ADVERTISEMENT

If Penn State, Michigan and Ohio State all end up 11-1, does the highest ranked team win the East?

john4psu

Sep 7, 2003
If Ohio State beats Penn State, Penn State beats Michigan, and Michigan beats Ohio State (all home victories), and all three teams end up with an 11-1 record, does the highest ranked team win the Big 10 East division and go on to the Big 10 Championship Game?

Also, if that were to happen, who do you see making the college football playoff?

It would go down to cross divisional opponents. Whoever's opponents from the west have the highest conference winning percentage would win the tiebreak and represent the east. Its the 5th tiebreaker, but its the one that would apply in the "all three split and beat everyone else" scenario. I can't imagine a situation where they actually made it past 5.

1. The records of the three (or more) tied teams will be compared based on winning percentage in games between the tied teams.
(a) Example: East 1 is 2-0 in games between the tied teams with wins over East 2 and 3 - East 1 would be the representative.
2. The records of the three (or more) tied teams will be compared based on winning percentage within their division.
3. The records of the three (or more) teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in their division in order of finish (4, 5, 6, and 7).
(a) When arriving at a group of tied teams while comparing records, use each team’s record against the collective tied teams as a group, rather than record against the individual teams.
4. The records of the three (or more) teams will be compared based on winning percentage against all common conference opponents.
5. The records of the three (or more) teams will be compared based on the best cumulative conference winning percentage of non-divisional opponents.
(a) Example: East 1 non-divisional opponents are 20-7, East 2 non-divisional opponents are 19-8, East 3 non-divisional opponents are 14-13 – East 1 would be the representative.

6. The records of the three (or more) teams will be compared against the highest placed non-divisional teams in their division order of finish (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7).
(a) When arriving at a group of tied teams while comparing records, use each team’s record against the collective tied teams as a group, rather than record against the individual teams.
(b) When comparing records against a single team or a group of teams, the record will prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group are unequal (i.e. 1-0 is better than 0-0, 2-0 is better than 1-0, etc.)
7. The team with the best overall winning percentage [excluding exempted games] shall be the representative.
8. The representative will be chosen by random draw.

If whoever won the tiebreak won the CCG the rep would be that team, if they lose, I'd imagine it'd be whoever beat the other team that didn't make the CCG since they'd have the same record but own the h2h but anyone's guess.

Last edited:
If Ohio State beats Penn State, Penn State beats Michigan, and Michigan beats Ohio State (all home victories), and all three teams end up with an 11-1 record, does the highest ranked team win the Big 10 East division and go on to the Big 10 Championship Game?

Also, if that were to happen, who do you see making the college football playoff?

IF That happens They will ignore all previous criteria and make it up. They will bring up look test bs and pick OSU or OSU and Michigan.

Reactions: john4psu
It would go down to cross divisional opponents. Whoever's opponents from the west have the highest conference winning percentage would win the tiebreak and represent the east. Its the 5th tiebreaker, but its the one that would apply in the "all three split and beat everyone else" scenario. I can't imagine a situation where they actually made it past 5.

1. The records of the three (or more) tied teams will be compared based on winning percentage in games between the tied teams.
(a) Example: East 1 is 2-0 in games between the tied teams with wins over East 2 and 3 - East 1 would be the representative.
2. The records of the three (or more) tied teams will be compared based on winning percentage within their division.
3. The records of the three (or more) teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in their division in order of finish (4, 5, 6, and 7).
4. The records of the three (or more) teams will be compared based on winning percentage against all common conference opponents.
5. The records of the three (or more) teams will be compared based on the best cumulative conference winning percentage of non-divisional opponents.
(a) Example: East 1 non-divisional opponents are 20-7, East 2 non-divisional opponents are 19-8, East 3 non-divisional opponents are 14-13 – East 1 would be the representative.

6. The records of the three (or more) teams will be compared against the highest placed non-divisional teams in their division order of finish (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7).
(b) When comparing records against a single team or a group of teams, the record will prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group are unequal (i.e. 1-0 is better than 0-0, 2-0 is better than 1-0, etc.)
7. The team with the best overall winning percentage [excluding exempted games] shall be the representative.
8. The representative will be chosen by random draw.

If whoever won the tiebreak won the CCG the rep would be that team, if they lose, I'd imagine it'd be whoever beat the other team that didn't make the CCG since they'd have the same record but own the h2h but anyone's guess.
Thanks fastlax.

Thanks fastlax.

Cross divisional opponents for the big 3 next year. For the sake of this topic, it's actually good for us that none of our opponents play UM or OSU. Saves them all an extra loss.

PSU-Illinois, Iowa, NW
osu- Purdue, Wisconsin, Minnesota
um- Nebraska, Minnesota, Purdue

Reactions: NedFromYork
Cross divisional opponents for the big 3 next year. For the sake of this topic, it's actually good for us that none of our opponents play UM or OSU. Saves them all an extra loss.

PSU-Illinois, Iowa, NW
osu- Purdue, Wisconsin, Minnesota
um- Nebraska, Minnesota, Purdue

7 teams in the West division and the Bucks and Wolvies play the same 2 while we don't share a common opponent.

I swear there is something to that, but I just can't put my finger on it...

Reactions: bison13

They’ll go alphabetically.

• Haha
Reactions: john4psu
7 teams in the West division and the Bucks and Wolvies play the same 2 while we don't share a common opponent.

I swear there is something to that, but I just can't put my finger on it...

Its a good sign not to bet on Purdue or Minnesota to win the west.

Last season we shared NW with OSU and OSU/UM shared Iowa. Plenty of shit to put your finger on but I don't think crossover opponents are one of them. That said, I fully expect to get shafted once UCLA and USC are added and they redraw everything.

Last season we shared NW with OSU and OSU/UM shared Iowa. Plenty of shit to put your finger on but I don't think crossover opponents are one of them. That said, I fully expect to get shafted once UCLA and USC are added and they redraw everything.
Anyone else want a Penn State Maryland USC UCLA pod? I'd like to replace Maryland with Nebraska but Nebraska probably goes with Iowa

Yeah like playing at USC and UCLA on consecutive weekends and one is Friday night, LoL

This inbred Conference would just say BLEEP YOU to Penn State, and pick either OSU or UM.

Last edited:
Reactions: AvgUser
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT