ADVERTISEMENT

I'm assuming any Wealthy Booster can lure Big recruits to the school with the promise of NIL money for a company they have or could just create?

Mr. Potter

Dec 27, 2004
Stanford could probably field every top player with Money coming from Google.

Sure and every Corporate head alumni of PSU could toss some bonus money the way of PSU NIL...

Pitt Alum could offer free dentures..

In the SEC . Used car salesmen and sue happy backwoods attorneys could offer up 20% of their booty to prospects...

'Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends...step inside step inside'

yep...there will end up having to be some kind of balance. The NCAA did this by knowingly fighting a losing fight to preserve the gravy train for as long as they could. Eventually, we'll have some kind of player organization and a CBA.

If I am PSU, I am NILing the OL and DL as other schools NIL QB's and WR's = Moneyball.

9e686ea8c9b904e55af64ba6ee5c738c_w200.gif

Reactions: CbusLion10
yep...there will end up having to be some kind of balance. The NCAA did this by knowingly fighting a losing fight to preserve the gravy train for as long as they could. Eventually, we'll have some kind of player organization and a CBA.

If I am PSU, I am NILing the OL and DL as other schools NIL QB's and WR's = Moneyball.

9e686ea8c9b904e55af64ba6ee5c738c_w200.gif

Fighting a losing fight? They had won. They had won.

Stanford grads are probably smart enough not to spend their money unless it will generate a greater return. I really think we are overstating the eventual impact of NIL. IMO there will be a great "impact" in the next 3-5 years but then it will settle in to a normal routine business investment - can I make money by paying a college athlete? There will be a small number where the answer will be yes. It will be interesting to see what Ewers gets out of NIL as a FR at OSU. That might serve as somewhat of a precedent for other high school kids.

Reactions: LionJim
Stanford grads are probably smart enough not to spend their money unless it will generate a greater return. I really think we are overstating the eventual impact of NIL. IMO there will be a great "impact" in the next 3-5 years but then it will settle in to a normal routine business investment - can I make money by paying a college athlete? There will be a small number where the answer will be yes. It will be interesting to see what Ewers gets out of NIL as a FR at OSU. That might serve as somewhat of a precedent for other high school kids.

What about some sort of organization that accepts donations from alumni for the purpose of funding NIL contracts?

What about some sort of organization that accepts donations from alumni for the purpose of funding NIL contracts?
Couple of problems there:

1. said donations would probably not be tax deductible, either as a donation or a business expense.

2. might not be kosher from the NCAA's perspective, though I doubt it's still paying attention.

For many wealthy donors, it’s not about financial ROI. Some love to schmooze with athletes, access admin and politicians, and look important. Many areas have huge corporate and business markets to tap. Who knows maybe Nortestern will be a big beneficiary? Also some schools are incredibly wealthy.
Will take years to see how it plays out. And by then there will be other major disruptors to tip over the apple cart. College football is in major transition from many variables. Even Nastrodamus can’t see the future.

Reactions: step.eng69
For many wealthy donors, it’s not about financial ROI. Some love to schmooze with athletes, access admin and politicians, and look important. Many areas have huge corporate and business markets to tap. Who knows maybe Nortestern will be a big beneficiary? Also some schools are incredibly wealthy.
Will take years to see how it plays out. And by then there will be other major disruptors to tip over the apple cart. College football is in major transition from many variables. Even Nastrodamus can’t see the future.
This route has been available for wealthy folks forever in pro leagues.

In reality these folks got wealthy mostly by not wasting money (investing where there is a return, sure).

no one is gonna pay 6 figures directly to students for "access."

This route has been available for wealthy folks forever in pro leagues.

In reality these folks got wealthy mostly by not wasting money (investing where there is a return, sure).

no one is gonna pay 6 figures directly to students for "access."
So why do they do that with pros?

And many areas the college game is king with no local pro team. Or a lousy pro team. Think Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Mich State, Oregon, Clemson, Texas, Ok, ........many more.

And it’s not for student access but team access, political access, administration access. You do think some construction company won’t play along to get access to Penn State’s massive infrastructure spending? Same with other schools.

And many areas the college game is king with no local pro team. Or a lousy pro team. Think Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Mich State, Oregon, Clemson, Texas, Ok, ........many more.

And it’s not for student access but team access, political access, administration access. You do think some construction company won’t play along to get access to Penn State’s massive infrastructure spending? Same with other schools.

How is a construction company going to "play along" with NIL to gain an advantage with PSU most of whose contracts, particularly the large ones, are subject to competitive bd?

They do? People pay six figures to hang out with some pro football player?

How is a construction company going to "play along" with NIL to gain an advantage with PSU most of whose contracts, particularly the large ones, are subject to competitive bd?
So you are saying all the contracts with PSU are totally on the up and up with no hanky panky going on?

So ounce saying all the contracts with PSU are totally on the JP and up with no hanky pansy going on?

I guess that's a sentence. But let's talk hypothetical. A contractor is already getting jobs through illicit means so he's going to improve his chances by contributing to a school's NIL efforts? I'd suggest a more efficient use of his money is to increase the bribes to the people he's already paying.

Last edited:
I guess that's a sentence. But let's talk hypothetical. A contractor is already getting jobs through illicit means so he's going to improve his chances by contributing to a school's NIL efforts? I'd suggest a more efficient use of his money is to increase the bribes to the people he's already paying.
The game is played many ways.

Reactions: 91Joe95
They do? People pay six figures to hang out with some pro football player?
Or worse yet - to hang out with Paris Hilton. Read Billion Dollar Whale. It’s a story about Jho Low, a Malaysian Wharton School student who becomes an independently wealthy social climber and movie producer through a series of fraudulent financial transactions. He seems to use his A list social contacts as some sort of self validation as he was a socially awkward person.

Last edited:
Some people have more money than brains. That's all I have to day about that.
Often they have both. But money is not the same to a billionaire the way it sometimes is to a millionaire. You buy whatever makes you happy without looking at the price. Often the financial elite get their satisfaction from being around great things - whether it’s athletes, jewelry, movie stars, art work, champagne, yachts, or trophy spouses. Their brain uses these associations to elevate the psyche of the super wealthy.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Often they have both. But money is not the same to a billionaire the way it sometimes is to a millionaire. You buy whatever makes you happy without looking at the price. Often the financial elite get their satisfaction from being around great things - whether it’s athletes, jewelry, movie stars, art work, champagne, yachts, or trophy spouses. Their brain uses these associations to elevate the psyche of the super wealthy.
Well, I don't expect many billionaires will be showing up around State College paying $100,000 to hang out with Sean Clifford or Joe 17 year old high school recruit but I guess we will find out.

So all that money donated to the Second Mile was done just because so many people in high places just wanted to help.........
Since you seem to be in the know, why don't you provide us with a list of every donor, (cumulative) amount given. and (underlying) purpose of donation?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT