ADVERTISEMENT

If you could win only one tennis major - which would it be?

If you could win only one tennis major, which would it be?

• The Australian Open

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The French Open

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Wimbledon

Votes: 37 82.2%
  • The U.S. Open

Votes: 7 15.6%

• Total voters

john4psu

Sep 7, 2003
If you could win only one tennis major, which would it be?

The Australian Open
The French Open
Wimbledon
The U.S. Open

OK, can I use an even BIGGER racquet than the giant one they use now ???

Tennis has majors? Who watches them?

I do. Mostly in the vain hope that one of our american men can make the quarterfinals, and they never do. Sock is gone by round two, Johnson always loses his first, Young loses his first, and the other two aren't ready yet, and of course Isner plays until he meets someone with a drop shot who can return his serve and forces him to bend, run, and stretch, none of which he can do at 6'11" tall with the body of a George Muresan.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
I do. Mostly in the vain hope that one of our american men can make the quarterfinals, and they never do. Sock is gone by round two, Johnson always loses his first, Young loses his first, and the other two aren't ready yet, and of course Isner plays until he meets someone with a drop shot who can return his serve and forces him to bend, run, and stretch, none of which he can do at 6'11" tall with the body of a George Muresan.

Well the SUPER SIZED racquet they use has made this a big man's game. He who hits the ball that hardest. There is no "tennis" or strategy. Actually, it has become a VERY boring game :) Not much longer until the 6'11" types can bend, look at the NBA athletes. Imagine those guys with the gigantic racquet :)
The majors are merely social events sort of like the triple crown in horse racing.

Well the SUPER SIZED racquet they use has made this a big man's game. He who hits the ball that hardest. There is no "tennis" or strategy. Actually, it has become a VERY boring game :) Not much longer until the 6'11" types can bend, look at the NBA athletes. Imagine those guys with the gigantic racquet :)
The majors are merely social events sort of like the triple crown in horse racing.

Which is why watching someone like Nadal, who does not have a big serve, dominate on clay (the great 'big serve equalizer') is so fun to watch. Same with Djokovic - he doesn't dominate with his serve either. Sampras is really the only guy in recent history who dominated with a big serve, though Federer's serve - while not 'big' - was just as deadly because of how well he was able to disguise and place it. If the big serve meant everything Roddick would have a dozen Grand Slams.

lk
Which is why watching someone like Nadal, who does not have a big serve, dominate on clay (the great 'big serve equalizer') is so fun to watch. Same with Djokovic - he doesn't dominate with his serve either. Sampras is really the only guy in recent history who dominated with a big serve, though Federer's serve - while not 'big' - was just as deadly because of how well he was able to disguise and place it. If the big serve meant everything Roddick would have a dozen Grand Slams.

If a big serve meant ANYTHING, John Isner would have maybe 20 grand slam titles. He has, basically, the hardest and fastest serve in the history of the game.

Unfortunately, he cannot run, bend, or move laterally, or hit a backhand.

lk

If a big serve meant ANYTHING, John Isner would have maybe 20 grand slam titles. He has, basically, the hardest and fastest serve in the history of the game.

Unfortunately, he cannot run, bend, or move laterally, or hit a backhand.

Sam Groth is the record holder at 163mph, but Isner isn't far behind at #3 (157 mph). Federer's fastest serve on record is good enough for #27 at 143 mph.

Does Anna K count as winning a major?

She was actually a great tennis player. She made the semi-finals at Wimbledon one year, and was a top 100 ranked player for 3 or 4 years.

At some point, nobody cared about that, lmao. We all know why, and before the flags come down, know that right now I can't upload pics on here for whatever reason

She was actually a great tennis player. She made the semi-finals at Wimbledon one year, and was a top 100 ranked player for 3 or 4 years.

At some point, nobody cared about that, lmao. We all know why, and before the flags come down, know that right now I can't upload pics on here for whatever reason
Anna was actually ranked sixth in the world at one point. Do you know how many female tennis players wished they could of been ranked sixth in the world? All but five of them! You don't earn the #6 ranking in the world on looks.

Anna won a doubles title in a major as well.

Anna was actually ranked sixth in the world at one point. Do you know how many female tennis players wished they could of been ranked sixth in the world? All but five of them! You don't earn the #6 ranking in the world on looks.

Anna won a doubles title in a major as well.

Two actually - 1999 & 2002 Australian Opens (runner up in the 1999 French Open too). NO FLAGS!!

Anna+kournikova+biography+1-anna-kournikova.jpg

Only one? Sorry, but I can't even begin to relate to having such limitations, so it's impossible for me to answer. That's like asking Wilt Chamberlain how he would make a living if he were only four feet tall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT