ADVERTISEMENT

Ivy League cancels all Spring sports

I thought smart people ran the Ivies. Or maybe just very risk averse insurance people.

no reason they cant just play the sports but have no spectators

Playing the sports requires practices, which requires housing and feeding the athletes and support personnel on campus, which requires food prepares and staff on campus.....

Reactions: Delco Lion
They are all trying to out do each other. Calm down for a week don’t panic...oh wait it’s to late for that.

Playing the sports requires practices, which requires housing and feeding the athletes and support personnel on campus, which requires food prepares and staff on campus.....
Yes we should al retreat to the bomb shelters and wait for the world to end.

Wow, if Penn can't participate in Spring sports does this mean that they can't host the Penn Relays this year? That would be a huge blow.

I’d wager that all the non freshman athletes live off campus. They can certainly provide a stipend for food (at a similar cost to the on campus meals). I mean These schools have double digit BILLIONS in their endowments. They can dig into that’s tiny bit for the benefit of their students to pay coaches and campus staff to work for them.

Such a shame for the kids In their final year of competition

Are they closing down all Ivy League campuses for the Spring? (I honestly don’t know and the way colleges are all trying to outdo the other in cancellations today, I wouldn’t be surprised ;)). If not, they will still have housing and cafeteria staff as well as support staff on campus anyway.

3/11/20. The day any remaining sanity died.
We might as well.....

Stop driving....the fans/athletes are far more susceptible to being killed on the way to the arena than die even if they contract the virus!

This is sooooooo overblown and out of proportion.

Why was none of this happening back when Ebola was a thing...which had a much higher mortality rate or any other outbreak!

Ebola - 44%
SARS - 9.9%
MERS - 34%
Covid-19 - 3.8%

And over 99% of the 3.8% are folks with underlying health issues or elderly

We might as well.....

Stop driving....the fans/athletes are far more susceptible to being killed on the way to the arena than die even if they contract the virus!

This is sooooooo overblown and out of proportion.

Why was none of this happening back when Ebola was a thing...which had a much higher mortality rate or any other outbreak!

Ebola - 44%
SARS - 9.9%
MERS - 34%
Covid-19 - 3.8%

And over 99% of the 3.8% are folks with underlying health issues or elderly
For starters 11 people died in 2 years total that had Ebola in the US.....through the whole thing. I mean that is just for starters so why you made that comparison is beyond illogical. So you're someone that isn't listening to how easily this is spread which is fine, you may not understand why they are doing this. You see jeff, if they don't do this now, there is a good chance hospitals will not have enough beds and respirators for patients like what is happening in Northern Italy and the Doctors are having to choose who lives or dies while their infected staff treat these people. That is why they are doing this, it's so that doesn't happen....and hopefully it doesn't.

I'm not sure how some people can be so blindly ignorant to what is going on, but they are trying to PREVENT that from happening. This bug is more contagious than the flu and more deadly, have you not heard that? It has just started and in 2-3 weeks 38 people died versus 11 in 2 years. There is no vaccine for this virus. There is no medication for this virus. So while we all PRAY it is overblown, the rational adults need to take precautions for those that think this is a hoax or not anything so they have a bad and a respirator if it hits them bad enough. The WHO (World Health Organization) and CDC has been steady about this only getting worse.......pssst, World meaning....not the US or the Media...group of international doctors are saying this. Not CNN, not MSNBC.....so maybe you should tell those Doctors where they are off or better yet...explain it here.

Last edited:
For starters 11 people died in 2 years total that had Ebola in the US.....through the whole thing. I mean that is just for starters so why you made that comparison is beyond illogical. So you're someone that isn't listening to how easily this is spread which is fine, you may not understand why they are doing this. You see jeff, if they don't do this now, there is a good chance hospitals will not have enough beds and respirators for patients like what is happening in Northern Italy and the Doctors are having to choose who lives or dies while their infected staff treat these people. That is why they are doing this, it's so that doesn't happen....and hopefully it doesn't.

I'm not sure how some people can be so blindly ignorant to what is going on, but they are trying to PREVENT that from happening. This bug is more contagious than the flu and more deadly, have you not heard that? It has just started and in 2-3 weeks 38 people died versus 11 in 2 years. There is no vaccine for this virus. There is no medication for this virus. So while we all PRAY it is overblown, the rational adults need to take precautions for those that think this is a hoax or not anything so they have a bad and a respirator if it hits them bad enough. The WHO (World Health Organization) and CDC has been steady about this only getting worse.......pssst, World meaning....not the US or the Media...group of international doctors are saying this. Not CNN, not MSNBC.....so maybe you should tell those Doctors where they are off or better yet...explain it here.

I applaud your effort but you are not going to get through to some people. Don't use stats or science, because that's just hokey numbers. The "I didn't get the corona virus, so it's can't be very serious" crowd.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT