ADVERTISEMENT

Just a little trolling on a Sunday morning

Inspired by this thread, I watched the whole dual yesterday. The one thing I totally forgot was that Zain gave up two quick takedowns to Hayes (!) before running off 19 straight to tech him with the riding time point. It may have happened but I'm not sure Zain gave up consecutive takedowns since his two losses to Stieber.
After the first 3 matches, I remember thinking "this can't be happening" after Hayes' tds

For some light reading, go back and read through Bucknuts wrestling thread from the match...

Last edited:
I will say that I was a bit surprised and dismayed to hear all of the booing when Ohio State entered the arena. I say this possibly for two reasons. One, at UNI, we always begin every dual with, "Let's give a warm UNI welcome to our visiting team, _____" and we proceed to clap for them. Second, and perhaps most importantly, that's what the Sqwawkers do in Carver Sqwawkeye Arena, and it truly does make them look bush league.

Just my thoughts.

Reactions: Dogwelder
I will say that I was a bit surprised and dismayed to hear all of the booing when Ohio State entered the arena. I say this possibly for two reasons. One, at UNI, we always begin every dual with, "Let's give a warm UNI welcome to our visiting team, _____" and we proceed to clap for them. Second, and perhaps most importantly, that's what the Sqwawkers do in Carver Sqwawkeye Arena, and it truly does make them look bush league.

Just my thoughts.
That night was a bit atypical of our fans overall. The hostility was palpable (whether it was warranted is debatable). So was the booze on the breath of many. Most home duals I wouldn’t hesitate to bring my 7 yo son to. I was glad I didn’t for that one. Still had one hell of a time and enjoyed the victory immensely.

That night was a bit atypical of our fans overall. The hostility was palpable (whether it was warranted is debatable). So was the booze on the breath of many. Most home duals I wouldn’t hesitate to bring my 7 yo son to. I was glad I didn’t for that one. Still had one hell of a time and enjoyed the victory immensely.
And, I would believe that, which is exactly why I was surprised by the booing.

If I've observed one truth in athletics it is that the athletes and the fans reflect the coaching staff and the tone that they set. Cael, as an athlete and a coach, has always exhibited top notch respect, humility, and dignity, which is why I was surprised by the boos.

If I've observed one truth in athletics it is that the athletes and the fans reflect the coaching staff and the tone that they set. Cael, as an athlete and a coach, has always exhibited top notch respect, humility, and dignity, which is why I was surprised by the boos.
Now to be fair to our fans, the vast majority of the boos I remember from that night were directed at Ryan when he opened his mouth, which, considering how little he can help himself, meant there were way more than usual that night. :)

I think the fan base is just fed up with the phony piety and passive-aggressive bull crap from Preacher Tom Ryan.

Hopefully he takes a tip from his boy Jesus and learns a little humility.

Inspired by this thread, I watched the whole dual yesterday. The one thing I totally forgot was that Zain gave up two quick takedowns to Hayes (!) before running off 19 straight to tech him with the riding time point. It may have happened but I'm not sure Zain gave up consecutive takedowns since his two losses to Stieber.

To add onto that, there was a point in the dual where we were down 10-0 in the dual and Zain was down 4-1 AND Nolf wasn't coming out next. It didn't look good!! After that.....craziness

Just my thoughts.

Guessing you've never been to a Philadelphia Eagles home game. ;)

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state/Board/101483/Contents/PSU-Dual-Thread-Go-Bucks-114454906/

Also very fun is the longer thread on NCAAs.

Good old Noodle Arms underestimated again.
A few predictions notable for being so precisely incorrect:
v7y3Dd7.jpg

cseUlsx.jpg

The night I learned to never, ever question Cael even a little again. I was stunned to see Cassar get the nod, but Cael knew. He always knows.

Just my thoughts.
I agree. But I must say..I believe that was do to the Snyder tweet and all the hyp from Ryan. I am a season ticket holder and the booing is not a normal thing.

I agree. But I must say..I believe that was do to the Snyder tweet and all the hyp from Ryan. I am a season ticket holder and the booing is not a normal thing.

IMHO, it was due to the robes. As a general rule for duals at Rec Hall there is little to no reaction when the opposing team comes out. Personally, I thought the robes were cool.

I thought it was the best wrestling environment I've ever been in. I don't think there is anything wrong with booing the opponent as long as it is not going too far. It's not like objects were thrown or anything. And I didn't see any OSU fans mistreated and I sit right behind them. I'm pretty sure they came in expecting that given the way they had built it up.

Reactions: danoftw
IMHO, it was due to the robes. As a general rule for duals at Rec Hall there is little to no reaction when the opposing team comes out. Personally, I thought the robes were cool.
now that you say that. I do recall a few comments concerning the robes. I liked the robes also..Al thought I will say the robes would have been more fitting for RU to wear.

Reactions: PSUer1989

This post regarding PSU's Chances from the above thread held up especially well... :D

This was actually a good read. For PSU fans, it's basically 'so you're telling me there's a chance!"

All PSU has to do to walk away with a victory is:
- prevent Nathan from getting the fall at125
- hold Micah to a major at 157
- win both the toss ups at 174 and 184
- and then hold the reigning NCAA, Olympic, World and Yarygin champion Snyder to a major at HWT

Ok, I can live with those odds.

now that you say that. I do recall a few comments concerning the robes. I liked the robes also..Al thought I will say the robes would have been more fitting for RU to wear.
I LOVED the contrast of the robes and the intense staredown in the dark with our guys just goofing and dancing around in their warmups under the lights. Spoke volumes about each program, as did the results. :D

Reactions: jtothemfp
I LOVED the contrast of the robes and the intense staredown in the dark with our guys just goofing and dancing around in their warmups under the lights. Spoke volumes about each program, as did the results. :D
Even the guys who knew they were outmatched (e.g. Bo Pipher) were loose.

Reactions: jtothemfp
I thought it was the best wrestling environment I've ever been in. I don't think there is anything wrong with booing the opponent as long as it is not going too far. It's not like objects were thrown or anything. And I didn't see any OSU fans mistreated and I sit right behind them. I'm pretty sure they came in expecting that given the way they had built it up.
Yeah, but if you were a coach, would you teach your players to boo the opponents? That, alone, should give you a bit of a hint that it's bush league and has no place in sportsmanship.

Last edited:
Totally agree. The rigid, stoic look by the tOSU guys seemed to be an effort to conceal their nervous energy. Very scripted and orderly. Our guys, OTOH, looked like they just ran off the dodgeball court. I half expected Bo to run up behind Zain and yank his sweats down.

Yeah, but if you were a coach, would you teach your players to boo the opponents? That, alone, should give you a bit of a hint that it's bush league and has no place in sportsmanship.

So you think the PSU wrestlers were booing? If not, I don't get your point. Personally, I never boo the other team, but at every college football and bball game I have been to (and it is quite a lot) the visiting team gets booed when they come out before the game, mostly by the students.

So you think the PSU wrestlers were booing? If not, I don't get your point. Personally, I never boo the other team, but at every college football and bball game I have been to (and it is quite a lot) the visiting team gets booed when they come out before the game, mostly by the students.
No, the fans were booing, but someone said that booing is ok, as long as you aren't "throwing things at the team."

I'm simply saying that booing is bush league, and if we don't teach our kids to do it in athletic events that they compete in, why are adults doing it?

Booing is only acceptable when an athlete does something egregious like trying to hurt an opponent. Don't boo a wrestler/team for who they are.

Or, if you are a fan of Mr. Lewallen.

Last edited:
Booing is only acceptable when an athlete does something egregious like trying to hurt an opponent. Don't boo a wrestler/team for who they are.

Unless their leader tweets that there is no team he'd like to destroy more than your team. ;) I didn't like the booing, either. I thought we were better than that.

Reactions: nitlion6
In this day and age, if you have a weekend evening competition (w/ time to drink before hand) with a bitter multi-sport rival, and that rival has been pumping out bulletin board material for days of build-up, you're going to get booing. I agree, it's in poor taste, but it's unavoidable, doesn't matter what school it is, or what the coaches believe in. Throw in a few Ryan hissyfits, and well.....

Reactions: PSUer1989
No, the fans were booing, but someone said that booing is ok, as long as you aren't "throwing things at the team."

I'm simply saying that booing is bush league, and if we don't teach our kids to do it in athletic events that they compete in, why are adults doing it?

Ok we get it. You don’t like that tOSU got booed

Reactions: D3wrestler
Unless their leader tweets that there is no team he'd like to destroy more than your team. ;) I didn't like the booing, either. I thought we were better than that.
We tend to believe we are, but generally we like everybody else have those that are not.

Booing is a personal choice. Whether one boos or not says a lot about that person. The wrestlers from all teams work their butts off to get where they are. I root for Penn State guys, but I admire all the wrestlers. Last time I booed, it was at a ref ;).

I don't boo but -- REALLY ?? Holy overreaction Batman. It's not like they really care. Most of them probably want the negative attention and the intensity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT