ADVERTISEMENT

Is BWI gone?

I think I am missing something. When I went to join there it gave me only an option for a pay membership. Is there a way to create an account for a free message board? Thanks in advance.
Hey, before this all goes away I just want to compliment you in your choice of avatars.

Reactions: NittanyChris
Chris, I think you hit the login button and will then be prompted accordingly. It's very simple.

But if you click Join on the front page, which is logical and probably what you did, the only choice presented becomes a pay membership. Go figure.
Thanks!

Welp I guess with TMacs staying radio silent this all true ... Sad day will miss many of the folks on here.... Post links of where everyone is headed whether 24/7 etc...
I simply do not believe that there will be no website on Rivals website for PSU. Something will replace it and I believe it will have a free board.

The article upon which this thread is based merely states as follows:

"The premier Penn State fan site and magazine are moving to the On3 network on November 1, 2021... On3 is pleased to welcome one of the original fan sites and team publications to the network."

That does not provide much information and I have no idea what the announcement actual means when it states that the "premier Penn State fan site" is moving to On3. I take it to mean that the BWI "insiders" and website operators have been hired by On3. However, it does not say that Rivals will not have a Penn State website, it does not say that there will be no free Rivals message board for Penn State, and it does not say that Rivals cannot hire other Penn State "insiders" and website operators.

I saw a post above which accurately recognizes that the user base, if aligned, carries a lot of weight. Rivals has the user base and the formula for what made the McAndrew Board successful to the user base. I hope they can reproduce what Tom and Phil created as I really enjoy this message board and the rivals community they created.

I simply do not believe that there will be no website on Rivals website for PSU. Something will replace it and I believe it will have a free board.

"The premier Penn State fan site and magazine are moving to the On3 network on November 1, 2021... On3 is pleased to welcome one of the original fan sites and team publications to the network."

That does not provide much information and I have no idea what the announcement actual means when it states that the "premier Penn State fan site" is moving to On3. I take it to mean that the BWI "insiders" and website operators have been hired by On3. However, it does not say that Rivals will not have a Penn State website, it does not say that there will be no free Rivals message board for Penn State, and it does not say that Rivals cannot hire other Penn State "insiders" and website operators.

I saw a post above which accurately recognizes that the user base, if aligned, carries a lot of weight. Rivals has the user base and the formula for what made the McAndrew Board successful to the user base. I hope they can reproduce what Tom and Phil created as I really enjoy this message board and the rivals community they created.

Agree that Rivals will not leave a gaping hole when BWI locates elsewhere. When and how they fill it will be interesting.

No doubt they bought the data base. Which means we all should be getting emails soon inviting us to a new, wonderful world.

That happened because the Scout.com network failed. That isn't what is happening here. Having a $1 rate for a year's On3 subscription will cover all subscription renewal issues between Rivals and On3, assuming you're not too cheap to spend $1

I was paying for all 3 Penn State websites at one time. IMO someone at BWI needs to MAN UP and let people know what is going on. The ON3 site does not mention BWI is the site that is moving to ON3 but everybody knows it is because they are the only magazine since Fight on State failed. The $1 for a year is nothing but what is going to happen to all of the subscribers. Do you trust Rivals to stop billing you for a website that is no longer on their network? I don't. They should be providing the phone number to cancel your subscription before this site goes dark.

Reactions: BBrown and Sharkies
Un F’ing believable, I placed myself on a self imposed 6 week posting moratorium just for the hell of it. Now that I’m ready to rejoin the fun this happens. Now I have to go and see if I can get my paper route back and raise the $1.00 for the first year.
So they heard you were returning and ran out and sold the business?

I was paying for all 3 Penn State websites at one time. IMO someone at BWI needs to MAN UP and let people know what is going on. The ON3 site does not mention BWI is the site that is moving to ON3 but everybody knows it is because they are the only magazine since Fight on State failed. The $1 for a year is nothing but what is going to happen to all of the subscribers. Do you trust Rivals to stop billing you for a website that is no longer on their network? I don't. They should be providing the phone number to cancel your subscription before this site goes dark.

Have you ever heard of contract law?

Damn....sad day ....paid the 1$.....been here for a while and part of the plotting days...even met Scott E at a PSU NW game. When can we post on the ON3 ??? not working for me ?? thanks....peace !!

iu

No doubt they bought the data base. Which means we all should be getting emails soon inviting us to a new, wonderful world.
Maybe they bought the client list with contact information but I believe that is Rivals' property. The Rivals subscribers would have to affirmatively join On3 to become a part of their new website.

Last edited:
Who knows what’s going to happen, because we have no idea what’s going to happen

1. buying a subscription business is not as direct as buying a retail store. You have deferred revenue liabilities (if a member that you just bought for the new site cancels) who is responsible? and you have advanced projected and guaranteed income that may or may not come to reality.

2. You could be buying/selling a multiple of the following:

A. The buyer is purchasing just the brand/Intellectual Property. (IP) and maybe employees. This would not include the Rivals IT intellectual property because that is theirs.

B. The buyer is purchasing the brand as well as the mailing list. (Hoping to convert as many as possible to the new-new-new site).

C. The buyer is buying everything: Brand/IP, list of subs, staff, revenue channels, etc. (this includes the subscriptions recurring revenue and it depends on the contract between BWI and Rivals that we have no idea.).

D. I will say this: If #C is true, you can expect a little fight from Rivals in the court. But I don’t think that is the mostly likely scenario from the above.

My guess:
1. Some staff is going to ON3

2. Rivals will be launching a new PSU board in the coming weeks and carry over the subscriptions, but it under a new name.

3. Any Den staff members post over here on the Mac might be moving on from Rivals to the new site.
3.5. They may already have a staff in place and don’t need/want BWI guys.

4. I hope the Mac board remains here, but am willing to travel.

It really comes down to the deal between BWI and rivals; who owns the customer? Maybe the rival deal was just a processing fee surcharge during the length of the contract? Who knows and we won’t

Reactions: Sharkies
You and anybody who LIKED your best will miss me the most!
I won’t miss you because you’ll end up wherever we all end up. On a semi-related note: I sit on an advisory board for an academic research center, and there was talk today of reaching out to Roy Williams to serve as an external advisor. Obviously, I had to make a motion saying that, if we do that, we have to make a similar invitation to Coach K this time next year. And get this - The motion passed! I doubt Coach Roy will accept but, if he does, I’ll be sure to tell him how much he let you down.

Never left Audibles so I just checked back in over there. How many are heading there?

man I haven't been to Audibles in so long. I am going to wait to see how this plays out but I may be joining the CAC that Marshall is putting together over there

They got my $1. Not sure I'll cough up $100 though. It's going to have to be a significant upgrade to BWI

What moron came up with this plan? Let's have a meaningless entry fee followed by a 10,000% increase after one year. I'm sure they won't lose 99+% of their customers on the 364th day.

they probably host their site on a collection of 40 hours of free AOL CDs

What moron came up with this plan? Let's have a meaningless entry fee followed by a 10,000% increase after one year. I'm sure they won't lose 99+% of their customers on the 364th day.

they probably host their site on a collection of 40 hours of free AOL CDs
I’m assuming that the $1.00 promo automatically renews at the $100.00 rate when the promo period expires?

Why don’t we all just go to the pitt board on Rivals? I have no doubt they would take us in from the cold in our time of need. In The Day After Tomorrow, the U.S. government was allowed to set up shop in Mexico. Same thing.

Looking at the new site and see they are offering one year for $1 or four months for $1. Tough decision. 🤔
You're right, Who would want to sign up for a year and be stuck on the new board for 8 more months if it wasn't worthwhile?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT