ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois Trip?

johnrclark12

Gold Member
Sep 11, 2018
Hey all.

Was considering making the 9 hour trip to Illinois to watch the first ever PSU Friday Night Game. Just wanted to get some input on if you think it would be worth it? Tix are very cheap. Any of you ever been to Champaign? Do you think it would be worthwhile?

Hey all.

Was considering making the 9 hour trip to Illinois to watch the first ever PSU Friday Night Game. Just wanted to get some input on if you think it would be worth it? Tix are very cheap. Any of you ever been to Champaign? Do you think it would be worthwhile?
have you ever been to a PSU away night game on Friday night? So heck yeah!

You really want to spend that time and money to see that game? I go to many road games and only live 4 hours from Champaign. I’m not going. Champaign sucks and the team should quickly blow them out.

Reactions: ralphster
I am going . Flying into Chicago and driving down in the afternoon. Any suggestions for good bars restaurants . Heading back to Chicago for the weekend. Thanks in advance

I will be there. Flying in early Friday morning. Staying at Home 2 Hilton. Can walk to Stadium from there. I go to most away games and honestly champaign is not at top of list, but what can i say I am obsessed.

Going to Penn State pep rally at hilton garden before game.

Hey all.

I have been there twice. The first time was in 1994. What a game!!!!!

Hey all.

I have been there twice. The first time was in 1994. What a game!!!!!

Just me, but for me going to any psu game is worth it.

Champaign is a whole lot of nothing. Was planning on going to this game since I’m in Chicago but having to take a half day to be able to get their in time isn’t worth it since I’m taking time off for the whiteout the follow week. Friday night games in the middle of nowhere suck.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Have 1 meal at Spiagga. Tony Mantuono chef owner. One of the best chefs and restaurants in the US. It would be worth the trip even without the Penn State game. You will remember the meal the rest of your life. You will thank me forever. Make reservations now. Don't wait. What are you waiting for? Get on the damn phone.

Reactions: step.eng69
Extremely tempted to head out myself. Went to Pitt and will probably go to Rutgers and Michigan as well. Always fun to check something out that's new. I love Penn State home games but there's something about going to a road game that I really enjoy.

Extremely tempted to head out myself. Went to Pitt and will probably go to Rutgers and Michigan as well. Always fun to check something out that's new. I love Penn State home games but there's something about going to a road game that I really enjoy.
I

I am with you. I am starting to really enjoy road games. We do a big tailgate at home and honestly it's tons of work.

Love the road. Mix with fans. Hit some local bars. Restaurants, etc. Less stressful.

I usually make all games, home and away. In last 20 years, have missed about 25 road games. Haven't missed a home game since 1996.

Let me know if you make the trip to Illinois. I am doing it solo since its a Friday. No one interested in going from my group

Reactions: Ski
Indy is closer than Midway, and will likely have less traffic than Chicago. If the price is right, I'd rather fly there than Chicago.

It's a pretty forgettable trip. The campus and stadium are pretty bland. People were nice.

I am flying to chicago ohare then to Champaign. If I could not do that, Indy would be the way to go.

Hey all.

I drove out for a 5 or 6 pm game 10 or so years ago. Fans were very friendly because they knew what the outcome would be. They all laughed and encouraged us to wait for basketball season. It’s a lond GD drive from State College.

I

I am with you. I am starting to really enjoy road games. We do a big tailgate at home and honestly it's tons of work.

Love the road. Mix with fans. Hit some local bars. Restaurants, etc. Less stressful.

I usually make all games, home and away. In last 20 years, have missed about 25 road games. Haven't missed a home game since 1996.

Let me know if you make the trip to Illinois. I am doing it solo since its a Friday. No one interested in going from my group

Will do. I did Iowa solo last year.. that was a long f-ing drive. Would've been a lot longer without the game winning td at the end. Definitely enjoy meeting other fans and checking out different towns and venues. Wish I could regularly drag more people along for the ride.

The first time I saw PSU play in Champaign was Oct 1972 as Cappy & PSU beat Illinois 35-17.

The last time I saw PSU play in Champaign was Oct 1972 as Cappy & PSU beat Illinois 35-17.

I have been twice...I like the stadium...in my opinion, not much of a college town. In the past, I have driven to Indy to spend the night.

there's something about going to a road game that I really enjoy.

Agree with this 100%. Since I graduated 5 years ago, I've been to tOSU twice (A+ atmosphere, but brutal fan base/results), Heinz, UM, Rutgers, B10 Championship in Indy and Northwestern last year. I really considered going to the game at Kinnick last year, but Iowa City isn't the most accessible from the East Coast.

Surprised to hear people speaking poorly of Champaign. I haven't been, but have worked with a lot of UI alums who speak highly of the town/campus. I always thought their stadium looked pretty cool too. Didn't they do renovations in recent years?

As much as I love PSU football, I'm a huge fan of college football in general and don't like to miss watching other games. For that reason, I only do 1 a year on average plus maybe 1 home game.

I'll be there, flying into Midway Friday morning then driving down.

Tickets are pretty cheap and so is flying Southwest into Midway. Champaign is not much of a college town though.

Agree with this 100%. Since I graduated 5 years ago, I've been to tOSU twice (A+ atmosphere, but brutal fan base/results), Heinz, UM, Rutgers, B10 Championship in Indy and Northwestern last year. I really considered going to the game at Kinnick last year, but Iowa City isn't the most accessible from the East Coast.

Surprised to hear people speaking poorly of Champaign. I haven't been, but have worked with a lot of UI alums who speak highly of the town/campus. I always thought their stadium looked pretty cool too. Didn't they do renovations in recent years?

As much as I love PSU football, I'm a huge fan of college football in general and don't like to miss watching other games. For that reason, I only do 1 a year on average plus maybe 1 home game.

You didn't miss much in Iowa, worst fans in the B10.

I too love going to away games, been going to more of those than home games lately.

Reactions: PSUoh90
Iowa, worst fans in the B10.

I've actually heard others share your sentiment.

I find this hard to believe for the simple reason that Rutgers and tOSU are in the B10, but can't speak from experience, so I'll take your word for it.

NU was a pleasant/peaceful environment. I was at the Big House in 2014 (pre-Harbaugh) and found their fans to be surprisingly mild.

I'd like to do Minnesota next year (Nov 9). Wish it were earlier in the year, but I mostly hear good things about the Twin Cities. Newer stadium + Direct flight.

I've actually heard others share your sentiment.

I find this hard to believe for the simple reason that Rutgers and tOSU are in the B10, but can't speak from experience, so I'll take your word for it.

NU was a pleasant/peaceful environment. I was at the Big House in 2014 (pre-Harbaugh) and found their fans to be surprisingly mild.

I'd like to do Minnesota next year (Nov 9). Wish it were earlier in the year, but I mostly hear good things about the Twin Cities. Newer stadium + Direct flight.

Rutgers and OSU are bad, just not Iowa bad.

I agree about UM, their internet fans are bad, but at the stadium they were nice. So was the tailgating.

I liked Minny, the fans were indifferent, the stadium was nice.

Reactions: PSUoh90
My wife and I will be there. We are leaving Sunday morning and driving our RV to Champaign. Making a couple stops on the way. We are
both retired so no rush in getting there. Just need to be back to State College for OSU game.

Not Penn State's first ever Friday night game. We beat Miami (Fla) in 1967 on a Friday night. Beginning of JoePa's historic run although we lost the next week to Gary Beban's (Heisman) UCLA Bruins. Finished 8-2 that year and tied FSU in the Gator Bowl.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT