ADVERTISEMENT

Jed was on fire this evening.

Rick76

Jun 21, 2001
For those of you who didn't get a chance to listen to Jed tonight, he was on fire about the BIG. He was especially vehement about the BIG cancelling football under questionable circumstances and data - not the least of which was the alleged fact that there never really was a vote.

As he became more animated, he got around to "why is Penn State in the BIG anyway?" This is the same topic that has been discussed on this board many, many times. I think his main thesis is that Penn State and its huge fan base and access to the big markets in NYC, Philly, Lehigh Valley, Harrisburg, Pittsburgh, SWB and NJ has done more for the BIG than has been returned. His points:

1. Having PSU in the BIG opened up TV markets on the East Coast. Prior to PSU joining the BIG very few people east of Pittsburgh cared much about the BIG.

2. PSU opened up eastern recruiting for the BIG (i.e. Eddie George, Ron Dayne, Chad Henne, etc, etc.)

3. PSU made the BTN possible and has increased its valuable immeasurably. (If PSU leaves the BIG, the value of BTN decreases significantly).

4. PSU has a more natural fit with the ACC than the BIG.

5. BIG made a huge miscalculation inviting Rutgers (rationale was the NYC market - no one in NYC cares about Rutgers) and MD (their fans want back in the ACC).

6. Many of our natural rivals are in the ACC (Pitt, Syr, BC, and ND - sort of).

7. Travel in the ACC is easier than travel in the BIG (no time zone changes).

8. Most of our fan base is in the ACC area from Mass to FL. There really aren't that many in the midwestern BIG states.

9. The BIG treated PSU like a leper during the Sandusky scandal. Jed said that a real commisioner/conference would have stood up for one of its flagship programs. Not only did the BIG not stand up for us, they piled on with additional sanctions and helped to damn near kill the program.

10. Frankly, IMHO the BIG has treated us like the red headed step child since we joined, so what they did during Sandusky was characteristic.

Jed went on to say he wouldn't mind seeing OSU join the ACC, too. That would probably force ND to officially join the ACC. Apparently, they are already willing to have NBC do a lot of ACC games this year - not just ND games. What a conference that would be with PSU, OSU, Clem, ND, FSU, P:itt, Miami, Syr, BC, etc, etc.

This is the same type of stuff that a lot of us have been saying for years. What he didn't bring up was the research university ties with the BIG.

This is all pie in the sky. But I have to admit I was surprised to hear Mr. OSU/BIG TEN talk about what a hose job the BIG has given us over the years.

He also said NEB must really regret joining the BIG and will most likely leave.

If we don't at least float the concept with the BIG and BTN, I have no respect for Barron and Barbour.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News