ADVERTISEMENT

If Franklin were to leave, who is on your list to replace him?

Lane Kiffin. Offensive genius. Would be a much needed break from the Paterno era, he would gladly hike his leg and piss on the Joebots. Good recruiter, can actually coach up and develop talent. Better game day coach (not a high bar). Want to make a change - don't go half assed with it.

Matt Ruhle and Urban Meyer aren’t leaving NFL jobs, if they somehow did it would be for much greener pastures than Penn St.

Fickell seems like a legitimate candidate.
Fickell is the flavor of the month. Looking at six other flavor of the month candidates who were hot prospects, they’re combined record is 136-137 (Herman, Frost, Brown, Brohm, Fleck, and Fuente). I see Fickell going the same way.

Any thoughts about bringing back O'Brien? He did a very credible job with the loss of many players. Coached Brady for years and is now QB coach at Alabama. He might be interested in a return to HCing. You could use his toughness against OSU and Michigan
He didn’t like the college gig of having to recruit and didn’t like booster engagement

1. Matt Ruhle- and keeping MY to keep Allar
2. Luke Fickle and keeping MY to keep Allar
3. Lane Kiffin and he keeps Allar by himself
4. Doug Pederson
5. Jeff Hafley and keeping MY to keep Allar

If Bob Stoops were interested would the school consider him? Has a NC and playoff experience and an ability to recruit top shelf talent.

If Bob Stoops were interested would the school consider him? Has a NC and playoff experience and an ability to recruit top shelf talent.
🤷‍♂️ What kind of baggage does he have? He just coached in the XFL last season.

🤷‍♂️ What kind of baggage does he have? He just coached in the XFL last season.
Your response sniffed out the real question in my post/suggestion. You currently have a good coach who runs a very clean program and is a very good recruiter based on the Star system. Bob Stoops would come with a completely different set of skills. Probably better at assessing football talent and his game day preparation would only be rivaled by two or three coaches nationally. Would the university take a shot or pass? Is the reward worth the risk?

Mike Tomlin. Hell if USC can claim he’s interested why can’t we? Besides, his son can transfer from Maryland and he can hire Joey Porter to coach LB’s. It will be like a HS reunion.

Reactions: Midnighter2
Your response sniffed out the real question in my post/suggestion. You currently have a good coach who runs a very clean program and is a very good recruiter based on the Star system. Bob Stoops would come with a completely different set of skills. Probably better at assessing football talent and his game day preparation would only be rivaled by two or three coaches nationally. Would the university take a shot or pass? Is the reward worth the risk?
I doubt you'd ever see him here. Same with Urban.

The thing I don't like is JF insists when kids commit to PSU that they are family and married. No flirting anymore or visiting. Yet he refuses to come out and say I am at PSU forever. This is my dream job and I have no plans of ever going any where else. To me what he requires of recruits he doesn't ask of himself.

I have to believe current players, recruits, and parents all ask him about these rumors of other jobs. So what does Franklin say and how does he say it? I don’t recall anyone ever commenting about it.

1) Franklin is not leaving
2) PSU is not gonna fire him with a 28 million dollar price tag
3) As part of #2, they are not gonna pony up 25 million for the new guy
4) If I am FOS on #1-3, I will take Fickel or Schiano

1) Franklin is not leaving
2) PSU is not gonna fire him with a 28 million dollar price tag
3) As part of #2, they are not gonna pony up 25 million for the new guy
4) If I am FOS on #1-3, I will take Fickel or Schiano

If you‘re Fight On State, you wouldn’t take urban?

Rhule is the obvious choice

No idea if he'd get PSU to the playoffs (I still think Franklin can) but he'd be worth a shot given what he's accomplished.

Fickell is the flavor of the month. Looking at six other flavor of the month candidates who were hot prospects, they’re combined record is 136-137 (Herman, Frost, Brown, Brohm, Fleck, and Fuente). I see Fickell going the same way.
I would respectively disagree. Herman, Frost, Brown, Brohm, Fleck and Fuente all had 3-5 years at lower-level programs which they turned around for 1-2 seasons. Fickell had success immediately at Cincy and improved upon it. His interim HC experience at OSU and time spent there sets him apart from the others.

I would respectively disagree. Herman, Frost, Brown, Brohm, Fleck and Fuente all had 3-5 years at lower-level programs which they turned around for 1-2 seasons. Fickell had success immediately at Cincy and improved upon it. His interim HC experience at OSU and time spent there sets him apart from the others.
His interim time at OSU was an absolute disaster. And as these other coaches proved, winning at the G5 level rarely translates to success at the P5 level. Fickell will be a career 7-5 guy.

Rhule is the obvious choice

No idea if he'd get PSU to the playoffs (I still think Franklin can) but he'd be worth a shot given what he's accomplished.
He isn't willingly leaving an NFL job for a college job. The only ones in recent memory (that I can think of) who did that were Saban leaving Dolphins for Alabama and Petrino leaving Falcons for Arkansas. I'd take Petrino out of this since he was proven to be a head case. Rhule ain't Saban and PSU ain't Bama (in terms of boosters pressure).

His interim time at OSU was an absolute disaster. And as these other coaches proved, winning at the G5 level rarely translates to success at the P5 level. Fickell will be a career 7-5 guy.
He became interim in May of that year on an one-year interim HC contract. That program was thrown for such a loop due to the Pryer/Tressell scandal. If he was such a disaster, why did Meyer keep him on the staff?

I would happily take a bet that upon his first P5 job, he becomes more than a 7-5 guy.

Reactions: MacNit07
He became interim in May of that year on an one-year interim HC contract. That program was thrown for such a loop due to the Pryer/Tressell scandal. If he was such a disaster, why did Meyer keep him on the staff?

I would happily take a bet that upon his first P5 job, he becomes more than a 7-5 guy.
We’ll see, but he would be bucking a trend.

Go right to Dave Clawson. To me, not even debateable. Guy has left Fordam, BGSU, Richmond with 10-11 w seasons and now has WF undefeated for first time in 80 years. He is from upstate NY and no allegiance to other BT programs. He is only 54 so energy is still there. Watch Wake and tell me not impressed with QB play and offensive execution. I would not feel bad at all if Franklin leaves and Dave comes in. The cupboard is not bare and he does wonders in competitve conference with lesser talent. PSU would open up so many more possibilties for him to utilize skill players.

I think there is zero chance it is happening.

But, playing the hypothetical game….

1. Ruhle, my suspicion has always been he signed that Panthers deal with one out clause. He adores this place and it is his dream job. Well understood.

2. Fickell, proven commodity in Big 10 territory. Probably has a lifetime grudge against his alma mater.

Only 2 candidates. Hire Meyer, I’m out. I could not ever root for that clown.
I don't think Fickel would hesitate if offered the OSU job. That would be my concern with him. Rhule, no thanks.

• Angry
Reactions: MacNit07
Go right to Dave Clawson. To me, not even debateable. Guy has left Fordam, BGSU, Richmond with 10-11 w seasons and now has WF undefeated for first time in 80 years. He is from upstate NY and no allegiance to other BT programs. He is only 54 so energy is still there. Watch Wake and tell me not impressed with QB play and offensive execution. I would not feel bad at all if Franklin leaves and Dave comes in. The cupboard is not bare and he does wonders in competitve conference with lesser talent. PSU would open up so many more possibilties for him to utilize skill players.
I would be happy to have him @ PSU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT