ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana buying out 2 of 3 games with Louisville

RickinDayton

May 29, 2001
IU & LOUISVILLE are playing this weekend in Indianapolis but IU opted to pay "the ville" $1 million to cancel 2024 & 2025 games. The 2024 &2025 games were a home & home series
PSU should contact Louisville to pick up one of those games and get Louisville to come to Happy Valley.

No idea if it's true, but I would bet this has something to do with the future schedules coming out. IE going to 10 conference games.

I'm extremely skeptical that the Big Ten would go to 10 conference games while the SEC (and ACC) remains at 8. That's a big disadvantage for Big Ten teams.

Furthermore, if the SEC is any indication, the conference can leverage increased conference games to more TV money. The SEC says they will go to 9 games if ESPN will pay them more. I would expect the Big Ten to make the same argument and not just increase it on their own.

IU & LOUISVILLE are playing this weekend in Indianapolis but IU opted to pay "the ville" $1 million to cancel 2024 & 2025 games. The 2024 &2025 games were a home & home series
PSU should contact Louisville to pick up one of those games and get Louisville to come to Happy Valley.

Louisville wouldn't be the greatest pickup. But we do need a real team for 2025/26. We need to buy our Temple - which was an awful stupid deal to make - and get a P5 team those years instead.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bowling Green and Kent State are bought out for 2024. Also, i

I feel we will definitely go to 10 conference games and the other two games will have to be cupcakes like Temple.

If I had to guess, Louisville isn’t completely mad with this because the ACC will probably be moving to nine conference games next year and they wouldn’t want to play 11 P5 (P4?) opponents in the same season since they play in-state rival Kentucky annually (which would be their preferred non-conference P4 game).

I'm extremely skeptical that the Big Ten would go to 10 conference games while the SEC (and ACC) remains at 8. That's a big disadvantage for Big Ten teams.

Furthermore, if the SEC is any indication, the conference can leverage increased conference games to more TV money. The SEC says they will go to 9 games if ESPN will pay them more. I would expect the Big Ten to make the same argument and not just increase it on their own.

We've been playing 9 with no regard for the SEC playing 8. What is 1 more? Particularly when we have more feature spots to fill in the new contract.

Any thoughts why they canceled? I just three out my first one.

Reactions: stf110
Any thoughts why they canceled? I just three out my first one.
I think they simply want an easier schedule. With the conference games likely averaging a bit tougher with the new additions, they are probably looking for a way to get some easier wins. Replace Louisville with 2 cupcakes.

We've been playing 9 with no regard for the SEC playing 8. What is 1 more? Particularly when we have more feature spots to fill in the new contract.

More spots to fill, sure, but also a bunch more teams. Adding USC, Oregon and Washington (and UCLA is a decent next tier) will help with the available inventory regardless of changing the number of conference games.

But shifting to 10 conference games when the SEC is at 8 is a sizable disadvantage. And the CFP committee has shown little care regarding true strength of schedule or number of Power 5 teams played. I’d be pretty surprised if the Big Ten goes to 10 conference games unless FOX and company approve a significant increase to payouts per team.

Reactions: lazydave841
Louisville wouldn't be the greatest pickup. But we do need a real team for 2025/26. We need to buy our Temple - which was an awful stupid deal to make - and get a P5 team those years instead.
Nope, we need the easy win, or haven't you been paying attention.

IMHO, the team we should be talking to is Notre Dame. They still need some games and would fit in perfectly for a game in Happy Valley in 2025 and then one in South Bend in 2026 (the Irish need home games that year). Buy out Temple and make that happen Mr. Kraft!

Last edited:
Reactions: lazydave841
In the past, I was going to suggest scheduling Washington in 2025/26 (Ohio State backed out of a series with them around that time) but that's no longer feasible with them joining the Big Ten.

But some of the other conference moves may open up some opportunities. For example, BYU and Utah were scheduled to play every year but will now in in the same conference. I wouldn't mind picking up one of them for a home and home in 2025/26.

Reactions: nittanymoops
Here's the consequences on moving to 10 Big10 games. The schedule would be 5 home 5 away. PSU needs 7 home games a year so that would only allow for schools who wouldn't want a return game. Those two games would be MAC type games, no Power 5 types going forward.

Financially speaking whatever it is it’s not very cost effective. Schedule either a tomato can or a legitimate opponent. Then because of changing circumstances you pay the original team not to show up. Then you either pay or share some revenue with the team that does show up. Thus increasing your costs without a significant increase in revenue. Do athletics directors do investment consulting on the side?

Btw how much did uva pay to buy us out of the visit
Financially speaking whatever it is it’s not very cost effective. Schedule either a tomato can or a legitimate opponent. Then because of changing circumstances you pay the original team not to show up. Then you either pay or share some revenue with the team that does show up. Thus increasing your costs without a significant increase in revenue. Do athletics directors do investment consulting on the side?
How much did uva pay us to buy us out of the trip to psu? Smh one Sandy’s blunders. I asked her about it once - no real response

Reactions: doctornick
IMHO, the team we should be talking to is Notre Dame. They still need some games and would fit in perfectly for a game in Happy Valley in 2025 and then one in South Bend in 2026 (the Irish need home games that year). Buy out Temple and make that happen Mr. Kraft!
"Forgettabout" ND. They need to join a league.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT