ADVERTISEMENT

Jack Ham: A gifted analyst.

rag195

Gold Member
Jan 22, 2006
NE Pa
i never go to a home game without listening to PSU’s radio broadcast. Love the guy’s comments. It is like receiving a briefing on each play from a guy who knows football. AND THAT HE DOES!!! Jack Ham is in the College Football hall of fame and the Pro Football hall of fame. Arguably the best outside LB to ever suit up. His knowledge of football is evident. Think of your best professor. Jack Ham is that guy!

Anyway, he said on a few occasions yesterday that the pressure on our QB especially when we were being outnumbered was not properly being diagnosed by our young QB. He needs to do a better job of reacting. Jack does not necessarily mean by his feet, he means knowing where to go with the ball when there is an extra pass rusher and we are outnumbered.

Our OL did a good job yesterday. We had about 400 yards total offense. This happened on a day when our QB was only 14-30 and was less than stellar and also to his defense had a few drops.

On D, he said that Pickett did a good job of stepping up and getting away. He talked about the excellent play of 11, MP. Of Cam brown , although he mentioned him taking some bad angles, his LB play was good. Our DL deserved an A for stopping Pitt’s run game. Their Pass rush with just 4 was good but they left their lanes.

Try listening to Steve Jones and Jack Ham.
You will learn much more than what you just see!!

i never go to a home game without listening to PSU’s radio broadcast. Love the guy’s comments. It is like receiving a briefing on each play from a guy who knows football. AND THAT HE DOES!!! Jack Ham is in the College Football hall of fame and the Pro Football hall of fame. Arguably the best outside LB to ever suit up. His knowledge of football is evident. Think of your best professor. Jack Ham is that guy!

Anyway, he said on a few occasions yesterday that the pressure on our QB especially when we were being outnumbered was not properly being diagnosed by our young QB. He needs to do a better job of reacting. Jack does not necessarily mean by his feet, he means knowing where to go with the ball when there is an extra pass rusher and we are outnumbered.

Our OL did a good job yesterday. We had about 400 yards total offense. This happened on a day when our QB was only 14-30 and was less than stellar and also to his defense had a few drops.

On D, he said that Pickett did a good job of stepping up and getting away. He talked about the excellent play of 11, MP. Of Cam brown , although he mentioned him taking some bad angles, his LB play was good. Our DL deserved an A for stopping Pitt’s run game. Their Pass rush with just 4 was good but they left their lanes.

Jack anticipated a tough low scoring game and that is what played out. He is almost instantaneous in his recognition of what went right or wrong. All of talking heads here and on TOS sucked down the blue kool-ade.

Jack Ham does know football and is what has me concerned is this. Jack gets to watch the team all spring, summer and preseason. He flat out said PSU has more talent and team speed than he’s ever seen at PSU. The fact we are struggling so much is a direct reflection of coaching, not developing the players and play calling. I’ve been a huge Franklin supporter, but this is by far the most talented team he’s had. Are they struggling against Buffalo and Pitt because of coaching, they are young or both? I’m really starting to doubt our play calling especially on the offensive side of the ball and the over use of substitutions is hurting the continuity and intensity a team plays with. Don’t RBs get stronger with the more carries the get? Hard to do that when you rotate 4. Brown and Cain each should of had 10 more carries yesterday.

Jack Ham does know football and is what has me concerned is this. Jack gets to watch the team all spring, summer and preseason. He flat out said PSU has more talent and team speed than he’s ever seen at PSU. The fact we are struggling so much is a direct reflection of coaching, not developing the players and play calling. I’ve been a huge Franklin supporter, but this is by far the most talented team he’s had. Are they struggling against Buffalo and Pitt because of coaching, they are young or both? I’m really starting to doubt our play calling especially on the offensive side of the ball and the over use of substitutions is hurting the continuity and intensity a team plays with.

To answer your question, is the transfer portal a reason for use of so many folks?

He said our OL did a good job hahahahahahahaha

You can’t protect the passer when you are outnumbered either in the pass game/rush or have a successful run game if you are outnumbered at the point of attack in a designed run.

Last edited:
I agree with Rag. I've been listening to Steve and Jack at the games for years.

I also think our OL didn't do a bad job. It looked to me like Pitt sold out to put pressure on the QB. Several times our RB got overwhelmed by a blitzing LB. I remember thinking several times that we really could use a 240 lb fullback.

With all the issues we continue to have, keep in mind that it took almost five games in 2016 for our offense (with a new system, a new QB, and a new OL) to find its stride.

Last edited:
You can’t protect the passer when you are outnumbered either in the pass game/rush or have a successful run game if you are outnumbered at the point of attack in a designed run.
Well we better figure it out because that is always our excuse. Several times yesterday they do that fake snap thing where the defense shows you what they are going to do. I didn’t see many adjustments once they new that guys were coming up the middle or they were coming from the left side of the Qb.
Now this maybe where Clifford is young but you have rahne in the booth and it is clear as day for him to see what is happening.

Later on there were more screens and fast plays but still like the dreaded 3rd and 4 end the game Clifford threw it long which they blamed the receivers? Kid is young make it a high percentage play instead of the Jay paterno 20 yard punt play lol.

Jack Ham does know football and is what has me concerned is this. Jack gets to watch the team all spring, summer and preseason. He flat out said PSU has more talent and team speed than he’s ever seen at PSU. The fact we are struggling so much is a direct reflection of coaching, not developing the players and play calling. I’ve been a huge Franklin supporter, but this is by far the most talented team he’s had. Are they struggling against Buffalo and Pitt because of coaching, they are young or both? I’m really starting to doubt our play calling especially on the offensive side of the ball and the over use of substitutions is hurting the continuity and intensity a team plays with. Don’t RBs get stronger with the more carries the get? Hard to do that when you rotate 4. Brown and Cain each should of had 10 more carries yesterday.
I mentioned last night in a post that Franklin has three running backs - Cain, Ford, Slade - who anybody in the country would have wanted, and a fourth - Brown - who is also a very good back. I like him. The way this game goes these days, if Franklin doesn't play them all, he stands the chance of bruising their egos (I don't know that Brown is in this category) and seeing them enter the dreaded portal. These kids want to play and they want to play now. The NFL is their goal, not a job as an environmental scientist. So he plays them and yes, it may undermine consistency and momentum, two of the aspects of an offensive game plan that I am not seeing. You certainly can't blame the lack of consistency and momentum solely to rotational playing with running backs, but I do think it plays a part. Our offensive issues go deeper and I truly believe it begins with an offensive line that simply doesn't play up to its ability. You can't tell me that the individuals making up the unit are poor players. They are not. But the play as a unit is mediocre. You can find excuses for the young players like Walker and Miranda (both of whom I like), but you've got Menet, Gonzalez, Thorpe, Fries, Freiermuth and Bowers who have plenty of experience. Why aren't they taking noticeable steps forward? On a consistent basis. And yes, where in the hell is a screen pass with this team? Makes no sense. Anyway, I'm no football coach but I've watched enough midget, high school, college and pro games over the past 50 years to understand the value of sound teaching and decision making by a coaching staff. I hate turmoil, but unless all of the "coaches" on this board are just full of doo-doo, then something needs to be adjusted. After watching yesterday's game, I think this team, beginning with the coaches, better look in the mirror real hard and set a course that's going to produce the kind of season they want.

Reactions: dgh34 and flinter
That might be true to an extent, but you can’t worry about that or it will cost you games during the year.

I believe that to “ manage” a program other than Bama, Clemson, UGA or Oklahoma RIGHT NOW, you have to keep your best guys 3 or 4 years. Probably should have said OSU as well. Why? They recruit the best so there is always someone to replace the departed. For the rest of us, You don’t always know who your best guys will be in a year or 2 down the road. Carl Nassib, for instance. Therefore, during your pre season, you need to be able to see what they can do. CJ F said as much the last week. To have 3 successive 1-0’s, and be undefeated is a great start to the real season.

It reminds me of the movie Hoosiers where the coach said 3 passes before every shot on the O. He had his idea. It worked.

When I played in College we were deep enough to have 10 OL who lettered my Soph year. They all played 2 1/2 Qtr s as a 1st group and 1 1/2 Qtr as a 2nd group. Good experience and they were fresh.

I think the rotational scheme that PSU implemented its first 3 games will have long term “ strategic “ and not just tactical benefits.

I believe that if form holds true that we shall see it the 2 next games to a lesser degree.

OMG I didn’t realize we all of a sudden loved the OL because the infallible Jack Ham said so

Watch the drive where Cain scores and tell me the OL is the problem.
@RyanSnyder s grade

OFFENSIVE LINE: There isn’t much to say here that hasn’t already been said over the past few years. The offensive line just isn’t performing to the level that it should be, even if there’s a few good moments here and there.

GRADE: D

Reactions: Phoenix lion
I listened to the game on the radio yesterday for a portion of the 2H while I was driving to a wedding. I didn't hear the specific comments OP is referring to but I did hear Ham's calling (predicting) of the screen play that PSU had been beaten with earlier in the game and his disbelief after it happened a second time. That's the only thing that really stuck out to me while listening.

We'll see what happens the rest of the way because we are 3-0 and that's really all that matters at this point. I don't think our coaches are getting the most out of our talent though. The only place that I can realistically point to as being a talent issue (I'm a stars guy so I'll go down on that ship) is the DL. Other than that, Franklin and his staff have been lights out at recruiting. JJ is the exception and I'm not blowing a gasket on a one off.

Long-term, we are in a GREAT position either way. If Franklin isn't the answer this job would be beyond coveted. The cupboard is stocked.

Reactions: hood220 and BBrown
@RyanSnyder s grade

OFFENSIVE LINE: There isn’t much to say here that hasn’t already been said over the past few years. The offensive line just isn’t performing to the level that it should be, even if there’s a few good moments here and there.

No offense but I would take Ham's opinion over whoever did the grade from BWI and anyone else on here. Part of his job was to pretty much diagnose every position on the offense and then direct the defense accordingly. As such, his only superior on the football field when it comes to knowledge is a QB.

No offense but I would take Ham's opinion over whoever did the grade from BWI and anyone else on here. Part of his job was to pretty much diagnose every position on the offense and then direct the defense accordingly. As such, his only superior on the football field when it comes to knowledge is a QB.
The point wasn’t Ryan over Jack it was pointing out that everyone has been complaining about the OL for years now and all of a sudden one guy says something and now this board reverse course it’s pathetic

Reactions: Phoenix lion
The point wasn’t Ryan over Jack it was pointing out that everyone has been complaining about the OL for years now and all of a sudden one guy says something and now this board reverse course it’s pathetic

I actually agree with you but I'd need to hear Jack Ham's comments re: the OL from a macro level rather than his opinion on one game. You're comparing macro to micro...his comments were just about yesterday.

FWIW, maybe I'm on here too much and see more than others do...or just pay more attention...but @gemrich hinted months ago that Limegrover sticking around for 2019 was not a foregone conclusion. I trust his opinion more than most because he seems to know the game and, more importantly, has sources. Don't forget the comments @Chester Copperpot made re: GMs thinking PSU didn't use their OL as effectively as they could. That could just be scheme or whatever but pretty sure he said that on here back in February or so.

I listened to the game on the radio yesterday for a portion of the 2H while I was driving to a wedding. I didn't hear the specific comments OP is referring to but I did hear Ham's calling (predicting) of the screen play that PSU had been beaten with earlier in the game and his disbelief after it happened a second time. That's the only thing that really stuck out to me while listening.

We'll see what happens the rest of the way because we are 3-0 and that's really all that matters at this point. I don't think our coaches are getting the most out of our talent though. The only place that I can realistically point to as being a talent issue (I'm a stars guy so I'll go down on that ship) is the DL. Other than that, Franklin and his staff have been lights out at recruiting. JJ is the exception and I'm not blowing a gasket on a one off.

Long-term, we are in a GREAT position either way. If Franklin isn't the answer this job would be beyond coveted. The cupboard is stocked.

2 other comments from both Jack and Steve, in regards to officiating, stood out. Now I know many thing Steve Jones is nothing but a homer but both he and Jack are very good at saying yes the Ref made the right call or no he didn't. Both were adamant that the PI of Reid was bad and that the muffed punt/Kick catch was bad.

I loved it preseason when Ham and Jones compared our defense to the ‘85 Bears.

Spot on analysis.

We don’t have to love anything just because someone said so. We can appreciate the strides that were made and that were pointed out to us by arguably the most accomplished linebacker ever to play for PSU.

Reactions: m48tank
We don’t have to love anything just because someone said so. We can appreciate the strides that were made and that were pointed out to us by arguably the most accomplished linebacker ever to play for PSU.
Hammer is arguably the greatest olb ever, but his love and excitement for PSU football often skews his evaluations.

I agree those guys are excellent!

Maybe we need some former State players as coaches then… somebody for the offense and offensive line… geez

Reactions: golferdad
2 other comments from both Jack and Steve, in regards to officiating, stood out. Now I know many thing Steve Jones is nothing but a homer but both he and Jack are very good at saying yes the Ref made the right call or no he didn't. Both were adamant that the PI of Reid was bad and that the muffed punt/Kick catch was bad.
And they’d be right. The punt catch was perfectly timed. Is it not reviewable? And John Reid PI was really ticky tacky AND that ball was nowhere near catchable.

Guys, please go rewatch the game. The OL actually held up pretty much all game. Every once in a while the interior guys mixed up their assignments on a blitz, but it was only a couple times. The bigger issue was that the RBs not named Cain were universally awful at picking up blitzes. They were lucky if they got an arm in the way.

Further, pitt dared Clifford to run repeatedly, and he elected to hand off. Almost as if it was an over correction from last week. Clifford also struggled to make accurate throws under duress. He was nowhere near as accurate as he was in the first two games.

The OL was not the problem yesterday. Rahne and Limegrover for the most part were not the problem yesterday. The defense came up big when it needed to.

Give credit to Pitt. Remember, this is a team that has taken #5 Notre dame, #2 Clemson, #2 Miami and a Penn state team that won the big ten, down to the wire or won. This isn’t a fluke. As much as you hate narduzzi, the guy gets his guys up for big games and they way outplay their talent level. They were prepared. Their plan was to confuse Clifford, and they did exactly that.

Yes, Cain should have come back in. Yes, we should have run a screen or two to combat the blitz. Yes, 3rd and 4 deep throw seemed strange. But these were individual instances of poor coordination. Clifford was off pretty much all day. And look, I’m like the president of the Clifford fan club. He just had a bad day. That happens, especially to a guy making his third start.

Matos was creating lane to step up when he played inside at tackle as he rushed wide versus in lane.

Hammer is arguably the greatest olb ever, but his love and excitement for PSU football often skews his evaluations.

That's crap man! I've listened/listen to almost every game on the radio, for the past 15 years or so, and if there's one thing Jack is not, it's a homer! He, on a regular basis, during his broadcasts with Steve, has to kind of bring Steve back down to earth, bc he is a homer(I love him though), with some real analysis! He's as honest of a broadcaster there is!

Pickett and Pitt were coached very well to let the DE's speed rush up the field and then step up in the pocket or side underneath the passing DE to the outside to buy time. We are missing the quick twitch DT. inside. Can you say Givens, Odrick, Hill etc. This is an area that needs to be fixed fast. We are going to face a lot of QBs that are faster than Pickett.

@RyanSnyder s grade

Fire Limegrover. He's had more than enough time to develop linemen and it's not happening.

Reactions: Coultr77
You can't expect 5 to block 6. You need a RB or TE to help. Don't call the RB and TE's failures to block an offensive line issue.
Apparently you can’t expect 5 to block 5 either or 4

Apparently you can’t expect 5 to block 5 either or 4
Rewatch the game. The offensive line didn't do bad when the numbers lined up. Sure there was an occassional breakdown, but what you are calling a line issue, most of the time it was a wiff by a RB or TE.

Reactions: AFRich
Rewatch the game. The offensive line didn't do bad when the numbers lined up. Sure there was an occassional breakdown, but what you are calling a line issue, most of the time it was a wiff by a RB or TE.
I guess I expect 4 stars to dominate 2 stars

I too have been concerned about the high volume of substitutions. However, after reading the post regarding # of snaps, it kind of gave me a CB look into future games. At just about every position , the number of snaps for each player tells you who’s going to be playing the most going forward. As an example, three of the offensive linemen actually played 100% of the offensive snaps. The post makes me feel a little more confident that free-wheeling substitutions won’t be the norm.

Reactions: AFRich
I too have been concerned about the high volume of substitutions. However, after reading the post regarding # of snaps, it kind of gave me a CB look into future games. At just about every position , the number of snaps for each player tells you who’s going to be playing the most going forward. As an example, three of the offensive linemen actually played 100% of the offensive snaps. The post makes me feel a little more confident that free-wheeling substitutions won’t be the norm.
What about Slades snap counts vs Cain and Ford? I hope Slade isn’t getting that many snaps over Ford and Cain.

A few comments. The biggest issue we had was a lack of success on first down and the predictability of play calling. We threw in the first half on first down constantly and they knew it and blitzed. We ran on second and long every time. The first half and they knew it was coming. Then third and long.

The second half we started off running on first down got into second and manageable and had better success. We still had trouble maintaining drives. But we moved the ball in the second half.

As youthful as we are it is going to take time to start to click. But we have to me less predictable and we have to find an identity on offense. As of now I don’t know what that is.

Quick jack ham story - we were at the team hotel this weekend. Ran into jack on the elevator before the game and struck up a conversation. He is a big fan of Our young linebackers including Luketa. He was extremely nice. So nice as to offer us a ride to the stadium with him. Great guy. Couldn’t have been nicer. Told us he thought Pitt’s D was good and to expect a low scoring. Defensive game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT