ADVERTISEMENT

Joe never would have gotten Miles Sanders or Lamont Wade

nittany dave

Dec 1, 2001
I know I will get a ton of negative feedback regarding this post, but all due respect to JoePa (and I appreciate everything he did for Penn State), Joe never would have gotten Miles Sanders from Woodland Hills and Lamont Wade from Clairton. Joe should have been gone years before November 9, 2011, for football reasons. He was unable to make visits to recruits homes, and many kids had a difficult time relating to people of Joe's age. Again, this is no disrespect to a man who built Penn State football into a national power, not to mention the $4 million dollars he gave for Patee. Terry Smith played at Gateway High School, played at Penn State, and coached at Gateway High School. Kids relate to Terry, and Coach Franklin. We are extremely fortunate to have the coaching staff we currently have. I hope James Franklin is our coach for many years to come! WE ARE!

I know I will get a ton of negative feedback regarding this post, but all due respect to JoePa (and I appreciate everything he did for Penn State), Joe never would have gotten Miles Sanders from Woodland Hills and Lamont Wade from Clairton. Joe should have been gone years before November 9, 2011, for football reasons. He was unable to make visits to recruits homes, and many kids had a difficult time relating to people of Joe's age. Again, this is no disrespect to a man who built Penn State football into a national power, not to mention the $4 million dollars he gave for Patee. Terry Smith played at Gateway High School, played at Penn State, and coached at Gateway High School. Kids relate to Terry, and Coach Franklin. We are extremely fortunate to have the coaching staff we currently have. I hope James Franklin is our coach for many years to come! WE ARE!

More stupid.

Yeah, he would have been 89 or so years old.....and would have been retired, but hey - you got it off your chest....

The OP is making his opinion known to this message board community. I happen to 100% agree with him on the Wade point and agree with about a 90% agreement of the Sanders Point. Joe always ran a TB friendly offense, so perhaps the friendliness of the offense would have overcome the lack of visits etc.......from Joe.

I will make the observation that no way does tOSU win the 2014 College football championship if Woody Hayes was the coach of tOSU......that is not a disparaging comment against Woody, it is a statement of something that I believe that Urban was better at than Woody, in terms of changing offenses based on injuries or defenses faced.

Much like Narduzzi, I see him leaving Pitt in a much more positive fashion than Todd Graham, Wanstache or Walt Harris.

At the end of Joe's career he likely wasn't going to get too many kids who didn't grow up Penn State fans, but in his prime he got Lavar Arrington. So, you're sort of right, but no one really needed to be reminded.

Reactions: m48tank and BBrown
Thank you for sharing. Next topic?

The OP is making his opinion known to this message board community. I happen to 100% agree with him on the Wade point and agree with about a 90% agreement of the Sanders Point. Joe always ran a TB friendly offense, so perhaps the friendliness of the offense would have overcome the lack of visits etc.......from Joe.

I will make the observation that no way does tOSU win the 2014 College football championship if Woody Hayes was the coach of tOSU......that is not a disparaging comment against Woody, it is a statement of something that I believe that Urban was better at than Woody, in terms of changing offenses based on injuries or defenses faced.

Much like Narduzzi, I see him leaving Pitt in a much more positive fashion than Todd Graham, Wanstache or Walt Harris.

Talk about doubling down on a stupid topic.,..nice job!

PASSIVE-AGGRESSIVE

Reactions: 91Joe95

Thank you very much for your intelligent, non-insulting comments. Merry Christmas, Happy New Year!

Talk about doubling down on a stupid topic.,..nice job!
Thanks.

I take the original post as a complement to James Franklin's recruiting that he will go to Woody High and Clairton to make the case for PSU, that Joe could not or would not do.

I was there for many of the high points of the Joe PA era and have supported him in person and on message boards for his coaching and his ethics......Joe did not recruit these areas very aggressively, Joe did not believe that we needed to be in Florida, Louisiana or Texas recruiting either.

I think that this current staff would recruit a player that they wanted in Tallahassee, Columbus OH, Aliquippa, Houston, or Tuscaloosa......different philosophy that seems to work for the current staff.

Reactions: PSUTENN1
Why not agree or disagree with the post? Ad hominem attacks are too prevalent here lately. The topic in the OP is a topic frequently engaged in among fans that I know, nearly all who don't post on message board.

OK, my turn to get ripped

It's all about tone.
A good post on the subject would have been:
--------------------------------------------------
What do you guys think? Paterno in his prime or Franklin?

Ok in his Prime Paterno was coming off national championships... but in an even match who wins?

I think Franklin. I don't think PAterno was ever able to get guys from WP blah blah blah blah blah.
------------------------------
This is a discussion. The OP was just intended to flame and bash.

It's all about tone.
A good post on the subject would have been:
--------------------------------------------------
What do you guys think? Paterno in his prime or Franklin?

Ok in his Prime Paterno was coming off national championships... but in an even match who wins?

I think Franklin. I don't think PAterno was ever able to get guys from WP blah blah blah blah blah.
------------------------------
This is a discussion. The OP was just intended to flame and bash.

The OP is either very young or has a very short memory.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Joe never would have gotten Miles Sanders or Lamont Wade. I know I will get a ton of negative feedback regarding this post, but all due respect to JoePa (and I appreciate everything he did for Penn State), Joe never would have gotten Miles Sanders from Woodland Hills and Lamont Wade from Clairton. Joe should have been gone years before November 9, 2011, for football reasons. He was unable to make visits to recruits homes, and many kids had a difficult time relating to people of Joe's age. Again, this is no disrespect to a man who built Penn State football into a national power, not to mention the $4 million dollars he gave for Patee.

Your post baffles me. JoePa had told Spanier, as well as BOT Chair Garban, before the start of the 2011 season, that he was retiring at the end of the season. He asked that they not publicize the information, as he wanted the focus on his team in 2011. He feared that if the word got out that he would be the center of attention on TV broadcasts, in newspaper articles, and at each away stadium that PSU visited that season.

Since Joe intended to retire at the end of the 2011 season, your specific point concerning Sanders and Wade makes little sense, as Joe had no intention of recruiting anyone beyond the members of the 2012 recruiting class.

Are you trying to argue that a JoePa that didn't retire would be unable to recruit Sanders and Wade? Are you trying to argue that JoePa could not recruit talent like Sanders and Wade from PA, or from elsewhere, in his last year's as coach? What exactly are you trying to argue?

Why not agree or disagree with the post? Ad hominem attacks are too prevalent here lately. The topic in the OP is a topic frequently engaged in among fans that I know, nearly all who don't post on message board.

OK, my turn to get ripped

Because it's an opinion based on absolutely nothing. There's no way for the OP to support it or anyone to refute it because it is 100% speculation. It's like me saying if I had gotten a chance to play major league baseball, I would have batted .400. Try to refute that.

Because it's an opinion based on absolutely nothing. There's no way for the OP to support it or anyone to refute it because it is 100% speculation. It's like me saying if I had gotten a chance to play major league baseball, I would have batted .400. Try to refute that.
I'll "refute it"........

You swing a bat like "Helen Keller at a Pinata Party"....
no F-ing way you hit .400.........you'd likely never bust through the Mendoza Line

:)

FACT!!!!!!

(unless you have a link :) )

It may be fair to speculate that these Pittsburgh kids might not have come here to play for Joe. Scrap did a good job recruiting the area, as did ND, Michigan, WVU and even OSU. But we shouldn't act like recruiting was ineffective back then or forget that Terry Smith played for Joe. Franklin is getting it done his way, but he's selling what Rip Engle started and Joe Paterno took to the top of the mountain.

Are you talking Joe in his prime or Joe the last quarter...cause those are two different scenarios. Joe could have bagged any recruit in his prime...and he mostly did.

Reactions: m48tank and BBrown
Are you talking Joe in his prime or Joe the last quarter...cause those are two different scenarios. Joe could have bagged any recruit in his prime...and he mostly did.
Even in Joe's last quarter he bagged Lavar Arrington and Brandon Short. Lavar was easily the most heralded recruit ever to come out of Western Pa. He was sought after from the time he was in 9th grade.

Joe was a fantastic recruiter his whole life, even near the end.

Why all the disrespect for the guy that built the Penn State Football program??

In his prime...Joe would have got both these kids. Try to remember....kids waited in line for Penn State to come calling. Do your homework man!!

As Joe got old things slowed down, of course he did, but in his prime....forget about it, Joe could out recruit anybody!! Go ask Lou Holtz.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT