers say?
Both actually. There were plays besides the completions you mentioned where Millen reported that the receivers were not getting open...since we can't see the expanded field on the screen, I just wanted to check how accurate his analysis was. Others who understood the question have responded graciously. I'm sorry that you chose not to do the same.

Good observations. It was nice to see Hack taking more shots down the field instead of that horizontal crap. I will say that the short passing game does bring the CBs up and makes them so susceptible to that fake screen and go. But overall, it's difficult to watch and I keep expecting a CB to jump the route and take it for a pick-6. I don't know if Lewis stopped his route or what but Hack had time to set his feet and throw that pass and Lewis could have walked into the end zone. Defensively, another terrific effort minus 3 or 4 plays where SDSU got points. The long 55-yard play in the first half could have been avoided completely if the safety that went flying by had just kept contain on the sideline. They'd have had him dropped for a 2-yard gain.

Army hung 58 on the road at East Michigan tonite but that will likely be their high water mark as they had trouble against Fordham and UCONN. Hopefully they can use next week to get some more offensive cohesiveness and tuning since the rest of the road from there is gonna be rocky.

Did you say Wine?!? April Wine?!?

Our radio team said Bell was getting jawed at because SDSU felt he had hit the QB late.
Bell did destroy their QB on the sideline. Drilled him just as he released the ball. It was one of those hits that when he blasted him the QB just disappeared past his teammates on the sideline. He had to walk about 5 yards to get back on to the field. That's definitely why they were mad. Everyone in the stands around assumed that Bell's hit would draw a flag. I was surprised it didn't. It was close. Bell is a very good LB for PSU and plays with a mean streak.

Reactions: step.eng69
Like I said, same freaking songs every week for 20 years. They'll be playing like a prayer every week until 2300. Sweet Caroline until 2400. The old people eat that ish up. Everyone under 40 thinks it is lame. Not going to sell season tickets to young people like this. Luckily enough old people keep donating like clockwork to keep the money train going. When they die, sandy and her 37 assistant ADs that do her job are in a heap of trouble.

I disagree. It seems the students and recently graduated students, at least the ones in my section, love Sweet Caroline. I on the other hand loathe and detest it.

Good observations. It was nice to see Hack taking more shots down the field instead of that horizontal crap. I will say that the short passing game does bring the CBs up and makes them so susceptible to that fake screen and go. But overall, it's difficult to watch and I keep expecting a CB to jump the route and take it for a pick-6. I don't know if Lewis stopped his route or what but Hack had time to set his feet and throw that pass and Lewis could have walked into the end zone. Defensively, another terrific effort minus 3 or 4 plays where SDSU got points. The long 55-yard play in the first half could have been avoided completely if the safety that went flying by had just kept contain on the sideline. They'd have had him dropped for a 2-yard gain.

Army hung 58 on the road at East Michigan tonite but that will likely be their high water mark as they had trouble against Fordham and UCONN. Hopefully they can use next week to get some more offensive cohesiveness and tuning since the rest of the road from there is gonna be rocky.
On the Lewis over throw it was as if he was so excited to see a guy that wide open and the play work so well that he got just a bit a ahead of himself and let it rip on the run without getting enough air under it. He could have under thrown that ball a little and it still would have been a TD.

Hack is still in a little bit of a hurry sometimes and it could very well be the cumulative effect of all of the sacks and hits he's taken. He releases it a little bit early in certain situations. On one ball over the middle to Hamilton(?) - on the 2nd half series that resulted in a FG - in the end zone he could have held just a tiny bit longer and Hamilton, it seemed, would have broken open.

I still thought he looked better yesterday. An example of him taking as much time as he could and making a good throw was on a long ball to Blacknall in the 2nd half. Hack knew he was going to get nailed but he threw a really good deep ball as he was getting hit and gave Blacknall a chance, although the ball fell incomplete. Really showed his arm strength too.

Bell did destroy their QB on the sideline. Drilled him just as he released the ball. It was one of those hits that when he blasted him the QB just disappeared past his teammates on the sideline. He had to walk about 5 yards to get back on to the field. That's definitely why they were mad. Everyone in the stands around assumed that Bell's hit would draw a flag. I was surprised it didn't. It was close. Bell is a very good LB for PSU and plays with a mean streak.
Right...on TV you could see he QB was delivering the ball. He wasn't running OOB. LB was right in lighting him up. Bell didn't know if the QB was throwing it away or had a receiver in mind. A hit, as he's releasing it, could have had an affect.

Now, I think Bell goes a little overboard and will be flagged soon. When he makes a tackle, he brings his knees up and often walks over the fallen player. He's a little dirty. The game got chippy near the end and I think Bell was the reason. If I am CJF, I'd have a little talk with the guy.

Right...on TV you could see he QB was delivering the ball. He wasn't running OOB. LB was right in lighting him up. Bell didn't know if the QB was throwing it away or had a receiver in mind. A hit, as he's releasing it, could have had an affect.

Now, I think Bell goes a little overboard and will be flagged soon. When he makes a tackle, he brings his knees up and often walks over the fallen player. He's a little dirty. The game got chippy near the end and I think Bell was the reason. If I am CJF, I'd have a little talk with the guy.
He did the old "male dominance thing" to a guy on the PSU sideline in the 1st half and they did not call him for it. #7 and #27 did it several times for SDSU too. In the B1G that might be called, especially if there is any talk that goes along with it. The officials did let the teams "play" yesterday.

Reactions: BBrown
Our next door neighbor gets to stand on the field for the early warm-ups. He told me that Gesicki is the most impressive guy on the field in "warm-ups." He's chiseled out of granite and catches the ball with one hand most of the time. He said that every once in a while he'll catch a deep ball with one hand and if he's near the goalpost, he'll nonchalantly easily leap up and reverse jam it over the bar in one motion. He said everything looks so easy for the guy. Someone mentioned a couple of weeks ago that one of the coaches said that he catches everything in practice. Mentioned the one hand thing too. Here's to hoping that this all-world talent reaches his potential on game day.

Last edited:
Our next door neighbor gets to stand on the field for the early warm-ups. He told me that Gesicki is the most impressive guy on the field in "warm-ups." He's chiseled out of granite and catches the ball with one hand most of the time. He said that every once in a while he'll catch a deep ball with one hand and if he's near the goalpost, he'll nonchalantly easily leap up and reverse jam it over the bar in one motion. He said everything looks so easy for the guy. Someone mentioned a couple of weeks ago that one of the coaches said that he catches everything in practice. Mentioned the one hand thing too. Here's to hoping that this all-world talent reaches his potential on game day.

Millen made a point of saying he needs to learn how to block. There was a bite to his words. I get the impression the staff is sending him a message 'hey, you want the fun stuff? You've got to do the work then.'

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT