ADVERTISEMENT

Is Michigan the early favorite to win Big Ten in 2022?

I’d think it would still be Ohio St as the favorite. Michigan would be next but, even though they beat OSU this year, they have to prove they can do it more than once in a decade.

Michigan, Ohio St or Michigan St?
OSU is gutting their defensive staff which everyone knows is their problem. They're bringing in that Okie State DC who was a finalist for the 2021 Broyles Award and paying him $1.9 million

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Where is PSU in that mix? They are fighting for fourth, clearly out of the top three to start the season. OSU seems farther and farther away.

Where is PSU in that mix? They are fighting for fourth, clearly out of the top three to start the season. OSU seems farther and farther away.
Big Ten East will be OSU and Michigan at the top. I think MSU slides. We have a shot at #3, although keep an eye on Maryland as a team that could win 7-8 games. Their O could be really good, but Locks will always keep them down a bit.

In the West, Wisconsin is the early favorite. Keep an eye on Nebraska.

They lose players that make a real difference. osu will reload and look the f out. We...? There are opportunities here but i just don't see it this year. Would love to be wrong...about us... pretty sure i'm right and um will not take osu down is Columbus. Not really close (33-16).

They lose players that make a real difference. osu will reload and look the f out. We...? There are opportunities here but i just don't see it this year. Would love to be wrong...about us... pretty sure i'm right and um will not take osu down is Columbus. Not really close (33-16).
Sounds about right. Transition year for PSU. Get the young talent on the field and build toward excellence in 2023 and 2024.

Reactions: ram2020 and N&B4PSU
OSU is gutting their defensive staff which everyone knows is their problem. They're bringing in that Okie State DC who was a finalist for the 2021 Broyles Award and paying him $1.9 million
He did an excellent job against Notre Dame today!

Trying to get to .500??

We desperately need a new start.

O$U. By a wide margin

Michigan and Michigan State are middling…no QB.

PSU will be battling Maryland and Rutgers to get to .500.

Nit bad when you have the 6th best recruiting class!

OSU has historically and consistently recruited very well and I suspect they will again be solid.

Awesome…held them to 35!
He didn't coach in yesterday's Fiesta Bowl. Oklahoma State had co-play callers on defense, and it showed.

If Knowles gets OSU's defense squared away -- and the talent is there -- then OSU runs the table in the Big Ten next year. If they struggle defensively, they'll be a similar team to this year and it'll come down to the Michigan game.

Michigan should be pretty good offensively but will miss a TON on defense. Their schedule is ridiculously easy early in the season, though. I expect they'll be in the hunt.

Michigan had a good year. A better year than us. Knowles is a great addition for Ohio State just like Manny Diaz is for us. I don't understand why people here seem unwilling or unable to give credit to other programs here but I'm new so I'm sure I'll figure out soon who's rants to ignore.

We are closer to Maryland than the top 3 in our division.

OSU is the favorite until someone can beat them more than once a decade. I don't think they're so far out there that Michigan or PSU can push them to win the division. Sparty had a great year but a lot of things lined up for them. I expect a return to 7-5 or 8-4 for them. Our schedule was really difficult in 2021. Going to Iowa and Wisconsin for the crossover games. Playing at OSU and and Michigan State. Only 4 home conference games. We almost survived the early grind but we were beat up after Iowa and never really recovered. Our secondary will remain a strength. Lots of good young players with some experience. Franklin has recruited extremely well there. PJ back in the middle of the d-line along with the young guys that showed their talent yesterday. We have to figure out how to run the ball and take pressure off of Clifford. Too much is put on him and if he struggles and one of the young guys comes in, they'll need the pressure taken off of them as well. Close games usually even out. We lost most of them this year. Hopefully we get the one play or bounce or call that flips those games to our side and we at least split the Michigan/OSU back to back games and are in the mix until the final week of the season. Having Clifford to start the year on the road at Purdue and then at Auburn in week 3 is a big advantage. Hopefully, he has a good spring and it comes together this final year for him.

Honestly this is a tough question. With the portal being in play a teams dynamics and ceiling potential can change instantly. Look at Michigan State, Tucker transformed that team with portal players and it has really changed the dynamics of football. Ohio State I would say is the front runner because of CJ Stroud , but I would probably need to wait until all the teams have their portal players in place to see how the field has leveled out.

With Clifford coming back, we know how our season is going to go. A replay of this year. OSU will win the BIG easily, maybe one of the Michigan’s puts up a small fight

Ohio State……..then everyone else.

Yurcich is BY FAR the absolutely WORST OC in our history. Our incredibly inept handling of the QB situation this year, and the regression of almost every element of the offense with the exception of Dotson and Washington, along with NO Plan B, C, D, or F when it came to adjustments, has convinced me that our offense will be stuck in mud for the foreseeable future.

Joe is probably turning in his grave knowing how badly the simple fundamentals of tackling and running the football is nowhere to be found on this current snowflake of a football team.

They are so bad fundamentally that I’m not even bothered when they lose anymore. I expect it. By watching the way they play, and all guys opting out, I don’t think they care either.

Franklin looked like he was attending a funeral the whole game yesterday.

Reactions: N&B4PSU and psuno1
Smith-Njigba looks pretty solid and Marvin Harrison, Jr. might be even better. OSU is still the class of the league.
Smith-Njigba is the best WR Ohio State has had since......Cris Carter? His combination of route-running, hands, and speed is next level.

They have some stud WRs coming in next year, too. That OSU WR pipeline won't miss a beat next year or beyond. And with the way Day develops QBs, gonna be tough to handle that offense.

Smith-Njigba is the best WR Ohio State has had since......Cris Carter? His combination of route-running, hands, and speed is next level.

They have some stud WRs coming in next year, too. That OSU WR pipeline won't miss a beat next year or beyond. And with the way Day develops QBs, gonna be tough to handle that offense.
It's tough to say because the Ryan Day offense is a much different thing than any other OSU offense.

Carter was a little before my time, as far as his career at OSU.

Guys like Terry Glenn and Joey Galloway would have been scary in this offense. David Boston.

Michael Thomas was good at OSU, but nothing like he's been in the NFL.

Njigba broke many Texas state records. I liked him better than Fleming coming out of HS.

4 the at best..we may very well
Lose our 1 st game of the year.. the. Losses to Ohio State.. Auburn… possibly Michigan though I think they just had an exceptional year in 2021..

Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio State are the recruiting juggernauts of this era. Similarly, Ohio State's coaches (unlike, say, Texas A&M) will not sub optimize their talent advantage. Given those conditions, you have to put your money on the Buckeyes at the beginning of the season. Of course, you still have to play the games but I'd rather be in Ohio State's position over any other B1G team.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT