ADVERTISEMENT

Ivies leaving EIWA

Other than Cornell and the Princeton if you count it's recent individual tournament success what luster?
True that's it's only Cornell, sometimes Princeton and a few random guys that pop up here and there, but it is a team trophy contender almost every year.

I also head-scratch about the Ivies' decision. A six team tournament? At least they can wrap it up in an afternoon.

Other than Cornell and the Princeton if you count it's recent individual tournament success what luster?
Other than Cornell and Princeton?

I mean Cornell has only won EIWAs an absurd amount of times and Princeton has been consistently a top 3 to 5 team there for a while as well. Add in a few qualifiers from Brown, Harvard and Columbia.

This is a significant hit for the conference.

Other than Cornell and Princeton?

I mean Cornell has only won EIWAs an absurd amount of times and Princeton has been consistently a top 3 to 5 team there for a while as well. Add in a few qualifiers from Brown, Harvard and Columbia.

This is a significant hit for the conference.

I think of luster as NC/AA contention. There's no doubt they are losing a significant part of school base and the more dominant schools.

Now Brown, Harvard and Columbia can worry exclusively about Cornell, rather than Lehigh.

Maybe not, but they have three top 12 guys at this point so not out of the realm of possibility.
Here are the non-Ivy EIWA wrestlers ranked in the top 12:
1 - Crookham (133)
9 - Beard (197)
10 - Taylor (HWT)
11 - Pasiuk (174)

DePrez (197) just re-joined the team, will certainly reach top 12 by season end.

So the remaining EIWA, minus Crookham, is about equivalent to Penn.

I'm not sure if it's still the case but I think Ivy schools at one time had different rules on red/grey shirt and scholarship money. Maybe that had something to do with wanting separate year end tournament???
Note: Cornell has dominated EIWA the past 15 years but Lehigh has won team championship 4 of the last 6 years.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it's still the case but I think Ivy schools at one time had different rules on red/grey shirt and scholarship money. Maybe that had something to do with it.???
Note: Cornell has dominated EIWA the past 15 years but Lehigh has won team championship 4 of the last 6 years.
To the best of my knowledge Ivy’s do not red shirt and also do not have athletic scholarships. Of course they do grey shirts and offer academic scholarships for athletes.

To the best of my knowledge Ivy’s do not red shirt and also do not have athletic scholarships. Of course they do grey shirts and offer academic scholarships for athletes.
Close. If an athlete is enrolled, they are using their eligibility (so, no red shirt as used by non-Ivy schools). All scholarships are need-based (so, no athletic *or* academic scholarships). They, like all other schools (except maybe Bucknell?) allow athletes to defer enrollment ("grey shirt"), or take a year while not enrolled (as Ty Whalen of Princeton is doing this year). The other big difference is that the Ivy League does not allow grad students to compete; this causes two things: 1) some guys will not enroll in the fall to avoid graduating and losing their eligibility, and 2) some guys with remaining eligibility on graduation will transfer elsewhere.

Reactions: goldenanimal
Close. If an athlete is enrolled, they are using their eligibility (so, no red shirt as used by non-Ivy schools). All scholarships are need-based (so, no athletic *or* academic scholarships). They, like all other schools (except maybe Bucknell?) allow athletes to defer enrollment ("grey shirt"), or take a year while not enrolled (as Ty Whalen of Princeton is doing this year). The other big difference is that the Ivy League does not allow grad students to compete; this causes two things: 1) some guys will not enroll in the fall to avoid graduating and losing their eligibility, and 2) some guys with remaining eligibility on graduation will transfer elsewhere.
Much better explanation, thanks! And the grad student part I missed is very important.

The Ivies have a Not Redshirt in name only. Usually the grayshirt involves taking transferrable classes at the local community college (which also has cheaper tuition).

Which is smart. No objection except for the "no redshirt" PR spin by the Ivies.

off topic to the most recent posts in this thread, but does anybody remember when the NCAA used historical allocations in 2021 but since the ivies weren't wrestling, nearly half of the EIWA got a spot at NCAA's? that was dumb

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT