ADVERTISEMENT

iTunes is such a piece of Sh...

AvgUser

Jul 12, 2016
Seriously. All I want to do is to create a new playlist on my iPhone. That means i need to see the music on my iTunes app on my PC

Where the F is my music?
Why can't i just F'in drag and drop frpm the mp3 folder in to iTunes
Why has apple made it impossible to listen to the f'ing music i own.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good mp3 player for iphones that do not require a PhD in Computer engineering?

Seriously. All I want to do is to create a new playlist on my iPhone. That means i need to see the music on my iTunes app on my PC

Where the F is my music?

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good mp3 player for iphones that do not require a PhD in Computer engineering?

I don’t really mess with playlists, but after reading your post I tried to set one up on my phone. Seemed pretty intuitive - New Playlist > Add Music > Then search your library by artist/song/playlist and hit the ‘+’ icon to add songs.

You would think.

It doesn't work that way on every PC-Device combo. I want to establish Playlist on my PC so i have them archived. Then i want to drag a playlist to the iPhone. It doesnt work as simply as it should; Not even close

You won't suffer much longer. Apple's phasing out iTunes. It's basically a 2005 product -- created to sell mp3s to iPods. It will be replaced by a variety of newer applications.

I have a wonderful mp3 collection but I will probably never listen to it again. Streaming is just so much better -- a gagillion albums and you never have to worry about shuffling MP3 files around various devices. Do a family plan and you have music covered for 4-5 people for $15 a month.

Reactions: Delco Lion
You would think.

It doesn't work that way on every PC-Device combo. I want to establish Playlist on my PC so i have them archived. Then i want to drag a playlist to the iPhone. It doesnt work as simply as it should; Not even close

Google your task. Bet there is a YouTube video how-to. Some computer geek will take you through it step by step. Did recently to put CD’s on a flash drive for my car. Damn Honda CRV does not have a CD player.

Agree that it is a crappy program.

The move from CD media to MP3 media was just a move from order to chaos. There was no improvement in the sound. The move to streaming is just more chaos.

Agree that it is a crappy program.

The move from CD media to MP3 media was just a move from order to chaos. There was no improvement in the sound. The move to streaming is just more chaos.

MP3s are compressed and sound worse than CDs (for the same mastering).

Reactions: mn78psu83
MP3s are compressed and sound worse than CDs (for the same mastering).
Yes. When music went to that format it was almost the end of making advancements that improved the sound. It is now solely about adapting the sound into internet-based IT and new devices.

You would think.

Agree 10,000% I was attempting to put together a playlist in iTunes for a 10k I was running last year and literally chucked my mouse across the room in frustration. Nothing intuitive about it at all. I simply wanted to drag and drop songs in a specific order on my PC and have it sync with my phone. Nope, don't work that way.

So as quoted below I did attempt to google it.

Google your task. Bet there is a YouTube video how-to. Some computer geek will take you through it step by step. Did recently to put CD’s on a flash drive for my car. Damn Honda CRV does not have a CD player.

When I did try to search for videos on youtube on how to complete said task I was met with videos that are several years old - tried sorting by upload date but that didn't help either as the recent videos are about setting up lists for DJ'ing purposes - none showed how to set a list on iTunes and sync it with your phone so it shows up there. Also, those videos that actually showed how to do it were 3-7 years old and worthless as iTunes is several versions past that point.

Eventually I gave up and put together the playlist on the phone itself. I hope whatever program apple eventually releases solves this issue, but knowing apple it'll be a $20 charge to put together your own playlist.

Would love to go to the Pixel 3 but the rest of the family is on the apple environment so I'm stuck.

I have unlimited data... been just using Spotify/pandora lately. I don’t mess with iTunes for music. Only ever had portable MP3 players so I don’t have a library started.

Playlists on Spotify are easy enough and have 85-90% of what I’m looking for.

You won't suffer much longer. Apple's phasing out iTunes. It's basically a 2005 product -- created to sell mp3s to iPods. It will be replaced by a variety of newer applications.

I have a wonderful mp3 collection but I will probably never listen to it again. Streaming is just so much better -- a gagillion albums and you never have to worry about shuffling MP3 files around various devices. Do a family plan and you have music covered for 4-5 people for $15 a month.
I disagree with this. I occasionally listen to streaming, but would rather listen to my collection. Having your own music is also important if you are somewhere without an internet connection (a plane for example).

I disagree with this. I occasionally listen to streaming, but would rather listen to my collection. Having your own music is also important if you are somewhere without an internet connection (a plane for example).
Most plans let you download for offline listening.

I keep all my ripped music on a 64 gig micro SD. Get a new phone, no problem. However, I have to create new playlists, which sucks. I have about 450 CD’s worth of music on the card. It is backed up X 2 on a flash drive and SSD.

I have used iTunes and it is a terrible program and always has been. I do not like most Apple products and use only one, my iPad. That said, I also don’t like streaming. I much rather random play from my music collection.

Most plans let you download for offline listening.

Spotify does.

Something that drives me nuts with Spotify is that you can only add 250 albums to your catalog. Why should it matter how many albums I have in my catalog?

I work in IT and iTunes is by far one of the worst applications ever created. It's absolute junk on a PC or Mac. They are only making it worse moving forward by creating new, separate apps for movies and podcasts, which means instead of one pile of shit you have three.

Apple has done a ton right over the years but they are far, far from perfect and with Jobs gone they've been getting worse every year.

If you get a spotify acct, your entire connection is likely at your fingertips and available to download also.
You could actually just hit the shuffle button and randomly listen to anything in your entire music folder.

Just try out Spotify (or Apple Music, Amazon Music, Tidal etc). All of them have pretty generous free-trial policies. There are reasons why just about everybody under 40 has gone over to streaming instead of maintaining collections of CDs and mp3 -- you will only find out those reasons if you try it. If you're like me, once you go over to streaming, you'll never go back.

As long as your collection isn't made of concert bootlegs, probably 85-95% of it will be on the streaming service.

So just make a streaming playlist from the same songs as your current playlist. There may even be a way to do this in an automated way -- Google it. If you have mp3s that aren't on Spotify, you can add them as local files to your own playlists -- I know Spotify supports this but I haven't done it.

Then, once your songs are in a play it's just a single toggle to download the entire playlist to your phone.

I used to take a lot of music offline so I could listen on the road -- but then I gradually found out that LTE coverage (at least over AT&T) is good enough that Spotify works great in the car over the cell network. And it doesn't take much bandwidth -- I listen a lot in the car and rarely use more than 2 GB of bandwidth a month for streaming. Often navigation takes more bandwidth than Spotify.

And if you like to explore new music, one of the great advantages of streaming services is that they have various ways to introduce you to new stuff based on your playlists, your favorite artists. You can even make a new playlist based on a favorite album. It won't all be music that you like, but you may hear something you like that you've never heard before.

And yet another advantage is that a streaming app on your phone can usually be controlled by the phone's digital assistant. Once you get the hang of it, you can play your playists or artists or albums while you're driving using your voice. I can't tell you how handy that is.

The biggest thing is to choose your streaming service carefully based on the features you want. Use the free trials. Because once you convert over and learn how to use it, you won't want to repeat that process.

Last edited:
Reactions: bytir and gamblepsu
Just try out Spotify (or Apple Music, Amazon Music, Tidal etc). All of them have pretty generous free-trial policies. There are reasons why just about everybody under 40 has gone over to streaming instead of maintaining collections of CDs and mp3 -- you will only find out those reasons if you try it. If you're like me, once you go over to streaming, you'll never go back.

As long as your collection isn't made of concert bootlegs, probably 85-95% of it will be on the streaming service.

So just make a streaming playlist from the same songs as your current playlist. There may even be a way to do this in an automated way -- Google it. If you have mp3s that aren't on Spotify, you can add them as local files to your own playlists -- I know Spotify supports this but I haven't done it.

Then, once your songs are in a play it's just a single toggle to download the entire playlist to your phone.

I used to take a lot of music offline so I could listen on the road -- but then I gradually found out that LTE coverage (at least over AT&T) is good enough that Spotify works great in the car over the cell network. And it doesn't take much bandwidth -- I listen a lot in the car and rarely use more than 2 GB of bandwidth a month for streaming. Often navigation takes more bandwidth than Spotify.

And if you like to explore new music, one of the great advantages of streaming services is that they have various ways to introduce you to new stuff based on your playlists, your favorite artists. You can even make a new playlist based on a favorite album. It won't all be music that you like, but you may hear something you like that you've never heard before.

And yet another advantage is that a streaming app on your phone can usually be controlled by the phone's digital assistant. Once you get the hang of it, you can play your playists or artists or albums while you're driving using your voice. I can't tell you how handy that is.

The biggest thing is to choose your streaming service carefully based on the features you want. Use the free trials. Because once you convert over and learn how to use it, you won't want to repeat that process.
But once the free trial is over, I would be paying to listen to my "own" music, right? Nope. I use the free version of Pandora for streaming, and it's fine when I have wifi. But there are enough occasions where I done have wifi (or wireless) that I would want to listen to it.

Unless mp3 cease to exist, I'm never switching.

Reactions: AvgUser
If you get a spotify acct, your entire connection is likely at your fingertips and available to download also.
You could actually just hit the shuffle button and randomly listen to anything in your entire music folder.
But I'd be paying for that service...for music that I've already paid for. Why?

1 word for you ...... "Spotify".

Much easier platform. More stable. Can stream or download over any access point. Unlimited playlists...

A few years ago I had a kick-a$$ music system installed around my pool in the backyard. I hired a company to install the speakers, run the cable, buy/recommend the hardware..... When I was describing what I wanted I told the guy that we did not listen to radio much at all anymore, what we really wanted was a system that we could a) listen to our ITunes and b) easily control remotely while at pool in backyard with our phones........... He gave me a strange look and told me to forget ITunes, and go with Spotify. I listened to him. Great advice. Been on Spotify now for last 3 years and never touched ITunes since.

Where the F is my music?

Why isn’t your mp3 folder part of iTunes?

Why isn’t your mp3 folder part of iTunes?
It Is! that is the weird, and annoying thing. Its been like that for years. No I cant get frickin' music to the iphone. New OS controls/restrictions? I cannot tell. What i do know is itunes is a piece of shit designed by someone who intentionally wants you to go elsewhere

Reactions: NovaPSULuvr
It Is! that is the weird, and annoying thing. Its been like that for years. No I cant get frickin' music to the iphone. New OS controls/restrictions? I cannot tell. What i do know is itunes is a piece of shit designed by someone who intentionally wants you to go elsewhere
When you sync your phone to iTunes, do you say manage manually?

I started using MusicBee recently. It's probably the best music app I've ever used, with lots of customization, skins, automatic lyrics display, etc. And it's free. It's currently only for Windows and Android.

https://getmusicbee.com/

I’ve never found Itunes very user friendly either. It would be nice to just be able to drag and drop mp3’s into your phone.

Totally agree. For as advanced as Apple products tend to be, ITunes is not user friendly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT