ADVERTISEMENT

It's that time of year again. BBQ grill recommendations... with a caveat

PSU95alum

Jul 27, 2006
We have moved back to PA from NC for 2 years and are renting a house (we rented out our NC house). I brought my Weber Genesis 330-SS natural gas grill with me. We plan on moving back to our house in NC in 2 years. Problem is, we have no NG hook up at our PA house. Even if I run a line myself (which I capable of doing), it's going to cost me around $240 for everything I need (line, couplers, adapters, quick connects, regulators, etc). Materials are pricey for the 75 feet or so I need to run. Being that we are renting, I can't justify putting that kind of money into what is basically a temporary gas line. So, what to do.....

Please know, I am a lover of the convenience of gas grills. I'm not going to take the time to fire up charcoal to cook 4 hotdogs on the grill, but I will fire up the gas grill for such things. That being said, I'm not against charcoal....it's just that I LOVE the convenience of gas.

My options as I see them:

- convert from NG to propane (not sure how)
- sell NG weber grill and buy propane
- buy a cheaper charcoal grill which would be our primary grill until we moved back to NC and then it could supplement our gas grill in NC
- I've always wanted a smoker (BGE), but can't afford the money for the BGE right now. I could justify buying the Weber Smoking Mountain smoker for $299, but then I still won't have a standard grill.

This board is the Obi Wan Kenobi of information, so I plead..... "Help me Obi Wan, you're my only help!"

I'd buy a $99 Walmart grill. They do an ok job, and 2 years is about their designed lifespan...

Always an option, but not sure I'd like cooking on a cheap grill after

cooking on my Weber for so long.

If I can convert safely for less than $100.....no brainer. Done deal! *

nm

Try the Chargriller Akorn. Around $299 and same kamado style as big green egg. The difference is the akorn is not ceramic like the other Kamado grills but they are double Walled and insulated. Used lump charcoal and hickory chunks with a heat defector and smoked some awesome chicken at 240 degrees, about 3 hours. Little babysitting, messing with the air vents to control temp but not bad, still new at this style of grilling. Opened the air vents when done to clean off the cast iron grate and had it up to 600 degrees in a matter of 30 minutes. Shut the vents and suffocated the Fire and had it back in the garage covered an hour and a half later later. Still good amount of lump in there for the next go. It isn't the egg, it isn't ceramic but for the price it really is awesome at this type of cooking

You can smoke, grill, sear, anything. I think I am doing a pizza tomorrow.

This post was edited on 3/21 10:10 PM by PennStateTurf2002

Agree 100% on the Akorn. I've used one for a couple years and will eventually upgrade to a Kamado Joe which is a much better value than the egg.
Best advice I've received on cooking on the Akorn is to not chase the temp. Set the vents and wait patiently.

PSU95alum, I'm moving from Alexandria, VA to Williamsburg next month and the house has a NG hook up on the deck. I've been looking at the Weber NG grills but I can't figure out the difference between the SS 330 and 310? Also, is the E330 the same grill as the SS330 without the stainless steel?

Thanks
This post was edited on 3/23 3:55 PM by jwlynn

CHAR BROIL SRG - This is the gas grill which I use to supplement my MAK pellet grill...

The cooking area on this is rather small, but for most weekday cooks, its just my wife and me...

Now many will scream "It's Charbroil and it's cheap!!!" and it is cheap. It costs about $200 and all I'm looking for is to last 3-4 seasons... this is my second unit...

The smoker box on the side fills with pellets to give a great smoked flavor. You can also utilize the interior to infra-red roast pork butts, turkeys etc... the infared cooking really does result in moist meats - pork tenderloin, chicken breasts (always Bell & Evans), brats etc...

All around, this is a real kick ass grill.... OK .... scream away!

This post was edited on 3/23 5:44 PM by flavorguy

Big Easy SRG

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT