ADVERTISEMENT

If Durkin is let go, who does Maryland hire for 2019?

john4psu

Sep 7, 2003
Who would be some candidates for the Terps head coaching position?

Would Matt Rhule be interested coming back east? Schiano? Will Narduzzi reach out to try get away from Pitt? #Marduzzi

My first thought would be an in-house candidate, but on 2nd thought, they probably would want someone not connected to this scandal.

a_friedgen_i.jpg

Canada would be the obvious one, but he's not good at staying in one place for too long

Would Matt Rhule be interested coming back east? Schiano? Will Narduzzi reach out to try get away from Pitt? #Marduzzi

A better question is will they have any money left to hire a staff. If they do, the staff is going to come from column C.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II

Honestly, why would Narduzzi leave Pitt? He's just waiting things out until he goes back to Michigan State. He doesn't even have to win games at Pitt to be safe

Like MSU would want him back.

Time will tell--I guarantee he thinks that's where he ends up when D'Antonio walks away and that's really all that matters--what he believes to be true will dictate what he does. He's hoping those big wins over Penn State, Clemson, Miami trump everything else.

Not sure Rhule wants to go from cleaning up one scandal to another. Especially in the most competitive division in college football.

Reactions: BBrown
While they could certainly do worse I'm pretty sure Fridge hates the Terps now or at least past management.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...r-a-day/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.6f7fd07f23d4

Maryland announced in January that former Terps football coach Ralph Friedgen would be the featured speaker this Friday at Coach DJ Durkin’s spring coaches clinic at the recently renovated Cole Field House. Durkin and Friedgen, who have never met, recently explained how the reunion came about, and Friedgen said it wouldn’t have happened if Maryland Athletic Director Kevin Anderson, the man who fired him December 2010, weren’t in the midst of a six-month sabbatical.

“It was early on I decided to reach out to him,” Durkin — who was hired to replace Friedgen’s successor, Randy Edsall, after the 2015 season — told PressBox’s Glenn Clark. “I feel really strongly about in college football, the whole tradition of things and respect to those who came before you, both coaches, players alike. Coach Friedgen not only coached here, he went to school here. I think he’s a very important person in the history of this program, and so I just thought it was the right thing to do to reach out to him and really just more than anything just he and I to start a relationship. I did not know him or work with him any time previously.”

Friedgen was an offensive lineman at Maryland from 1966 to 1968. He served as the Terps’ offensive coordinator under Bobby Ross from 1982 to 1986 and then returned to College Park as the head coach in 2001 after stints at Georgia Tech and in the NFL. Friedgen led Maryland to 31 wins and an Orange Bowl berth in his first three seasons at Maryland but was fired after going 9-4 and leading the Terps to a win in the Military Bowl in 2010. In firing Friedgen, who went 75-50, including five bowl wins, during his decade in College Park, Anderson said he wanted to take the program from “good to great.” Edsall went 22-34 at Maryland and was fired six games into the 2015 season.

In 2011, Friedgen told Clark, “I could care less about Maryland. I’ve burned my diploma. I’m flying a Georgia Tech flag right now.” Friedgen maintains he was only joking, but after Rutgers came back to beat Maryland in College Park in November 2014, with Friedgen serving as the Scarlet Knights’ offensive coordinator, he described it as “a special win.” He made it clear that his appearance at Friday’s coaching clinic doesn’t mean he’s ready to move on from the way he was treated by his alma mater.

“I had reservations to whether I wanted to do it or not,” Friedgen told Clark. “I said, ‘Can you give me the weekend to kind of think about it?’ He said ‘sure.’ So then he kind of called me back and he said, ‘You know, if you’re not ready to do this, that’s fine, but I’m going to keep asking.’ So of course my wife wanted me to do it, so I told him I would do it. I don’t know how it’s going to go. I really questioned whether I’d ever set foot on Maryland’s campus again. Maybe after I talk it would be the last time. We’ll see.”

Friedgen said he wouldn’t have agreed to attend Friday’s event if Anderson were still in College Park. In October, about 48 hours after several media reports said Anderson had been fired, the school announced he would take a six-month sabbatical.

“I don’t know where Anderson is now. They say he’s on sabbatical,” Friedgen said. “I’ve never heard of an AD being on sabbatical. That might be the greatest secret kept in Maryland’s history.”

Friedgen, who stepped down as Rutgers’s offensive coordinator following the 2014 season, told Clark he texted Durkin after Maryland’s 38-13 loss at Wisconsin in October and told him he should reach out if there was anything Friedgen could do to help. Durkin called the 70-year-old Friedgen to ask for a critique of the game. Friedgen provided one, and the Terps beat Indiana the following week.

“You know, I had reached out to [Randy] Edsall when he was there, but he didn’t want to hear anything,” Friedgen told Clark.

Durkin said he hopes Friedgen’s involvement with Maryland continues after Friday’s event.

“Ralph’s supposed to be part of this program,” Durkin said. “He’s supposed to be still involved and engaged, and whatever happens, however you get to that, I’m just certainly happy that we’re moving back in that direction.”

Oh Canada
He’s there, but a newcomer so not really involved with the mess.
He usually doesn’t put down roots, but the money and the time granted to new coaches may keep him there for 3 or 5 years.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...r-a-day/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.6f7fd07f23d4

Maryland announced in January that former Terps football coach Ralph Friedgen would be the featured speaker this Friday at Coach DJ Durkin’s spring coaches clinic at the recently renovated Cole Field House. Durkin and Friedgen, who have never met, recently explained how the reunion came about, and Friedgen said it wouldn’t have happened if Maryland Athletic Director Kevin Anderson, the man who fired him December 2010, weren’t in the midst of a six-month sabbatical.

“It was early on I decided to reach out to him,” Durkin — who was hired to replace Friedgen’s successor, Randy Edsall, after the 2015 season — told PressBox’s Glenn Clark. “I feel really strongly about in college football, the whole tradition of things and respect to those who came before you, both coaches, players alike. Coach Friedgen not only coached here, he went to school here. I think he’s a very important person in the history of this program, and so I just thought it was the right thing to do to reach out to him and really just more than anything just he and I to start a relationship. I did not know him or work with him any time previously.”

Friedgen was an offensive lineman at Maryland from 1966 to 1968. He served as the Terps’ offensive coordinator under Bobby Ross from 1982 to 1986 and then returned to College Park as the head coach in 2001 after stints at Georgia Tech and in the NFL. Friedgen led Maryland to 31 wins and an Orange Bowl berth in his first three seasons at Maryland but was fired after going 9-4 and leading the Terps to a win in the Military Bowl in 2010. In firing Friedgen, who went 75-50, including five bowl wins, during his decade in College Park, Anderson said he wanted to take the program from “good to great.” Edsall went 22-34 at Maryland and was fired six games into the 2015 season.

In 2011, Friedgen told Clark, “I could care less about Maryland. I’ve burned my diploma. I’m flying a Georgia Tech flag right now.” Friedgen maintains he was only joking, but after Rutgers came back to beat Maryland in College Park in November 2014, with Friedgen serving as the Scarlet Knights’ offensive coordinator, he described it as “a special win.” He made it clear that his appearance at Friday’s coaching clinic doesn’t mean he’s ready to move on from the way he was treated by his alma mater.

“I had reservations to whether I wanted to do it or not,” Friedgen told Clark. “I said, ‘Can you give me the weekend to kind of think about it?’ He said ‘sure.’ So then he kind of called me back and he said, ‘You know, if you’re not ready to do this, that’s fine, but I’m going to keep asking.’ So of course my wife wanted me to do it, so I told him I would do it. I don’t know how it’s going to go. I really questioned whether I’d ever set foot on Maryland’s campus again. Maybe after I talk it would be the last time. We’ll see.”

Friedgen said he wouldn’t have agreed to attend Friday’s event if Anderson were still in College Park. In October, about 48 hours after several media reports said Anderson had been fired, the school announced he would take a six-month sabbatical.

“I don’t know where Anderson is now. They say he’s on sabbatical,” Friedgen said. “I’ve never heard of an AD being on sabbatical. That might be the greatest secret kept in Maryland’s history.”

Friedgen, who stepped down as Rutgers’s offensive coordinator following the 2014 season, told Clark he texted Durkin after Maryland’s 38-13 loss at Wisconsin in October and told him he should reach out if there was anything Friedgen could do to help. Durkin called the 70-year-old Friedgen to ask for a critique of the game. Friedgen provided one, and the Terps beat Indiana the following week.

“You know, I had reached out to [Randy] Edsall when he was there, but he didn’t want to hear anything,” Friedgen told Clark.

Durkin said he hopes Friedgen’s involvement with Maryland continues after Friday’s event.

“Ralph’s supposed to be part of this program,” Durkin said. “He’s supposed to be still involved and engaged, and whatever happens, however you get to that, I’m just certainly happy that we’re moving back in that direction.”

Sounds like things improved after Debbie Yow and Edsall left.

He just took the OC job with the Bears, but Mark Helfrich is a guy who has had some success

Here is a serious name for discussion - Al Golden. Keep in mind, coaches who have won and have good resumes are not going to be beating down the door for the job.

As bad of a coach as I think Al Golden is that does make a lot of sense...unless there will people out there complaining about hiring someone with Paterno ties. I don't think it's a great fit for Golden though. He needs to find a nice AAC or CUSA job if he wants to be a HC again

we've over looked the obvious one, John Donovan.

I know we’re joking and all, but what about Ricky Rahne or Brent Pry? Taking a top coordinator from one of your premiere regional rivals is a tried and true coaching hire strategy.

One of the priests on the PA grand jury list.

I know we’re joking and all, but what about Ricky Rahne or Brent Pry? Taking a top coordinator from one of your premiere regional rivals is a tried and true coaching hire strategy.
perhaps, but if DJ is gone, I think they go with someone with Maryland ties, either as a player or as a coach. Just my guess, mostly to clean up the smell of the program.
Would Frank Reich leave Indy for UMD? I doubt it, but stranger things have happened.

Reactions: step.eng69
perhaps, but if DJ is gone, I think they go with someone with Maryland ties, either as a player or as a coach. Just my guess, mostly to clean up the smell of the program.
Would Frank Reich leave Indy for UMD? I doubt it, but stranger things have happened.

Apparently thats who Boomer Essiason wanted after they got rid of Edsall.

If Frank Reich wasn't just named a HC I would think that would have been an excellent option even though I don't think he has any college experience

The only thing that makes Maryland somewhat attractive to a potential coach is the recruiting hotbed of the DMV. Coaches go to schools in these recruiting hotbeds thinking they will be able to land all of these 4 and 5 star prospects with a "Stay Home and Represent your Hometown" movement. They are correct that they could field a team with a lot of local talent if those kids signed with the school, but they quickly learn what happens when the powerhouse schools come knocking. Maryland's 2016 class is a good example of starting out strong with recruits such as Dwayne Haskins and others who eventually flipped when the "Stay Home" movement lost traction.

Ask Narduzzi how easy it is to recruit western PA, which is normally a talent rich area of football recruits (2019 is a way down year). Notre Dame, Penn State, Michigan and others have picked out who they wanted leaving Pitt with local kids without lists of top offers.

First two names that came to my mind:

Goldie Hawn

Matthew McConaughey

.... it's the sport of kings, better than diamond rings....

Reactions: pandaczar12
I don't know if he did or not. It was on the radio this morning and it was the first time I had ever heard it.
I am pretty sure he did, it would only make sense. Frank and Boomer were best of buds back in the day. I am pretty sure Boomer helped Frank get his first coaching job, and if you remember when Boomer was selling 'Members only' stuff, look and see who else is in the pictures, Frank.

The only thing that makes Maryland somewhat attractive to a potential coach is the recruiting hotbed of the DMV. Coaches go to schools in these recruiting hotbeds thinking they will be able to land all of these 4 and 5 star prospects with a "Stay Home and Represent your Hometown" movement. They are correct that they could field a team with a lot of local talent if those kids signed with the school, but they quickly learn what happens when the powerhouse schools come knocking. Maryland's 2016 class is a good example of starting out strong with recruits such as Dwayne Haskins and others who eventually flipped when the "Stay Home" movement lost traction.

Ask Narduzzi how easy it is to recruit western PA, which is normally a talent rich area of football recruits (2019 is a way down year). Notre Dame, Penn State, Michigan and others have picked out who they wanted leaving Pitt with local kids without lists of top offers.

I will add this one warning though. Yes it is a hot bed of talent but some of that talent has behavorial "issues" and many have "grade issues". Its a razor edge to walk. Franklin and Penn State do an excellent job of it.

I am pretty sure he did, it would only make sense. Frank and Boomer were best of buds back in the day. I am pretty sure Boomer helped Frank get his first coaching job, and if you remember when Boomer was selling 'Members only' stuff, look and see who else is in the pictures, Frank.

The other thing that was being talked about this morning and again first I heard of it. Kevin Plank was not a Durkin fan. So I'm actually kind of surprised MD went ahead and hired him without the full support of a major, major donor.

Reactions: step.eng69
It's not going to be easy for Md. to hire an experienced and successful coach. It might require some alum like Reich taking the job out of loyalty to his alma mater. Really they probably need to hire an AD and try to get their whole athletic program fixed and then raise money and try to hire a big league football coach.

But otherwise, it's hard to see Md as very good stepping stone for a hot coach right now. They're stuck in the B1G east, almost guaranteed pounding four or 5 games every year. Their recruiting territory is highly contested because it's in range of B1G and SEC -- so Md. is only going to get players who Ohio State, PSU, Michigan, Alabama passed on -- and will even lose a good number of those players to places like Va. Tech, Wisconsin.

Basically they have similar issues to Rutgers -- small stadium, a little better football tradition than Rutgers but still basketball was No. 1 at Md for so long, that is not good for football recruiting.

Reactions: royboy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT