ADVERTISEMENT

If I'm the mayor of Oakland, I tell the Raiders leave now

nittany dave

Dec 1, 2001
NFL owners voting today to let Raiders move to Vegas for 2020 season. If I'm the mayor of Oakland, I would try to break any existing lease (I know, legally, this may not be possible). Barring that, if I'm the mayor, I tell the Raiders no Oakland cops for traffic control, security, etc. I would make it as uncomfortable as possible for them for next 3 seasons.

Reactions: BBrown
NFL owners voting today to let Raiders move to Vegas for 2020 season. If I'm the mayor of Oakland, I would try to break any existing lease (I know, legally, this may not be possible). Barring that, if I'm the mayor, I tell the Raiders no Oakland cops for traffic control, security, etc. I would make it as uncomfortable as possible for them for next 3 seasons.
I agree. NFL owners are nothing but grifters and extortionists.

If, as I expect, the Raiders leave us in the lurch again and move to 'Vegas, I am DONE with them. Getting jilted twice by one team is just too much to bear. This on top of growing up in LA and having the Rams leave for St. Louis.

What is it about California and pro football teams?! Try to imagine the Steelers ever leaving Pittsburgh or the Eagles ever leaving Philadelphia. The notion is ludicrous.

And doing that would be political suicide..

If, as I expect, the Raiders leave us in the lurch again and move to 'Vegas, I am DONE with them. Getting jilted twice by one team is just too much to bear. This on top of growing up in LA and having the Rams leave for St. Louis.

What is it about California and pro football teams?! Try to imagine the Steelers ever leaving Pittsburgh or the Eagles ever leaving Philadelphia. The notion is ludicrous.
Speaking of moving. Tomorrow's the day. But it's not coming without any fireworks.

So again, tomorrow is the day... so what does the landlord do? schedules the plumbers to come and tear up the garage and attach the downspouts to the sewer drain TODAY.

So you know, most people put their boxes in the garage prior to moving so when moving day approaces, all you gotta do is back the truck up and load and go. Well what does JC have to do? Move all those boxes back up stairs.

Not only are they busting up the garage, they're also busting through the wall in the laundry room 3 feet under ground to attach another downspout to the to the stack inside. So that pile of dirt blocks my moving path out the two biggest doors that I have access to.

So that said, this has been a total clusterfck.

So what's the point of all this? Guess who decided they wanted to come watch and slow the process down...
Yep. You guessed it. It's taking me every bit of restraint in my body to try to see this through.

I knew I wouldn't be able to get out of this place without one last story. Oh, and the job is supposed to last until Wednesday.

From this whole bending over backwards for the last 3 months trying to be the nice guy, and not risk having to fight for my security deposit, ive yet again been kicked square in the balls.

Usually when someone inconveniences another, the first thing you do is apologize for the inconvenience. Not once have I gotten a thank you or an apology.

yeah...or the Browns leaving cleveland...amiright?

its all about money....they owers and teams preach "fan loyalty" but have none for the fan. Screw 'em.

Reactions: EPC FAN

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...ck_to_when_Eagles_almost_went_to_Arizona.html

So you're going to make your constituents pay the price for the team ownership?

How will this plan benefit Oakland residents?

LdN

Owners approve move per ESPN.
no brainer. SF/SJ already have a team (49ers) and Vegas is just a great place to have a pro franchise.

its about the money...period and end of sentence. Going forward, I suggest NFL fans look at football games like spending money on a play, movie or long weekend: its entertainment. I quit spending $300/game on the Cavs several years ago when I added up dinner, parking, baby sitting, etc and realized I could have spent the weekend skiing at Holiday Valley for the same price. (at the time)

no brainer. SF/SJ already have a team (49ers) and Vegas is just a great place to have a pro franchise.

its about the money...period and end of sentence. Going forward, I suggest NFL fans look at football games like spending money on a play, movie or long weekend: its entertainment. I quit spending $300/game on the Cavs several years ago when I added up dinner, parking, baby sitting, etc and realized I could have spent the weekend skiing at Holiday Valley for the same price. (at the time)

I just don't care much for pro-sports that much anymore. I like my Pittsburgh teams but there's zero sense of loyalty by owners or players and that's fine - would give zero craps if any of them left for anywhere else. But, trip to NYC to see a Broadway show and have a nice dinner, or chug beers and whine when grown men don't win a game for 'my team'? Easy choice.

I just don't care much for pro-sports that much anymore. I like my Pittsburgh teams but there's zero sense of loyalty by owners or players and that's fine - would give zero craps if any of them left for anywhere else. But, trip to NYC to see a Broadway show and have a nice dinner, or chug beers and whine when grown men don't win a game for 'my team'? Easy choice.

totally agree. i watch a steelers or browns game like i watch a movie...just entertainment. I am no longer invested. Say it is tied 28-28 in overtime and my wife says "want to have a nice dinner, just the two of us?" My one word, immediate response: "In!"

emmastone-ohyeah.gif

I realized I could get a couple weeks in Europe for what I was spending on PSU football--and that while splitting my tickets with a friend. Didn't go at all last year (for the first in about 40 years) and only planning an Iowa trip this year.

But I still have a quarter season ticket to the Jackets and full to the Crew.

Reactions: fairgambit
If the Steelers were to move out of Pittsburgh I wouldn't shed a tear, and I'm a Steeler "fan".
It wouldn't bother me either. Sports is a mild diversion for me, nothing more. After Art Rooney Sr. died I quickly became disenchanted with the Rooneys that followed. They are "takers" (build me this, give me that), like most pro owners. Now, if the Pittsburgh Symphony moved, I would be distraught. :(

It wouldn't bother me either. Sports is a mild diversion for me, nothing more. After Art Rooney Sr. died I quickly became disenchanted with the Rooneys that followed. They are "takers" (build me this, give me that), like most pro owners. Now, if the Pittsburgh Symphony moved, I would be distraught. :(

You and every Pitt fan.
#DontTouchMySymphony

I wouldn't care if every pro sport that has guaranteed contracts and taxpayer funded stadiums was shut down, or moved to the Middle East. I rarely watch any pro sports except golf. I used to watch all the tournaments but golf tech has ruined the game for me as a viewer (wedges to par 5s -- gimme a break).

Growing up in the East Bay (Pleasanton), I learned my lesson the first time the Raiders left. Art Shell lived on my street. Virginia Madden taught at my my elementary school. I could go on. Learned a valuable lesson at that time. You don't own the team. They have nothing to do with you. When they say 'your Denver Broncos' I know better. Dumped the Raiders, became a Niners fan but I know the truth. It's all business. It's all entertainment. There are more important things in life.

I wouldn't care if every pro sport that has guaranteed contracts and taxpayer funded stadiums was shut down, or moved to the Middle East. I rarely watch any pro sports except golf. I used to watch all the tournaments but golf tech has ruined the game for me as a viewer (wedges to par 5s -- gimme a break).

I do watch, and love, pro tennis.

Growing up in the East Bay (Pleasanton), I learned my lesson the first time the Raiders left. Art Shell lived on my street. Virginia Madden taught at my my elementary school. I could go on. Learned a valuable lesson at that time. You don't own the team. They have nothing to do with you. When they say 'your Denver Broncos' I know better. Dumped the Raiders, became a Niners fan but I know the truth. It's all business. It's all entertainment. There are more important things in life.
Well said.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

THAT only happens if the politicians have the citizens vote to use tax payer money to build a stadium :) I would certainly vote for the stadium at MY expense ?

This will sound odd, but I watch tennis from time to time. When I do, I turn the sound off. I can't stand the "thunk" sound of a hit tennis ball, or the grunts of the players.

A few years ago there was some effort to "not allow" the "grunts, but :)

This will sound odd, but I watch tennis from time to time. When I do, I turn the sound off. I can't stand the "thunk" sound of a hit tennis ball, or the grunts of the players.
Yeah. Who started that grunting business. I think it was the great woman player (Eastern European, I think) who was stabbed by some nut. I forget her name.

I like the sound of the racket strings hitting and compressing the ball.

Edit: Bear answered my question above -- Seles.

Well, there is a ton to do on the weekends in Cali. besides football and fighting traffic for a 6th day per a week is hard to overcome. (Speaking more of the new LA teams then Okland.).

I used to also, during the Connors, Borg, McEnroe days. The youngsters here would be surprised to learn how many indoor tennis facilities were built and opened in the 70s. It was the rage.
Pittsburgh had a team (Triangles) in the World Team Tennis League back around 74/75. The team folded after a couple of seasons, but I went to a few matches and enjoyed it.

Pittsburgh had a team (Triangles) in the World Team Tennis League back around 74/75. The team folded after a couple of seasons, but I went to a few matches and enjoyed it.
Triangles? Who came up with that name? The court is a series of right angles. There's not a triangle in sight. Pittsburgh Rectangles would have been accurate. The court is full of them, everywhere you look.

I'm reminded of the 93 I got in my Geometry final in high school and the very suspicious look that Father Denihan gave me when he handed the exams back to us, name and grade. :cool: :cool::D

Triangles? Who came up with that name? The court is a series of right angles. There's not a triangle in sight. Pittsburgh Rectangles would have been accurate. The court is full of them, everywhere you look.

I'm reminded of the 93 I got in my Geometry final in high school and the very suspicious look that Father Denihan gave me when he handed the exams back to us, name and grade. :cool: :cool::D
I think the name is from Pittsburgh's Golden Triangle.

Pittsburgh had a team (Triangles) in the World Team Tennis League back around 74/75. The team folded after a couple of seasons, but I went to a few matches and enjoyed it.[/QU

I was at the match, with my dad, in 1975 when the Triangles won the World Team Tennis Championship by beating the San Francisco Golden Gaters. Triangles had Evonne Goolagong and Vitas Gerullaitis. Gaters had Frew McMillan and Bob Hewitt. It was fun.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT