In the face of most Democrats' opposition, US Steel cancels a billion-dollar investment

royboy

Nov 9, 2001
Lewisville, NC
It involved a whopping $1.5 billion upgrade to its Mon Valley Works. This included an upgrade of the Edgar Thomson Works in Braddock, the Irvin Plant in West Mifflin, and Clairton Coke Works, with technology and improvements that would have provided cleaner air for all three communities where the plants are located, as well as good-paying jobs that would have provided prosperity for the region for decades.

On Friday, U.S. Steel said after months of tug-of-war with the Allegheny County Health Department, it is canceling the $1.5 billion upgrade and idling three batteries at Clairton Coke Works by 2023.

U.S. Steel said in a statement that a dragged-out delay from Allegheny County officials for permitting the project contributed to their decision, along with the new direction that the company is taking to focus on sustainability.

Allegheny County chief executive Rich Fitzgerald, a city Democrat, said he was “blindsided by the news.”

Lt. Gov. John Fetterman, also a Democrat, said he was simply devastated. “It is heartbreaking,” said Fetterman, whose home is across the street from the sprawling 148-year-old Edgar Thomson Works that hugs the Monongahela River.

Local economic development forecasters estimate over 1,000 direct jobs will be lost. Countless more support jobs that would have facilitated the build-out are also gone.

PaoliLion

Nov 2, 2003
It involved a whopping $1.5 billion upgrade to its Mon Valley Works. This included an upgrade of the Edgar Thomson Works in Braddock, the Irvin Plant in West Mifflin, and Clairton Coke Works, with technology and improvements that would have provided cleaner air for all three communities where the plants are located, as well as good-paying jobs that would have provided prosperity for the region for decades.

On Friday, U.S. Steel said after months of tug-of-war with the Allegheny County Health Department, it is canceling the $1.5 billion upgrade and idling three batteries at Clairton Coke Works by 2023.

U.S. Steel said in a statement that a dragged-out delay from Allegheny County officials for permitting the project contributed to their decision, along with the new direction that the company is taking to focus on sustainability.

Allegheny County chief executive Rich Fitzgerald, a city Democrat, said he was “blindsided by the news.”

Lt. Gov. John Fetterman, also a Democrat, said he was simply devastated. “It is heartbreaking,” said Fetterman, whose home is across the street from the sprawling 148-year-old Edgar Thomson Works that hugs the Monongahela River.

Local economic development forecasters estimate over 1,000 direct jobs will be lost. Countless more support jobs that would have facilitated the build-out are also gone.

I didn’t know US Steel was still around. So much for all of those Trump promises to save industries like these...

TN Lion

Sep 6, 2001
Talk about screwing up big time. Back when I lived in Pittsburgh, I heard more than once of companies interested in setting up shop there, being chased away. It sealed my commitment that I would leave the city and head for greener pastures. So what did the union leadership do here to try to save those jobs? The article makes no mention. Glad I left that shithole of corruption, high taxes and jobs killing idiots.

Cosmos

May 29, 2001
Mother Nature - 1

US Steel and pollution - 0
Or another way of looking at it is this...

Texas - 1
PA - 0

Keeping sending good-paying jobs away to Texas and other sunbelt states. Unions used to be the only impediment to manufacturing. Now it's the tree-huggers.

Reactions: Hotshoe

BicyclePete

May 29, 2001
First Ford, then Chevy, now US Steel, which $1 billion investment in the US economy is next on the chopping block?

You voted for this democrats and if you did, you're an idiot.

Hotshoe

Administrator
Gold Member
Feb 15, 2012
Mother Nature - 1

Do you drive a car? It's made of steel. You really aren't very bright. I cannot believe you post stuff this ignorant. While you're at it, turn your power off to your house. It's provided by the production of steel. You and your bud here are 2 pieces of work. Both disingenuous as hell.

olelion

Jun 10, 2001
Tarpon Springs Fl
Talk about screwing up big time. Back when I lived in Pittsburgh, I heard more than once of companies interested in setting up shop there, being chased away. It sealed my commitment that I would leave the city and head for greener pastures. So what did the union leadership do here to try to save those jobs? The article makes no mention. Glad I left that shithole of corruption, high taxes and jobs killing idiots.
Honestly, I really don't think wages/unions are an issue to development and expansions anymore. It's the whole regulatory environment. Realistic relaxations can do wonders without harm to individuals or the environment. I give you Operation Warp Speed. It was afforded a smooth ride through the regulatory environment.

Osprey Lion

Dec 16, 2011
Osprey, Florida
Then why did you move to God forsaken Tennessee?

Osprey Lion

Dec 16, 2011
Osprey, Florida
Do you drive a car? It's made of steel. You really aren't very bright. I cannot believe you post stuff this ignorant. While you're at it, turn your power off to your house. It's provided by the production of steel. You and your bud here are 2 pieces of work. Both disingenuous as hell.
Perhaps they should build a steel mill next to your property hypocrite.

Hotshoe

Administrator
Gold Member
Feb 15, 2012
Perhaps they should build a steel mill next to your property hypocrite.
The plant already exists. I choose not to live in a city. Don't like cities, don't live in one. You work in an office, it was built with steel. Hypocrite.

junior1

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
First Ford, then Chevy, now US Steel, which $1 billion investment in the US economy is next on the chopping block?

You voted for this democrats and if you did, you're an idiot.
you didn't mention INTEL which is investing $10 billion in Israel for chip manufacturing

Reactions: The Spin Meister

olelion

Jun 10, 2001
Tarpon Springs Fl
Those coke ovens have been there for over one hundred years. So why does anyone living there have the right to complain about any pollution it emits? There is cheap housing in a dozen different towns along the Mon River.
The idiot Osprey is an expert on everything. I should have know the phucking idiot includes steel expertise on his resume

olelion

Jun 10, 2001
Tarpon Springs Fl
Those coke ovens have been there for over one hundred years. So why does anyone living there have the right to complain about any pollution it emits? There is cheap housing in a dozen different towns along the Mon River.

Unless you have dealt directly with the regulatory agencies from federal to local you have no idea how ridiculous it is

royboy

Nov 9, 2001
Lewisville, NC
There was a major thread recently on the McAndrew board about the small towns of PA with plenty of comments about towns in Western PA that are depressed and run-down.

Along comes a major investment that would provide a huge boost to towns like Braddock and Clairton, and the local politicians can't get their act together in order to close the deal. Shameful.

The Spin Meister

Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
There was a major thread recently on the McAndrew board about the small towns of PA with plenty of comments about towns in Western PA that are depressed and run-down.

Along comes a major investment that would provide a huge boost to towns like Braddock and Clairton, and the local politicians can't get their act together in order to close the deal. Shameful.
It was less state and local issues than it is national.........Biden taxes, regs, green crazy deal.

BUFFALO LION

Oct 4, 2001
Mother Nature - 1

You know, I'm starting to think that you don't believe 99% of what you write. When you type things THIS stupid, I realize that, as compared to most of these Left Wing wackos, you're simply using reverse psychology to prove how dumb the Left really is.

Maybe that's why I can never take you very seriously. Keep up the good work!

The Spin Meister

Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
You know, I'm starting to think that you don't believe 99% of what you write. When you type things THIS stupid, I realize that, as compared to most of these Left Wing wackos, you're simply using reverse psychology to prove how dumb the Left really is.

Maybe that's why I can never take you very seriously. Keep up the good work!
Welcome to the party! He is always the fool. Over half his posts are just trolling to get reactions. He is a desperate attention whore which is why putting him on ignore is the best treatment for his disease.

Ski

May 29, 2001
Welcome to the party! He is always the fool. Over half his posts are just trolling to get reactions. He is a desperate attention whore which is why putting him on ignore is the best treatment for his disease.

Yep. NJPSU_MackDaddy............

Reactions: royboy

tIUguy2

May 25, 2016
Mother Nature - 1

Yeah! Instead of the expansion here (a nation actually doing its part to curtail pollution,) let em build a new facility in China or India. Environment! Yay!

BUFFALO LION

Oct 4, 2001

Actually, I never put anyone on "ignore". I always like to hear both sides and have a chance to respond if I have time.

This guy's posts always crack me up because they are just TOO stupid. That's why I can never take him seriously. He literally says things that I would say if I was intentionally trying to sound dumb. :)

83wuzme

Apr 27, 2005
It does make sense, though. Think of when AOC did all she could to sabotage Amazon in her district.
I keep telling people, Democrats absolutely want more poverty and racism. They don’t even make denials about this now.
Envy is the lifeblood of the Left. Poverty and racism are the surest ways for them to create more of it.

pawrestlersintn

Jan 26, 2013
Are you saying no where else is steel made? Wrong again you Qnut.
You effing idiot. That's not what I was saying at all. NJPUS indicated that this decision was good for Mother Nature, as though if this place didn't make the steel, no one would. My point was exactly that the steel would be made elsewhere, a net zero for Mother Nature. But, for damn sure, a net negative for the local economy.