ADVERTISEMENT

If Franklin were to leave, who is on your list to replace him?

No thank you regarding Urban Meyer. The OP included who would be “a good fit” so that eliminates him anyway.

Based on what I’m reading here the only good fit is someone who is going to lose 0 or 1 games more often than not. Urban is the only one checking that box.

Reactions: ftlpsu
I find it amusing that so many of you want James out, quit or fired, are the same people that hate the person, Sandy, that will pick his successor.

She sucks at everything but she’s going to hit this out of the park and get us a coach that can do better than 11 win seasons every other season on average when coaching unsanctioned teams.

Bronco Mendenhall, Luke Fickell, Mike Tomlin, Billy Napier, Lance Leipold, Chris Kleiman.
I forgot to add the Duz. Beat Clemson on a day Franklin loses to Illinois and you should get at least an HM. I put Bronco Mendenhall on here because his team beat the fighting Bielemas 42-14 this year. And his middle name is Bronco. Luke Fickell would probably love the chance to stick it to Ohio State every year. Even though I'm a Steelers fan I think Tomlin would be a fantastic college coach. I couldn't imagine a cooler recruiter. Billy Napier has coached under both Dabo and Saban and has been successful at a Group of 5 program. Leipold and Kleiman both won multiple national titles at lower levels.

Reactions: aworsnup
I forgot to add the Duz. Beat Clemson on a day Franklin loses to Illinois and you should get at least an HM. I put Bronco Mendenhall on here because his team beat the fighting Bielemas 42-14 this year. And his middle name is Bronco. Luke Fickell would probably love the chance to stick it to Ohio State every year. Even though I'm a Steelers fan I think Tomlin would be a fantastic college coach. I couldn't imagine a cooler recruiter. Billy Napier has coached under both Dabo and Saban and has been successful at a Group of 5 program. Leipold and Kleiman both won multiple national titles at lower levels.
Napier is a real hot commodity but he will most likely get an SEC job and his roots are strongly south. Leipold is older but is an excellent coach. Matt Campbell and Marcus Freeman are originally from Ohio and Dave Clawson is from the state of NY. Herman did a great job at Houston as a head coach and Ohio State as the OC. He had 4 winning seasons at Texas and has alot of recruiting ties in that state. Doubt Joe Brady would leave the NFL but he did a great job at LSU and has a PSU background.

Napier is a real hot commodity but he will most likely get an SEC job and his roots are strongly south. Leipold is older but is an excellent coach. Matt Campbell and Marcus Freeman are originally from Ohio and Dave Clawson is from the state of NY. Herman did a great job at Houston as a head coach and Ohio State as the OC. He had 4 winning seasons at Texas and has alot of recruiting ties in that state. Doubt Joe Brady would leave the NFL but he did a great job at LSU and has a PSU background.
If Herman had those 4 winning seasons here there might be suicides on this board.

When Franklin bolts to what he thinks is greener pastures, I'd like Chadwell and Clawson to be on the top of the list. Give both guys a higher caliber of offensive recruit and they could work a lot of wonders with their offensive minds. Of course, they'd need to be able to recruit offensive linemen.

And Liepold know how to coach undefeated teams. That is a skill few coaches have. I wanted him before CJF was here.

Reactions: BW Lion
Let's look at characteristics, rather than record.

Let's get a young, highly intelligent coach with a personality to recruit.

In other words, let's hire a young Paterno (not literally a Paterno), just a guy like him.

Don’t think we could get Rhule now and probably not Fickell. I would put the full court press on Matt Campbell. If not Marcus Freeman is a hot name as a coordinator and Dave Clawson while not a flashy hire is a NE guy who has won and turned around all 4 places he has coached at. A dark horse to me would be Tom Herman. 6 winning seasons in 6 years as a head coach and 5-0 in bowl games 71% winning percentage. Think he got a raw deal by Texas who is living in the memory of the Darrell Royal era.
The question is - are we living in the memory of the Joe Paterno era?

I find it amusing that so many of you want James out, quit or fired, are the same people that hate the person, Sandy, that will pick his successor.
First of all Sandy doesn’t pick or hires a new coach .... BIG MONEY donors do and if they are tired of this $h!t and pony up the money getting any coach is possible.

Replace Franklin because he doesn’t win enough and hire a guy who’s 29-23 since 2017 (Shaw)?

I want to keep Franklin; I just like these coaches. Shaw makes more than CJF and coaches at Stanford. His style of football would work well in the B1G though.

Reactions: grinagrin
Shaw is making $9 MM this year at Stanford. Obviously PSU is not going to offer him more. Why would he take a pay cut for a more demanding job (greater expectations and tougher conference schedule)?

Likely wouldn't; just like his coaching/play style.

Reactions: grinagrin
And we aren’t paying Ruhle more than the 8.5 million he’s getting.

As a ravens fan the idea of Roman here makes me cringe.

What about Roman's offense (ranked 4th in Total Offense so far this year) makes you cringe? Also, he interviewed well when OB got the job; is an east coast guy and has connections.

Please share your list. I have no idea who would be realistic as a good fit and who would likely take the job.
This is an interesting dichotomy, specifically, in light of the huge class that is potentially on the way. If James goes, who bolts with him and who stays if a new coach.

Reactions: m48tank
Id Look for a coach and staff who has a good record of doing more with less.
Penn state has excellent name recognition and facilities.
Find a coach like Pat Natduzzi. He hasn’t had the best recruiting classes but is having success. I would have to imagine he would do a lot better if he had access to the talent which we have.

• Haha
Reactions: meanmiJ01
I am not a fan of coaching retreads ... I like giving someone a new a shot. I don't think we keep Allar if we get rid of Franklin and thus Yurcich. Allar wants to play for Yurcich. A new coach will want his own OC and DC. Not sure who else we would lose recruiting wise from this excellent class. Yurcich gives us a chance to keep a lot of these players, he has been a HC at a lower level school but to me as long as the person has experience as a CEO I am good with that....Probably won't be a popular pick here but to me Yurcich has put up big numbers everywhere he has coached. If Yurcich we're to say no then I expand out to people like Moorhead and other top assistants. Realistically to me PSU is not going to get Rhule or Urban we can ask but I think they are a hard pass.

Find a coach like Pat Natduzzi. He hasn’t had the best recruiting classes but is having success. I would have to imagine he would do a lot better if he had access to the talent which we have.

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert, but based on everything I've heard, PSU facilities are seriously lacking compared to top programs.

Let's look at characteristics, rather than record.

Let's get a young, highly intelligent coach with a personality to recruit.

In other words, let's hire a young Paterno (not literally a Paterno), just a guy like him.
Sadly, I don't believe those kind of people exist anymore. Actually, I would say Jay might be the closest to that ideal, but he isn't "young" anymore (must be in his 50s by now) and I'm not sure about the recruiting part...and the general consensus I've seen on this board is that nobody thinks he's a good coach.

Assuming Franklin stays, and I don't see why he'd leave at this point, fans need to gird up for several years of rebuilding and soul-searching. I don't know that Franklin is ever going to "get it," by that I mean learn how to win in the B1G. He'll continue to chase this ideal of "explosive plays" and ignoring the principles of ball control, all the while putting undue pressure on the defense and wondering why they collapse at critical moments.

Reactions: step.eng69
Come on, be serious. He’s had at least five losses every season in the worst division in the worst conference. If Franklin was at Pitt, he would be in the ACC championship game every year. Recruiting is still the most important part of college coaching.

Reactions: The_Unit
Come on, be serious. He’s had at least five losses every season in the worst division in the worst conference. If Franklin was at Pitt, he would be in the ACC championship game every year. Recruiting is still the most important part of college coaching.

I’m sure pitt athletic supporters are convinced of a changing of the guard in the acc. dabo has lost it at clempson, and pitt has taken over. pitt now will be a perennial playoff team. pitt is ready for bama now and for years to come.

I’m sure pitt athletic supporters are convinced of a changing of the guard in the acc. dabo has lost it at clempson, and pitt has taken over. pitt now will be a perennial playoff team. pitt is ready for bama now and for years to come.
But Pickett goes on social security next year and they will be back to square one.

Please share your list. I have no idea who would be realistic as a good fit and who would likely take the job.
I don't have a list, but I would definitely have him on the hot seat for 2022. Hopefully, he has a good recruiting class coming in for next year. But, if he gets another offer(USC, LSU, etc.) I would not match it and that goes for the assistants as well(and I like CJF).

Just curious what the "baggage" is that would preclude Meyer from coaching at PSU?

So to be clear. If Meyer were announced as the next PSU coach, some of you would be upset?

i perhaps used a bad example. What I mean is that there are coaches out there that despite not getting the highly rated recruits, are able to develop players which are competitive and outperform the expectations of that makes sense.

Jeff Hafley,Boston College
Luke Fickell, Cincy
Dave Dorean, NC State
Kyle Whittingham, Utah
Jeff Brohm, Purdue
PJ Fleck, Minnesota
Dave Clawson, Wake Forest
Is this a joke? No matter how much you hate Franklin, you can't possibly think that all of these guys are a step up. With the exception of Luke Fickell, hiring any of these other guys just sends a message that you have no interest in making Penn State Football a national program.

i perhaps used a bad example. What I mean is that there are coaches out there that despite not getting the highly rated recruits, are able to develop players which are competitive and outperform the expectations of that makes sense.
And they’re not getting the highly rated recruits because they’re not very good recruiters. Choosing to go to Iowa (for example) isn’t all that different than choosing to go to PSU for a recruit. The reason PSU is getting more of them is because of James Franklin and the fact that he’s a better recruiter than Kirk Ferentz. Recruiting is the most important piece to the puzzle and you don’t throw away someone who’s good at it because some fans don’t like the way he manages a game.

Reactions: step.eng69
And they’re not getting the highly rated recruits because they’re not very good recruiters. Choosing to go to Iowa (for example) isn’t all that different than choosing to go to PSU for a recruit. The reason PSU is getting more of them is because of James Franklin and the fact that he’s a better recruiter than Kirk Ferentz. Recruiting is the most important piece to the puzzle and you don’t throw away someone who’s good at it because some fans don’t like the way he manages a game.
Eh, I'd say PSU and Iowa are quite a bit different.

History, 100,000+ stadium and the proximity to much more talent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT