ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff Nelson is retiring

cvilleelkscoach

Feb 4, 2011
He retired a long time ago but has continued to pretended to work and got paid. I’m not sure if there is a more worthless character than him at PSU.

There were four sports information directors in the time I covered PSU football. I found Nelson to be very easy to work with and never had a dispute with him. He gave me, or attempted to set up, every interview I asked for.
The others:
John Morris -- If you didn't write for a newspaper with circulation of more than 250,000 or work for network TV, he had no time for you. I found out about a double-secret press conference in Paterno's hotel room in New Orleans before the 1979 Sugar Bowl, and Morris had a look of horror on his face when little-old-me showed up with the heavy hitters.
Dave Baker -- The best. He was too helpful and too upfront about dispensing player information. They kicked him across campus to the athletic business office.
Bud Thalman -- A former Buffalo Bills p.r. guy, he was major-league secretive. He had no time for me until we sat next to each other at the Outback Bowl against Auburn, after which he at least bothered to learn my name. Some people who interned under him got jobs at other schools (Temple for one) and continued the Thalman Method of sports disinformation.

Nelson's tenure saw several student assistants go on to work in the SID of schools like Minnesota, Florida, Vanderbilt, Princeton, Maryland and of course Penn State just to name a few.

Jeff is double-checking his most reliable sources to see if the announcement of his retirement is true or not.....expects further news to be announced in 7-10 days.

Reactions: Connorpozlee
I admired the fact that Jeff balanced the demands of autistic sons with work. He was always helpful toward me although post 11/11 he became a company man under the direction of Dave Joyner.

I imagine two people have been hired to replace him.

I admired the fact that Jeff balanced the demands of autistic sons with work. He was always helpful toward me although post 11/11 he became a company man under the direction of Dave Joyner.

I imagine two people have been hired to replace him.

The part in bold: That's what we love to hear. :eek:

Has anyone asked if he is "On the plane"? :)

Oh man, I remember the Maurice Humphrey "He's on the plane" fiasco but i forgot that it was Jeff Nelson. Wow, that was so long ago. I wonder how that Humphrey kid turned out in life?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT